1Likes
  • 1 Post By LiquidSnake

post #1 of 10 Old 08-08-2014, 03:57 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Sony WEGA Trinitron dark across top of screen

With the TV off, the top half inch of the screen is dark. With the TV on, the image displays through the dark area but is slightly less bright of course. It's more noticeable as the image darkens. Also have some discoloration on top left corner, but mostly it's the darkness across the top of the screen that is degrading the image quality right now. I haven't been able to find any examples of this problem online so I'm hoping someone has an idea. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 08-08-2014, 04:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked: 40
full model number of the Tv?
work done or parts replaced? what? when?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 10 Old 08-10-2014, 04:22 PM - Thread Starter

KV-27FS100L

No repairs done and I've never opened it. I haven't moved it in about a year. I've messed with the service menu but none of the settings I changed have any affect on the dark line. I placed new tower speakers directly next to the TV last month. I don't think that's related but I could be wrong.
post #4 of 10 Old 08-10-2014, 04:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Oh yikes. CRT 27"... Post pictures showing the problem. Not dark cell phone pictures. High quality, multiple, showing good content that accentuates the problem. Not close ups of just the top of the screen, the entire screen... Maybe we can suggest something

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 10 Old 08-11-2014, 04:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Move the speakers away from the TV and let the TV power-on degauss several cycles (wait about 15 minutes between cycles for the circuit to cool off). When I first read it had the problem with the TV off I was baffled until you followed up about the speakers, which I suspect could cause a passive problem too.

post #6 of 10 Old 08-13-2014, 12:06 PM - Thread Starter

I'll post photos and move the speakers tonight. Thanks
post #7 of 10 Old 08-13-2014, 06:14 PM - Thread Starter

In preparation to take some photos I turned off my ceiling light...and the dark line went off too. Looks like it's just a shadow
Since I had the camera out I took some pictures of the discoloration in the top left corner. You can see the pink tone but it doesn't come through well on the camera and is more pronounced in person. But here they are anyway if anyone has any advice..

post #8 of 10 Old 08-13-2014, 06:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Usually caused by magnetic fields like from speakers too close or moving the Tv to another area in the room (earth magnetic). As stated before- move speakers at least 3-4 feet from the Tv. Power the Tv on/off several times for a few days. The degaussing circuit should clear the problem.

post #9 of 10 Old 08-14-2014, 09:30 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 15
This is a very (VERY) slight magnetization. Degaussing should fix it. The best and safest way to degauss is to power it on and off. Each time you do this, the tube is degaussed. Don't just try to do it 50 times in 2 minutes or anything crazy, but repeated power cycles will usually resolve a magnetized CRT like this. If it does not, try unplugging it for a while, pull the plug and leave it that way overnight. Plug it back in then turn it on tomorrow and see if it looks any different. The last stop before going nuclear to try and fix it, is to move the TV, put it somewhere else in the room or facing another direction, power down & unplug between your moves for good measure.

If none of the above works, you can degauss the tube manually with a degaussing coil (these are hard to find now) or alternatively, and something you can find easily on ebay, something called a "bulk tape eraser." The use of something like this will absolutely solve your colour problem, but you want to try every other method first because if done incorrectly, you can screw up the colour even more.
, it's pretty simple, but can be pretty scary the first time you try it. Your case is very slight so try the other methods first and see what happens.
homerging likes this.
post #10 of 10 Old 08-14-2014, 10:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Oh yeah also try plugging the TV directly into an outlet when performing the internal/auto degauss. Some folks claim a surge protector limits the required surge current to degauss properly.

Reply Direct View (single tube) CRT Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page