Sony 34XBR2 and DVP NS700P DVD..Should it lock on Progressive? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 14 Old 06-26-2002, 12:12 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi all,

I've had these two matched up for a few months and had a quick question. I have the DVD player connected to the Video 5 Input of the TV. But I've noticed that I can change between, Full, Zoom, Wide Zoom and Normal when the DVD is playing in progressive mode.

I've selected the progressive switch in the back and the light shows up on the front of the player. I thought that the 34XBR2 would lock on the progressive signal and not allow the change. Is this wrong?

I also remember a thread a while back regarding Input 5 issues, could that be the case?

Assuming my settings are correct today, which mode should the tv be in when watching DVDs?

Thanks,

Eric
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 06-26-2002, 12:42 PM

The Tv will not lock. Progressive is only the scan mode. It will however choose the right mode on initial boot of a DVD. Just leave the mode alone.

The 5 vs 6 input issue was regarding the TV's propensity to change mode periodically in the video 5 input. I changed it to 6 and the problem is fixed. I do remember someone commenting that according to Sony, video 5 was not for progressive inputs. You can use the Sony's progressive scan and turn off the DVD player's if you want to use video 5.

HDTV - Get The Picture!
post #3 of 14 Old 06-26-2002, 01:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Geez, I wish people would read my past posts!! The problem with a DVD player flickering when on Video 5 has to do with a defective B board on all KD-34XBR2s.

Get your B board replaced while the thing is still in warranty and you'll be happy.

unOFFICIAL D-Box FAQ here!
Hail to the King, baby!
post #4 of 14 Old 06-26-2002, 01:33 PM

I'll make a note: Read your posts.:D

Since I have only one DVD player, I have no problem....

HDTV - Get The Picture!
post #5 of 14 Old 06-26-2002, 01:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Well, you should still get the problem fixed unless you do not plan on keeping your HDTV for very long.

What happens if you have additional component input devices down the road? Who knows what issues the bad B board will have with devices other than DVD players.

Hail to the King, baby!
post #6 of 14 Old 06-26-2002, 02:11 PM - Thread Starter

Drvais and webmarin,

Thanks for the replys. I do read your posts! That's why I got this monster in the first place. You guys were one of the first to have this tv.

Drvais, my DVD doesn't switch modes on its own on Input 5. Does this mean I'm okay?

Also, what if I get an hd stb (panny or sony), will I have problems if I connect it on input 5? My production date is October of 2001 so I'm not sure if they were fixed by then. I currently have the Gamecube on Input 6 and will have an issue when I finally get an hd stb.

So if I'm watching the Gladiator DVD, which mode should I be in. Right now, it looks good in Wide Zoom, with Full looking a bit stretched.

Thanks again,

Eric
post #7 of 14 Old 06-26-2002, 02:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Change your DVD player's output to 16x9 (or Widescreen, whatever your player calls it), then set the HDTV to FULL mode. This will make the picture appear the way it should be.

I can't guarantee that your HDTV won't have the issue. You have one of two options (A) borrow or buy a progressive scan DVD player, hook it into Input 5, then see if it flickers repeatedly, or (B) just go ahead and have a technician come out and replace the B board (tell them you believe it is faulty, and if they don't believe you, have THEM bring out a progressive scan DVD player to test it with). One of my past posts has the exact product number of the B board, but saying "B board" should suffice.

Hail to the King, baby!
post #8 of 14 Old 06-26-2002, 02:26 PM - Thread Starter

drvais,

Wow that was quick, not to beat a dead horse but my DVD is a progressive scan, that's why I was concerned. My usual method of watching DVDs is: Turn TV on, change to input 5, then turn on Sony DVD player. The progressive light turns on telling me I'm in progressive mode, but if I switch the TV mode to Full, things look "stretchy", whereas wide zoom looks the most natural.

regards,

eric
post #9 of 14 Old 06-26-2002, 02:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Well, once again, go into the setup of your DVD player, and set the output to Widescreen or 16x9. Just b/c your player is progressively scanning, it doesn't mean that it will automatically be set to 16x9 from the factory.

Hail to the King, baby!
post #10 of 14 Old 06-26-2002, 02:36 PM - Thread Starter

Okay, Gotcha...I'll check it out when I get home later tonight. Really not that dense, honestly, LOL.

Thanks for the patience.

Eric
post #11 of 14 Old 06-26-2002, 02:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Glad I could help. Hope you learn to enjoy this TV as much as I have.

And if you ever get really adventurous, buy the Service Manual from Sony to learn lots more about the set (including the infamous hidden MemoryStick slot that Sony is now supporting on its newer sets).

Hail to the King, baby!
post #12 of 14 Old 06-27-2002, 12:02 AM - Thread Starter

Drvais,

Okay, I'm going to retract my previous comment, I AM DENSE..LOL. All I can say is OH MY GOD (unless that phrase too is unconstitutional).

Took your advice and checked out the setup of my DVD player, sure enough it was set to 4:3, switched it to 16:9 and fired up gladiator and almost feel to my knees. I gained a full 3 inches of vertical picture!!!

Check out the difference, unbelievable (keep in mind the photos are a tad blurry, no tripod) Anyway, you'll get the drift.

First picture is 4:3 Full
Second is 16:9 Full

http://photos.yahoo.com/eilopez99

I always knew there was something funny but I really couldn't put my finger on it. Everytime I watched the beginning of Gladiator during the beginning text, it was always a bit blurry around the letters. No matter if I had it in Full or Wide Zoom (which has been the way I've been watching DVD's since I got this set) The wife always said that there was too much black on top and bottom and I told her (chest puffing out) that it's the way the directors make the movies, aspect ratio etc, etc. She would just roll her eyes. Now I just feel stupid...but in a good way. Just don't tell my wife : )

Looks like I'll be watching a bunch of movies this weekend. Nothing but thanks from this fellow 34XBR2 owner, thank you, thank you, thank you.

-eric
post #13 of 14 Old 06-27-2002, 02:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Hope your wife appreciates your purchase now. BTW, I couldn't get your link to go to any HT-related pictures.

Hail to the King, baby!
post #14 of 14 Old 06-27-2002, 09:53 AM - Thread Starter

Sorry about that, only reaffirms my previous statement about the density of my head. Forgot to open the pictures to the public.....small detail.

Anyway, should be viewable now ,thanks.

eric
Closed Thread Direct View (single tube) CRT Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page