AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sony KV-34XBR800 FAQ

91K views 621 replies 109 participants last post by  ADU 
#1 ·
Hi all

Sony has nothing on their website (EDIT: on 12Sep2002 I saw http://www.sonystyle.com/home/item.j...ps=null&type=s ) about a TV that several of us own of many are interested in. Here is an early press release http://news.sel.sony.com/pressrelease/2021 or one can easily find threads by doing a search with "34xbr800" in the title like: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...hreadid=157865

This might be ambitious but with the help of Hoppy, Magic123, Brad Hood, MSmith and others we might help establish a FAQ (or something like that :D). How about if I start off with some obvious things and we all chip in. Much of the below is straight from the manual and some is opinions. Thanks.

1. What is the Sony KV-34XBR800?

This is Sony's 34" widescreen flatscreen (16:9) Trinitron Wega Hi Definition TV released ~ August 2002. It features an adjustable line doubler (DRC Multifunction V1), Twin View, Memory Stick Picture Viewer, Component Video Inputs (a total of 7 inputs including DVI), and the usual 3-2 pulldown. The 34xbr800 has no OTA HD tuner but here is a link to what do I need to get OTA HDTV on the 34xbr800? .

2. How big is it?

The manual says 39 1/8" X 24 1/2" X 23 1/4" at 201 lbs.

3. How much does it cost?

MSRP around $2500 or about the same as new Toshibas and Pannys. Street price may be 10% lower depending on features such as home set-up, packaged with warranty & stand, etc.

4. How is the Picture Quality?

This varies on the source. A good land cable signal will look good. DVDs are awesome. There is reported on another thread some "soft edge focus" by machine measurement. See: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...readid=158391. There have been no visual complaints registered by users when using only eyes unless one gets closer than about 6'. See: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...hreadid=160745

5. How are the speakers?

Much better than average.

6. What about stretch?

With programs not in 720p or 1080i there 4 "wide mode" choices.

From the manual . . . "Wide Zoom enlarges the 4:3 picture, while the upper and lower parts of the picture are condensed to fit the 16:9 screen. Normal returns the 4:3 picture to the original size. Full Mode stretches the 4:3 picture to fill the 16:9 screen. Zoom Mode enlarges the 4:3 picture horizontally and vertically to an equal aspect ratio that fills the 16:9 screen. Useful for watching Letterbox movies."

From MSmith . . . "Here's what the stretch modes mean:

Normal - 4:3 (or sometimes auto-16:9)

Full - 16:9, stretched horizontally if necessary

Zoom - zoom in so that 4:3 horizontally fills the screen, cutting off top and bottom

Wide Zoom - Like Full, but the stretch is more extreme at the edges of the screen and the center is mostly left alone. Supposed to make people look human while filling the screen."

I have used stretch for NTSC 4:3 but not yet on a DVD quality 4:3. Stretch definitely worsens picture quality (grainy) and distorts images (widens 4:3 images) so everyone has to decide what is most pleasing to his/her eyes.

7. If I don't use stretch will I get a burn-in?

Burn-in is unlikely with direct view especially if it is not left on with a 4:3 image for long periods (like overnight) and if it is calibrated to be less vivid.

8. How do I calibrate?

The 34xbr800 is amazingly well calibrated at the factory - better than older Sony's for sure. The "View Mode" includes Vivid (which must be for factory showroom floors because it is WAY too vivid = distortion), Standard (less vivid), Movie (less vivid) and Pro ("to display a picture with minimum enhancements" quoting from the manual but put those enhancements like SVM (scan velocity modulation) in quotes because it may be sacrificing picture quality. Out of the box, I used Pro Mode. On AVIA I only needed to drop Picture/Whiteness by 1/4 or 3 notches and do the same for Sharpness. I did not have to change Brightness/Blackness, Color, or Hue. Some like the picture straight out of the box so setting up the 34xbr800 to look nice is easy.

9. What is DRC?

Digital Reality Creation is the Sony name for their line doubler. It comes in 3 flavors: As per the manual, Interlaced is "recommended for moving pictures", Progressive for "still images and text", and CineMotion "provides an optimized display by automatically detecting film content and applying a reverse 3/2 pulldown process. Moving pictures will appear clearer and more natural-looking".

Confused yet? I just leave mine on CineMotion and cannot tell a difference flipping through the 3 modes.

10. Do you like it and would you buy it if you had the same choices again?

I love the TV at 24 hours. The 34xbr800 picture looks great with regular cable and is mind-blowing with DVD, has a bunch of connections so I won't run out of upgrade add-on connections, and is the best TV with the most options I have seen or owned. It was hard to wait for the 34xbr800 to land in the local stores but it was worth the wait.

OK everyone please correct and add to this thread and it will make an easy place for 34xbr800 owners and potential buyers to give & get the inside viewpoints they will never get from the owner's manual or from Sony. Hope someone does this for my next purchase. :D Hooray for avsforum!!! Thanks and happy viewing. :)

Rick

PS at edit, I add links to update the FAQ such as . . .
What TV stand for 34xbr800? and 34xbr800 service mode and 34xbr800 adjustments and 32hv600 geometry and Tweaking the 34xbr800 and 34xbr800 owner's manual and Sony service manual and vertical bars when viewing 1080i and what do stretch modes look like on a widescreen monitor? and choosing a calibration DVD and anyone got a HTPC hooked up to a 34xbr800? and do the DVI inputs on current TV sets accept a signal from the DVI outputs on a computer video card? .

See less See more
#27 ·
The whole "price match" marketing for consumer electronics is really a sham. Just like matresses - every store carries different model mattress even though they are identidal. Example:

Model 12yusyeorj9347230254

Model 2383572095-325842 -77

The manufacturer distribution of merchandise among its dealers is set up to protect its dealerships' margins.

For Consumer Electronics, the local stores are pretty much familiar with each other. The "advertised" price is never lower than 5-10% ($100-$200 off $2k+ items). When a large chain store calls another store for price verification, the store at the other end can always tell.

In order for one to get a true price match, you'd have to front $$$ and pay fo the item. Before it's delivered, you can always try bringing in your receipt and get another store to match the price, AND THEN, return ot the original store to get a refund - very nonsensical.

nobody matches internet pricing in my area.

Everybody's got to eat.....;)

#28 ·
Quote:
rick--

apropos the adjustments, when you say you cut picture and sharpness by three notches or 1/4 off factory settings, well, I'm not clear on what that means.

I believe in main menu there are like 32 bars for each item (64 bars in the underlying submenu where the adjustments are actually made). Center point on main menu is 16 (32 on submenu). With these numbers could you restate your settings?

For example, if talking about PRO MODE, factory setting is 16 (centered), then 1/4 off would be 12 bars in main menu or 24 in submenu (measured from full left)?

Also, I wish you would take a close up look in 4:3 NORMAL mode to see if you can find any sliver of red or blue on either edge of the picture.

And, if you want to step through the AVIA test screens, I'd also like to know if your picture is perfectly centered (the L-Shaped corner marks visible on all 4 corners with the "crosshatch" screen up.

Finally, you're a genius! So used to living in Behind-the-times-ville it never occurred to me to even look for ISF trained person in MS. Astonishing! Thanks *very* much. Made my day. I already wrote a long note to the guy in Biloxi (closest to me).
Hoppy

Thanks for making me be more precise and not just "eyeball" it. Forget what I said before - it was confusing :eek: . With the TV warmed up and room very dark here is what I use on Pro Mode in the menu where you can SEE all the settings with 32 hash marks (NOT the submenu where you adjust one setting with 64 hash marks). My Picture is on 12 out 32, Brightness 15/32, Color 15/32, Hue 15/32, and Sharpness 12/32. As you know, one click either way doesn't change much but I based it on the AVIA and was amazed at how little tweaking the TV needed in Pro Mode. It would look fine on default Pro but I like to use a lower range of accurate settings to minimize risk of tube wear and burn-in. Maybe that is partly in my head.:D

On the normal 4:3 mode on cable TV watching a moving picture, when I got to about 4 to 5' I could see a thin intermittent changing with the picture blue vertical line on the extreme right edge of the picture when I specifically looked for it. From > 5' it blends in with the black bar and I can't see it. On the left edge there was an intermittent line, often pink line and changing with the picture but more faint than on the right. From > 5' both lines vanish. At worst they intermittently "frame" the edges at

After using AVIA, I came back to edit this post. On AVIA, chapter 7 Calibrations & Convergence: Dot Hatch, I cannot see all of the "L" patterns. The picture is shifted so the right side of the picture is about 3mm (1/8") lower than the left at the corners and the entire picture is shifted about 3mm to the left so the L patterns on the left are not entirely visible. This is so subtle that the checkerboard test looks fine to me. There is also about 5% overscan on AVIA testing. DonBerg points out that overscan on HDTV can be more than on DVD. It is not often I get right up to my TV with a ruler on a test pattern so I can't imagine anyone seeing a 3mm (1/8") geomety issue on a 34" TV during actual viewing but maybe some can. :D

Good luck on the ISF search and thanks for your posts. I am happy to help. The folks who invented this forum are the real genius category folks.

Rick

#29 ·
The DRC remains rather mysterious. Today I had a Homer Simpson moment (doh!!!) when I discovered how to change DRC on the custom palette.

There is a good "gaming on the widescreen incl. xbr800 thread" at http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...readid=160649.

In it Veldrin said:

Quote:
A note on the DRC: The DRC palette adjustment feature has a very noticeable effect on how non-progressive scan games look. To go through the extremes: - 1R, 1C (1% "Reality", 1% "Clarity") gives a very soft/fuzzy appearance, with fine details in textures (especially in the UI's) look very blurry and indistinct.

- 100R, 1C brings textures more into focus, but almost to a fault. Jaggies become very apparent, and the overall look of the screen is very grainy and artifacted.

- 1R, 100C looks almost identical to 1R, 1C, but is slightly more blurry. (and yet they refer to it as "clarity").

- 100R, 100C is IMHO the best looking setting of these four. Cranking the clarity while the reality it turned so high seems to smooth out grainy, artifacted look of the textures quite nicely. One of the default settings for the DRC (55R, 50C) looks pretty good as well.
I played with the DRC on my worst picture quality source, cable TV and ReplayTV recorded cable TV where I could freeze the frame. To me the effects are subtle but I mostly agree with Veldrin. Increasing the clarity (horizontal axis) seems to minimize grainy picture quality sort of like a "soft focus" in a camera. Increasing the reality (vertical axis) seems add to fine details at the expense of increasing jaggy lines (sort of a "sharp focus" in the reality rather than the "soft focus" of the clarity setting). Maybe if you have a great PQ the sharp focus is good but with grainy cable TV, adding some soft focus to the PQ helps decrease the grainy texture. Maybe someone can explain this better. I am not sure of the best setting but adding some clarity can help decrease picture graininess. Also the switch between Interlaced, Progressive, & Cinemotion seems subtle too. I think there is more grainy PQ on interlaced but couldn't tell much difference on Progressive v. Cinemotion. Since "optimal" DRC may depend on how grainy your cable TV PQ is and how far away you sit, your mileage may vary. For now, I am going to use clarity = or > 50 on my cable TV picture and leave it in Cinemotion. There are 3 custom settings so you can make a different one for DVD too. More later. What are others finding?

Rick

#31 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by ricbayer
The DRC remains rather mysterious. For now, I am going to use clarity = or > 50 on my cable TV picture and leave it in Cinemotion. There are 3 custom settings so you can make a different one for DVD too. More later. What are others finding?

Rick
Rick--

I stumbled on the DRC controls the first time I went through the menus. Since then I've been playing with them whenever I get some particular problem in the picture--too gritty and artifacted, too smooth, etc. etc. I kind of hesitate to express my view, which is: BIG FREAKING DEAL! These are just like sharpness/smoothness controls and Yes, they are useful sometimes, but the adjustableness isn't a Godsend, IMHO. There are other ways to get similar effects (sharpness comes to mind), so by now, unless I get a particular problem, I leave the settings at their defaults, and maybe cycle through the three defaults with the remote to see if one setting or another fits a particular signal better.

#32 ·
Something else for the FAQ. This site has specific information for entering the Service Menu and making adjustments there.

I have not, and probably will not, go into the service menu to mess with my set. I have found an ISF calibrator and feel more comfortable invloving him in the process.

Still, for them as are inclined to live dangerously . . . .

#33 ·
For what it's worth, this is what it looks like. I plan on going through and photographing all the screens since it's a little difficult figuring out what changes and what doesn't as you cycle through. See the instructions at site in prior msg for getting in (OFF, DISPLAY, 5, VOL UP, ON -- all within 1 sec of each other).

#34 ·
I went through and photographed each screen of the service menu (as far as I know). This was done by calling it up, and then paging through by pressing the 1 key. As far as I can tell there are 518 screens in the service menu. It's possible I might have missed one or two!

The attachment is a small contact sheet showing the first 6 screens.

Cheers--

#35 ·
Does anyone know if the DVI supports HDCP?

#36 ·
RLReady,

Yes it does.

Hi everyone, I just got my XBR800 delivered yesterday. I've done a lot of reading and have specifically read the threads concerning the set on this board. However I must admit since in the past I've pretty much used my TV"s "out-of-the-box" things like "convergence" and "soft edge focus" are overwhelming me. I expect to receive the AVIA disc sometime within the next couple of days. My setup is as follows:

s500bk JVC progressive scan DVD player (component)

XBox (component)

PS2 (component)

DirecTV Tivo (S-Video)

My viewing habits are split evenly between DirecTV, gaming, and DVDs. My viewing area can be darkened during the day and I sit 9' form the set (adjustable). With this in mind any tips for getting the most out of my TV would be greatly appreciated.

#37 ·
To get the most out of your TV, you should probably get it calibrated by an ISF technician. Runs about $150, but you will get the most out of your set. AVIA helps, but can't do what an ISF tech can do. You've already spent $2000, what's another $150?

Look for one closest to you at www.imagingscience.com

#38 ·
Hi All,

I think I saw the equivalent TV here in New Zealand and it states that it handles 720p input on component.

Does anybody know if the US version does this and if so, is it native or does it convert to 1080i for display?

#40 ·
Hi Hoppy -

I've been following your adventure with the 34xbr800 with great interest, and am about to buy one, here in northern NJ. Thanks very much for sharing your experience. I saw a demo at p c richards and am convinced that this set is the best picture obtainable - really like a window on the subject.

First, I need to be sure of the Sony warranty, and ask that you describe the actual warranty you received with the set. The store said 90 days labor, one year parts; onecall has it at two years labor, two years parts, with in-home service. The latter would be a winner, and I'd probably pass up the $350 extended warranty store offer.

Thanks for your help.

jim nj

#42 ·
,,The warranty on the Sony 34RBR800 is 2 years..parts and labor.. Also..'in-home diagnostic' waranty serice is provided during this time through a Sony authorized Service Station. Do not buy a 3 year service contact UNLESS..the service contract takes over at beginning of third yr and goes for 3 full years..All service contracts are somewhat of rip-off because they cover some of your Sony warranty period. Always be sure your warranty (from store) takes affect when your sony contract ends.

#43 ·
90 days labor one year parts

--

onecall has it at two years labor, two years parts, with in-home service.

--

the manufacturer's warranty is 1 year parts/labor and 2 years on the tube.

--

The warranty on the Sony 34RBR800 is 2 years parts and labor.

--

OK, 2 of the 4 are the same. Shall we just call it 2 years parts and labor? I guess I could call Sony, but then again they don't know anything about the set. :) Whats the warranty card that came with the set say?

#44 ·
tic-tac

The Idiot, I mean sales person told me at CC that the warranty was 90 days labor, 1 year parts. The Price tag said right on it , 2yrs parts, 2yrs labor, I pointed it out to him and he said, uhh yeah, I forgot , LOL

Jim

#46 ·
I called Sony and heard that the warranty was, yes, 2 years parts and labor, with in home diagnostics (?). Back to store, well, yes, that is the warranty. Bought the 34xbr800 - delivery soon. See post under price thread. Thanks to all for most helpful faq, posts, thoughts.

#47 ·
Thanks for all the great warranty info. I bought the 34XBR800 today and almost picked up the extended warranty as well. But I didn't, and am now extremely happy with my decision.

Delivery is tomorrow, so I'll probably have lots of questions.

The set, however, looked fabulous in the store. The DVD they played looked a bit grainy, but the signal was split about a thousand times and the cables used were cheap. Still, the set looked better than anything else on the floor. And when the salesguy piped in the HD signal (through a Samsung T151 STB), the PQ blew me away! Can't wait to get HD here at home, but will probably wait until the Samsung T165 and/or Sony SAT-HD200 are available. Also need to pick up a progressive scan DVD player in the near future (also waiting for the new Sony DVP-CX875P mega changer to be released later this month).

DVD question re: 34XBR800 --

Without progressive scan, how should I set up the TV to receive the DVD picture? If there's a line-doubling feature, should I use that (and how do I access it?)? Or do I need to do anything at all? Any advice on getting the best possible picture would be greatly appreciated.

Also, is the AVIA disc an absolute must?

Thanks for all the help! And, Hoppy, thanks especially to you for taking the time to detail all of your experiences. Your trailblazing really helped me A LOT!! BTW, how's that new satellite working out?

#48 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by dbacksfan
And, Hoppy, thanks especially to you for taking the time to detail all of your experiences. Your trailblazing really helped me A LOT!! BTW, how's that new satellite working out?
dbacks--

Sat is fine so far, though I still haven't gotten the HD receiver. Was going to try to pick something up cheap (300+) and then get the new Zenith when it comes out next month or two. But, may just wait for the new units.

The other thought I had was that for my purposes, maybe the cheap unit is sufficient (I don't really want to spend $800 for a receiver to watch HBO/SHO/HDNet only, and I've got zilch for OTA possibilities).

The AVIA is a good deal but I'd get the cheaper $15 one called

Sound & Vision Home Theater Tuneup which does all the same stuff for $19. or less. AVIA has some extra test screens but not worth the extra money IMHO.

Also, because the Sony is well tuned in stock condition, you can usually get a fine picture out of it just listening to waht folks say around here (turn down the Picture and Brightness, roll of the Sharpness a little, notch down teh color if the red art bothering you, cut off the edge enhance, etc).

Plus, if you have any intention of having the set calibrated . . .

I have the cheap Sony progressive scan DVD so don't know much about setting it up for non-progressive. You can set PROGRESSIVE mode in one of the menus, but I really don't know what it does--that may be your answer.

I've been sitting on all these photos of the complete SERVICE MENU (518 screens, as I remember) and have not gone in to make any changes yet. Don't know if I will. I anticipated more interest in those picture and the things one could do, but the interest here seems limited. There is a site called Keohi HDTV which is interesting, has some tips and tricks, and a link to the Haukap Site where all the SERVICE MENU stuff is, and where some suggestions for tweaking are made.

In an excess of carefulness I'm not doing anything yet.

It's a great TV and I expect you'll like it a lot. I do, and I'm not sure if getting that extra 1% or PQ is really worth the trouble. There always the Get A Life maxim to remember (my wife is astonished that I have spent as much time as I have "reading about TV." You don't even like TV, she tells me, and she's right about that, more or less. We watch an hour a night, maybe. Movies when we have a couple of hours to spare and there's something other than crap available on TV or at Blockbuster (ie, not that often). Still, it looks marvelous there on teh fancy Charles Eames table, so on balance we're ahead.

Cheers--

#49 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by jim nj
First, I need to be sure of the Sony warranty, and ask that you describe the actual warranty you received with the set.

jim nj
Jim--

As everybody has by now said (i haven't been around that much) it's two years parts and labor. Really negates the need for the extended warranty pretty much, IMHO.

Cheers--

#50 ·
Hoppy, by the "cheap" Sony progressive scan DVD player, do you mean the 715P? I'm also looking to add an inexpensive progressive player and have been thinking that's the one, despite the whole chroma bug thing and the recommendations of the Panasonic 62, 82, etc... One day I'll have enough $$$ saved to get a higher end PS DVD, but for right now, I think the 715P will do the trick...

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.