AVS Forum banner

Samsung Slimfit - WS32Z419T

2K views 15 replies 4 participants last post by  LiquidSnake 
#1 ·
I've had a Samsung Slimfit since it came out but I think it's end time is drawing near.

I'm being offered another, the WS32Z419T for 60 euros. It's on an online site so I can't physically see it but this person is describing all the important things well. It seems to have been well cared for. He claims to have had it set to 'Standard' the whole time. Which on Samsung slimfit means 50 on every setting and 70 or so on contrast.

My question is that I can't seem to find a manual or anything else on this TV online. Can anyone help me figure out what to look for to see if this TV is worth buying? Although at 60 euros, it's basically a deal no matter what. Just dont wanna end up with TWO CRTHDs in my apartment to get rid of if they both bite the dust.

Thanks!

#2 ·
 Here's the user manual, , service manual may take more doing.

If you can't see a used television before buying, it's a crapshoot no matter what. It may be in great condition, someone else's definition of great condition might differ from yours though. Widescreen CRTs in particular tend to more geometry errors than the 4.3 models, so you may have some maintenance on your hands even with a pristine widescreen CRT. Then there's the matter of making sure it arrives in good condition. Try to get it shipped on a pallet if you can, might need to make special arrangements with a freight shipper. A television this heavy shipped any other way risks some serious damage with most carriers.

#3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiquidSnake  /t/1520248/samsung-slimfit-ws32z419t#post_24420923

Then there's the matter of making sure it arrives in good condition. Try to get it shipped on a pallet if you can, might need to make special arrangements with a freight shipper. A television this heavy shipped any other way risks some serious damage with most carriers.
I seem to have misled you by omitting information. I was trying to be brief.

Myself, and the person selling the TV are both in Paris, France. They're a short walk away and about 5 minutes away by car to be exact. I'm just writing on this forum because I recently moved here and I've been a member for some time and I like the feedback I get from the community. However, the HD CRT I have now is actually one that I DID bring from the states (Samsung TXT-3092WHX) which I'm trying to replace. And although it was shipped by really professional freight movers, I think a little too much movement may have caused problems with the tube. The left and right sides are ever so slightly out of alignment no matter what I do although I haven't played much with the service menu. Also, there is an almost undetectable flicker that I'm sure is caused by the TV being run through a power adapter (Yes, it's got plenty of watts). Anyway, in light of all these things, I figure a 60 euro replacement, only 5-10 minutes away is probably worth it. At least no more running the TV through an adapter. I have to get a car somehow but that's just logistics.

I can't imagine how it could help, but this is the ad if you want to test your French.

That manual page is some kind of weird "click three of these offers to get the download" kind of pages. Didnt work.

Any place where I can search for the service manual?

#4 ·
#5 ·
Okay, sounded as if you might have been ordering it from a site. Seems like you know what to look for. The image that is displayed looks fairly nice for alignment, although there is no pattern on the upper edges and left/right sides to look for, everything else does look very in line. Knocking a tube about is never a good thing, shadow masks or Trinitron wires can get dislodged if impacts are really tough, and obviously you don't want the glass to get scratched or for the thing to get dropped. The typical ailment of a widescreen CRT with some use or age is drooping sides that curve downwards. Service menu items do things like convergence, colour setting, moire controls, and rotation or tilt, seldom will the above problem be tackled directly or first by a menu setting. This is either a problem of deflection, of deformation of the shadow mask, or with beam alignment which may or may not be related to the two, and sometimes this can only be fixed with physical placement of small magnet-like strips along the tube surface. It's something you can do yourself, but which takes a real knack to do well, possibly a fair bit of luck, because if you overcompensate you can cause other problems, either with colour or geometry. Power does weird things when not converted properly. Hiccups are common with converters of all kinds, certainly much safer to just use the native 240 when you are in that area.

#6 ·
So, I got the TV today. IT is in incredibly good shape, image-wise. It's definitely better than my previous CRT-HD was. There is only one geometry "issue" and it's admittedly picky. The top left corner is bent in a bit from the left but it's only really noticeable if you set the screen to 4:3. I have the instructions for getting into the service menu but I'm still trying to figure out what the commands are once you're in there. I did a colour calibration with my Avia disc and it looks much better than the settings this person had them at but luckily they were only at "Standard". Pretty much 50 all the way. If anyone happens to know how to maneuver around the service menu of these Samsung CRT HDs that would be great.

#9 ·
"these" being this model of TV. I do not stand corrected.
But a good clarification on your part nonetheless, I'm a little surprised the 4:3 Slimfit models are completely immune from this issue.

#10 ·
Thanks for all the input guys. Are there any precautions I need to take for accessing the service menu(apart from the obvious writing down of settings before changing them)? I used to do it on my old HDCRT, I just want to make sure I'm not forgetting something about number of hours of viewing, etc.

#11 ·
If you were able to obtain the service manual it should have warnings about certain adjustments. For example I have an old CRT that it states not to adjust the horizontal frequency too low or it will shut down the set requiring replacement of the EEPROM IC.

#13 ·
I didn't try the offers to get the manual on my link, I don't have a spammable email address I can sacrifice to that right now. And Ratman's links involve a fee, looks like you will need to pay to get it regardless. But if you could get ahold of another Samsung Slimfit model's Service Manual, you might find there is enough similarity with the NTSC model for instance that you could manage the adjustment you want. It's worth a shot at least, if you can't spring for that model's SM.

#15 ·
There's rules?

This is your thread. I doubt the rest of us thus far care but might be a good pointing reference for someone doing a search on this particular model.

I've stumbled across a Slimfit thread somewhere within this CRT sub-forum in the past.

#16 ·
Yes, firmware programming may be similar. Menu items or the terms/abbreviations that they use are even more likely to be identical. I would only expect that things which they differ on due to NTSC vs PAL would be very different, but the only way you may know for sure is to have a butcher's.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.