Forum Jump: 
Closed Thread

post #181 of 184 Old 07-22-2003, 04:41 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I wonder if the "dark areas" near the sides some have mentioned are due to the thicker glass there. I've noticed that if I am at a different than normal angle with the tv i can barely see some darker areas near the sides, but sitting on my couch in front of the TV I can't see any dark areas at all. To get the flat face on the screen I think they seriously thicken the glass on the sides, and I think the inside of the tube is still curved somewhat, and this could cause some changes in the visible picture near the edges. I noticed it a little on the display model before I made my purchase but it wasn't bad. Like I said, for normal viewing I don't EVER see the dark areas.

BTW, I also purchased this TV due to size constraints...my wife didn't want to give up the Amish built TV stand we had just purchased. (Do Amish watch TV??? ;) )

Before you criticize someone you should walk a mile in their shoes.
That way, when you criticize them, you are a mile away and you have their shoes!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 184 Old 07-22-2003, 04:04 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I wonder if the "dark areas" near the sides some have mentioned are due to the thicker glass there.
Tim, I thought the dark areas were caused by the scan modulation circuitry having limited ability to slow down at the sides: the beam is moving faster than at the center, so the the image is darker.

Early Sony flat screen models had the same problem, but they seem to have solved it in the current generation of sets.

Where did I learn this? Watching the Amish Channel, of course. :p
post #183 of 184 Old 07-22-2003, 06:24 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Bob Whitefield
Tim, I thought the dark areas were caused by the scan modulation circuitry having limited ability to slow down at the sides: the beam is moving faster than at the center, so the the image is darker.

Early Sony flat screen models had the same problem, but they seem to have solved it in the current generation of sets.

Where did I learn this? Watching the Amish Channel, of course. :p
That might be true. They might have fixed it and that's why I don't really see it. I really have to be at some funny angles to see any dark areas, and they still don't look like the one I saw at the store.

Hehe...Amish Channel...primetime lineup: Buggy Races, Corn Husking Hour, "Who wants to be a Farmer", CSI: Cowtown, News by candlelight.

Before you criticize someone you should walk a mile in their shoes.
That way, when you criticize them, you are a mile away and you have their shoes!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #184 of 184 Old 07-24-2003, 11:14 PM

Closed Thread Direct View (single tube) CRT Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page