Daewoo DSC-34W70N 34" HDTV - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 12 Old 07-15-2002, 12:27 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
After some extensive searching online, I have not yet been able to locate any insightful information on the Daewoo DSC-34W70N 34" HDTV Monitor. It looks like a really nice unit and is now on sale for $1500 from costco.com. You can check that price out here .

Due to the high prices of most HDTV 16:9 sets, this looks like a good value. The closest I can come to this price with a similar unit is a $1600 refurb Philips 34pw9817. I prefer to buy new, especially when spending this much money. None of the costco's in my area (NYC) have this on display, so I am interested in any views on this set. Or even any views on Daewoo hardware - not the cars ;) .

It does look nice...
http://www.costco.com/images/ProdIma...rod/407324.jpg
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 07-15-2002, 02:20 PM - Thread Starter

In reviewing some old posts on this unit, all I can dig up is some specs from the daewoo website:[list=1]
34" Pure Flat V Diagonal Actual Viewing Area
Widescreen 16:9 Aspect Ratio CRT
1920 x 1080i Display Format @ 31.5KHz
3 Display Modes (Full, Zoom, Normal)
Full Digital Processing
Vertical Double Scanning (480p)
Built-in Dolby Pro Logic Surround Sound Decoder
Three Built-in Speaker System (L, C, R)
FS Tuning System, 99 Channel Memory
2 Tuner Picture-In-Picture (PIP)
On-Screen Display (OSD) System
Universal Remote Controller with OSD Remote Tutorial for User Instructions[/list=1]
post #3 of 12 Old 07-15-2002, 02:29 PM - Thread Starter

Here is a picture of the rear panel from the manual...
LL
post #4 of 12 Old 07-15-2002, 02:54 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 48
2 Component ins. Still a good price, even without OTA, but this company has the worst reputation when it comes to repairs. You'll want an extended warranty.

Vimeo is the home of the Super8 Shooter...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 12 Old 07-15-2002, 05:30 PM

An even cheaper new 16:9 30" set from Samsung is at at Best Buy for $1199.
post #6 of 12 Old 07-15-2002, 09:13 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by DonBerg
An even cheaper new 16:9 30" set from Samsung is at at Best Buy for $1199.
Good call. I was actually going to get that Samsung, but it seems that bestbuy.com will not deliver to my zip code. And when I went to the local store, they told me that the warehouse is backordered and who know when I will actually get one. In my continued research, I decided that getting a 34" is a significant enough upgrade in size from 30" to warrant an extra $300. Especially for HDTV.

My real dillemma is whether to get this Daewoo for $1500 or get a refurbished Philips 34pw9817 for $1560. The Philips is also a 16:9 34" HDTV. They seem so similar. Yet the Daewoo is new, and the Philips is a refurb. I know the Philips name is better, but who knows, the Daewoo may turn out to be a pretty decent set. The other plus is getting the Daewoo new from Costco, and the Philips is a refurb from an online shop. Any problems would be much easier solved via Costco than an online retailer... or so I assume.

Any good suggestions?
post #7 of 12 Old 07-16-2002, 06:53 AM
AVS Special Member

My local Costco has this set on display. At one time they even had a progressive scan DVD player hooked up to it. The picture looked very nice ... IMHO comparable to the Sony's, Toshibas, etc. Unfortunately, I have not had the opportunity to see a true HD feed on it.

Just make sure to talk to Costco about their return/exchange plan. For example ... what if there are minor geometry problems (seems to happen on alot of 34" 16:9 sets)

Their website seems encouraging:
Costco's Unconditional Double Guarantee
On merchandise: We guarantee your satisfaction on every product we sell by offering a full refund.

http://www.costco.com/CustService/custsvc.asp
post #8 of 12 Old 07-16-2002, 07:28 AM - Thread Starter

DT_DC: In your opinion, how does the TV look asthetically? I just want to make sure that the unit does not look like it is made of "cheap plastic" I cannot tell how the silver frame looks from the website.

The costco guarantee on their website does look encouraging.

I wish I could do a side-by-side comparison. But the next best thing is this forum :)
post #9 of 12 Old 07-17-2002, 07:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Spyder
DT_DC: In your opinion, how does the TV look asthetically?
My honest reaction to the look of the unit was ... I didn't care for it much. The 'HDTV' in the top left and "Daewoo Digital' in the bottom center stood out way too much (I think one of them might have been glowing) ... one of the square buttons on the bottom right wasn't quite straight ... little things like that. But I wasn't really judging the looks as my direct-view is covered when not in use.

I'll try to drop by tonight (Costco is just acrross the street from work) and take a look at the aesthetics a bit more ... anything else you'd want me to check out?

You said above you were only able to find the specs on the Daewoo web site ... they also have a manual and brochures available:
http://home.daewoodigital.com/s_download.htm
post #10 of 12 Old 07-17-2002, 03:06 PM

In the manual, on page 53 on the "rear panel connections" graphic, it says "When the HDTV monitor is in Video Mode, the monitor transmits Video Signal out."

Video Mode? Are they saying that when the tv is showing video input 1, 2 or 3 (composite and svideo), that the video is sent out the monitor output as well as shown on screen? When it is on dtv or dvd input that it would't show monitor out?
post #11 of 12 Old 07-17-2002, 04:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by jcblack
Video Mode? Are they saying that when the tv is showing video input 1, 2 or 3 (composite and svideo), that the video is sent out the monitor output as well as shown on screen? When it is on dtv or dvd input that it would't show monitor out?
My interpretation was that:
'DTV Mode' allows you to watch a feed via the DVD or DTV inputs (at 480p or 1080i respectively) ... but no signal is sent to the 'monitor out'. No recording from the TV when in 'DTV Mode'
'Video Mode' allows you to watch a feed via any of the other inputs (or the internal tuner) ... and send the signal to the monitor out.

I went over to Costco today ...

Re: Aesthetics
There is a 'HDTV' label on the top left of the case ... and a 'Dolby Digital' one on the top right. These two labels are a metalic blue which at certain agles reflects very brightly. The Daewoo at the bottom is also very silver (but nothing 'glows' as I had remembered). The power button on the floor model was not straight. The side-inputs are not recessed very much ... so you can see them very easily if you're right of center of the TV. Other than that, it looked pretty good. To me, it looked less 'busy' (and therefore better) then the Samsung Tantus 30" sitting beside it. Not a big fan of silver cabinets though ... and this one seemed a little brighter then most (I prefer black or matte gray).

It was connected to an STB via S-Video ... image seemed acceptable.

I couldn't figure out how to change the 'Display Mode' ... so I didn't have a chance to look at "Zoom, Normal, Full". I THINK it was in 4:3 'Full' mode ... which seemed to keep the aspect normal in the center ... and stretch the sides to get a 16:9 image. But I could be mistaken on this.

Switched it to DTV mode for kicks (no signal). I was a little concerned that the menu was very jumpy/jittery when in DTV mode. Perhaps it had to do with the lack of signal. It didn't have the same problem when in normal 'Video' mode.

Price: $1499
$100 mail-in-rebate available (so $1399 total)
post #12 of 12 Old 07-17-2002, 04:12 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the info. That is probably the best physical description of the unit online.
Closed Thread Direct View (single tube) CRT Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page