Sony XBR owners, I have a question for you - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 07-23-2002, 05:34 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey I have the 36XBR400 and when it does the 16:9 squeeze the black bars on top and bottom are huge. Like 3 inches, is this normal? Is there away to adjust it so I use more of my screen? The strange thing is this. I don't remember the bars being that big until I got my sony 9000es DVD player. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 07-23-2002, 05:44 AM
Advanced Member

If you had previously only watched 16:9 or 1.85:1 programming, and recently watched programming with an original aspect ratio of 2.35:1 then the difference is in the programming, not the TV. You are seeing what was intended, and if you are able to make any adjustments, it will be at the expense of losing some of the picture on the far left/right sides of the screen. Try watching a movie that you had previously watched with the "lesser bars" and see if that has changed.
post #3 of 6 Old 07-23-2002, 06:09 AM - Thread Starter

Ok let me tell you what exactly happened. First time I noticed this problem was after I got my 9000es with Black Hawk Down. I plugged it in and had a letter box version of the movie squeezed. I.E. there were two sets of black bars. The outside ones were pure black while the inside ones were grayish black. I just figured it was the DVD until I plugged in the matrix, a movie i have had forever and watch it many times on 2 other dvd players. It did the same thing and never did it before. So I did some fiddling, made sure the dvd player is in 16:9/4:3 wide mode. Went back and forth from progessive to interlaced. When I was done trying to figure out what was causing the problems, the gray bars were gone, but the picture was still the same. Now there are black bars that are about 3" wide on the top and bottom, the picture looks good, but is just smaller than i remember it being when I did the squeeze before.

Now before I had a interlaced panasonic and now i have progressive sony, the dvp9000es and I don't remember the picture being so small. The 9000es is a player that was supposedly made for the tv that I got. 36xbr400. I mean the picture is clear as a bell, just small.

Could it be that the DVD player squeezes the picture then the tv does it also?

I hope I explained the problem well, if not, let me know and I will try again.
post #4 of 6 Old 07-23-2002, 07:20 AM
Advanced Member

If the geometry is correct (ie: the people are not too-short/too-wide, and circles look like circles, not ovals) and the picture fills the width of your screen, then you are now seeing what was intended. It is possible you were previously seeing some of the sides cut off with your other DVD player. I don't know about Black Hawk Down, but my copy of The Matrix is a 2.35:1 aspect ratio, so I get the normal dark black bars that you get with anamorphic squeeze on the XBR, and I also get a slightly less black set of smaller bars which bring the screen to the original aspect ratio of the movie. I don't know about your DVD player, so I don't know if you can zoom or switch to an alternate aspect ratio that is not the standard for the movie that you are viewing, but I'm pretty sure that you can NOT do it via the TV menu. However, keep in mind that most people would consider changing from the original aspect ratio to be a bad thing ... you miss the outer edges of the picture, and the resolution will be less ... similar (but not all the way as bad) to what you get when you watch a VHS movie which cuts off a LOT of the two sides of the movie.
post #5 of 6 Old 07-23-2002, 07:48 AM - Thread Starter

Yep the picture looks great, it is just really small on my screen. I don't want to alter the aspect ratio, i just want to make sure that other xbr shrink the pic down so small.
post #6 of 6 Old 07-23-2002, 08:22 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Jason Monette
Yep the picture looks great, it is just really small on my screen. I don't want to alter the aspect ratio, i just want to make sure that other xbr shrink the pic down so small.
Again keeping in mind that this will only be the case for DVD/HDTV movies with a 2.35:1 original aspect ratio. MANY movies do have an original aspect ratio of 1.85:1, which will be what you had been seeing with your other DVD player.

I actually prefer an original aspect ratio of 1:85:1 or 16:9, but on this forum I am in the minority.
Closed Thread Direct View (single tube) CRT Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page