Composite cables produce lighter black levels than component? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 11-08-2013, 04:01 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked: 40
I've noticed on my previous 3 crts(and now my 27" Sony wega trinitron SDTV) that using basic composite cables produces a light shade of black for the black levels(Aside from the picture being less bright, sharp and colorful but that's normal) Vs the inky deep blacks that my 2 pairs of component cables produce? what's the deal? if i use composite should i be knocking the brightness below 50 to get the blacks looking black(Maybe Composite is produces too much brightness?) or maybe this is just another limmiation of composite?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 11-08-2013, 04:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Component has a separate B&W signal so better. Now the TVs probably require different settings for those inputs so give it a try.

post #3 of 6 Old 11-08-2013, 05:07 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 26
On a previous sony CRT the svideo had a brighter colorful picture vs components dark less colorful look.
post #4 of 6 Old 11-08-2013, 09:04 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked: 40
I'm going to rehook my composite cables up and try lowering the brightness a little, hopefully i'm not crushing any shadow detail that would be present using component. But i can toggle between the two while they're both hooked up.
It's best that i just get a another Receiver for my retro set up that has component inputs and outputs, that way i'll be set! But that's going to cost me over $200 which i dont' have at the moment, so either i keep unhooking my wii and DVD component cables to use one another which is extremely annoying considering the awkward place my TV is in, or i just use composite for DVD(gives off more of a retro/vintage look anyways!) and component for Wii. I DO have a monoprice Component splitter, but when it's in use with the wii there's additional input lag, so i tossed it. The Sony 2010 receiver i have hooked up in my living room yields no noticeable lag when gaming using component cables, so I'm going to pick the same model up off eBay and plunk it in my retro set up. then i'll be set! tongue.gif

EDIT: Yup, that did the trick. This will tide me over until i get that receiver. cool.gif
post #5 of 6 Old 11-09-2013, 11:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic12345 View Post

On a previous sony CRT the svideo had a brighter colorful picture vs components dark less colorful look.

Probably the TV settings. I had to back the color way down on my Panny for s-video and composite as the red was ridiculous (seems to be a common problem on CRTs, or at least the HD variety). On component it's nearly perfect.

post #6 of 6 Old 11-09-2013, 11:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Component will give the best overall performance of this batch of connections. A component switch would do the trick; a passive switch should have no lag and an active switch should be almost no lag (a buffered/amp version if 'properly' designed should be OK too). A resistive or transmission-line splitter should have no lag but I suspect yours is reactive and/or active (or maybe the weaker signal is causing a signal capture delay).
I would think anything that only goes up to component (i.e. below DVI/HDMI) would be cheap these days since hardly anyone uses the stuff anymore. I've seen free ads on Craigslist for less than HDMI AVRs. Of course maybe you want an HDMI AVR for down the road but be careful as the new stuff is getting stingy with the number of component connections.

Reply Direct View (single tube) CRT Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page