Discoloration, geometry, and overscan issues (Sony KD-34XBR970) - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 07-12-2014, 11:06 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Discoloration, geometry, and overscan issues (Sony KD-34XBR970)

Hello, everyone! I have noticed several problems on my newly-bought Sony KD-34XBR970, especially when displaying HD devices such as my Wii U. The left and right edges of the picture appear to be warped, bulging inward and outward in some areas. I think these are geometry issues, but I am not sure. I also notice significant overscan while playing Wii games on the Wii U. Finally, a thin blob of discoloration appears on the right edge of the screen - it appears differently against different backgrounds (e.g., green against a white background). This problem is seen not just when displaying HD devices, but all the time!

To what extent can these problems be resolved in the set's service menu, and what are the settings that I should be looking at? Your help is appreciated!

Best,
Windfish
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 07-13-2014, 12:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Location: Sacramento delta N. Cal. US Don't trust any air I can't see ☺
Quoted: 419 Post(s)
Liked: 340
Geometry issues are baked into flat CRT both my Wegas had them .
The other thing ( discoloration ) sounds like purity or stray magnetism if you have a solderer gun plug it in pull the trigger hold it sideways close to the screen and move it in a circular motion covering the screen than step away from the screen and release the trigger.

This is a "poor mans degassing coil" if you will since they might be hard to find these days and might take care of any stray magnetism the sets internal degausser missed it may also subside on its own but may take a long time to do that .

The pincushion effect of warped edges on video game systems is not unheard of and may be indicative if some scaling issues also if there is anything (like a pincushion adjustment ) in the service menu to mitigate that maybe someone else will come along with an answer for that .

Hires Music formats ..............."Why does it sound like a CD ?" ............. "can we make it louder "?
"The wireless music box has no commercial value. Who would pay for a message sent to nobody in particular?"
- David Sarnoff's associates at RCA the 1920's -

Last edited by tubetwister; 07-13-2014 at 12:09 AM.
post #3 of 11 Old 07-13-2014, 06:09 PM - Thread Starter

tubetwister (re: #2 ),

Thank you for your reply. I love the picture quality of the 970, but owning it has been nothing but issue after issue. I appreciate the advice.

With respect to the overscan problem, the overscanning is only occuring in Wii Mode, not in Wii U Mode. If I adjust the picture settings in the service menu to correct the overscan in Wii Mode, I will be affecting the position and scaling of the picture in Wii U mode, and what might be the right settings for Wii games may not be the right settings for Wii U games. I will, it seems, be perpetually adjusting settings when I want to play games! This is awful!

I truly do not know what to do.

Best,
Windfish
post #4 of 11 Old 07-14-2014, 06:55 AM - Thread Starter

Here is a question: is there an external device that could help minimize overscan?
post #5 of 11 Old 07-14-2014, 07:51 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 15
You might be able to achieve this end with various scalers, industrial and otherwise, but in the end you will still be doing what you need to do now: readjust every time you go from system to system. This is not so much a CRT problem as it is a broadcast problem that older equipment was designed around, and that newer equipment sought to eliminate. Pairing the newer (your consoles) with the older (your CRT), you're always going to have this to deal with it seems.
post #6 of 11 Old 07-27-2014, 09:55 PM - Thread Starter

I am looking into getting a professional to address these issues for me, but I wonder how many of these problems have no resolution. I have played around in the service menu for a long time and just couldn't get the edges of the picture to be a straight line. What do you guys think?
post #7 of 11 Old 07-29-2014, 01:18 PM - Thread Starter

I talked to a few professionals. They are all expensive. :P And at least one thought that the power supply might be bad, so calibrating it would only delay further deterioration. That would be greatest fear, and I wonder if there is any to test the theory out.
post #8 of 11 Old 08-05-2014, 05:02 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
yep,They are all expensive. :P And at least one thought that the power supply might be bad, so calibrating it would only delay further deterioration. That would be greatest fear, and I wonder if there is any to test the theory out.thanks
post #9 of 11 Old 08-12-2014, 12:12 PM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Windfish View Post
Hello, everyone! I have noticed several problems on my newly-bought Sony KD-34XBR970, especially when displaying HD devices such as my Wii U. The left and right edges of the picture appear to be warped, bulging inward and outward in some areas. I think these are geometry issues, but I am not sure. I also notice significant overscan while playing Wii games on the Wii U. Finally, a thin blob of discoloration appears on the right edge of the screen - it appears differently against different backgrounds (e.g., green against a white background). This problem is seen not just when displaying HD devices, but all the time!

To what extent can these problems be resolved in the set's service menu, and what are the settings that I should be looking at? Your help is appreciated!

Best,
Windfish
It's probable the service menu could make a improvement but you need to be careful in there as the wrong move can brick your television
THE SONY SERVICE CODES - Articles, Comments, Discoveries
post #10 of 11 Old 08-13-2014, 06:25 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Windfish View Post
I am looking into getting a professional to address these issues for me, but I wonder how many of these problems have no resolution. I have played around in the service menu for a long time and just couldn't get the edges of the picture to be a straight line. What do you guys think?
My CRT has had imperfect geometry since it was new. You can use the service menu to possibly make minor improvements but it will never be perfectly straight, at least that's been my experience. All of the game consoles output slightly different resolutions so again, you can use the service menu to find a compromise but you will either have overscan with some consoles or black lines around the image for others. I advise adjusting the horizontal/vertical position/size based on the console with the smaller resolution so that the image fills the screen. You will then have overscan on other consoles which may be annoying but on the plus side overscan tends to hide some of the geometry problems and/or other imperfections. There may be a different route but this was my solution.
post #11 of 11 Old 08-14-2014, 09:21 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I often see it said that geometry is never correct on a CRT, but that hasn't been my experience.

It is frequent that a widescreen CRT has bad geometry though, they just seem to be much more easily misaligned over time and use. A good 4.3 tube typically has excellent geometry and is easy to correct if it goes bad, presuming there isn't a catastrophic reason for the fault (e.g. such as if you were to drop it while moving, etc.). I figure it is just the nature of the ratio, the geometry is more easily supported properly (4.3) when it is closer than when it is farther out (16.9); relative size may play a part as well because I have had much more luck with 26 & 30 inch wide screen CRTs than 34, but overall I've had the least problems and best corrected geometry to 4.3 CRTs.
Reply Direct View (single tube) CRT Displays
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page