Trouble with component input on JVC I'Art Pro AV-32DF74 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 06-08-2014, 09:43 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

I just got a VGA-to-component(YPbPr) cable to connect my laptop to a JVC I'Art Pro AV-32DF74 and after trying everything couldn't get the picture to show up on the tv. I tried every possible display setting on my laptop, tried both component input channels/inputs, and even tried a different laptop to see if that was the problem. Then I had the stupid idea of testing to see if both the cable and the RCA inputs was working by plugging each one of the component cables into the yellow video input for the rca input cables. Lo and behold everytime I connected one of the component cables into the video RCA input the tv would go from a blank black screen to static, confirming that at least something was coming trough the cable and that the RCA inputs worked. Until recently I also used this television to watch satellite tv using the coaxial input without any issues. Notable is the fact that both component inputs are assigned to INPUT 1 and INPUT 2 respectively while the RCA inputs are on INPUT 1 trough INPUT 4 meaning that they share INPUT 1 and 2 with the component inputs. Is there something I have to doto switch over from component to RCA inputs? I couldn't find anything about it in the manual here: http://resources.jvc.com/Resources/00/00/96/52156ien.pdf

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 06-08-2014, 02:19 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuggetmatic View Post

I just got a VGA-to-component(YPbPr) cable to connect my laptop to a JVC I'Art Pro AV-32DF74 and after trying everything couldn't get the picture to show up on the tv. I tried every possible display setting on my laptop, tried both component input channels/inputs, and even tried a different laptop to see if that was the problem. Then I had the stupid idea of testing to see if both the cable and the RCA inputs was working by plugging each one of the component cables into the yellow video input for the rca input cables. Lo and behold everytime I connected one of the component cables into the video RCA input the tv would go from a blank black screen to static, confirming that at least something was coming trough the cable and that the RCA inputs worked. Until recently I also used this television to watch satellite tv using the coaxial input without any issues. Notable is the fact that both component inputs are assigned to INPUT 1 and INPUT 2 respectively while the RCA inputs are on INPUT 1 trough INPUT 4 meaning that they share INPUT 1 and 2 with the component inputs. Is there something I have to do to switch over from RCA to component inputs on the channel for INPUT 1 or 2? I couldn't find anything about it in the manual here: http://resources.jvc.com/Resources/00/00/96/52156ien.pdf

post #3 of 7 Old 06-08-2014, 03:01 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 211 Post(s)
Liked: 304
post #4 of 7 Old 06-09-2014, 05:15 AM

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 19
VGA and YPbPr component are different formats so are not compatible with each other.

A VGA to component cable exists for computers that can output YPbPr component out through the VGA port. This won't happen unless the software is set up to do so - some driver options would include it as an option. If your display driver options don't have component (possibly called "TV") as an option it might be possible to use third party software.

Failing that, you need a VGA to YPbPr component converter. The Monoprice one doesn't list support for 1080i input so there would be some kind of quality loss if it doesn't.

This may be what you're looking for if a little pricey
http://www.curtpalme.com/TC1600.shtm

Most display driver options don't list support for 1080i60. If yours don't, there is third party software like Powerstrip that lets you select custom resolutions.

You can send sound from the laptop with a stereo plug to RCA plug converter.

If your computer has HDMI or DVI you should use that. See page 17 of the manual. DVI is just HDMI without sound so an HDMI to DVI cable works.
post #5 of 7 Old 06-09-2014, 07:18 AM - Thread Starter

I didn't think VGA was capable of HD output. Anyways I'll check the laptop and see if it has a component setting. Get back to you and let you know what happens. BTW, is it the same for VGA-to-RCA cables that I need a converter? I'm not looking to get HD, although that would be nice, so some loss is ok.

post #6 of 7 Old 06-09-2014, 08:21 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 15
"HD" meaning high definition, VGA is extremely capable of. When you consider HD starts at 1280*720, VGA can go all the way to 2500 lines without a problem, so you're there. You will need a converter if your video card driver does not output YPbPr. If it does this, no converter necessary.
post #7 of 7 Old 06-09-2014, 07:21 PM

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 19
"RCA" isn't a video format but a plug format. Usually when people are talking about a VGA plug they mean a D-15
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VGA_connector

and usually when they're talking about YPbPr component they mean RCA.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RCA_connector
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/YPbPr

Your VGA to YPbPr component cable would have three RCA plugs on it meaning it is a VGA to RCA cable. Other VGA to RCA configurations exist such as ones with five RCA plugs for carrying VGA video or just one plug for composite video.

It's possible to run YPbPr over a D-15 connector just as it's possible to run VGA over RCA connectors.

Your TV is unlikely to accept VGA video so it needs VGA converted to YPbPr component either by your computer or a transcoder like those linked to above.

Your TV should accept 480p or 640x480 @ 60Hz in addition to 1080i60. 640x480 @ 60Hz is a standard video resolution but not HD.
Reply Direct View (single tube) CRT Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page