best 34-38" direct view set? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 14 Old 07-10-2002, 03:40 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Considering a good hd ready set for the bedroom. I passed on the Panasonic LCD monitoros and even though I'd love to hang a think display on the wall, plasmas just aren't user friendly enough ( I need 2 tuner PIP)

Am considering the Panasonic 34" model, the Sony 34XBR2, and the Toshiba. Sony sets have the quickest channel changes, but the Panasonic doesn't seem to bad, at least on the 34" widescreen set.

Any opinions on these products would be great!
Elbert
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 07-10-2002, 04:14 PM

I'd recommend waiting a month or two for the new model Sony that is cheaper. The 34XBR800 is supposed to eliminate the internal HDTV tuner and reduce the price to around $2500, similar to the others.
post #3 of 14 Old 07-11-2002, 08:51 AM

The new models are coming soon, which means there will be some real deals on the old models. I picked up a Toshiba 34HF81 for $2000 and I think it's great.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #4 of 14 Old 07-11-2002, 04:31 PM

Yes its true there are quite a few deals out there now. Samsung has a 30" 16:9 directview selling around $1300. Almost 1/2 the price of 34" models, a considerable savings!
post #5 of 14 Old 07-11-2002, 10:09 PM - Thread Starter

Great! Thanks for the tip, guys. Unfortunately, I'm fairly picky when it comes to user-friendliness. I haven't really played around with the samsung, but I'm impressed with the Sony's quick channel changing capability. I'm a Toshiba fan, but all of their HD ready sets take FOREVER to change channels!
I might hold out for the new SONY 34 XBR800 when it becomes available.

Elbert
post #6 of 14 Old 07-12-2002, 07:14 AM

If you're referring to HD channel changes, the speed of the channel changes is a function of the HD tuner. If Sony eliminates the HDTV tuner, a STB will be required and these seem to be relatively slow.

Tom Taylor
post #7 of 14 Old 07-12-2002, 10:50 AM

I'm happy with my Panasonic and they are being sold at a significant discount right now. A bummer because I paid more for a scratched floor demo than the new ones are going for now. Que sera.
post #8 of 14 Old 07-14-2002, 12:00 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Elbert
Great! Thanks for the tip, guys. Unfortunately, I'm fairly picky when it comes to user-friendliness. I haven't really played around with the samsung, but I'm impressed with the Sony's quick channel changing capability. I'm a Toshiba fan, but all of their HD ready sets take FOREVER to change channels!
I might hold out for the new SONY 34 XBR800 when it becomes available.

Elbert
I was intrigued that someone else is sensitive to the time it takes to change channels. A fellow surfer no doubt. Problem is, these days channel changing is all about the HD tuner, the DSS tuner, the cable tuner, and very little about the TV tuner. I'm actually switching from "digital" cable to DirecTV DSS in part because the menus etc are much quicker on DSS.

Cheers--

Hoppy
"The guy was too dead to talk."
post #9 of 14 Old 07-14-2002, 01:04 PM

C'mon, what's wrong with digital cable. I don't mind waiting like 5 seconds betwen channel changes!! :)

I'm obviously being sarcastic. I plan to switch from digital cable to satellite as well, but it goes furthere than just the channel changing aspects. Comcast doesn't seem too interested in offering HDTV, so they can go straight to hell.

To others who have, or have had digital cable, was your receiver lacking anything above composite connections? That's all mine had--not even S-Video. What was weird is, my box was obviously manufactured for some of the models to have the S-Video card, becase there's a slot for it. You can actually read the S-Video lettering on mine, but the slot for it is covered up with a piece of metal, and I was told it doesn't have the capability. How stupid was that!!?? S-Video has become a bare bones essential aspect of home a/v set-ups. There should be nothing less at this point.

MJM3000
post #10 of 14 Old 07-14-2002, 01:33 PM
Advanced Member

I have Comcast, too, and the Motorola box is just as you say. S-Vid is there and covered up. They are dumb and dumber at Comcast.

Hoppy
"The guy was too dead to talk."
post #11 of 14 Old 07-14-2002, 01:35 PM - Thread Starter

I'm just referring to ANALOG CABLE! Toshiba and Panasonic RPTVs have a pause between channel changes on analog cable and free OTA channels. Sony, on the other hand, is instant. the Panasonic Direct View sets are much quicker than their RPTVs, but still a shade slower than the Sonys. Because I'm getting this as a bedroom system, I watch mostly regular TV broadcasts and reserve the movie watching on my bigscreen.
Therefore, convenience and easy of use are paramount.
I'm also a bit disappointed with the way the manufacturers treat the 2 tuner PIP function. Speaking with my friends and others, not many people use this feature. I DEPEND on it when channel surfing while my main program is in commercial.
It's unfortunate for me that Sony, Panasonic, and even Toshiba have been making remotes with the PIP functions relegated to the smaller, harder to reach buttons.
Elbert
post #12 of 14 Old 07-15-2002, 04:50 PM
AVS Special Member

loewe aconda (available in 30" and 38") is the undisputed king of direct-view pq in my experience. pricey, though. get ready to haggle.

"There's a... big machine in the sky... Some sort of... electric snake. It's headed right for us..."
"Shoot it."
"Not yet. I want to study its habits."
post #13 of 14 Old 07-16-2002, 03:06 PM

I am looking for a new set time to replace my mit. Should i go for the wide screen or 4:3 direct view ? I watch cable mostly but love DVD I pan to upgrade(still using Pro logic I) my sound system too.

Safe Surfing
Mark:p

Remember He who contols the remote controls is all powerfull Ha Ha
post #14 of 14 Old 07-16-2002, 05:32 PM - Thread Starter

If this set is going to be your primary set for movies AND tv, I would go wide. I'm in the same boat myself, except that I already have the SONY 57" XBR and the direct view set that I'm considering purchasing may end up bing a 4:3, since all of my bedroom viewing is pretty much analog TV

Personally, if you watch regular broadcast in the wrong aspect and with some of the picture cut off, it's not as dramatic a swing as watching an small, anamorphic widescreen picture with HUGE black bars above and below it. Therefore, the trade off is easily in favor of the WS.

Elbert
Closed Thread Direct View (single tube) CRT Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page