Panny 36HX42 quirks/misc - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 07-22-2002, 07:41 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I've had my 36" Tau for about a week. It replaced the 41 model I had before. I noticed a couple of things:

1. On the 41 when I was displaying a 1080i signal, it forced me to watch in 16:9 mode. Now I have the option of watching 1080i in 4:3. I'm not sure how this works, but it does. I haven't tried it with real HD content yet to see how it looks, but last night I was watching Sex and the City on HBOHD. I put it into 4:3 mode and a few minutes in there was severe distortion on the top 3 inches of the screen. Almost like the vertical hold was messed up. So I went back to 480i and left it at that. Has anyone else seen anything like this?

2. When I display a DVD (I have an old JVC DVD player w/o proscan), it forces me to watch in 4:3. If I bought a new DVD player, would it let me watch in 16:9? When I go into service mode, it allows me to select 16:9 and 4:3, but it just shrinks the size. So I would imagine I need to get a DVD player that is only going to send 16:9 info. Correct?

3. A really nice feature is that this model allows you to "skip" video inputs that you aren't using. So you don't have to go through 6 inputs to switch, kind of nice. It would be better if you could just select which one via a remote button, but this will do I guess.

4. The more I watch this set, the more I am convinced that pq is far better than on the 41. I had the 41 for about a month and was not that happy with the picture, with the 42 I am very happy with the picture.

5. My wife is convinced that the picture looks better with VM selected, but I am not. So it is off for now. It is neat to be able to go back and forth to see the difference on certain screens. I don't think it is nearly as aggressive as on previous models of the Tau.

6. If you have this model, then I think it would be a must to alter the geometry in the service menu. My set was _way_ off when I got it and now is pretty respectable. The Avia disk helped tremendously in getting the screen set up properly.

Fletch
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 07-22-2002, 08:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Hi, I'm considering this model or one of the other new Panasonics.

Some questions:

1. How does NTSC sources look, like Direct TV or digital cable?

2. Can you turn off the line doubler? It used to be called "Game" (as opposed to Cinema or Vivi) in the HX41 models.

3. Did you by any chance try hooking up a PS2 to it?

4. What did you pay, if you don't mind my asking?
post #3 of 5 Old 07-22-2002, 09:15 AM - Thread Starter

Originally posted by wco81
Hi, I'm considering this model or one of the other new Panasonics.

Some questions:

1. How does NTSC sources look, like Direct TV or digital cable?
Normal DirecTV doesn't look great, but it looks better than on the 41. It has actually improved to the point of being quite acceptable.

2. Can you turn off the line doubler? It used to be called "Game" (as opposed to Cinema or Vivi) in the HX41 models.
I remember seeing this on the 41, but I don't see it on the 42 now.

3. Did you by any chance try hooking up a PS2 to it?
No, I don't have any game systems

4. What did you pay, if you don't mind my asking?
I exchanged my 41 for this 42 by complaining about geometry. I think I paid about $1679 but I got a 5% discount because the company I work for has a deal with Abt Electronics.
post #4 of 5 Old 07-24-2002, 09:09 AM
Advanced Member

So are you saying that when I switch my Panny to game mode I am turning off the line doubler? Is this why DBS pq is slightly sharper when I watch it in game mode?

R. B.
post #5 of 5 Old 07-24-2002, 10:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Yeah the demo I saw was of a DVD. When they switch it to game mode, you could see the scan lines.

Maybe DSS and games don't look so much sharper interlaced as the fact that interlaced hides the flaws better than with the line doubler enabled.
Closed Thread Direct View (single tube) CRT Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page