Xbone and PS4 are both HDMI only! - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 13 Old 09-11-2014, 10:50 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Xbone and PS4 are both HDMI only!

My lovely displaying 34inch XBR 910 ( 1440x1080i ) has component or DVI, no HDMI. I am researching for the "best" way to convert the HDMI PS4 to either my component or DVI inputs on the TV. I found a cable called HD Fury on the net that seems like a good cable that would get the job done, but it is not cheap. here is the cable I was considering http://www.hdfury.com/shop/gamer/hdf...r-2-component/

But maybe it would serve just as well to get a simple HDMI to DVI cable and run a separate cable to handle audio duties. Anyone with experience hooking up the new PS4 to a HDCRT TV that does not have a HDMI port ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 09-11-2014, 11:36 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 210 Post(s)
Liked: 299
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky Ducky View Post
But maybe it would serve just as well to get a simple HDMI to DVI cable and run a separate cable to handle audio duties.
Best option.
post #3 of 13 Old 09-11-2014, 12:14 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratman View Post
Best option.
Yea it would save big bucks too! I am assuming the PS4 has the audio out and the 910 has the audio in. Hey, in honor of our CRT displays I am linking a article declaring 4k displays to be a sham haha http://www.cnet.com/news/why-ultra-h...-still-stupid/

In case you aren't interested in reading his whole rant I will quote the part of the article I liked the most because he touches on the reasons I continue to prefer the SFP CRT 910 over a modern LCD and wouldn't consider swapping the 910 for a new 4k display to be a total slam dunk upgrade. It would be a trade off at best.
------------------------------------------------------------------------

9. There are bigger issues
My biggest complaint about Ultra HD is what it doesn't address. Resolution is not the most important aspect of picture quality. Nor, as we've discussed, is it even a problem with current picture quality. How about improving contrast ratio, color, and compression artifacts ? These all have a significantly greater effect on picture quality than resolution.

I'll add another problem to the list of things 4K doesn't address: motion resolution. All LCDs suffer from motion resolution problems, in many cases, losing upward of 40 percent of their visible resolution when anything on the screen moves. All announced (and most of the previewed) Ultra HD displays are still just LCDs, with all of that technology's shortcomings . These so-called "next-generation" televisions will still have poor off-axis picture quality and mediocre contrast ratios. They'll likely have poor picture uniformity, too, as many models are edge-lit. True, they all have higher refresh rates, but without motion interpolation, higher refresh rates do little to fix motion blur. If the drop in resolution with current LCDs is any indication (and No. 5 shows it is), these "2160p" TVs will resolve something like 1,296 lines with motion.

Perhaps this is why nearly every demo at CES of 4K and 8K TVs showed slow pans and still images. Check out "What is refresh rate?" for more on motion resolution.
post #4 of 13 Old 09-11-2014, 01:54 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Other than the 1st sentence in your response, everything else is irrelevant to the topic of this thread in this forum.
post #5 of 13 Old 09-11-2014, 02:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 405 Post(s)
Liked: 376
http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_i...seq=1&format=2

$2.81 is a lot better than $159, and the end result is the same. Realize also that you can get an entirely new TV for a little more than $159 that's full 1080p and doesn't weigh 200 lbs.

I have several of these that have gotten retired as I've upgraded my equipment over the years. They work fine. Just make sure the pin config matches your TV. There are lots of different variations on DVI.
post #6 of 13 Old 09-11-2014, 02:20 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratman View Post
Other than the 1st sentence in your response, everything else is irrelevant to the topic of this thread in this forum.
Maybe, but he was bringing up all the reasons I personally am choosing to hang on to my direct view CRT rather than upgrade to a modern LCD. Motion resolution, contrast, color. To what is he comparing all these short comings of LCD tech if not to CRT? True this part of the thread is off topic in the strict sense, but relevant in the broader sense that all these faults he finds in the latest LCD tech were handled better by CRT! That is the reason I shared the link. I did think about starting a new topic, and probably should have, but I choose to include it in this existing thread instead.
post #7 of 13 Old 09-11-2014, 02:28 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Refer to post #2 for the opening post's question.

Other than that... off topic for this forum.

You are correct about opening a new thread in the proper forum as it relates to 4K and nothing to do in regard to cables.
post #8 of 13 Old 09-11-2014, 02:30 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej View Post
http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_i...seq=1&format=2

$2.81 is a lot better than $159, and the end result is the same. Realize also that you can get an entirely new TV for a little more than $159 that's full 1080p and doesn't weigh 200 lbs.

I have several of these that have gotten retired as I've upgraded my equipment over the years. They work fine. Just make sure the pin config matches your TV. There are lots of different variations on DVI.
I have seriously considered swapping the XBR for a nice plasma or LCD. But I just like the CRT picture so much! Maybe I am just crazy, or need to see a great LCD TV in action to set me straight lol
post #9 of 13 Old 09-11-2014, 02:40 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked: 35
If you enjoy watching movies and gaming on a little 34" screen, then there is no reason for you to get anything else than an HDMI to DVI cable. I still have a few of them myself that I used for my first projector, and they worked great! As for audio, you may be out of luck because your TV uses the antiquated RCA jacks for audio instead of the more modern digital toslink optical audio jack. You will need to either run the audio through an AVR or purchase an adapter that converts digital optical to analog RCA.

Epson Home Cinema 3010 Projector____Paradigm 9SE MK II Main LR
Yamaha RX-V667 AVR_______________Paradigm CC-270 V.3 Center
Emotiva UPA-5 Amplifier______________Dual Stereo Integrity 18" Infinite Baffle
Sony BDP-570 Blu Ray_______________DIY Sound Group Volt 10
post #10 of 13 Old 09-11-2014, 08:04 PM

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 19
HDMI is DVI with audio and HDCP. Your DVI should have HDCP so if you have the audio sorted it's no different from using a third party converter.
post #11 of 13 Old 09-11-2014, 08:17 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Still can't decide which one to get.
post #12 of 13 Old 09-12-2014, 10:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Like everyone is saying - use an HDMI to DVI cable. I would think a PS4, like most A/V devices, would have RCA audio output jacks.

post #13 of 13 Old 09-12-2014, 10:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Nope, apparently not. Maybe can use that AUX port:

http://www.extremetech.com/gaming/15...-analog-output

Then there's the headphone connector:

https://support.us.playstation.com/a...e-audio-output

Reply Direct View (single tube) CRT Displays

User Tag List