Sony KV-35BRX48 losing Greens - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 09-15-2014, 08:54 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Question Sony KV-35BRX48 losing Greens

I have an old Sony KV-35XBR48 CRT which I use in my basement mainly for my kids video games. For many years prior to HD, it was my main TV. Got it in '98, and the picture was stunning for SD. It seems the Greens are fading, as when I had a football game on yesterday, the field looked brownish rather than Green. Rest of the picture was sharp and other colors on uniforms etc. looked good. I have a copy of the Service manual with codes, but before I go monkeying around, I was hoping someone could specifically tell me which code or other adjustment could be made.. I'm thinking "Green Drive" but would like to hear from some experts before I have a 200 lb. paper weight.

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 09-19-2014, 11:27 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Question

<crickets> Anyone have some advice?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lean Mfg. View Post
I have an old Sony KV-35XBR48 CRT which I use in my basement mainly for my kids video games. For many years prior to HD, it was my main TV. Got it in '98, and the picture was stunning for SD. It seems the Greens are fading, as when I had a football game on yesterday, the field looked brownish rather than Green. Rest of the picture was sharp and other colors on uniforms etc. looked good. I have a copy of the Service manual with codes, but before I go monkeying around, I was hoping someone could specifically tell me which code or other adjustment could be made.. I'm thinking "Green Drive" but would like to hear from some experts before I have a 200 lb. paper weight.

Thanks.
post #3 of 4 Old 09-20-2014, 11:21 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Liked: 70
I suggest using the AVS search, maybe something out there on your model or a very similar model. The CRT audience has pretty much evaporated but plenty of historical info is here.

I think CRTs typically lose their reds, at least vs. phosphors. I'm trying to jog my memory but the grass thing sounds familiar; my ol' '93 RCA got weak in the reds. The best I have it adjusted now is an 'orange-ish' red on anything that is supposed to be pure red. I got a feel for what was off by first playing around in the user menu (color intensity, tint, color temp, etc.). Some sources (disk players, video games, etc.) have more flexible color settings to play with. Oh, see what color the white is on a black&white program (might see some tint in the black too).

OT AVS rant: How many auto-playing video ads do they need running at one time?! No wonder this site is so slow.

post #4 of 4 Old 09-20-2014, 12:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lean Mfg. View Post
I'm thinking "Green Drive"
Tubes do wear out. The cathode material (the "C" in CRT) is what determines the overall life of a tube (short of physical damage or phosphor wear in display tubes). The cathode is the source of the electrons for the beam that lights up the phosphor. There are 3 electron "guns" in a color TV picture tube, one for each color.

Also consider the possibility of worn-out phosphor, aka screen burn-in.

BTW Green tends to wear out the fastest, as that color contributes to brightness the most. Red is next then blue.

Regards

Last edited by blue_z; 09-22-2014 at 12:20 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Direct View (single tube) CRT Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page