Question re: slightly skewed picture on SD CRT using dvd player - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 10-17-2013, 01:38 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi all, I was hoping to ask for some help with something.

I've been using a GE 20" 20GT331B CRT tv hooked up to a Pye PY840G dvd/vhs combo unit in my bedroom to watch dvd's on for several years now, and I recently switched the GE for a Sansui TVS2746A 27" CRT. The GE only has coaxial input so it was hooked up to an RF modulator which was hooked up to the dvd player, the Sansui is hooked up via S-video straight to the dvd player.

The problem is that the picture on the Sansui seems a little stretched, in that people seem just a little too tall and/or their faces and bodies just a little too thin. It's not extreme or anything, it just looks a little off to me. It could possibly even be that I'm not used to having the bigger tv but I'm not sure if that's it or not. The GE wasn't hooked up to cable or Dish Network or anything, so basically the only two things I watched on it were Buffy the Vampire Slayer and another show on dvd so the difference in picture seems kind of noticeable to me since I'm so used to watching just those shows. The other show didn't seem skewed when I watched it however so it seems like it might just be the Buffy dvd now that I think about it.

The Sansui was hooked up to Dish Network until we got rid of Dish a couple months ago and the picture was fine then, no problem at all, and it has just been sitting there for a couple months so it wouldn't seem like the Sansui is broken or anything, I just can't figure it out. They're both 4:3 tv's so I can't think of any reason the picture would be stretched. Is there any setting on either the tv or dvd player to hit to possibly change the picture or something like that? Also like I say I didn't notice anything off with the other show so it seems like it might be isolated to the Buffy dvd, however the Buffy dvd's also played on the old GE tv and I didn't notice any problems on it. Any help would be appreciated, this is getting in the way of me enjoying my Buffy! tongue.gif

Thanks a bunch,
J
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 10-17-2013, 02:05 PM

Liked: 15
Just a guess, but I'm thinking that there must be a setting in the DVD player or the TV that is causing a conflict. The TVs likely have different ways of handling the DVD input. Try messing around with the picture size options on the TV and output options on the DVD player. I would set the DVD player to 4:3 letterbox output first and go from there.

Good luck!
post #3 of 5 Old 10-17-2013, 10:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Indeed. I borrowed an odd DVD movie from my neighbor awhile back - was standard on one side and widescreen on the flip side. Required me to change the aspect setting on my Panny as I played the different sides or I would see the same kind of nonsense.

post #4 of 5 Old 10-18-2013, 12:45 AM - Thread Starter

Liked: 10
Thanks a bunch for the help. My dvd player was already on 4:3 letterbox so I switched it to 4:3 pan & scan and that seems to have fixed it, which is weird since Buffy is only available in 4:3 to begin with. We'll see if it needs to be switched back and forth with other dvd's but for now it's good. Thanks again. cool.gif
post #5 of 5 Old 10-18-2013, 11:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Could be the TV is set wrong so you're offsetting it via the DVD player.

Reply Direct View (single tube) CRT Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page