Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 08-18-2014, 08:04 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Question Missing Remote for Older TV

Hello all. First-time poster here.

I still have a TV with a fat back. Unfortunately it's so old that I have misplaced the remote. I pretty much will be purely for playing DVDs in a spare bedroom. So I need to change the input for the DVD player.

If it helps, it's an Emerson TV & a Sony Progressive Scan DVD Player (with remote).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 08-19-2014, 12:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Universal remote. Dig around for one with an Input function button; Video button may work too.

Could try if the input selection function is within the Emerson's menu if it has a Menu button (same for a U-remote Menu button).

post #3 of 5 Old 08-19-2014, 01:23 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Awesome. Thanks so much!

Out of curiosity, would a cheaper remote work? It's for the kids' room. And I don't see a need for anything extreme.

Thanks again!
post #4 of 5 Old 08-19-2014, 02:42 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 235 Post(s)
Liked: 315
If you only need to change the TV to a specific input mode, that can normally be accomplished by the buttons on the front panel. Set it and forget it. No need to go to any expense for kiddies and an Emerson TV.
post #5 of 5 Old 08-20-2014, 10:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkariff View Post
Awesome. Thanks so much!

Out of curiosity, would a cheaper remote work? It's for the kids' room. And I don't see a need for anything extreme.

Thanks again!
Yes, anything that gives you the function required.

But first back to Ratman's reply. Assuming you don't actually need a remote for this TV then just try the front panel buttons. Many TVs use the TV/Video button. Some economy models toggle through the inputs via the channel buttons (before the start of the numbers and after the end of the numbers). Some can be accessed via the Menu function. Unfortunately some are dedicated to the remote. Then there's some oldies like my '93 GE that use numbers like 00 and 01 for the AUX inputs, in this TV's case I have to use the remote because there's no keypad on the TV (00 and 01 aren't programmed during channel scan such that I could use the CH ^v keys). If none of the front panel stuff works and your TV is as old as my GE, I suggest reading the manual to see if there's any trickery like my GE (if you don't have the manual try a web search using the model number and the word "manual").

Reply Direct View (single tube) CRT Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page