480i vs 480p 60fps - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 02-24-2014, 12:55 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Hey guys I've got a question about 480i vs 480p running at 60 frames. I have a CRT, hooked up to a PS2 with component cables, this TV is not 480p. I played a couple games on it and I didn't notice ANY interlacing. Camera panning with super smooth and flicker free. I tried playing some of the same games on a progressive display and didn't notice much of a difference (There was much less flicker on words, but that's about it). Can someone explain to me why I don't see any interlacing on 60fps games that are running at 480i? Interlacing is pretty prominent when I play a games at 30 frames. But It just really seems like I'm seeing such a clear display at 480i. Why don't I notice any interlacing when the output is clearly interlaced?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-24-2014, 01:12 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 224 Post(s)
Liked: 312
Without knowing about the the make/model of the CRT you are using, I'd just chalk it up to that fact that you have a wonderful CRT that makes you happy. smile.gif
Floydage likes this.
Old 02-24-2014, 01:38 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Sorry about that!

It's a Sony 32' FD Trinitron WEGA. I don't have the model number on me though!
Old 02-24-2014, 08:26 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 15
It's because your CRT is working as it should. Interlacing was invented to provide smooth motion over less bandwidth, and it does exactly that. Its side-effect is a usually undesirable flicker. Interlacing gets a bad rap on HDTV because they are normally designed to broadcast progressively; the thing to take away from this is that it is impossible to display an interlaced broadcast as it was originally designed on a screen that is made to display progressively, hence your CRT that actually can interlace looks nice with your games, and interlaced games look weird or even bad on an hdtv that is always progressive at a fixed resolution.

It might be hard to see or capture, but even on your CRT has another facet that is visible due to interlacing, a zipper-like comb effect along edges of moving objects on the screen. You might need to blink very fast, or use a camera with a fast shutter speed to see it, but it is there, just a lot harder to make out at a fast sync. The old tech was very good at what it was made to do, and that's why it looks so pleasing in motion.