AVS Forum banner

Color Flare Problem Magically Disappears (Sony KD-34XBR970 34” FD Trinitron® WEGA® XBR® HDTV) Why?

1K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  Floydage 
#1 ·

BACKGROUND:   I purchased my Sony KD-34XBR970 34” FD Trinitron® WEGA® XBR® HDTV (a CRT based model) on 11/14/06.  As this was my first HDTV, I was literally amazed by the picture quality and the color.  

PROBLEM:  Fast forward eight years later to February, 2014.  The picture quality deteriorated.  Color flares were evident for plum-purple, lime green and lemon yellow.  I called a HDTV Repair Service and, from my description of the problem, they said it sounded as if the picture tube was failing.

ATTEMPTS TO RESOLVE THE PROBLEM:   I tried to trouble-shoot the problem by what I read in the Sony Owners Manual and information from Sony’s website.

I disconnected the HDTV from the electrical outlet for 30 minutes.  I removed stereo speakers from the room where the HDTV is located.  I restored the HDTV Factory Settings from instructions in the manual.  I restored the HDTV Picture Settings from instructions in the manual.  I changed the HDTV Picture Settings to see if this would make a difference.  I searched the Internet for solutions.  I changed the HDTV from 480i to 480p to 720p to 1080i.  None of what I tried corrected the color flare and picture quality problem.  I also called SONY and they had no suggestions on how to correct the problem.

THE MIRACLE HAPPENS:   In late May of 2014, after I ordered a new HDTV, I turned on my Sony KD-34XBR970 34” FD Trinitron® WEGA® XBR® HDTV.  The COLOR FLARE problem was gone.  The PICTURE QUALITY was sharp and clear like the day the HDTV first arrived.  What happened?  If the picture tube was going bad I don’t understand how, all of a sudden, the HDTV problems disappeared.

I’ve subscribed to DISH Network from the day I purchased this HDTV.  It was almost as if DISH Network had flipped a switch and now the color flare and picture quality problems were gone.  But I don’t understand how DISH Network could have caused the color flare problem.  DISH Network may have had a role in the picture quality but I don’t know.

Has anyone else had this problem?  I’d appreciate knowing what you think caused the color flare and picture quality problem.

Thanks in advance for your replies.

Jim

See less See more
#2 ·
#3 ·

Here's an example of what I mean by "color flare."  When watching The Cleveland Show, between his eyes . . . on the bridge of the nose on Cleveland's brown face was the color plum-purple, not brown as it was supposed to be.   Another example . . . when watching the Olympics or MSNBC, depending on the color background, the person's face would have the color plum-purple.  The color plum-purple would be displayed on the person's forehead and sometimes the legs.  The color flare could be anywhere from 1/4 inch wide to 1/2 an inch long, and 1/2 inch wide to 1/2 inch long.

Wish I had taken a photo of the problem but unfortunately I didn't.  Hope my explanation of "color flare" helps.  Thanks.

Jim

#4 ·
What you describe almost sounds like bad convergence, but this will never fix itself. This points to a source problem, but we don't know enough about your equipment to say. Some HD boxes, DVD/BR players etc. support "deep color" over HDMI, this is a problem with older displays that do not support it, but I am guessing you did not fiddle with this or the dish box does not use it. Cable or socket problem perhaps? If a connection isn't proper and tight with some inputs you may get a picture, but an improper one, maybe a cable is crimped or frayed somewhere, or a socket loose.

#5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMinor  /t/1525718/color-flare-problem-magi...-fd-trinitron-wega-xbr-hdtv-why#post_24566036

Hope my explanation of "color flare" helps.  Thanks.

Jim

Yes and you're welcome. Sounds more like what 'Snake is referring to and not a gauss problem. Bonus for me I learned about the deep color over HDMI on older displays problem, good to know down the road.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.