What is the name of this CRT stand? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 15 Old 01-01-2015, 06:17 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Question What is the name of this CRT stand?

I like it's utilitarian design and I have a XBR970, which clearly fits nicely on it.

If no one knows, any good similar stands or suggestions? Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DCFC0136.JPG
Views:	54
Size:	49.9 KB
ID:	454426  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 01-02-2015, 11:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 44
George. Sorry, I couldn't help myself. I've never seen one like that, notice the audio stand is similar though. Based on that I would do a web 'image' search for matching TV and audio stand sets until I found the right pic, then see what info it provides. I suspect not much response here on what is quickly becoming a ghost town sub-forum.

There were Sony OEM stands that exactly match your TV. They follow the exact contour of the bottom and base of your TV including the rear shape, with matching plastic/colors too. And of course designed for the high weight capacity (be very careful that those substitutes can handle 200 lbs.). I've seen pics in the 970 (and 960) threads. There's a classified section in AVS too.

post #3 of 15 Old 01-02-2015, 12:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked: 243
The Sony stand Floydage mentions is: Sony SU36XBR45 36" WEGA TV Stand Great for flat or regular TV (Was $269.99). It was made for that TV. And fits it perfectly. A guy on EBay in Florida has 5 of them. And sell them for $109, or your best offer. I made an offer today for my XBR 970. So hopefully he accepts it this time around. I tried to snag one in October for $90 and he countered for $99...and I didn't match it. So I'll see what happens this time around. If you bid below $90 it will be rejected outright. If you copy the full name I highlighted above and paste it in EBay...it should take you directly to his stands. Good Luck.
post #4 of 15 Old 01-02-2015, 05:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Close but that was made for a 36" Sony 4:3 TV so it won't line up on the edges like I mentioned. Weight capacity shouldn't be an issue though, but it will probably hang over the sides (16:9 widescreen model). I suspect the proper stand model number is somewhat similar but contains the number 34.

I searched on that 36 number and found this eBay ad, NJ though:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Sony-SU36XBR...-/281226200332

Significant shipping cost too.

post #5 of 15 Old 01-02-2015, 06:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floydage View Post
Close but that was made for a 36" Sony 4:3 TV so it won't line up on the edges like I mentioned. Weight capacity shouldn't be an issue though, but it will probably hang over the sides (16:9 widescreen model). I suspect the proper stand model number is somewhat similar but contains the number 34.

I searched on that 36 number and found this eBay ad, NJ though:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Sony-SU36XBR...-/281226200332

Significant shipping cost too.

That was the EBay seller I bought mine from today. I mistakenly said Florida. I downloaded the spec sheets from the Sony website before I bought it. They matched up very close. With the stand for the 36 incher being slightly heftier and capable of greater load capacity. For the SU36XBR45 they are:

• Width-40:11/16" (Front) to 32:3/4" (Rear)
  • Height-18:5/16"
  • Depth-23:3/4"
  • Weight-75 lbs.
  • Weight baring-242 lbs. 9oz (top) 55 lbs. 2 oz (component shelf)

For the SU34XBR-Specifically made for the product that you mentioned above...Measurements are:
  • Width-39:1/8" (Front) to 30:7/32" (Rear)
  • Height-18:1/8"
  • Depth-21:27/32"
  • Weight-51 lbs.
  • Weight baring-199 lbs. (top) 55 lbs. 2 oz (component shelf)

And the KD-34XBR970 itself specs as follows:
  • Width-39:1/8" (Front) to 30:7/32" (Rear)
  • Height-25:3/4"
  • Depth-23:3/4"
  • Weight-190 lbs.
I hope this helps. I can't wait to get mine delivered. I don't mind if they don't match up precisely. But the specs indicate they should. With maybe a 1 inch over or under on front-back width.
Floydage likes this.

Last edited by barrelbelly; 01-02-2015 at 06:42 PM.
post #6 of 15 Old 01-03-2015, 11:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Yep. I was a little surprised that your stand is wider. That's good as I think it would look and fit better than if narrower (note the front columns stick up above the stand surface). A little extra depth and bonus weight capacity too if you want to stick a little TV on top for coon-ass picture&picture. lol. I wonder what the 45 suffix stands for? Now I see why nothing came up when I substituted 34 for the 36.

I had to do a similar thing for my Panasonic 34" widescreen TV. Friend gave me a Hitachi stand and the label stated it was good up to a 36" TV (4:3 I presume since I never heard of a 36" 16:9), so I knew I was good.

Enjoy! You might eventually shoot a pic for FG201 to show him how well it works.
barrelbelly likes this.

post #7 of 15 Old 01-06-2015, 01:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Got my Stand today. Wow! That was a lightning fast transaction. Once final price was negotiated ($90 + $38 shipping) It was out the door and Fed Exed to my door in 4 days. The stand is brand new and in it's original box. It's definitely heavy. Just like the big KD-34XBR970 bruiser that will be squatting on it. Definitely 75lbs plus with the packaging. If anyone is interested, the seller only has 4 left. The EBay link is above. And I can personally vouch for the seller's integrity on my order.
Floydage likes this.
post #8 of 15 Old 01-09-2015, 01:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Enjoy! You might eventually shoot a pic for FG201 to show him how well it works.
I normally would. But this guy didn't even extend the courtesy to tell either you or me a simple thank you for the free advice and research we did for him. With that said and out of the way...I really love this stand!

I am moving to a new and bigger apartment on the top floor of the Apt Building I live in. And I am in a bit of a pickle. I dumped a big bulky Hitachi 65F59 RPHDCRT and stayed with the Sony XBR 970 when I downsized and moved last August. I really miss that big screen though. So here is my dilemma. I love my XBR970. But I can pick up a used and excellent condition Mitsubishi Diamond series WD-65831 DLP for free from a person who is also downsizing. I am really tempted to do this. But I had originally planned to buy a new BenQ W1080st or W1070 1080p DLP projector at closeout prices, sometime later this year. And use it to just project my HD-DVD, Blu-Ray and DVD movies on the white wall or inexpensive screen in the apt. And put them away when not in use. While using my XBR 970 as the HDTV workhorse. The Mitsu 65831 could serve both purposes. And the inner part of its base is 38.6" W by 19.8" D. So it would be a perfect fit on that stand too. Decisions...decisions. Guess which way I'm leaning. And what say you?
post #9 of 15 Old 01-09-2015, 05:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Yeah where'd he go? I did see him post and thank repliers around the same time on other AVS CRT threads. I guess we didn't give him the answers he wanted to read.

I don't know those other genres but I do see a lot of the old DLPs and the like given away with burnt out candles. Or pics out of whack. Makes me glad I never bought one back in their heyday. You might ask about the Mit on the DLP forum.

post #10 of 15 Old 01-09-2015, 08:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Yeah where'd he go? I did see him post and thank repliers around the same time on other AVS CRT threads. I guess we didn't give him the answers he wanted to read.

I don't know those other genres but I do see a lot of the old DLPs and the like given away with burnt out candles. Or pics out of whack. Makes me glad I never bought one back in their heyday. You might ask about the Mit on the DLP forum.
I did indeed post a similar comment in the DLP section. And I do agree with you. Sometimes free isn't really free. With DLP you can end up buying a lot of new parts to get it back to spec. When it would have been just as costly to buy the BenQ DLP projector. So I think I will stay with my original plan. I actually enjoy and prefer my Sony KD 34XBR970, with stand, anyway for normal TV viewing. I like the giant screen for movies and games. So the put away when not used, projector approach is the course I'll stay on.
post #11 of 15 Old 01-10-2015, 09:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Hmmm, somehow I missed that the Mit. is free. If excellent condition means it currently has a great pic then I'd be tempted to ride that horse 'til it dies, then give it away or send off to recycling. I don't know how much these things weigh though - you know whether it's worth the hassle for ya coming and going. I have seen a few ads for free 'bulbs' (so probably cheap ones out there too), I suspect from those who bought a spare but gave up on it and forgot they had one when they unloaded the TV. If it's just the 'bulb' when it goes out and you have 'the knack' then you can tackle it yourself.

Isn't now or very soon the time to buy the closeouts with the new models being released?

post #12 of 15 Old 01-10-2015, 01:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Hmmm, somehow I missed that the Mit. is free. If excellent condition means it currently has a great pic then I'd be tempted to ride that horse 'til it dies, then give it away or send off to recycling. I don't know how much these things weigh though - you know whether it's worth the hassle for ya coming and going. I have seen a few ads for free 'bulbs' (so probably cheap ones out there too), I suspect from those who bought a spare but gave up on it and forgot they had one when they unloaded the TV. If it's just the 'bulb' when it goes out and you have 'the knack' then you can tackle it yourself.

Isn't now or very soon the time to buy the closeouts with the new models being released?

Yeah...that's the part that has me wavering back and forth too. It is an older empty nester couple just like me. And if I don't declare my intents next week...I could lose out on it. I'm still tempted to give it a stop. And move the XBR 970 to my office/computer/game room (& second bedroom). I currently have a cheapo 24" Westinghouse LED/LCD in there. And didn't really want something as big as the Sony in there. But Free on this makes it very enticing. Especially since I can get an authentic Mitsu bulb for the exact model on EBay right now for $48-$70! Can also get other Closeout/dirt cheap Mitsu parts for it on EBay like the dm, power and other boards/circuits. It only has HDMI 1.1 with no 3D or the "Smart" features. But Those are unimportant to me anyway. I like all of the enhanced Cinema & calibration features in the Diamond series (which this is).

On the second point. That's true. But they will linger around and only get cheaper by the day in 2015. SO I can be ultra patient. Especially since I have my workhorse XBR970 to lean on. This is a tougher decision than I anticipated. The "Free" part is a very big deal. Heck...even if it was $100-$200, it would still be tempting. But so too is the projector. With newer tech and bigger image for movies, games and slideshows. Then tuck away under a bed (screen). And put away on a shelf (projector). With nothing left dominating the room but the Sony 970 on that great stand. I'm probably still leaning strongly that way. But I'll know for certain by Friday. That's my crap or get off the pot date.
post #13 of 15 Old 01-11-2015, 09:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Well given that the timeline seems to fall into place as Mit. use it 'til it dies then have the 970 to fall back on, and this buys time for a better projector deal. And there's a transition of stepping up pic size. A guy over on the 960 board was gonna hang onto his 960 after getting a fancy 65" Panny plasma, but now that he's gotten so used to the big pic he's unloading the 960.

post #14 of 15 Old 01-12-2015, 12:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Well given that the timeline seems to fall into place as Mit. use it 'til it dies then have the 970 to fall back on, and this buys time for a better projector deal. And there's a transition of stepping up pic size. A guy over on the 960 board was gonna hang onto his 960 after getting a fancy 65" Panny plasma, but now that he's gotten so used to the big pic he's unloading the 960.

I'm considering that one as the option. I have until Thursday evening to commit on the 831. The free part of it makes me almost want to just take it. And see what happens. But I fear as soon as I do it...I'll see an unbeatable deal on the projector I want. And will be burdened with dumping it. With the new standard for 4k Blu Ray being announced at CES 2015...we are now going to see a flood of new 4k projectors hit the market this year and next IMO. That will crush the prices on the outdated models like the BenQ W1080st & W1070. They will be priced like current 720p models at around $399-$599. And I can pounce! My other concern is that I will have to replace a bulb or DMD. And that money would be best spent on the projector. Since I am so satisfied with the Sony 970...and plan to continue using it everyday, even when I get the projector. I'm leaning hard toward passing on the freebie and waiting.
post #15 of 15 Old 01-12-2015, 01:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Yeah I heard the show was a big part of the clearance opps.
I recall you stated excellent condition on the Mit. so I'm assuming the pic is still great. See if you can guesstimate how many hours they have on it to get a feel for the remaining bulb life (the hours may be stored in memory but asking them for that info may be pushing it). And maybe they've replaced the bulb already? Me in your scenario, I'd just unload it when stuff goes out and apply the money to a projector. Of course I don't know how much time you have before the projector deals are gone and how much hassle it will be to unload the Mit...
barrelbelly likes this.

Reply Direct View (single tube) CRT Displays

Tags
crt , stand , xbr970
Gear in this thread - xbr970 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page