AVS Forum banner

4K CRT... Is it possible!?

9K views 5 replies 6 participants last post by  T_RC Computer History 
#1 ·
Lets face it.

Sony and Panasonic aren't going to make them no matter how much we all whinge on this board, but I don't doubt for a second that the technology doesn't exist.

I recently got my Trinitron to 2560x1600 and I get no blur whatsoever!

It was made over 15 years ago now!

With today's technology I see no reason why a private company couldn't make one.

I don't care for a second about the price! If I heard a company make a 4K CRT and it cost a million pounds and I had that kind of cash I would be a very poor man with a very nice telly very quickly!

Surely someone somewhere is up to the task!?

See less See more
#3 ·

yes its possible, the only way it will happen is if someone who wants one is rich enough to have some made. not sure what the TRUE reason would be. either not enough demand or not a big enough market, or low margins, we may never know.

if only we could make a 4K 0.22mm AG pitch Trinitron CRT TV/Monitor with Display port (VGA is disappearing) and no horizonatal support wires, we could also make them have thinner bezels and be smaller front to back.

#4 ·
yes its possible, the only way it will happen is if someone who wants one is rich enough to have some made. not sure what the TRUE reason would be.
Any CRT including ancient monochrome tubes with proper focus field strength and modern electronics could Be driven to display 4k

It would be color banded to all heck but you could display 4K regardless

Trinitrons you can already display unlimited vertical resolution without banding.

There is also a relatively unused characteristic of most green phosphors that you can change the phosphors color emissions toward red by sendIng high frequency pwm , using technology like that could reduce the banding issue somewhat.

maybe we should go to the large CRT graveyard where most sets are stockpiled in a warehouse waiting for safe recycling that never happens, borrow the good condition tubes and make our own drivers for them.

Rebuilt vintage CRTs with modern and vintage attachments with 4 k vertical resolution would probably be a niche novelty if someone did it.

It’s a damn shame we made something that would work 25 years into an unmitigated environmental disaster with completely unrecycable lcds that die every 6 years on average

#6 ·
The ability to produce new CRTs is no longer in our world I'm afraid. It would be a hell of a struggle to get a industry going again as all supply chains and most knowledge is gone. I have spoken to former higher employes of Sony and Iiyama about that matter just 2 years ago and they confirmed that CRT is like Apollo Program for us now ... Not enough understanding of the old technology anymore to repeat it. I know it sounds strange but when you think about it a bit I hope it makes sense ... to some of you ;)

Luckily we do not really need 4K on CRT because a resolution of like 1680x1050 on a FW 900 looks as good as 4k anyway :D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.