Sony KV-27V66 picture problems - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 04-13-2014, 05:49 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

I just purchased a Sony KV-27V66 from a thrift store and when I got it home it has a discolored area in the upper left of the screen and it seems that the RGB is missaligned.

Here are a few pics:

I'm new to CRT television trouble shooting and fixing so any help is greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 04-13-2014, 10:06 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Convergence is misaligned. You will need to use service menu adjustments with a test pattern to fix it. Try to find the service manual and poke around service setting threads here for tips on how to do this.

Edit: Actually, looking at it again, it seems like the mask just could be warped. It's difficult to tell without an actual image on screen, the black space could be hiding it. Can you snap a shot of it with an image filling the screen?
post #3 of 4 Old 04-14-2014, 08:26 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

After taking another look I noticed that the image is blurred & slightly discolored across the entire top of the screen but the rest of the screen seems clear.  There also seems to be a couple light horizontal lines going across the screen when viewing a lighter color background like the photo below.

Could a degaussing coil fix this problem or is it an underlying issue?

I couldn't get a good clear picture of the screen with a full image.  Any suggestions to get a good picture with a camera?

post #4 of 4 Old 04-16-2014, 07:27 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I am thinking there is a possibility the aperture grille is warped. If this is the case, then you can pretty much forget about ever fixing it completely. The good news is that the only honest warping appears to be in that upper left corner, so it's possible that in the centre and other areas you've got convergence to deal with. The convergence is a problem in the upper left corner too, it just looks worse for the warping... if that's what it is. A degauss will not fix a warped aperture grille (or shadow mask), in fact, nothing can. It will remain warped for the rest of its days and the best you can hope for is that it is not subjected to more force to cause even worse warping in the future. I had a similar Trinitron, the PVM2530, and it had a very similar problem on the upper right, maybe even worse than yours, so bad that the top right edge of the image was not straight at all, it kinda drooped downward, then back up again closer to the corner in a little wave formation. No amount of tinkering ever fixed it, and the tech I showed it to told me to just look for a replacement unit. Of course that's not so easily done nowadays when every other display you see is not even a CRT.

Just tackle the convergence problem, and then see if you can live with how the image looks overall. I continued to use my PVM for years, and if it ever really bothered me I tried to size the image way from the warped area of the screen.

It's also what started me down a path of hoarding various CRTs as I looked for replacements.
Reply Direct View (single tube) CRT Displays
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page