Bang & Olufsen TV's for retro gaming - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2 Old 08-30-2013, 03:45 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi, does anyone have experience with using a Bang & Olufsen CRT TV for retro gaming?

My aim has been to find a TV that has a less strongly scanlined and more 'arcadey' look to it. My 25 inch Sony trinitron shows scanlines quite prominently when used with my RGB modded NTSC N64.

I'm looking into early 90's Loewe, Grundig & Blaupunkt sets as I've been told they're really good, but they are hard to come by, whereas the Bang & Olufsen sets are hugely more available second hand here in the UK. They've often been looked after incredibly well too. I've heard great reports about them being used for retro games. The MX range seems to be the sweet spot for retro games

Here's my question:

The one thing I heard about them (& just confirmed by reading their website) is that they use what they call a 'VisionClear grey glass contrast screen' which is basically a grey tint in the screen glass. I'm worried that this might detract from the brightness and 'pop' of the picture - one of the qualities I would value most in a CRT. Am I worrying unnecessarily about this?

If so, then this would probably be the TV for me as I can easily find one. The MX 4000/6000/7000 range seems to be the sweet spot for retro games - not too old, not too new. They were produced from 1992 to 2003 - but there might have been a point at which digital processing, 100hz, line doubling etc was introduced to the line (which I want to avoid, right?). Or perhaps they would have kept the guts the same for the whole production period. 11 years seems a long time not to update the internals though?

I'm hoping that the screen will have a softer look than my trinitron which would mellow and blend in some of the N64's's rough output picture quality but also 'pop'

My other worry with the B&O MX series is that they only come in 21 inch (MX4000) and 28 inch (MX6000/7000) models. 25 inches is the sweet spot for me - but the only 25 model is the later beovision 1 (produced 2000-2005) Do you think these would be less suited to retro gaming because of them likely having more processing?

Thanks smile.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 12-24-2013, 07:50 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Sorry to do this - Bump....
Reply Direct View (single tube) CRT Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version