AVS Forum banner

Will it damage my WEGA if I force it to do different resolutions?

457 views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  LiquidSnake 
#1 ·
Just wanted to ask so I don't blow something up.

For instance, 1840x1035 @ 60hz works on my 34xs955, but that's as high as it goes in progressive scan. I haven't tried over 1920x1080 in interlaced mode but I really don't see a point in doing that anyway.

I'm not actually sure if even running it that high is much of an improvement over say 1600x900 due to the fact that it's a CRT. (I don't even know if it actually resolves that much information.)

Either way, I just want to know if it could cause any damage? I've been running it at 1600x900 and above for the past few days and no issues yet.

GTX760->HDMI

Or am I thinking about this in the wrong way and is the set simply accepting these resolutions and scaling them to fit inside 720p? Either way it's a big difference.

#2 ·
It won't hurt anything. At the most you will probably wind up with some weird results that do not necessarily match with what you want. But still, I've done this several times with various CRTs, just to see how high of a physically resolvable resolution I could manage. I've used a custom resolution of 960x720, just to get a progressive image from my computer that would fill the screen at a higher resolution on my KV-40XBR800, for instance. (It always wants to letterbox anything higher than this.)

#3 ·
Thank you, and that is good to know. I don't know why, after all these years, I just now thought of even attempting this.

I've been considering looking for an XBR800 myself.

I was thinking of using it for PC gaming and taking advantage of it's larger screen by down sampling my games to fit it's lower resolution.

#4 ·
It's a monster of a tube, but a wonderful thing to behold. By the way, I did have to visit the service menu and tick off a flag in order to get that resolution to fill the display. There may be similar tricks for various resolutions on other sets, but this one certainly needed it as any other way, with an "HD" class resolution, it tried to letterbox thngs.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.