As the title says, I have a picture but no sound. There was a surge the other day when my microwave went out. Somehow it overloaded the circuits and blew out my audio amp in the TV, I'm guessing.
Can I cut the speaker wires off of the internal speakers, put electrical tape over them, then run a set of speaker wires to an amplifier, such as this: http://www.amazon.com/LP-2020A-Lepai-Tripath-Class-T-Amplifier/dp/B0049P6OTI/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top
- then run the RCA cables out to my DVDR and play the sound that way? It's a really old TV and I sure do love it. I should probably get another TV, but I'd like to fix this one, if I can.
The speakers have power to them and work, there is just no sound. I tried to strip back one side of an RCA cable to get to the positive and negative wires. I plugged the left into my DVDR and touched them to the speaker. It blew a fuse. The next time it sparked. The speakers have 2 prongs extending back from where the wires are soldered on, so I'm not sure what they are there for. As a side note, the TV has no other connections, other than an RF input with the old style antenna hookups for UHF and VHF.
Any help I could get would be appreciated. I do have a surround system that I can get the sound through out of my DVDR, but I like playing the TV without having to turn on several devices just to get sound.
Sorry if this is too long-winded, but I wanted to provide some details so as not to generate too many unanswered questions.
I don't know the model number because the sticker is gone on the back. There is a wiring diagram on the inside for a tech but I'm not sure if the model number of the TV is there.
P.S. If it helps, there appears to be 3 or 4 circuit boards in the TV, plus the RF tuner box, as opposed to the Thompson layout.