Sony KV-25XBR II - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 07-28-2014, 05:54 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Sony KV-25XBR II

Hi, I have a chance to buy a 25" XBR II Sony tv from the original owner. This is a 1986 set so it's pretty old.
Does anyone know if there's a difference between the original KV-25XBR and the later XBR II unit?
My main interest would be to use it to watch laserdiscs and vhs tapes and fullscreen dvds.
The fellow is selling it for $75. Includes the matching Sony pedestal stand, the original remote and detachable speakers. He claims everything works like new.
Any thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 07-28-2014, 03:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 35
$75 - why? Are you pulling our legs? Is there something special about this TV? Do you live somewhere that Craigslist is of no use to find much later model CRTs for free or cheap?

post #3 of 10 Old 07-28-2014, 03:13 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floydage View Post
$75 - why? Are you pulling our legs? Is there something special about this TV? Do you live somewhere that Craigslist is of no use to find much later model CRTs for free or cheap?

Hi, I'm in Canada where everything costs more. I was just curious about the set as I'm not aware of many 25" Sony tv sets having been released here. I already have a Sony KV-27S42 that I bought for $20 about 2 years ago so I don't really need the set anyway.
From your reaction I can see I'd be silly to buy it.
Thanks.
post #4 of 10 Old 07-28-2014, 03:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Sorry, spoiled here with the glut of CRTs. There's also been a few sarcastic posters on this CRT forum but they've all been newbies.

Was hoping you were gonna tell me it was a rare/antique-ish set, especially since it's an old Sony.

All but one of the TVs as well as computer monitors I have were free. All but two are CRTs, a small LCD computer monitor and a tiny portable TV. Around a dozen total. My baby is a Panny 34" widescreen HD set - to think it once MSRPed for nearly $5,000!

Well GL on a better deal!

post #5 of 10 Old 07-28-2014, 06:25 PM - Thread Starter

Well, the Sony KV-25XBR II has an RGB input and I've read that people with old game systems love the set because they get a better image when playing their games. Another cool aspect is the set has detachable speakers and I guess you could hook better quality speakers directly to the tv and avoid using an amplifier or receiver altogether. Not all tube tv sets had this feature.
Free tube sets are offered in my area too once in awhile, but these usually only have RF inputs. I did pick up a free former hotel tv that I'm actually using right now. It's a 25" Philips. Took some time to figure out how to get into the menu system and calibrate the picture somewhat.
This is the first time I've ever seen a 25" Sony XBR in my area and I watch the local online ads all the time.
post #6 of 10 Old 07-29-2014, 09:02 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 15
RGB is the highest quality of broadcast image, but it is functionally indistinguishable from YPbPr, which is very common on late model CRTs, even ones that are entirely non-progressive (i.e. 480i & 240p). Given that set is from 1986, it is likely to have been used much more than a set made in the year 2003, or so. Driving to work today I saw a KV-32FS100 on the sidewalk, looked like it was in great condition but I let it stay. I have no interest in acquiring more non-HD CRTs at this point, as I have a few already, but I would put a bet on that thing on the sidewalk having a better image than the one this guy is trying to shill for the better part of a Benjamin.

Personally, I'd not even consider a CRT that old unless it were for novelty's sake. Like an old console with wood paneling, etc. It's just way too likely to be dim or more worn than a newer tube. But if I were as hard up as you seem to think you are I would still not purchase that one if I couldn't test it out in person first. Can you not drive around town in a bad neighbourhood or anything? It's these kinds of places that I see old televisions the most. One particular street I drive through on my way to work frequently has folks dumping piles of the things. When they sit there long enough or get piled so high the kids come along and throw rocks at them to break the glass, but I've rescued at least three from that street. One of them even got rained on the day I picked it up and it still works like a champ.
post #7 of 10 Old 07-30-2014, 05:05 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiquidSnake View Post
RGB is the highest quality of broadcast image, but it is functionally indistinguishable from YPbPr, which is very common on late model CRTs, even ones that are entirely non-progressive (i.e. 480i & 240p). Given that set is from 1986, it is likely to have been used much more than a set made in the year 2003, or so. Driving to work today I saw a KV-32FS100 on the sidewalk, looked like it was in great condition but I let it stay. I have no interest in acquiring more non-HD CRTs at this point, as I have a few already, but I would put a bet on that thing on the sidewalk having a better image than the one this guy is trying to shill for the better part of a Benjamin.

Personally, I'd not even consider a CRT that old unless it were for novelty's sake. Like an old console with wood paneling, etc. It's just way too likely to be dim or more worn than a newer tube. But if I were as hard up as you seem to think you are I would still not purchase that one if I couldn't test it out in person first. Can you not drive around town in a bad neighbourhood or anything? It's these kinds of places that I see old televisions the most. One particular street I drive through on my way to work frequently has folks dumping piles of the things. When they sit there long enough or get piled so high the kids come along and throw rocks at them to break the glass, but I've rescued at least three from that street. One of them
even got rained on the day I picked it up and it still works like a champ.
I was interested in the set as more of a novelty than something I had to have. The Sony KV27S42 I have has an s-video input and a very good picture. I'm not going to bother with that 1986 XBR. Just for fun, I checked the listing in kijiji (our version of craigslist) and the seller has dropped his asking price to $60. Likely he'll never sell the tv.
post #8 of 10 Old 08-07-2014, 09:04 AM

Liked: 0
Yep,have no interest in acquiring more non-HD CRTs at this point, as I have a few already, but I would put a bet on that thing on the sidewalk having a better image than the one this guy is trying to shill for the better part [IMG]http://*******/pQ9tzh[/IMG]of a Benjamin.
post #9 of 10 Old 08-07-2014, 12:48 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Well I like where this is going.
post #10 of 10 Old 08-10-2014, 06:53 PM

Liked: 10
Sony's professional line of TV monitors (the PVM series) are going to be better than this set in all but audio (mono speaker vs stereo speakers). And most models have RGB input also.

I'd seek one of those out instead. The picture, even from a used set, is much higher quality.
Reply Direct View (single tube) CRT Displays
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page