Anyone know where to find an NEC XM29? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 33 Old 03-19-2014, 11:28 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I've very much into retro gaming, and started reading about modding old consoles to output them into RGB. The best way to view this is apparently with an RGB monitor, which I had never even heard of before. It looks like most abundant versions are the Sony PVMs that mainly come in at around 19". This is way too small for my liking. Instead I'd love to get my hands on the NEC XM29, which I've read is an amazing monitor. But this thing looks near impossible to find. I've scoured everywhere on the net, looking for one, but haven't found anything. Anyone know of any sites to find anything like this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 Old 03-20-2014, 11:13 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Where to find one? Well, in my game room. That's certainly one place.

It is quite nice, but it doesn't come close to the Mitsubishi Megaview XC2935. NEC, 1280x1024 max, Megaview, 1600x1200 max. Supports more resolutions in general as well, has more inputs... not to dissuade you, just saying that owning both, I've found the Megaview, this model in particular, to be far superior. I understand there is an XM29+ model that has some extra feature, but I'll be damned if I can even remember what it is right now. Maybe YPbPr support? Not sure.

As for where to get one, I got mine from ebay, years and years ago. Around 2002 I think. I only paid about a hundred dollars for it, so the hundred and fifty or so extra went entirely toward the freight shipping. It arrived at my office, strapped down to a pallet.

You might have some luck finding good old CRT monitors suitable for classic (and newer) video games if you ask around at local television studios. Many places have put them to the side some years ago for newer monitors, if they haven't purged them outright then they may be willing to let them go. The downside to this, or buying any monitor like this, along with its age, is that because it was primarily used in a work environment, it could have a considerable number of hours on it, which could mean undesirable wear, if not necessarily tear.
post #3 of 33 Old 03-20-2014, 11:21 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for input! It's good to know of another option to look for, and I'll keep an eye out for the Mitsubishi. When I do a search for the NEC, an old ebay listing is always the first to pop up, but it ended back in 2012 (it was even in my home state, which means I could've just picked it up and not paid shipping costs). It looks as if the key will be to just constantly keep my eye out on Craigslist and eBay, and hope something eventually pops up.
post #4 of 33 Old 03-20-2014, 11:26 AM

I've said this before, here and elsewhere, but as much as you want an RGB monitor as a CRT for your classic games, you should probably consider a later model CRT HDTV. For the most part, they are just a hell of a lot easier to find. Search around for a model that will fit your space, and has the features you want, try to see one in action if you can, and you will likely wind up with a tube that is in a great deal better shape than a broadcast monitor will be once you finally get your hands on it. You might need to live with the trouble of transcoding RGB to YPbPr, and other issues (letterboxing on a 4.3, or pillarboxing on a 16.9), but the consumer tubes are just way, way more easily found right now. And people practically give them away. If the tube hasn't been abused, no matter if it is a monitor or a TV (or an HDTV) it stands the best chance to have a good image that you will want to view for long hours of gaming.
post #5 of 33 Old 03-20-2014, 11:31 AM - Thread Starter

This was something I considered for now, until I could actually find an RGB monitor. Otherwise these old consoles are just sitting around not being played (they look terrible on my HDTV).
post #6 of 33 Old 03-20-2014, 11:35 AM

A CRT HDTV will have no problem with them, though, because it can actually interlace. Your classic games will look nice again.

A bit nicer if you spring for an RGB cable and a transcoder. That would make it look as reasonably well as it could look on an RGB monitor.
post #7 of 33 Old 03-20-2014, 06:30 PM - Thread Starter

Well I've been looking around on Craigslist and have found a few good models. There's someone selling a Sony Wega KV-32FS320. She said it was manufactured in 2005, so this thing isn't even 10 years old yet, so it should still have plenty of life left in it. I looked up the specs, and it does have component inputs. If I mod my consoles for RGB and use this TV, will I still see a big difference in picture quality? Enough to warrant doing the mod? Also, would you mind giving me a little more info on transcoding RGB to YPbPr? This is all pretty new to me.
post #8 of 33 Old 03-24-2014, 07:53 PM

Rdross just out of curiosity where are you located. I am only asking because I have a Panasonic CT-34WX54. It is very high at the top of my list of impressive CRT's. I was considering getting rid of it but I'm not sure if there would be much interest in my area.
post #9 of 33 Old 03-25-2014, 09:48 AM

That model is one of the later ones, but be aware it is not HD. It does not even handle 480p. Personally, I'd want one that can at least do that, but with a manned date of 2005 it will be as reasonably well made as you can expect, and should last a good while.

Not every console needs modification to do RGB. Many of them will happily give you that signal if you just use the right cable. Transcoding is trickier. All you need is a box that does this analogue conversion, maybe $30 or so, you can get them on amazon, ebay, or monoprice. If you get a domestic one, i.e. one made geared towards American users, it is likely that it may not have a SCART connector. This is not a problem, you just have to make your own cable end to plug it up to, but one that already has a SCART socket will make things easier. You will see a massive increase in image quality versus using composite or even S-Video, which is still a VERY NICE picture, if that's all you can get.
post #10 of 33 Old 03-25-2014, 10:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtmcrawford View Post

Rdross just out of curiosity where are you located. I am only asking because I have a Panasonic CT-34WX54. It is very high at the top of my list of impressive CRT's. I was considering getting rid of it but I'm not sure if there would be much interest in my area.

FYI I'm pretty sure 'Snake is referring to the Sony in post #7. BTW I have a Panny X50, great HD set but no HDMI or DVI. I think that X54 has HDMI. The sound is killer on these models.

post #11 of 33 Old 03-25-2014, 12:43 PM

The 54 does have HDMI and yes I agree the sound on this set is excellent considering it is "TV" speakers. Although I am fond of it I no longer use it and would be willing to bet it would probably be impossible to sell.
post #12 of 33 Old 03-25-2014, 01:03 PM

Yes I was speaking to the OP about the Sony tube he was looking at.

Personally, I'd steer clear, but only because the SD sets are plentiful and the HDTV tubes are much less common. They also tend to be the newest, so he may have found one of the newest SD sets he's likely to see with that man date.
post #13 of 33 Old 03-25-2014, 01:51 PM - Thread Starter

mtmcrawford, I'm located in south central Ohio.

LiquidSnake: I don't care much about HD, as I'll only be playing older consoles, but that is a bit of a bummer that it won't do 480p. Would that matter much with games that play at 240? Granted I'll still be playing Wii and PS2 games that both are capable of 480p. So I'm not sure. The main reason I am going for that particular Sony was mainly because the seller is close to me, the price was cheap, and the it's a newer TV (in terms of a CRT anyway). I've been making plans with the seller to pick it up tomorrow. I honestly hate to go back on the sale, since I've told her over the past week that I was for sure getting it. But one thing to mention that really changes things is I was offered an RGB monitor from a person in the next state over. I believe it's the same model you have. This has me very excited, as I didn't expect to be able to even find one, especially at that size. I currently don't have the cash for it, but I'm hoping to within the next few months. So this Sony is pretty much a holdover until I get that monitor.
post #14 of 33 Old 03-25-2014, 02:09 PM

Which monitor is it? The NEC, or the Megaview?

You're not going to find many televisions that do 480p but not 1080i, at least not CRTs anyway. And yeah, you hit it, you might rock out your Sega Genesis on the thing, but it is damn nice if you want to plug up your PS2 and do some God of War at 480p. The noninterlaced modes are all handled just as well with the HDTV CRTs, which is why I prefer them. Still, being that recent, if it is in good condition, there isn't anything wrong with the one that you have found.

If you can't tell, this road you are traveling down is how I have managed to own about 15 CRTs. I literally don't have room in my home for all of them anymore.
post #15 of 33 Old 03-25-2014, 02:15 PM - Thread Starter

It's the Megaview. I think for now I'll stick with this Sony and see how it goes. If I'm able to get my hands on that Mitsu later this year, then I'll be in good shape.
post #16 of 33 Old 03-26-2014, 08:06 AM

If I were in your shoes... I would do whatever is required for that Megaview. Is it the XC2935? It is "only" 27 inches, but razor sharp at resolutions all the way up to 1600x1200, I use it with my PC for gaming and it is well up to the task. It also happily handles low resolution RGB at any sync or pitch I've tossed at it, making it a permanent fixture in my game room. I have two switches and a matrix, with a VGA cable snaked around the baseboards of the room, just so it can be situated in peace and still function with any game in my cabinet or on my desk.

Hell, get the Sony too, then you're covered, and officially in the CRT nutbag club.
post #17 of 33 Old 03-26-2014, 10:43 AM
AVS Special Member

I wouldn't pay much for that Sony as I see stuff like that for free or dirt cheap on Craigslist, at least in D/FW. Same for newer better CRTs.

post #18 of 33 Old 03-26-2014, 03:45 PM - Thread Starter

@Liquid - haha, well I guess I better get to selling some un-needed items around the house to build up some funds!

@Floydage I only paid $40 for it. It seemed reasonably priced compared to all the other Wega models I saw on Craigslist. The problem seems to be finding a TV stand that holds that much weight. Everything they make now, only supports 100 lbs or so. I picked the Sony up today. It's quite a beauty.
post #19 of 33 Old 03-26-2014, 04:03 PM
AVS Special Member

And I realize some areas aren't as flooded with them as others, especially rural.
Yeah bonus if they throw in a stand, oftentimes worth more than the CRT with the flat panel folk not wanting to mount their TV to a wall.

post #20 of 33 Old 04-16-2014, 11:25 AM

I am in Albuquerque, NM and thinking of selling my Mitsubishi MegaView XC-3730 which is a 37" RGB/VGA monitor. I will be moving back to California soon so I can't take it with me...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk
post #21 of 33 Old 04-16-2014, 11:28 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you for the offer, but I live all the way over in Ohio, so the shipping costs would be astounding. The other offer I got from someone else is in the state next to me, so I'll be able to just pick it up.
post #22 of 33 Old 04-17-2014, 06:55 AM

The XC3730 is an okay RGB monitor. Its real selling point is its huge size, obviously, the XC2935 is actually higher resolution with its smaller glass. 1280x1024 vs 1600x1200. Might run into focus issues sooner with the larger glass, and I would prefer the higher resolution overall in spite of the smaller screen, but as with a lot of old equipment, age and use (or misuse) probably dictate a lot of its condition and value at this point.
post #23 of 33 Old 04-17-2014, 07:08 AM - Thread Starter

The offer I got is actually for the XC3730. I don't care much about the resolution as I won't be watching any hi-def sources on it. As for how much use it's had, I don't really know. I'm not sure how long the guy has had the monitor for, or what it was used for before that. Hopefully it's in good shape, and I'll definitely check out the picture quality before I buy it, although I doubt I have the eye to spot any minor issues with it, or know exactly what to look for. He said it was manufactured in 99, so it isn't as new as the Wega I currently have. I'll have the money for it next month, so I have until then to decide.
post #24 of 33 Old 05-05-2014, 04:36 AM - Thread Starter

Well I now have the Megaview XC3730. It's in great shape, and according to the owner, it doesn't sound like it has a lot of hours on it. It'll be a little while before I'll actually get everything set up for it. I still need to mod my systems for RGB and I'm waiting for parts to arrive from overseas. The only thing I dislike about the TV is the fan noise. It's quite loud, not sure if there's a way to put a quieter fan in there. I still need to get a component to RGB converter, which doesn't look cheap. Does anyone know if I get one of these converters, if it will display in progressive scan? I read on retrorgb.com that RGB can't display progressive scan. If that is the case, that is highly discouraging because I was wanting to hook up my Wii/PS2/Xbox in progressive on this monitor.
post #25 of 33 Old 05-06-2014, 07:36 AM

What system are you modifying? Most of them need no modifications at all, just get a cable. If I were you I would minimise any modding done to your system. Get the cables on ebay, Australian and UK vendors usually have them at good prices, make sure they are RGB cables and not composite cables (SCART plugs can use either of these), then get yourself a SCART switch box and put any mods you need in that switch box. It might only be 7 inches wide but that is plenty of room to put anything at all that you might need to output to your RGB monitor.

If I were you I wouldn't worry about progressive scan vs. interlaced here. If the game you are playing is interlaced natively, keep using it that way! It will only look different if you do anything to make that interlaced signal into a progressive one. RGB can indeed display in a progressive mode, this is what we call VGA. But in the strictest sense, what these guys are terming "RGB" is used at 15KHz, which will be a lower resolution. You can easily get your Wii/PS2/Xbox (360 or original) in progressive scan on this monitor.
post #26 of 33 Old 06-03-2014, 08:39 PM

There's one on eBay right now. NEC XM29. It's listed as an Xtra, but it has been edited to show that it's NEC XM29. There's only 2 days left on the auction, so keep an eye on it, if you want it. 

post #27 of 33 Old 06-04-2014, 03:44 AM - Thread Starter

Good catch! I already purchased a 36" Mitsu Megaview, but damn if it's not tempting to get that NEC also as a backup. That's crazy cheap shipping for it, I'd have to think he's taking a big loss at that cost. I'll keep my eye on it and see how high the bidding goes, it looks like he has quite a few people interested in it. On a side note, I'm finally getting my consoles RGB modded tonight so I can finally see what all the fuss is about with these monitors. Can't wait!
post #28 of 33 Old 06-04-2014, 01:51 PM

What system are you modifying? Most of them need no modifications at all, just get a cable. wink.gif
post #29 of 33 Old 06-05-2014, 04:06 AM - Thread Starter

I'm modding the SNES and N64. According to this site: retrorgb.com These 2 systems need modifying to get a proper signal. Unfortunately the mod was unsuccessful, so I need to do some troubleshooting to figure out what the problem is. :-/
post #30 of 33 Old 06-06-2014, 09:18 AM

The SNES had RGB, no mod necessary. The SNES 2 model doesn't have it but all you need to do is connect wires. (I think, pretty sure anyway.) It's probably a better idea to stick to the original SNES. The N64 does not have RGB, so you connect wires also and it just works. But the image is very dark unless you do an amp circuit. Nintendo SCART cables are touch and go. You need to already make sure you are getting a SCART cable that does RGB, but even then, Nintendo made different gaffs and goofs with their SCART cables. You can get it sorted, you just chose one of the more complicated systems to work with.

Try sma Sega Genesis, no mod necessary to it, just your cable.
Reply Direct View (single tube) CRT Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page