Sony KV-34XBR800 FAQ - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 622 Old 08-26-2002, 10:27 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
MSmith,

When using AVIA (or other calibration DVDs), do you calibrate just on Pro mode, or do you also calibrate on Vivid, Standard and Movie?

I just ordered the Sound & Vision DVD and am looking forward to doing (a little) tinkering.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 622 Old 08-26-2002, 10:40 AM

I just wanted to add that Comcast cable made a service call to my house yesterday to fix a high-speed internet issue. While there, the tech noticed that the signal coming into the house was much weaker than it should be. Prior to his visit, I hadn't noticed any PQ problems and was generally quite pleased with my analog cable. Of course, the 34XBR800 showed me the defects in the cable picture that my previous 14-year-old Sony had masked, but I accepted the graininess and soft edges, and never questioned whether the PQ could be improved.

The Comcast tech tweaked the lines coming into the house, replaced an old splitter and fine-tuned an amp. The signal strength improved dramatically. Not only did that fix my high-speed internet issues, it noticeably improved the picture on my 34XBR800! I was quite surprised and pleased. Images are sharper and crisper as well as less grainy. I'm still planning to get D* in the next couple of months, but really can't imagine the PQ getting much better.

So, it might be worth it for all the analog cable viewers who have recently pruchased a 34XBR800 to have a cable tech come out and test the signal and tweak the lines. It's free and it certainly shouldn't hurt anything.

Just my two cents...
post #93 of 622 Old 08-27-2002, 01:19 AM
Advanced Member

dbacks--

had something similar a few weeks ago, pre-34xbr. second the motion.

cheers--

Hoppy
"The guy was too dead to talk."
post #94 of 622 Old 08-27-2002, 10:58 AM

I did the calibration on Pro mode, since it seems to me that the settings ARE the reason for different modes. (ie. the modes are one snapshot of the settings).

If I'm wrong about that, please correct me.
post #95 of 622 Old 08-27-2002, 11:33 AM
AVS Special Member

..I used Avia..and only..adjusted..one of the modes..leaving the others as they were..Of course, you can always ..reset..all the viewing modes to factory positions..at any time...Happy Viewing.
post #96 of 622 Old 08-27-2002, 11:56 AM

Could you use images from the memory stick as a source for patterns/images for calibration? Does the manual say anything about the resolution of the images that can be displayed from the memory stick?

It seems that they would probably be much higher res than anything from a progressive dvd (480p). Has anyone even used the memory stick to display images?
post #97 of 622 Old 08-27-2002, 01:08 PM

jcblack,

I just viewed some images taken with my Sony DSC-P5 digital camera for the first time using a memory stick. First of all, the images are beautifully rendered on the 16:9 screen, very crisp and clear and vivid.

I don't know about using those images as a point for calibration (haven't received my calibration DVD yet). According to the manual, the TV *cannot* view images "with less than 16 horizontal and/or vertical lines per dot" OR images with "more than 4096 horizontal and/or vertical lines per dot." That's about the extent of what it says about memory stick resolution.

Alas, I don't yet have a progressive scan DVD player yet, so can't compare image quality.
post #98 of 622 Old 08-28-2002, 06:37 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Hi all

Thanks for keeping this thread current. Have had the TV for 3 weeks and probably logged about 80 hours or so of watching. Last night watched Evil Dead directed by Sam Raimi and starring Bruce Campbell. It was widescreen DVD and this great horror flick really looked great too.

I always use the pro mode and calibrate from there. I haven't tried calibrating from the movie mode but will that give two different memories in the TV? That might help if your DVD gives a darker picture than your cable TV or if room lighting changes? If you check it out, please report back.

I had listed my previous settings in the thread but started to notice sunburned blushing white folks so cut back the Color. After I had a chance to redo AVIA, I notice a 5 to 10% red push on the color bar at mid settings. My conclusion is that my xbr800 has a red shift of about 5 to 10%. AVIA and my eyeball (looking at white flesh tones on DVD) both suggested dropping the Color setting just a bit. Now I like it much better because flesh tones look accurate - at least for Western Oregon where we don't get much sun :D.

Currently, at 7 to 8' in a pretty dark room using AVIA and eyeball the "big five" video settings beyond Pro Mode are:

Picture 12/32 or 4/32 notches to the left of mid-line or over the "s" in the word "select" in the 64 notch menu or about 24/64,

Brightness in the middle or 16/32 or over the "l" in the word "select" in the 64 notch menu or 32/64

Color 14/32 or 2/32 notches to the left of mid-line or over the "e" in the word "select" in the 64 notch menu or about 27/64,

Hue in the middle, and

Sharpness at 11/32 or 5 notches to the left of mid-line or over the "s" in the 64 notch menu or about 22/64.

I leave cinemotion on and use 0.0 setting on the DRC palette which gives a slightly "softer" picture and hides much of the grainy part of a NTSC CATV signal. I am not convinced yet that going to 50,50 or 100,100 on DVD is that much better. Anyone played with that enough yet? What are some other thoughts?

My overscan is 4 to 5% and from what I read, 3 to 5% is desirable. I finally got around to playing with the limited geometry controls in the Setup menu. After using the cross, circle, & dot hatch from AVIA, I mentioned on this thread I had noticed a slight tilt and a shift in the picture. I was able to correct that by moving tilt to minus two and and adding a vertical increase of plus one. My picture would need to go about 1/8" or 3 mm to the right to be geometrically near perfect from 1 to 2' away. Whether I will notice this at 7 to 8' who knows? :D

My question is that if my Sony computer monitors allow me to move the picture to the right (or left), how come I can't get controls in the TV user menu that are as flexible as the controls on a Sony computer monitor? Hey Sony, what is the problem? If I can go up and down on the TV menu - why can't I go left and right? This is not a big issue but it perplexes me. This may be addressable in the service menu? Has anyone seen a service manual for the 34xbr800 or had an ISF calibration?

Thanks and happy viewing. :)

Rick
post #99 of 622 Old 08-30-2002, 12:23 PM

any advice on where to buy this set here in new jersey?
thanks
post #100 of 622 Old 08-31-2002, 12:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
any advice on where to buy this set here in new jersey?
I don't know if it's true but... I've heard www.6ave.com on New Jersey, sells the 34xbr800 for around $1900. You'll have to call them because the tv is not listed on the web site. Just give it a try. Here's a link for Jersey locations : http://www.6ave.com/retail_nj.jsp
post #101 of 622 Old 08-31-2002, 10:42 AM

dalegen -
Got my 34xbr800 at p c richard, Route 10 (Joe), two weeks ago. Then, only they had it. Paid @$2300 delivered, plus sales tax. Delivery was in-house, done just fine, no problems so far. I did not take their extended warranty, since Sony gives 2 years, and my credit card adds 1 year. Good luck, and please let us know how you make out.
jim nj
post #102 of 622 Old 08-31-2002, 07:08 PM

i just came from the wiz(menlo), 6th ave(rt 18), best buy(rt 1)
pc richards(rt 1).
6th avenue prices are ridiculous(like almost $1000 more expensive.
pc richards can give a good deal on the xbr800(currently 2499) i told them io would go back after i decide where i will make the purchase.

im trying to get 1 year no payments.
post #103 of 622 Old 09-03-2002, 02:18 PM

Since Sony doesn't haven any info about the kv-34xbr800 on the US site, I thought I'd look around at the Japan site. Here is what I found:

They have a kd-36HD800 and a kd-36hd600. Here are the pages for each:
translated:800, 600
original:800, 600

There isn't a lot of info about each model (new? old?), but its at least something to look at.
post #104 of 622 Old 09-03-2002, 08:02 PM

jim nj i decided to get the hitachi 51swx20b which plays everything from 480i to 1080i from sears
post #105 of 622 Old 09-03-2002, 10:36 PM
Advanced Member

Thread on perimeter flashes when turning on 34XBR800.

Hoppy
post #106 of 622 Old 09-05-2002, 03:19 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Hoppy

Thanks for adding the thread. Did you (or anyone else) get a chance to do the color bars test on the AVIA at the xbr800's mid setting for color. Did you also notice a red push like I mentioned above. Is this "red push" unique to my TV or is it a Sony 34xbr800 thing is what I am trying to figure out. Cutting down on the color setting seems to fix it on my TV and skin tones now look normal but if there is a red push that is common to this unit, others might like to know. Thanks.

Rick
post #107 of 622 Old 09-05-2002, 04:40 PM

Red push is pretty typical for most brands, especially Mitsubishi and Panasonic. Toshiba seems to be the least, only about 5% on the Avia test. Mitsubishi's have 25% how much red push do you read on the Sony 34XBR800 from the AVIA test?
post #108 of 622 Old 09-05-2002, 05:36 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

DonBerg et al

I noticed that some faces appeared blushing and sunburned so ran an AVIA check. Red push is about 5 to 10% on AVIA using the center mid-line default controls PRO mode setting. Then I just cut back the picture until the skin tones appeared normal. Dropping the color from the middle 16/32 down to 14/32 really made a helpful difference and it looks fine now. Thanks for the info. I would like to hear others input but maybe the 34xbr800 is somewhere in the middle of the pack on red push.

Hey Don (and others), there is a nifty option in the setup menu of the 34xbr800 where you adjust tilt to improve geometry. With a minus 2 setting my tilt geometry is near perfect except the picture could be 3 mm or 1/8" to the right. There is an adjustment in the setup menu that allows you the move the picture up and down but there is no control that allows one to move the picture right & left. Doh!!! So, my Sony computer monitors can move the picture up & down or left & right but the TV only goes up & down. Are there other TV's that let you move the picture both up/down and left/right. Fortunately, 1/8" is something I won't notice especially at 7 to 8' but it still would be nice to have the option to move the picture sideways too. Any thoughts on that too?

Thanks.

Rick
post #109 of 622 Old 09-05-2002, 09:54 PM

Hi,

I have an 34XBR800 and have noticed with AVIA, and with stock tickers that horizontal lines on the bottom right of the screen start bending upwards towards the edge of the tube. I can't notice this much with regular content, but with stock tickers or content with horizontal lines can be easily seen. Also with stock tickers(CNBC) if one looks at the top edge of the ticker accross the entire screen their is a bit of a wave effect(up and down), and bending up towards the right edge of the screen.

I realize that CRT geometry probably can't be perfect, but compared to my computer monitor the 34xbr800 looks a bit off. Why can't Sony make TVs with a least as good of geometry as a cheap computer monitor?

Other then the issue I am having with the 34xbr800 geometry -- and it may be my issue? How close should the geometry be on a consumer set like this? -- I really love the picture. I also really suprised on how well the wide zoom mode works.

Man DVDs don't look to good compared to OTA HDTV!! Watching HDTV and going back to regular sources is a little harsh.

indexit
post #110 of 622 Old 09-06-2002, 12:53 AM

I've heard its a lot more difficult for Sony or any manufacturer to get good geometry on larger flat CRTs - even more so with 16:9 tubes. Computer monitors are a lot smaller (21" or less) and 4:3, so they are a lot easier. In the service menu there should be options there to vary the horizontal and vertical position, vertical height and horizontal width. Also the service menu should provide a bunch of options for geometry, similar to those on computer monitors for parabola/pin-cushion adjustments, etc.

Every consumer larger tube flat CRT HDTV set I've seen is not setup for geometry as good as it can be. I suppose its a cost issue, takes a lot more time for a technician to setup each set perfectly, so they probably just use some typical settings that will not be perfect, but they assume its good enough. In my case I have a Toshiba 34HF81 (34" flat 16:9 set) that I gathered info about its service menu and settings for geometry and spend many hours getting it all setup much better. I used AVIA DVD test patterns like the crosshatch pattern to do the geometry for the 480i/480p modes and found I had to do it separately for each of the zoom/wide modes too. 1080i HDTV mode geometry had to be setup separately as well and that was difficult because of the lack of a good HDTV test pattern source. By sure luck one night the local CBS HDTV station broadcast a color bar test pattern for almost half an hour and I took advantage of that. But I haven't seen them do that again and there was no warning.
post #111 of 622 Old 09-06-2002, 04:11 AM
Advanced Member

I need to get in on this discussion, but can't now because of time. I think I am noticing a bending up in the bottom center of my 34xbr800, but I can't be sure yet. No time these days.

On red push, my memory is I had 10-15% when I ran Avia.

Cheers all--

Hoppy
post #112 of 622 Old 09-06-2002, 08:16 AM

Hey all, I just got my 34xbr800 and had it tweaked by an ISF tech. The picture looks great. However, I've noticed recently that I'm getting a discoloration in the upper left and lower right corners of the TV. I saw some other people on this thread were having the problem as well. It looks like magnetic interference, but I don't know what's causing it. My speakers are far away and they're shielded. What else could it be? Could the TV be defective? I'd hate to return it after having just getting it calibrated. How can I shield my TV if it is magnetic interference? Any advice would be much appreciated. Thanks!
post #113 of 622 Old 09-06-2002, 08:27 PM

The corner problem is a convergence problem. The correction requires static adjustments and opening of the set. The geometry issues are ones that I referred to before and are as per Sony built in errors acceptable. With 2.35 ratio movies the black bars are warped but the majority of the horizontal lines are straight about 80%. The vcen cannot be changed to the point where the lines straighten out. Ah well just zoom and watch anything but CNN!
post #114 of 622 Old 09-06-2002, 09:03 PM

Or just watch CNN and ESPN -- or other channels with tickers or scoreboard lines -- in FULL mode. I don't seem to notice this issue when watching in NORMAL or FULL. It seems to be distinct to WIDE ZOOM. I find I don't mind FULL when watching sports or news.
post #115 of 622 Old 09-07-2002, 03:24 PM

OK, maybe this is a little obvious, but just maybe it will help out someone else...

After the delivery guys left, I realized I didn't have my manual. Checked the box, and no manual. Called the store and then went and searched the box again. Pulled out the two pieces of Styrofoam stuck in the box top, and discovered the manual in a cavity in one of the pieces that was against the top of the box. If you are missing a manual, look there. Thank goodness I did not let the delivery guys haul it away!

By the way, I messed with the tilt correction, vertical correction, vertical size, and vertical center to get tickers at screen bottom to be readable in Wide Zoom mode. Anyone else think it is weird that these are not all on the screen menu?
post #116 of 622 Old 09-07-2002, 04:15 PM

FINALLY, a decent page on the 34xbr800! Crutchfield has a pretty good page on the 34xbr800. They actually have nice, large, pictures of the set as well as a complete list of features (maybe sony needs to do a little copy/paste from Crutch to the sony website!).
http://pix.crutchfield.com/products/...R800-F_YY.jpeg
post #117 of 622 Old 09-07-2002, 06:27 PM

HarleyMYK,

How did you get to adjust the tilt and vertical correction? I'd be interested in trying to adjust these as well, if it's not too difficult and complicated.
post #118 of 622 Old 09-07-2002, 08:46 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

The tilt and vertical adjustments are in the "Setup" part of the users menu and discussed on page 76 in the manual (the same menu area where you label the inputs). I used a tilt of -2 and a vertical of +1 to help center my picture (using AVIA). Why the 34xbr800 lacks a horizontal in the users menu when my Sony computer monitors have it remains a mystery to me. :D

Watched "Scream" on DVD twice last night (first the regular movie and then the movie with diretor & writer commentary). It's great film, it's in widescreen, and it looked great!!!

Rick
post #119 of 622 Old 09-07-2002, 10:41 PM

Hey all,
I've had my 34xbr800 for about a week and lately it's been picking up some major magnetic interferance. What's worse is that it happens off and on. Sometimes I turn on the TV and it's fine. Other times the color is all screwed up in the corners. I thought it was something in my wall, so I moved my TV in the middle of the room and the picture cleared up. I tried moving the TV to another wall and the closer it got, the worse the picture got. I don't know what to do. I can't believe something in my apartment would be causing that much of a magnetic interferance. Is it possible the set could be defective? I know the Sony TVs are a little sensitive to interferance, but this is ridiculous. I hope it's not the TV since I just got it calibrated. I'd really like to try anything else before returning it. I'd like for that to be a last resort. I saw some other people on this thread mentioned this same problem. One guy said there is a way to shield your TV. Anyone know how to do this. Please help! I'm getting so frustrated with this and would really like to get it fixed ASAP. Thanks!:confused:
post #120 of 622 Old 09-08-2002, 02:08 PM

Rick,

Thanks for posting that info on tilt and vertical adjustments. Interestingly, my tilt correction (just using my eyes, not AVIA) was the opposite of yours; a +2. I've left the vertical alone for now.

For me, the tilt issue was minor, but nagged at me a bit. Glad I was able to correct it. Thanks again.

David
Closed Thread Direct View (single tube) CRT Displays