Sony KV-34XBR800 FAQ - Page 7 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #181 of 622 Old 09-26-2002, 09:56 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Does JVC know what's causing the incompatibility with the Sony? Sounds weird that it would be fine with other sets , but not with the Sony. :confused:

You would think that all 480p's are created equal. :eek:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 622 Old 09-26-2002, 05:01 PM
Advanced Member

Rick,

Thanks very much for starrting this FAQ. Between it and others I've been able to narrow my HDTV choice to the KV-34XBR800. I'm still working on the installation (e.g., isntalled the HD cable box today and I'm having a new platform that is 24 inches deep made for my cabinet). I'll use the waiting time to shop around a bit, since the best price I've seen so far (locally in LAX area) is MSRP.

It's really good to have a resource such as AVS Forum when making these decisions, since the information is Real Time, unlike the mags and such.

I'm hoping that I will have only postive reviews to post after I get the set

Phil
post #183 of 622 Old 09-27-2002, 09:45 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ricbayer
OK, now it's the football weekend and I can check the colors on that and report back. I am going to watch Fresno State (CA) today and they wear red pants. Last time I watched them, the red push made the pants glow so maybe it will look better today.
Rick
So, Rick, how were the pants? I haven't been messing with my set, but I still have 500 photos (the entire service menu) if you need them--521 files in a Zip that's 27 MB, each picture 640x480, 55kb, very clear (used a tripod). All jpg files. I thought about trying to batch re-compress to cut the size but have not had time to experiment.

cheers--

Hoppy
"The guy was too dead to talk."
post #184 of 622 Old 09-28-2002, 06:20 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Hoppy

So, Rick, how were the pants? I haven't been messing with my set, but I still have 500 photos (the entire service menu) if you need them--521 files in a Zip that's 27 MB, each picture 640x480, 55kb, very clear (used a tripod). All jpg files. I thought about trying to batch re-compress to cut the size but have not had time to experiment.

cheers--
I'm always one to collect data, in case I will need it. Is there a place you can post the 27 Meg Zip for download (not a long download with broadband)? If not, are there other ways to get it?

Phil
post #185 of 622 Old 09-28-2002, 04:50 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Wow Hoppy, you really went to a lot of trouble. Don't forget to kick back and just enjoy your new TV sometime :D. Thanks for offering to share the photos but it is probably not worth the effort for me. In some ways the file would be very helpful but what the heck, you still have to navigate the service mode to make changes. My suggestion is if one follows certain tried and true recommendations (like decreasing red push and certain geometry changes like overscan), you really don't need a service manual but if you want to experiment on your own, you may want to drop the $75 for the service manual. The problem is not being unable to observe the screen - the problem is not knowing what the heck that stuff means. Pictures of the screen won't add much for me but thanks again. I read on another thread that AXIS and AXPL don't exist on the 34xbr800 if that helps anyone. And, none of that is as important as just being compulsive and writing everything down before any change so you can go back and return it to factory setting or tweak it better.

Well, I am a little bit smarter about the 34xbr800 than I was 8 weeks ago and now realize that football is just darn hard to always get right. Fresno State had red pants that did not glow this time but the picture changes with the camera and since there was a shadow down half the field (sun? in Oregon? :cool: ), the picture would be temporarily too bright in the sun and temporarily too dark in the shade. In addition, the wide angle picture of the entire field like at kickoffs looks grainy but the pictures of the line of scrimmage on a routine play look great. In summary, there is so much picture variability even in OAR that one better watch a dozen games on several different stations before drawing too many conclusions. Those broadcast technicians must really work hard to get a good source picture - they are wizards . . . most of the time. Some stations are better than others.

But, after my red push fix the skin tones are perfect on TV and DVD with my color and hue settings back up to almost midline. Tony Soprano does not look like a sunburned Scandinavian. Even Bill Moyers on PBS looks normal instead of pink. The red push fix is turning out VERY nicely but maybe I had a little more red push than some and the "sunburn look" got more annoying day by day. Basically the red push adjustment seems to allow for richer colors without distorting the skin tones or otherwise making the colors less accurate or unbalanced. From reading other threads, this red push is pretty common on many TVs. If anyone is finding they must decrease color or adjust hue to diminish red push, I highly recommend this easy fix.

Good to hear from you Hoppy. Thanks for your help and everyone else's help by making this 34xbr800 faq a very informative thread. Thanks for the kind words Phil. I hope everyone will please keep up the posts until we are all tweaked out. Happy viewing. :)

Rick
post #186 of 622 Old 09-29-2002, 12:38 AM
Advanced Member

Rick, Bill Moyers *is* pinkish in real life.

Ordered Sony HD200 receiver today from Crutchfield, so next week will be high-def week for me. THey say that this new receiver actually improves SD satellite picture quality as well. We will see.

I've notice the same thing about football--some are better than others, and the wideshots are usually cruddy in the stretch modes.

As for the pix, well, I thought they would be helpful to have since it eliminates the need to write stuff down.

Phil:

Haven't got the zip online at the moment, but am going to try to reduce the pix a little more and then put them up somewhere. Will advise.

Cheers--

Hoppy
post #187 of 622 Old 09-29-2002, 11:20 AM

I bought an xbr800 on Fri and will have it installed on Mon. I do not have an HD source (the sales guy advised me to wait until Jan when new HD tuners are out with DVI) and am concerned that I will have the set for a while without exercising the HD related functions and display. I have a 30 day window to return the set and if there is something wrong with HD section, I won't detect it until I am outside the 30 day window.

What's been the experience out there with HD and the xbr800. Any ideas rentals or obtaining temporary access to an HD tuner. Is this a valid concern?
post #188 of 622 Old 09-29-2002, 11:43 AM
Advanced Member

New HD receivers out this month. Sony HD200 and Zenith 520, plus another I can't recall. The Sony and Zenith are same unit, made by Zenith. Very highly regarded. See the HD HARDWARE section of this board.

Hoppy
post #189 of 622 Old 09-29-2002, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by salvador_dali
Max Rez is 847 lines.

Horizontal or vertical?

I thought I read that 1080i is 1920x540 and 720p is 1200x720, so shouldn't the DVI port be able to do at least whichever one of these is the native resolution of the set when hooked up to an HTPC, or am I way off base?

Thanks,
MC
post #190 of 622 Old 09-30-2002, 12:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 91
Quote:
Originally posted by hambone
What's been the experience out there with HD and the xbr800
Love it. Watched American Dreams tonight, and it looked spectacular in HD. So did Smallville, ER, and a half-dozen other shows and movies I watched this week. It's a great HD set.

I'm using the Hughes E86 as my tuner. Works for me. I'm very happy I made the upgrade to HD on the 34XBR800
post #191 of 622 Old 09-30-2002, 05:28 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally posted by vfxproducer

Love it. Watched American Dreams tonight, and it looked spectacular in HD. So did Smallville, ER, and a half-dozen other shows and movies I watched this week. It's a great HD set.

I'm using the Hughes E86 as my tuner. Works for me. I'm very happy I made the upgrade to HD on the 34XBR800
ER in HD??!?!?! Where are you pulling the HD signal from? I thought ER was only in SD and widescreen? :confused:
post #192 of 622 Old 09-30-2002, 09:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 91
Quote:
Originally posted by Calabs

ER in HD??!?!?! Where are you pulling the HD signal from? I thought ER was only in SD and widescreen? :confused:
Nope. It started in HD this season. It came as an unannounced surprise.

See this thread:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...hreadid=174045
post #193 of 622 Old 09-30-2002, 12:19 PM
Advanced Member

Yesterday i noticed a very thin horizontal black line across my 34xbr800. It is very thin and only noticeable from a foot away, and then only when it is displaying a very light colour. Even when I am looking for it, and have a white background I can't see it from 2 to 3 feet away. It is about one third of the way down, and is visible from the 3 inputs I have active. Has anyone else noticed anything like this on this TV? Is this something to be concerned about? If it is, should I do anything about it? Thanks
post #194 of 622 Old 09-30-2002, 12:46 PM
cje

I noticed the exact sam thing last night.
post #195 of 622 Old 09-30-2002, 12:54 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 15
from what i understand, modern direct-view CRTS of appreciable size all have a shadow mask made in 3 sections, so there
are two horizontal lines on every big CRT -
1/3 up from the bottom, and 1/3 down from the top.

if my understanding about this is correct, my apology to those of you will never be able to look at a CRT again without seeing those two horizontal lines. i'd prefer to be wrong and will do my best not to look for those lines on my 34xbr2 :|
post #196 of 622 Old 09-30-2002, 02:00 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally posted by tveli
from what i understand, modern direct-view CRTS of appreciable size all have a shadow mask made in 3 sections, so there
are two horizontal lines on every big CRT -
1/3 up from the bottom, and 1/3 down from the top.

if my understanding about this is correct, my apology to those of you will never be able to look at a CRT again without seeing those two horizontal lines. i'd prefer to be wrong and will do my best not to look for those lines on my 34xbr2 :|
Thanks for the post tveli. I too apologize to all the people who are going to go home tonight and see these lines. I guess the moral of the story is to never watch tv from 6 inches away, you may not like what you see!:)
post #197 of 622 Old 09-30-2002, 02:25 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

A couple of years ago in a faq somewhere, I read that Sony Trinitron tubes have the horizontal lines as described and the lines are "normal". I really don't know what shadow mask is or about other brands but I have a Dell version of a Sony Trinitron 21" (22"?) computer monitor. With a white background like Microsoft Outlook, there are two faint very thin black horizontal lines as described by tveli. On a dark background, I can't see them at all. Following the sage advice of beaudot and tveli, I don't think I will go in and see if I can find those same lines on my 34xbr800 :D. From my viewing distance of 7 to 8', the 34xbr800 looks OK to very good on cable TV and incredible for DVD.

Happy viewing. :)

Rick
post #198 of 622 Old 09-30-2002, 05:45 PM
Advanced Member

The horizontal lines are support wires. All Trinitron tubes have them because of their unique construction. Tubes with traditional shadow mask don't.

I remember the first time I noticed the wires, circa 1972, when I was a kid and we'd just got our first Sony set.

If you can see them...you're sitting too close and will ruin your eyes! (as my mom used to say) :)
post #199 of 622 Old 10-01-2002, 11:23 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 15
thanks Bob W for the clarification for the 3 lines and their inverse correlation with the presence of shadow mask :)
possibly all the computer CRTs i've seen the two horizontal
lines were OEMed sonys , or maybe the trinitron approach is used by other vendors now that any patents would have expired ? fwiw, one place i've seen the lines
is on sun workstation monitors - i'm staring at some right now :)
post #200 of 622 Old 10-10-2002, 01:06 PM
rdk

To change the subject slightly, has anyone figured out if there is a way to use the 34XBR800 remote to control the volume on an audio receiver? I am having so much fun playing with the DRC, picture mode settings, zoom modes, side-by-side PiP, etc. that it would be a shame to have to switch to a universal.

Also, on the red push front, can anyone explain why all these manufacturers would continue to make sets with red push (especially sets that have color temperature modes), if the red push is not somehow a necessary compromise to make other colors look decent? I fear that if I eliminate the red push it will have unanticipated effects.

-rdk
post #201 of 622 Old 10-10-2002, 02:03 PM

rdk,

I too wanted to use the 34XBR800 remote for my receiver (see middle of page 5 of the FAQ). I would have hoped someone could give us a solution! I ended up buying the Home Theater Master MX-500 Remote. The only good thing about this is the great lighting for use in the dark.

If anybody can come up with a way to program our original remotes for receivers, it would be great!!
post #202 of 622 Old 10-10-2002, 02:48 PM

I put a few images onto a memory stick and tried to view them in 34xbr800. There were 5 jpgs, on the on screen index it only showed one file name but 5 boxes. It seemed the set saw the images, but couldnt figure out what they were.

Any ideas? Does the manual mention anything about format requirements or sources? These images were made and saved as jpgs (pshop) onto the mem stick. Is this the problem?

Has anyone used the mem stick for images?
post #203 of 622 Old 10-10-2002, 02:58 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Phil

My stand is 21.5" deep. The TV is 4" back from the front of the stand and hangs over the back by about 5 to 6". The dimensions of the 34xbr800 TV are discussed on page 1 of this thread and the footprint on page 3 of this thread.

This is a 200+ pound TV that is very front heavy (which is why I move it back 4" and let it - including the "feet" - hang over the back). I would not want my 21.5" stand to be any less depth so I am reluctant to recommend a 17" depth stand to anyone. What do others think? Anyone have a 17" depth stand? Can anyone answer Phil's question?

Rick
I've had mine on an old solid oak stand (depth 16.5") for about 2 months now. My plan was to only use this temporarily, but it is very sturdy so far. I have it flush with the front, but lots of overhang at the back, I have the back close but not touching the wall, as it gives the illusion it may fall backwards, but when I try to jiggle it, it is very stable. A couple inches of the footprint are not on the shelf, but it doesn't seem to matter.
post #204 of 622 Old 10-10-2002, 03:05 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally posted by beaudot
I've had mine on an old solid oak stand (depth 16.5") for about 2 months now. My plan was to only use this temporarily, but it is very sturdy so far. I have it flush with the front, but lots of overhang at the back, I have the back close but not touching the wall, as it gives the illusion it may fall backwards, but when I try to jiggle it, it is very stable. A couple inches of the footprint are not on the shelf, but it doesn't seem to matter.
No problem. I've extended the shelf in my 17" deep oak cabinet to 24" depth. Since the stand is really sturdy, I will have no problem, since wt is mostly at the front.

Work was in getting the new shelf to match -- which I seem to have done.

Phil
post #205 of 622 Old 10-11-2002, 04:52 AM

is pro the only mode that disables the svm? i notice that the image seems to soften up in this mode the most. when i try to set all 4 modes exactly the same, there is clearly a difference among them. also, after calibrating with avia, my hd channels are too dull and not very bright. is there a difference between hd color and proscan color? should i keep pro mode for dvd and movie for hd? thanks in advance!

gear:

panny rp82
34xbr800
post #206 of 622 Old 10-11-2002, 02:40 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

rdk - on the red push. I read in avsforum threads this is common on consumer TVs (not just Sony). Most of us on avsforum would prefer our colors to be balanced and often calibrate to help. But, I think this red push is part of the "make the colors vivid so the TV stands out on show room floors and will sell more units" theory. My 34xbr800's red push seemed to annoy me more and more over a couple of months primarily because of inaccurate flesh tones that made me keep cutting down on the color setting and shifting hue. I went into the service mode with the goal of having the flesh tones be accurate with the color & hue setting as close to midline as possible. I describe this in one of posts in this thread and am very happy I did that. In fact, the TV looks so great now that I have not tweaked it for a couple of weeks (scary, huh? :D ).

saxmanwt - on the svm. I think that Pro is the only mode that "automatically" shuts off svm but you can shut it down manually from other modes. The other modes raise the "vivid level" (for lack of a better term) so I am not sure you can get them all to look alike. There are many valid opinions but I just leave my settings in Pro & Cinemotion calibrated by AVIA and my eyes so that DVDs look great. I don't find a problem leaving the settings alone for NTSC cable TV but do find that cutting way back on the DRC (I use 1,1) helps make the NTSC signal a little less grainy. It is fun to experiment too.

Others please comment. Good luck and happy viewing. :)

Rick
post #207 of 622 Old 10-14-2002, 03:01 AM
Advanced Member

Delivered yesterday and great "out of the box".

There was a large amount of discoloration in one corner, but that is going away -- and is almost totally gone: Degaussing, I guess.

Both HDTV broadcasts (TW in LAX) and DVDs are great.

And standard cable, stretched to fill the screen is enjoyable, too.

I must like it: 3 am and I'm still watching DVDs.

Thanks for this thread for helping my decision process.

Phil
post #208 of 622 Old 10-14-2002, 07:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Just hooked up an HDTV/DirecTV receiver to my Sony KV-34XBR800 and saw for the first time what this TV can really do.

Watching a travelogue On HD Net, the colors and resolution were as close to perfect as you can get -- almost clearer than real life on a sunny day. (This will save me a lot of money on travel and sightseeing). It also demonstrated that whatever complaints I'd noticed or read about in these forums were due entirely to the quality of the incoming satellite signal and programming. In getting this perfect PQ in HDTV, I've got all the user video settings notched right down the middle, including standard picture, medium SVM and the neutral temperature setting.

Once more content is available in High Def', this TV will deliver years of exceptional viewing.
post #209 of 622 Old 10-14-2002, 01:12 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I always use the pro mode and calibrate from there. I haven't tried calibrating from the movie mode but will that give two different memories in the TV? That might help if your DVD gives a darker picture than your cable TV or if room lighting changes? If you check it out, please report back.

I had listed my previous settings in the thread but started to notice sunburned blushing white folks so cut back the Color. After I had a chance to redo AVIA, I notice a 5 to 10% red push on the color bar at mid settings. My conclusion is that my xbr800 has a red shift of about 5 to 10%. AVIA and my eyeball (looking at white flesh tones on DVD) both suggested dropping the Color setting just a bit. Now I like it much better because flesh tones look accurate - at least for Western Oregon where we don't get much sun :D.

Currently, at 7 to 8' in a pretty dark room using AVIA and eyeball the "big five" video settings beyond Pro Mode are:

Picture 12/32 or 4/32 notches to the left of mid-line or over the "s" in the word "select" in the 64 notch menu or about 24/64,

Brightness in the middle or 16/32 or over the "l" in the word "select" in the 64 notch menu or 32/64

Color 14/32 or 2/32 notches to the left of mid-line or over the "e" in the word "select" in the 64 notch menu or about 27/64,

Hue in the middle, and

Sharpness at 11/32 or 5 notches to the left of mid-line or over the "s" in the 64 notch menu or about 22/64.

I leave cinemotion on and use 0.0 setting on the DRC palette which gives a slightly "softer" picture and hides much of the grainy part of a NTSC CATV signal. I am not convinced yet that going to 50,50 or 100,100 on DVD is that much better.
I guess you could call this my 24 hr report :)

Love the set. But I do have some quesions.

1. When you say calibrate above, do you mean the service menu or just the user controls you summarized above? I thought I saw a msg from someone (you?) saying they had done something in the service menu to solve the red push without having to back off on the total color setting. But I cannot find that msg!

2. Using the TV/VIDEO button to go from say Input 5 to Input 4 is a pain. Is there any shortcut (e.g., it would be nice to be able to skip inputs not connected -- and I'm using only three so far).

BTW -- using an RP-56 DVD player. Brightness is definitely less than SDTV channels, and not much different than HDTV cable channels. But I find no defects with the RP-56 and no change in brightness when switching it from interlaced to progressive as some have reported.

Geometry on my set looks good. I will get AVIA on Wed or so and then will have a better assessment. But maybe I should not look (I like it fine the way it is).

Phil
post #210 of 622 Old 10-14-2002, 01:40 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Phil Wheeler
I guess you could call this my 24 hr report :)

2. Using the TV/VIDEO button to go from say Input 5 to Input 4 is a pain. Is there any shortcut (e.g., it would be nice to be able to skip inputs not connected -- and I'm using only three so far).

Phil
Phil,
There is a way to bypass the unused video inputs. To to setup (I think it's setup) and look for video labeling. You can label each video input (DVD, DTV, VHS, etc). You can scoll through the labels until you hit skip. That will skip that video input and allow you to scroll through inputs you have connected only.
Closed Thread Direct View (single tube) CRT Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page