Craigslist HD CRT - Should I take a chance on this? (Sony KV-30HS420) - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 11-04-2013, 02:50 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

Hi everyone, 1st post on this site!

http://denver.craigslist.org/ele/4164193680.html

Sony KV-30HS420 30" 16:9 1080i CRT TV

I've been looking for an "old school" CRT HDTV for a while, I've never owned one but always wanted one for the display quality and nostalgia. LOL.  

This would be in addition to our 70" Vizio M701D that we got from Costco last week and a 52" Samsung LN-T5271F LCD bought in 2007.  Love the picture on both screens, but want a smaller screen to use mainly for gaming.  (Have a couple 32" vizios not currently in use but just want the CRT experience for gaming. Also can't locate the base stands for the smaller vizios and don't feel like wall mounting a 32" screen just for gaming)

Does anyone think this specific TV would be worth the ~30 minute drive and $25? Also with how heavy and bulky it is...

Back when these CRT HDTV's were sold in stores I was busy finishing up college and paying off student loans, then when I finally had the money to spare all that was available were plasma, DLP, and LCD screens... I would really like a CRT HD set but you never know with craigslist.

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 11-04-2013, 03:02 PM - Thread Starter

Also a bit further away but I could probably talk them down to $40 or $50 as the listing has been up since 9/29

http://denver.craigslist.org/search/?areaID=13&subAreaID=&query=samsung+slimfit&catAbb=sss

post #3 of 9 Old 11-05-2013, 08:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 39
I don't have either one but the Sonys are some of the best. If you're willing to gain some weight there's also a 34" at close to 200 lbs. Here's some general model info:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FD_Trinitron/WEGA

That Super Fine Pitch tube on some of the more recent models gives even higher horizontal resolution. I'm watching for a 960. Note that even though the 970 was the last one made it doesn't have the SFP tube (I suspect it was a cost-reduced model to compete with the plasmas as CRTs diminished).

That Samsung is probably newer based on having an HD tuner. The seller claims it's only 4 years old, if that's true that would mean it's probably one of the last CRT TVs made for the US. Could very well be with that slimfit design. I think that's the one with a shorter picture tube so you might want to dig around and see if it has geometry issues (i.e. it's hard to get good geometry the shorter the neck is).
AurJohn likes this.

post #4 of 9 Old 11-05-2013, 08:53 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks, I'm not in any hurry whatsoever so I may as well keep my eyes open for a 960.  Good info!

post #5 of 9 Old 11-05-2013, 09:16 AM
AVS Special Member

You're welcome! That Samsung is pretty 'fresh' for a CRT, I just don't know how good they were. I've seen a thread on those here somewhere within this CRT forum link I have saved as a favorite:

http://www.avsforum.com/f/64/direct-view-single-tube-crt-displays

Might 'net search the model number too and read some archived reviews like CNET.
AurJohn likes this.

post #6 of 9 Old 11-05-2013, 02:47 PM

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by AurJohn View Post

Hi everyone, 1st post on this site!

http://denver.craigslist.org/ele/4164193680.html

Sony KV-30HS420 30" 16:9 1080i CRT TV

I've been looking for an "old school" CRT HDTV for a while, I've never owned one but always wanted one for the display quality and nostalgia. LOL.  
This would be in addition to our 70" Vizio M701D that we got from Costco last week and a 52" Samsung LN-T5271F LCD bought in 2007.  Love the picture on both screens, but want a smaller screen to use mainly for gaming.  (Have a couple 32" vizios not currently in use but just want the CRT experience for gaming. Also can't locate the base stands for the smaller vizios and don't feel like wall mounting a 32" screen just for gaming)

Does anyone think this specific TV would be worth the ~30 minute drive and $25? Also with how heavy and bulky it is...

Back when these CRT HDTV's were sold in stores I was busy finishing up college and paying off student loans, then when I finally had the money to spare all that was available were plasma, DLP, and LCD screens... I would really like a CRT HD set but you never know with craigslist.

Thanks!

Picked-up one of these exact sets for free off craigslist about two years ago. Outstanding picture, and unlike my other CRT units, perfect geometry in letterbox. It is "small" enough to fit in the back of a Prius! But still heavier than you would want to carry alone. wink.gif

Would I buy one for $25? No, but that's because I can get them for free. I could have had another 34" Panasonic HD CRT for free last weekend, but didn't have the time or assistant / vehicle needed to get it. Besides, hate to be greedy. smile.gif
AurJohn likes this.
post #7 of 9 Old 11-05-2013, 04:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonLoaf View Post

but didn't have the time or assistant

Same problem here as I've missed out on some stellar sets, most not quite free though. My neighbors thought I was nuts when I had one of them help me move a big ol' heavy 'tube' TV into my house from my van. redface.gif
"small" enough biggrin.gif

BTW AurJohn those Panasonics are darn nice too. I've got one of the earlier models (CT-34WX50), great pic and killer sound (5 speaker with built-in audio waveguide system).
These old CRTs are exceptional with SD content too.
AurJohn likes this.

post #8 of 9 Old 11-06-2013, 04:15 PM - Thread Starter

http://denver.craigslist.org/zip/4165493658.html

She says it's a KV36XBR250, which according to the wikipedia chart it is "Hi-Scan 4:3, No HDMI".  It is listed below the "first HDTV CRT released by Sony" - does this mean it displays "hi-scan" (1080i x 853) but i cannot input a 1080i signal? I'm confused.  But the thing is free! But it weighs a ton... Thanks guys

post #9 of 9 Old 11-06-2013, 04:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AurJohn View Post

http://denver.craigslist.org/zip/4165493658.html

She says it's a KV36XBR250, which according to the wikipedia chart it is "Hi-Scan 4:3, No HDMI".  It is listed below the "first HDTV CRT released by Sony" - does this mean it displays "hi-scan" (1080i x 853) but i cannot input a 1080i signal? I'm confused.  But the thing is free! But it weighs a ton... Thanks guys

I don't think they're necessarily in chronological order - more by type and then I suspect model/date. Observe that the 970 is the last CRT HDTV but it's not at the top of the list (i.e. the Super Fine Pitch is the cat's meow).
I'd say if it can display it it can take it in. Might do a search on that model for specs and what kind of inputs it has, seems like it'd have to have component.

Reply Direct View (single tube) CRT Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page