• 1 Post By barrelbelly
  • 2 Post By Ratman
  • 1 Post By Mark12547

Old 04-09-2014, 11:09 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Analog 4:3 aspect ratio curved CRT TV's for classic gaming use will make a comeback in the future! My 27" Sony Trinitron CRT TV is 14 years old, and it is still working great! Also, widescreen CRT HDTV will also make a comeback in the future! Will these CRT TV's be made in America or imported to America? Do you think CRT TV's will make a comeback in the future? I think so.

Thanks,

Chris wink.gif

I like CRT TV's and CRT Arcade Monitors the most.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-10-2014, 12:02 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Doubtful, and that's being generous.
Old 04-10-2014, 11:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Last I recall they're still being made for India and other countries. But why curved? 4:3? Analog? (I assume you're referring to the inputs, worrying about HDMI-only but that's far-fetched).

Old 04-10-2014, 11:47 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 237 Post(s)
Liked: 318
Here's a realistic thought... It ain't gonna happen.

The majority of North American folks don't want TV's that:
Weigh 200 lb.
Take more space than a small refrigerator
less than 40" diagonal
No one cares for 4:3
can't produce 1080p or better (native resolution)
affordable
... and quite a few more reasons
Old 04-10-2014, 02:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 92
These are the types of threads that make me both laugh and cry. I laugh at the idea and cry that someone actually believes it will happen.
Old 04-11-2014, 05:21 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 15
He does this every few months, not a lot new going on. Plenty of us get it, but I think even those among us who prefer a CRT for the image it provides aren't delusional.
Old 11-18-2014, 10:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 238
I ran across this old thread and hate I missed it. LOL. A few of the responders were unnecessarily harsh with the their opinions of the OP's core point. But for what it's worth...the OP wasn't too far off in his nostalgia for CRT IMO. Because CRT "like" continues to be the driving force for the premium and best video representation in displays. Whether its Plasma, OLED, LPD or the arcane SED...it's all derivative of CRT in some aspect. With LPD being the closest direct descendant. Sooner or later, LPD will find its way into consumer home video and monitor markets. And they may just find a bigger market demand than many see or predict. Because they have all of the advantages of CRT, OLED and Plasma...without any of their negatives. Plus they can be manufactured to scale to ideal WxHxD factors. I have been tracking PRYSM LPD now for several years. And it has been widely reported that they are working closely with un named partners in the consumer display business to bring this technology to consumer markets. So to the OPS question, I say CRT as he knew it will never return. But a much better & vastly superior version or derivative of it is right around the corner. Probably within the next 5 years IMO. And CRT won't be found anywhere in its name. But heavily referenced in its image structure.

Old but relevant article in light of the market success of PRYSM in the Commercial Markets:
http://www.techhive.com/article/1868..._too_late.html
TeflonSoul likes this.

Last edited by barrelbelly; 11-18-2014 at 11:26 AM.
Old 11-18-2014, 12:29 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrelbelly View Post
A few of the responders were unnecessarily harsh with the their opinions of the OP's core point.
Not at all. Carefully (re)read the opening post and the realistic responses.

Plasma, OLED, LPD or the arcane SED is not CRT. Perhaps second cousins by marriage.
barrelbelly and Floydage like this.
Old 11-18-2014, 12:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratman View Post
Not at all. Carefully (re)read the opening post and the realistic responses.

Plasma, OLED, LPD or the arcane SED is not CRT. Perhaps second cousins by marriage.
I'm on board with your description Ratman. Even though I consider LPD and SED 1st cousins to CRT. Especially LPD. Now if PRYSM would just stop swimming in their commercial success and give us what they promised in 2010...I'd be a happy camper (a consumer version in 3-5 years).

http://www.prysm.com/video-walls/
Old 11-18-2014, 12:53 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 11
This is all but universal! It never fails.

Tubes - transistors
Vinyl- CD
So now CRT vs digital.

What else is new?

Tubes and vinyl limp along with die-hard adherents insisting the new stuff is terrible.

Say, I can't find the CRT Projector forum. What happened to that???
You know, the 3-eyed monsters? The 100 -250 lb behemoths hanging from the ceiling?
If you were really into it, you could double stack 'em?

Ahhhh, yes. The good old days.

Terry Danks
Nature & Wildlife Photography
http://danks.netfirms.com/home.htm
Old 11-18-2014, 01:55 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawziecat View Post
Say, I can't find the CRT Projector forum. What happened to that???
Does this work?

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/16-crt-projectors/
Old 11-19-2014, 12:46 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 184 Post(s)
Liked: 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by barrelbelly View Post
I'm on board with your description Ratman. Even though I consider LPD and SED 1st cousins to CRT. Especially LPD. Now if PRYSM would just stop swimming in their commercial success and give us what they promised in 2010...I'd be a happy camper (a consumer version in 3-5 years).

http://www.prysm.com/video-walls/
That looks pretty neat!

As far as cathode ray tubes go, I doubt that we will see a revival of them except in specialized applications.
barrelbelly likes this.

My very humble setup:
Man Cave:Vizio E500i-A1 "Smart TV" (50-in 1080p 120Hz LED/LCD, has Netflix app.), Blu-ray player (Sony BDP-S3100), Roku (the original model: N1000), PC (Windows 7), Comcast Internet (29Mbps/6Mbps).
Bedroom:LG 32LV3400-UA TV (32-in 768p 60Hz LED/LCD), HD DVR (Motorola RNG200N), Xfinity Comcast cable (Digital Starter Package), DVD/VHS player.
Old 11-19-2014, 10:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark12547 View Post
That looks pretty neat!

As far as cathode ray tubes go, I doubt that we will see a revival of them except in specialized applications.
I don't even see the specialized application need for them unless we are talking emerging markets like Africa, India & etc. LPD completely wipes out the need for CRT in developed markets like the USA IMO. Especially when you consider LPD's superior digital properties and ecological/environmental footprint. IMO the entire industry needs to move to LPD because it is superior to LCD and CRT in every measurable way...including size. The PRYSM folks claim that size can be significantly reduced (almost into the screen itself) in consumer applications. My challenge to them is to stop talking about it and prove it to us. I saw a 250" PRYSM Wall at a CES a few years back. And my jaws dropped. The best way to describe what I saw was...Blacks like CRT & OLED or better...superior depth of colors...superior shadow detail...Sharpness and detail equal to LED/LCD. Albeit my impressions were not measurable from a comparison standpoint. But to my eyes, LPD was CRT like on Steroids. What really amazes me is that the PRYSM folks have not targeted the PC monitor and Multi-Monitor gaming segments because of LPD's laser fast refresh rates with almost zero lag. THAT IS A HUGE DEAL MAKER IN THAT SEGMENT! And is just sitting there idle and waiting for their presence. They could actually make a dramatic entry into that segment without a ruler thin panel. 20"W-16"H-4" to 6"D-4 to 8 lbs/panel would be just perfect IMO. Because it would give me all kind of stackable...zero bezel configuration options. Like a mini home version of those Cascade collaboration setups in the PRYSM videos.

So IMO the OP can forget about ever seeing CRT HDTVs reintroduced in the US. Ain't gonna happen! But we should all be demanding that LPD and OLED get fast tracked at once.

Last edited by barrelbelly; 11-19-2014 at 10:17 AM.
Old 11-19-2014, 10:24 AM

Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked: 70
highly doubt it-but I must kick in this fact, my old Sony 970-the last CRT made by them is still kicking, and the PQ is far better than the Bravia I have. I find myself using it more for regular tv use these days- they made these things so long and worked out all the bugs, now we have a new format that is no where near the quality, or longevity of the old tech.
just visit the HD forum and see the issues that arise with them. No more CRT's but lcd will get better with time.
Old 11-19-2014, 11:46 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Hopefully this thread will go back to sleep.

IMHO, if anyone would like to discuss LPD, SED, OLED. or anything other than "CRT Direct View Displays", start a thread in the appropriate forum. If one doesn't exist... PM the moderators and I'm sure they will be open to create a new subforum to accomodate your discussion.
Old 11-19-2014, 12:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawziecat View Post
Tubes and vinyl limp along with die-hard adherents insisting the new stuff is terrible.
Huh? Maybe at one time but there's a resurgence going on and it's not just old folks. Analog recording studios and vinyl factories popping up due the demand of musicians and customers that demand this kind of sound. I even saw a tube surround system in a Best Buy ad.

Also, it's not "CRT vs. digital."

Old 11-20-2014, 07:15 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 2
I wish.
Old 11-28-2014, 06:16 PM
AVS Special Member

They're making a comeback now - popping up like crazy now on Craigslist here courtesy Black Friday flat panel sales.

Old 12-03-2014, 12:23 PM

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by bringbackcrttv
Analog 4:3 aspect ratio curved CRT TV's for classic gaming use will make a comeback in the future!

Yes and they should....... CRTs and the nicest
Old Today, 09:39 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Michael Bay still ask Sony for HR Trinitron crt pro monitors;he like to check scene chromatism on them.......Scorsese and tarantino still support analog filming on celuloid and laserdisc.......they know what they re talking about !