So how do I haggle down the RCA F38310 price at Circuit City? :) - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 26 Old 06-23-2002, 12:28 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Now that I've finally decided on the model I am getting, I want to get the best price. I see a lot of posts in here where people were able to get prices at Circuit City below the $1999 it is listed at now.

Do you just say, "I'll take it for $1900." Or "I'll take it if you throw in a three year warranty." I don't haggle and didn't even know you could at stores...thought that was a car dealer/contractor thing only.

Do the salemen work on commission or something? (Any Portland CC employees reading this, let me know, I'll buy from you if so.)

I'm thinking of driving two hours south to buy it in Portland, Oregon instead of Tacoma...save me about $175 in tax. Any drawbacks to doing that? I can use a Suburban to transport it.

Danananananananana...Batman! (No reason, just wanted a signature.)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 Old 06-23-2002, 01:35 PM
AVS Special Member

They recently had it here for $1799. I was in yeterday and noticed
it back up to $1999. They said that they probably will have it down again
for the 4th of July.

Doug McDonald
post #3 of 26 Old 06-23-2002, 08:03 PM - Thread Starter

$1799, wow, wish I'd seen that. Was that Portland by any chance? :)

Thanks for the head's up, maybe I'll wait for July 4th now. I've been waiting six months, what's another week.

post #4 of 26 Old 06-24-2002, 12:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 12
when the set is listing at $1999, i hear you can talk them down to even mid $1800s. Cool thing is, you can buy it now and save even more $$$ if the price goes down because they'll match the price plus 10% of the difference, so if you anticipate a pricedrop it might even be to your advantage to get it before the price change.

When they were listing at $2499 i actually talked the guy down to $2150, free shipping, IF i bougth the 3 year service plan. Then when the store dropped it to $1939 i got the difference plus 10%. i probably could have even had it for $100 less if i waited but i've been enjoying my set too much in the meantime to worry about that.
post #5 of 26 Old 06-24-2002, 01:43 PM

Waltz in there and say "I saw this set go for $1799 at Circuit City x days/weeks/months ago, can ya do that for me?". I did that for the 36xbr450 and I got it down from $2400 to $1999 (buying the extended warranty doesn't hurt, but I was planning on buying it anways). I've started haggling for all my electronics since about a year ago and it _always_ works. The key I feel, is not needing the product that day. As long as you feel ok walking out of the store with no product, then you feel you have nothing to loose and you sound more level and confident.

Panasonic 60VT60, Integra 9.9, Outlaw Amp, Sunfire EQ10, Liquid cooled Windows 7 Media Center

post #6 of 26 Old 06-25-2002, 06:49 AM - Thread Starter

Okay, I'll give it a shot soon. Since I'm probably going to be driving down to Portland to get it, I'll have to pretend I don't need the product that day...I don't want to drive down again just to haggle. :)

I can just take one home with me, right? I don't have to have it delivered or anything if I don't want to I hope.

post #7 of 26 Old 06-25-2002, 08:31 AM

You'll need a very big car, or van or truck and some one to help you carry it. Three people total is better.
post #8 of 26 Old 06-25-2002, 08:56 AM

Let them deliver it, they even come in, unpack it, and put it on your TV stand. And, if you don't like it, they'll come back and pick it up.

Panasonic 60VT60, Integra 9.9, Outlaw Amp, Sunfire EQ10, Liquid cooled Windows 7 Media Center

post #9 of 26 Old 06-25-2002, 09:35 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked: 282
Quote:
Originally posted by jackcs
You'll need a very big car, or van or truck and some one to help you carry it. Three people total is better.
A real big car will not do!! I asked my friend to help that has a big old chevy station wagon. I JUST fit (by 1/4 inch) and that was out of the box!
A van or pick-up is the only way. And... I agree, three people at least, four if you're old and lazy like me! This beast is 260lbs., awkward to manipulate and front heavy.
post #10 of 26 Old 06-25-2002, 11:08 AM - Thread Starter

The thing is, if I buy it in Portland, they aren't going to deliver it to me in Washington. As long as they will load it into the car for me, I can get people to unpack/carry it at my house.

The car is a Chevy Suburban (giant SUV thing), which is pretty big. I may have to get measurements on the box to see if it will fit though. Anyone know how tall the box is?

post #11 of 26 Old 06-25-2002, 12:15 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked: 282
The set is 26"H x 42"W and 27"D out of the box. Add the packing stuff on all sides by (my guess) 5" ??? Just my guess...
So... 36x52x37 ???
Oh BTW.... if you get the 'matching stand', it comes assembled! So that's pretty big also!!!
post #12 of 26 Old 06-25-2002, 02:13 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks. Three feet will be tight, I'll have to measure the back end later tonight.

No matching stand for me. One of the reasons I had to go direct view over RPTV was the vertical size. The TV will sit on a wooden unit that I don't want to move. :)

post #13 of 26 Old 06-25-2002, 10:42 PM

I bought mine at CC for 1,850.00..... that was down from 1,950. Great bargin. I really love the tv. Im just glad I paid the 40 bucks for del....the first one I received was working fine until 3 weeks in and then the picture started flickering ....they picked it up and at the same time brought my new one....love it....

Loving MY HDTV...More CH's PLEASE!!
post #14 of 26 Old 06-26-2002, 11:27 AM - Thread Starter

Hmmm....that would suck if I drove down to Portland to get the TV and it stopped working after a couple weeks, or right away. Now I'm wondering if it is worth the two hour drive to save $175 plus whatever a delivery fee might be.

How often do these sets need to be replaced?

post #15 of 26 Old 06-26-2002, 11:32 AM
AVS Special Member

because of the size and weight of the tv, i would try and get free shipping in part of the deal, that way if you do have a problem, since they shipped it to you they would have to pick it up.
post #16 of 26 Old 06-26-2002, 02:56 PM - Thread Starter

They won't ship to me without charging me tax though, which is what I'm trying to avoid by going down to Oregon. It's only about a two hour drive, but I'm starting to think the risk isn't worth it.

post #17 of 26 Old 06-26-2002, 03:42 PM

My first one lasted exactly 3 weeks and then started acting up.... There is alot of technology packed inside this tv..... but there are people that have no problems with the tv at all.....I was just unlucky ...who knows

Loving MY HDTV...More CH's PLEASE!!
post #18 of 26 Old 06-26-2002, 06:31 PM

FYI...the CC web site price has dropped to $1939.
post #19 of 26 Old 06-27-2002, 11:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Last night the local Circuit City "sale" price was $1899,
$100 more than the last sale price. The guy seemed willing to
bargain.
post #20 of 26 Old 06-27-2002, 11:51 AM

WIth CC you need to invest some of your time with the sales person. At some point they will want to close the sale just to justify the time they have spent with you. When you get to that point start to bargain but be ready to walk. Twice I've had the sales person run after me to meet my price.
post #21 of 26 Old 06-29-2002, 10:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Johnr - you are absolutely correct.

when i bought mine, even after i haggled the price way down (by 3 months' ago's standard, i thought $2150 was a steal!) i wasn't totally sure i was going to buy it and had to go across the street to a restaurant to get a drink to think it over. The guy followed me out of the store to see if i was actually leaving or not! he was a nice guy but i thought that was pretty funny. two beers later i bought the tv, and have since gotten more money back from CC with the price drops.
post #22 of 26 Old 06-29-2002, 08:13 PM
hob

You drive two hours to pick it up will be IMO one of worst mistakes. The F-38310 is 216 pounds without the CRATE they ship it in.

Who else is coming along, we are talking dimensions of 25 inches deep and 25 inches high and 42 inches wide. I just went over in my wheel chair and took a lufkin measuring tape to it.

PLUS the weight of the wooden crate that it comes in. You going to buy the locking stand that has 2 shelves that are part of the stand and 2 glass doors.

Man you might think your Lurch (Ted Cassidy) from the Addams Family, but you try to pull this off to save a few bucks, you are going to be one sorry human being IMHO!
post #23 of 26 Old 07-04-2002, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Lurch
Now that I've finally decided on the model I am getting, I want to get the best price. I see a lot of posts in here where people were able to get prices at Circuit City below the $1999 it is listed at now.

Do you just say, "I'll take it for $1900." Or "I'll take it if you throw in a three year warranty." I don't haggle and didn't even know you could at stores...thought that was a car dealer/contractor thing only.

Do the salemen work on commission or something? (Any Portland CC employees reading this, let me know, I'll buy from you if so.)

I'm thinking of driving two hours south to buy it in Portland, Oregon instead of Tacoma...save me about $175 in tax. Any drawbacks to doing that? I can use a Suburban to transport it.
Last month they had two floor models at my local PC Richards with 1200.00 tags on them, looked cosmetically perfect. I’m sure they would have let those sets go for close to 1k. Tell them you realize the set is nothing but problems, the internal rca receiver will be a moot point when the merger D* & E* goes through and it’s slated to be discontinued as well. Usually the salesman knows much less about their products than the consumer. If you buy one I would definitely get an extended service plan (3 or 5yr) and tell them that as well before you start dealing because they love selling service plans for commissions.
post #24 of 26 Old 07-04-2002, 01:22 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by hob
Who else is coming along, we are talking dimensions of 25 inches deep and 25 inches high and 42 inches wide. I just went over in my wheel chair and took a lufkin measuring tape to it.
I'm the only one picking it up. I called down to the warehouse and they measured the crate at 31" in height, which gives me 3-4" of clearance at the lowest point. They also said they would load it into the truck for me. Once I get it home I can get a bunch of friends to help unload it. :)

Quote:
Originally posted by hob
You going to buy the locking stand that has 2 shelves that are part of the stand and 2 glass doors.
Nope, no stand for me, don't have room for it.

Quote:
Originally posted by hob
Man you might think your Lurch (Ted Cassidy) from the Addams Family, but you try to pull this off to save a few bucks, you are going to be one sorry human being IMHO!
It turns out I have no choice. The TV is out of stock at all the stores close to me. The closest one in stock is down in Oregon where they have plenty. They won't ship to me so I have to go get it. I could probably get a local store to have it shipped in from elsewhere, but I hate waiting around for delivery men anyway. Hopefully it isn't too bad. I can lift 100+ lbs trunks without any problem, so two or three guys like me on the tv should be enough. :)

Quote:
Originally posted by Shaun
Last month they had two floor models at my local PC Richards with 1200.00 tags on them, looked cosmetically perfect. I’m sure they would have let those sets go for close to 1k. Tell them you realize the set is nothing but problems, the internal rca receiver will be a moot point when the merger D* & E* goes through and it’s slated to be discontinued as well. Usually the salesman knows much less about their products than the consumer. If you buy one I would definitely get an extended service plan (3 or 5yr) and tell them that as well before you start dealing because they love selling service plans for commissions.
I'll keep that in mind for bargaining...plan on going down this weekend, maybe tomorrow. Wish I had a store around here selling a floor model for $1200. I'm going to shoot for $1950 with the three year warranty...I hope they go that low, currently it is around $1930 and the warranty is $170 or so. Most other stores are around $2400 here.

post #25 of 26 Old 07-07-2002, 06:46 AM
AVS Special Member

what's the latest in this odyssey? did you ever get down to Oregon?
post #26 of 26 Old 07-19-2002, 12:06 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by imws
what's the latest in this odyssey? did you ever get down to Oregon?
Sorry for the slow update, finally did go down and pick one up over the July 4th weekend. I must suck at bargaining, I got no leeway. The price was $1900. I added on the warranty, didn't help. I bought about $1500 of other electronics stuff there and got no price break on the total. :(

I even left the store and the salesman, a stocky blond haired guy, didn't budge on the price. I came back later and bought it. It's not as heavy as I thought, wasn't that big of a hassle to get it in and out of the truck. I just wish they had built little finger holds on the base because it can crush your fingers pretty bad if you're not careful.

I'm spending my time building a swivel board to put the tv on right now...got a lazy susan that supports 1000lb. I figure that will make it easier to get to the back of the tv (it's in a corner and nearly impossible otherwise.)

My biggest complaint is that they made the top of it so narrow and curved that I can't set my DVD and VHS players on top of my tv anymore, which is a huge pain in the ass for me. I'm going to have to jerry rig some shelf support thing to put on top of the tv to do this now.

Closed Thread Direct View (single tube) CRT Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page