Philips 34PW9815, 17, & 18 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 07-09-2002, 11:15 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Can someone kindly fill me in on the differences between the 3 models listed in topic:

Philips 34PW9815, 34PW9817, and 34PW9818.

The "18" I believe is coming out soon or has recently come out and I have read here that it has some new technology that renders NTSC signals better than any set so far. However, I saw the "15" on sale at a Bose store with one year no financing available and am wondering what I would be missing out if I purchased that instead of the 17 or 18.

The Philips website doesn't even list the "15" anymore and the comparison between the "17" and "18" are identical.

Thanks in advance,

- Ahsan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 07-09-2002, 06:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 12
ahsan-
I can tell you who cannot tell you--Philips...their web-site is confusing as heck...very little info...unclear! If you learn something, let us know, please!
I believe that the "15" does not have dual component...not that you will necessarily need two...if you go to DVI...which BTW, the "15" will definitely NOT have...and the "17" does not either...I saw it today at CC...they are getting ready to close it out.
post #3 of 6 Old 07-11-2002, 02:50 PM - Thread Starter

Anyone know if the 34PW9818 is on sale at retailers already or when it will be released? I haven't been able to locate it on various electronics price search engines. The Philips.com site says Circuit City should have it when I click on "Where to buy" but my local CC in Northern VA is not carrying it as of yet.

Thanks,

- Ahsan
post #4 of 6 Old 07-12-2002, 09:00 AM

Main difference I can see is the 9818 has dual 1080i inputs....

In terms of when the 9818 will be on sale, Circuit City said they'd have them on 8/8....
post #5 of 6 Old 07-12-2002, 09:47 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I'm waiting for a look a the 9818 too. The 9815 and 9817 are pretty similar if memory serves. I think one or the other, has the Pronto remote bundled with it. There may be finish differences as well. Phillips has some sets in gloss black, and some in a silver matte. The 9818 is quite different, since it has the "Pixel Plus" firmware, supposedly better than the average bear, for upconverting NTSC etc. I don't think the 9818 will pass through 720P, however, a skill which eludes nearly all direct view monitors. Princeton's products can do 720p but there are size issues which disqualify the Princetons for me. Like Wolvernole, I'm eagerly looking forward to the production of the 9818, (or any other armoire appropriate direct view without perplexing omissions). I saw it at CES and it was pretty nice. Of course who knows where the signal was coming from etc.
Mark Robinson
Stewart Filmscreen Corp

Mark Robinson
Vice President of Technology
Stewart Filmscreen

post #6 of 6 Old 07-24-2002, 07:28 PM

The 9818 is shipping now and in some regions. The step down from that set is the 34PW8520. It is also available now, but without the PIXEL PLUS and Digital Natural Motion features and a much more conventional cabinet.
Closed Thread Direct View (single tube) CRT Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page