CRT suddenly making weird noises and image is all red? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 Old 11-20-2014, 05:43 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
128k's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 22
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 5
CRT suddenly making weird noises and image is all red?

I've been using this CRT monitor for a little bit but suddenly a few minutes ago, this weird sound happens and the picture gets all messed up. I've tried unplugging and replugging it and when I turn it on, weird noises come and a distorted red image appears on the screen.

Can the CRT possibly overheat or do damage to me because of this? I'm kind of scared of turning it back on, I attempted twice and the same thing happened. Can De-gaussing fix this? Should I just let it cool down? What's happening here?

Is this the end of the monitor's lifespan and will it no longer going to work for me or something?

Like I mentioned before, I'm kind of scared to turn it back on. Can anything bad possibly happen if I try again? I've heard of CRTs having super-high voltage
128k is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 8 Old 11-21-2014, 11:05 AM
AVS Special Member
 
barrelbelly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 1,800
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked: 243
My suggestion...If you love CRT monitors...Go on EBay and shop some legendary excellent models on sale there for peanuts. Those exceptional/superior orphans are only there because most owners wanted the space saving benefits of flat panels. That will trump any effort on your part to repair a faulty one IMO.
barrelbelly is offline  
post #3 of 8 Old 11-21-2014, 11:30 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Floydage's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Fort Worth, TX
Posts: 1,547
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Possibly a transformer or toroid gone awry.

Also lots of freebies on the Craigslist free section. Of course the best ones probably will be in the for sale sections or eBay (unfortunately eBay will most likely mean ridiculous shipping costs). I did snag a couple of pro CAD monitors for free of CL within a mile of me. There's also thrift stores, Goodwill, garage sales, pawn shops, etc.

Recycle responsibly.

Floydage is offline  
post #4 of 8 Old 11-21-2014, 04:51 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
128k's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 22
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floydage View Post
Possibly a transformer or toroid gone awry.

Also lots of freebies on the Craigslist free section. Of course the best ones probably will be in the for sale sections or eBay (unfortunately eBay will most likely mean ridiculous shipping costs). I did snag a couple of pro CAD monitors for free of CL within a mile of me. There's also thrift stores, Goodwill, garage sales, pawn shops, etc.

Recycle responsibly.
Quote:
Originally Posted by barrelbelly View Post
My suggestion...If you love CRT monitors...Go on EBay and shop some legendary excellent models on sale there for peanuts. Those exceptional/superior orphans are only there because most owners wanted the space saving benefits of flat panels. That will trump any effort on your part to repair a faulty one IMO.

Now the CRT started making this weird burning smell, I guess it's near dead now.

Anyways thanks, I'll look into some CRT monitors to buy, I've heard trinitrons are pretty good.
barrelbelly likes this.
128k is offline  
post #5 of 8 Old 11-21-2014, 05:10 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Floydage's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Fort Worth, TX
Posts: 1,547
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by 128k View Post
Anyways thanks, I'll look into some CRT monitors to buy, I've heard trinitrons are pretty good.
Yes and they're often the guts of other brands like my Dell UltraScan P1110 Pro CAD monitor. Same with an HP Pro CAD I had temporarily that looked to have come from a Motorola R&D facility. Them puppies were expensive in their day.
barrelbelly likes this.

Floydage is offline  
post #6 of 8 Old 11-21-2014, 06:18 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
128k's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 22
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floydage View Post
Yes and they're often the guts of other brands like my Dell UltraScan P1110 Pro CAD monitor. Same with an HP Pro CAD I had temporarily that looked to have come from a Motorola R&D facility. Them puppies were expensive in their day.
I've came across a 21 inch "diamondtron" (which I believe is a re-branded version of Trinitron) LaCie Electron Blue for $20, do you think I should settle on that? It's the cheapest deal I found on a large screen trinitron monitor.
128k is offline  
post #7 of 8 Old 11-22-2014, 07:15 AM
Senior Member
 
LiquidSnake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Miami, Florida
Posts: 323
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Jump on it. I have that monitor and it's superb, assuming that one hasn't been abused I'd expect it to be great as well.
LiquidSnake is offline  
post #8 of 8 Old 11-22-2014, 10:46 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Floydage's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Fort Worth, TX
Posts: 1,547
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by 128k View Post
I've came across a 21 inch "diamondtron" (which I believe is a re-branded version of Trinitron) LaCie Electron Blue for $20, do you think I should settle on that? It's the cheapest deal I found on a large screen trinitron monitor.
See 'Snake's reply above (I just quoted so you'd get an email). I'd take his advice as he knows this stuff better than I.

There's a thread on this genre somewhere, I think specifically oriented towards gamers who love CRT monitors. Mitsubishi and other brands too. Seems like Mitsubishi had some kind of Diamond line.

Floydage is offline  
Reply Direct View (single tube) CRT Displays
Gear in this thread - P1110 by PriceGrabber.com



Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off