Gateway Destintation 27" monitor - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 07-13-2002, 09:52 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I see these going for sale (used) on eBay every now and then. They support up to 800x600. Has anyone used this with an HTPC? How is the quality of the picture?

Robert
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 07-16-2002, 06:37 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
69 views thus far and no responses?

Does anyone have one of these monitors still? I only want to know if it works just like a big monitor. I want to use it with an HTPC and a Radeon card. Or do these things require the Destination PC and video card that originally came with it?

Thank you,
Robert
post #3 of 5 Old 07-16-2002, 08:46 AM

Liked: 10
i had one gave it to my brother it should hook up to any video card i ran it on destination with a voddoo card you may need to down load the driver from gateway should work.
post #4 of 5 Old 07-17-2002, 05:54 AM
AVS Special Member

I have one that I use for cable TV (with a ViewSonic VB50) and DVDs (Skyworth player w/VGA output). It's great as a poor-man's progressive scan DVD setup. Since it's a computer monitor, you can set the vertical height to do the anamorphic squeeze on DVDs. DVDs look fantastic.

I really enjoy this setup. Of course I'd love a larger display, but for the $300 or so, it's pretty tough to beat.

The Bad:
It's not quite as bright as a regular TV, but it's generally not a problem. The geometry on mine isn't perfect; the bottom third or so of the image bows upward just a bit. The built-in speakers are pretty poor as well.

I am curious to find out if this display supports 1080i HDTV. It can scan up to 800x600, (37kHz) which is higher than the rate required for 1080i, but I don't have any firsthand experience with this.
post #5 of 5 Old 07-17-2002, 08:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Several years ago I had both the 31" and 36" Gateway Destination (and retuned both of them). I was not impressed especially with the picture quality when used as a TV. For computer and DVD use it was (barely) OK. The 31" and 36" models had only 1 VGA input (no A/V inputs) and did not require any special software. I would not recommed buying one sight unseen. There may be severe geometry errors that are not correctable. Good luck.

Jay
Closed Thread Direct View (single tube) CRT Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page