Toshiba 34HDX82 Picture Burn-In Problem? Help! - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 10-24-2002, 12:25 PM - Thread Starter
lpw

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I got my new Toshiba 34" last week and have noticed something peculiar with the picture when watching certain TV programs - the right side of the screen is slightly darker than the left side of the screen and creates the appearance of a burn-in line right down the center vertical of the screen.

I don't really notice it on regular shows, but when I was watching hockey (with lots of white ice on screen) and baseball (with lots of green outfield grass) on cable, this 'flaw' in the picture is noticeable to the point that it was very distracting.

Do I have a lemon or have I simply set up the TV improperly?? I haven't used the TV all that much because I didn't get the cable hooked up until last night. Up until last night, I've been mostly watching my DVD's and this "burn-in" line isn't noticeable. Is it my cable?

The only other information to add is that I'm using a pair of old Paradigm speakers (NOT magnetically shielded) as my main speakers so I wonder if they are to blame. I've temporarily removed the speakers to see if this 'flaw' goes away but there are no other distortions on the screen when the speakers were next to the TV.

I'm hoping one of you can offer help because it is very disconcerting to get a brand new TV and then notice a picture problem such as this.

Thanks in advance!

Lee
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-24-2002, 12:31 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Some tvs have problems. it may be your cable feed. You haven't noticed it at all on DVD's? What about Video tapes? Does this happen on all channels all the time or just some channels some of the time?
Old 10-24-2002, 01:04 PM - Thread Starter
lpw

Quote:
Originally posted by jeff lam
Some tvs have problems. it may be your cable feed. You haven't noticed it at all on DVD's? What about Video tapes? Does this happen on all channels all the time or just some channels some of the time?
I haven't done much critical viewing yet, but from the few DVD's that I've checked I sometimes see this burn-in line very very faintly but hardly noticeable unless I'm looking for it and only on brighter scenes. Most of the time, I simply do not see the line when watching DVD's. The line might be there but I just can't see it.

Watching cable TV is another story...with sports where there is uniformity of color like the white ice in hockey or the green grass of baseball and soccer, it is very noticeable. Other cable programs like CNN or sitcoms, I do not notice this burn-in line, but as with watching DVD's, I'm unsure whether it's because the line isn't there or whether I just don't notice it as I do when watching sports. I played around with the contrast/brightness, etc but they didn't really help. I have SVM disabled and the other auto-picture stuff set to OFF. I've also checked it with Natural and all the other Toshiba stretch modes. Didn't get rid of the problem.

I don't have a VCR but that's a good point, I should borrow one to check.

Thanks for the quick follow-up!
Old 10-24-2002, 01:25 PM

lpw-
Yes, it sounds like the same problem I'm having with my 34HD82. I plan on having a service tech take a look at it before I send it back though. What is your contrast setting at? Mine is 60.
I see mine mostly with blues and greens, I haven't watched a hockey game yet this year but will look the next chance I get. Like you, I am not experiencing this problem when viewing DVDs (via component HD-1 input). I experience the problem mainly when watching Tivo material via Video-1 input (S-video). Especially noticable on pastel colors like South Park.
Old 10-24-2002, 01:31 PM - Thread Starter
lpw

Quote:
Originally posted by auburn97
lpw-
Yes, it sounds like the same problem I'm having with my 34HD82. I plan on having a service tech take a look at it before I send it back though. What is your contrast setting at? Mine is 60.
I see mine mostly with blues and greens, I haven't watched a hockey game yet this year but will look the next chance I get. Like you, I am not experiencing this problem when viewing DVDs (via component HD-1 input). I experience the problem mainly when watching Tivo material via Video-1 input (S-video). Especially noticable on pastel colors like South Park.
Auburn97,

My contrast setting is at 67 or so, a bit higher than yours but when you mentioned green and blue colors, that'd be consistent as my experience as the soccer pitch and baseball field is mostly green and white ice is...blue? I have HDTV and noticed this on the component HD-1 input when watching some of those channels in additional to seeing it on regular channels via ANT-1 input. Let me know what your service tech says...I was thinking of spending some more time viewing the set to see if the problem goes away before calling in the tech.

Any other 34HD82/HDX82 owners with this problem??
Old 10-24-2002, 02:30 PM

I have a toshiba 34HF81.

Go to service menu by pressing mute twice, then holding it another time and press the 'menu' button on the tv. Then hit menu again once you see the S, then hit tv-video on the remote.
You should see an all white screen. If you see discolorations here, it will be a great diagnostic tool. Perhaps even take a digital picture of the screen so we can see what exactly you're talking about!

You'll definitely see any impurities in the image on an all white. You say you have blueish whites. Perhaps the unshielded speakers are drawing the electron beam towards the right (where the blue is).

I have a similar problem, but a seems a rectangle halo effect within the screen, shifting towards pinks (the left side). I've had the set for 2 or 3 weeks, and think I made the mistake of placing my audio amp (harmon kardon avr 100) in the shelf directly above the screen. I think the power supply's electromagnetic coil must have done something to the image. I had a little improvement when I moved it away down to the floor, but still have remnants of the discoloration.

I have a service plan, so I'm waiting for next monday - a tech will come and hopefully a good professional degaussing will take care of it. Ijust discovered this last night myself, and am keeping my fingers crossed.

Magnets and electromagnets wreak havoc.

Included is a picture. It doesn't look this bad -- its a canon s200... hard to take pics of a tv. The tv is displaying the white screen i told you about. The line 2/3rds up doesn't exist in viewing. The camera's shutter speed is fast enough to show things we can't see in normal view. Notice the slight pinkish color on the lower corners... its worst on the right hand.

The receiver was for 2 weeks where the DVD player is now. The speaker is shielded and tested for years not to cause problems. it actually was sitting a foot higher before i rearranged.

Does this sound like a good degaussing candidate?

This may be your same problem.
LL
Old 10-24-2002, 05:21 PM - Thread Starter
lpw

Quote:
Originally posted by scriabinop23
I have a toshiba 34HF81.

Go to service menu by pressing mute twice, then holding it another time and press the 'menu' button on the tv. Then hit menu again once you see the S, then hit tv-video on the remote.
You should see an all white screen. If you see discolorations here, it will be a great diagnostic tool. Perhaps even take a digital picture of the screen so we can see what exactly you're talking about!
Thanks for the detailed response! I've followed your above instructions but there is no'tv-video' button on the remote. I do see the 'S' on the screen but I can't find which is the equivalent 'tv-video' button on this remote to bring up the white screen you speak of.
Old 10-24-2002, 05:29 PM

On my remote it is called TV/Video. I imagine whatever the button which lets you switch sources (i.e. from tuner1, tuner2,component 1, etc.) is what you want. By the way, don't hit the tv/video (or whatever its called) on the tv set. it has a different function (which i don't know exactly). video source switch (tv/video on mine) will give you what you want.

If you see an S, you are almost there. Just hit 'menu' after you see an S - don't hit volume up/down when in service mode unless you know what you're doing, as this changes settings. Then hit the video source switch button on the remote.

To get out of service mode and back into normal settings, simply hit the power switch.
Old 10-24-2002, 10:47 PM
Advanced Member

lpw,

I have what looks like a burn in line down the center of my hdx82 too. I was going to exchange it this weekend, but now I'm not sure.

There's basically a bright 1" thick line running down the middle of the screen on mine - very noticable on bright backgrounds (white, green etc.) Does this sound like what you have?

Bryan
Old 10-25-2002, 07:54 AM - Thread Starter
lpw

Quote:
Originally posted by scriabinop23
If you see an S, you are almost there. Just hit 'menu' after you see an S - don't hit volume up/down when in service mode unless you know what you're doing, as this changes settings. Then hit the video source switch button on the remote.
Thanks for the follow-up...you omitted the part on hitting the 'menu' button after seeing the 'S' before you hit the 'tv-video' on the remote, which is the 'input' button on the hdx82.

The white screen shows a rectangular vertical band of dark discolorations of several inches on both the left and right edges of the screen and I definitely now see a patch of dark discoloration running from the middle of the screen to several inches to the right. This leads me to believe that my unshielded, 8-yr old Paradigm speakers and possibly my other gear (receiver, subwoofer) are causing this. Because my a/v rack hasn't arrived, all of my gear is placed to the right of the TV and my right speaker is much closer to the TV than the left speaker. My left speaker is approx. 2-3 feet away from the TV

I've now removed all of my gear and speakers away from the TV and I unplugged the TV before I went to bed last night. Hopefully, this will degauss the TV and get rid of the problem by tonight. I'm worred now that once my a/v rack arrives, my receiver and external amp will be placed there underneath the TV and I wonder whether this is too close. I will have to look at getting shielded speakers, though. Thanks for your tips, especially on the white screen diagnostic tool - it showed the problem areas very clearly!

Auburn and bryanb...can you confirm whether you're using unshielded speakers in your set-up? You should run the white screen and see where the problem areas are and see if it's consistent with mine.
Old 10-25-2002, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by lpw
Thanks for the follow-up...you omitted the part on hitting the 'menu' button after seeing the 'S' before you hit the 'tv-video' on the remote, which is the 'input' button on the hdx82.

The white screen shows a rectangular vertical band of dark discolorations of several inches on both the left and right edges of the screen and I definitely now see a patch of dark discoloration running from the middle of the screen to several inches to the right. This leads me to believe that my unshielded, 8-yr old Paradigm speakers and possibly my other gear (receiver, subwoofer) are causing this. Because my a/v rack hasn't arrived, all of my gear is placed to the right of the TV and my right speaker is much closer to the TV than the left speaker. My left speaker is approx. 2-3 feet away from the TV

I've now removed all of my gear and speakers away from the TV and I unplugged the TV before I went to bed last night. Hopefully, this will degauss the TV and get rid of the problem by tonight. I'm worred now that once my a/v rack arrives, my receiver and external amp will be placed there underneath the TV and I wonder whether this is too close. I will have to look at getting shielded speakers, though. Thanks for your tips, especially on the white screen diagnostic tool - it showed the problem areas very clearly!

Auburn and bryanb...can you confirm whether you're using unshielded speakers in your set-up? You should run the white screen and see where the problem areas are and see if it's consistent with mine.

Interesting. I have infinity RS8s 2 feet from each side. The amp is now on the floor. I unplugged the screen last night and there's still some of this ugliness.. I'm hoping a good degaussing will clear up the rest.

I thought my infinity speakers were shielded. Maybe what i see is still a remnant of the receiver messing up the magnetic field on the tube. I had no problems with my panasonic 27" screen.
Old 10-25-2002, 04:04 PM

Try viewing a 100% gray scale (white) test pattern from the Avia or VE DVD. I find this is a cleaner all white screen than the internal Toshiba white pattern.
Old 10-26-2002, 07:41 PM

I too am experiencing the exact same thing with my 34HDX82... A faint white vertical "line" down the center of the set about an inch in width. Very noticable on lighter backgrounds only seemingly while viewing cable tv (digital), I don't notice it while viewing through the component input(s) or composite (through av jacks).
Old 10-26-2002, 07:47 PM

If that vertical line is only visible from the digital cable box source, perhaps its the cable box that is at fault? How is the digital cable box hooked up to the 34HDX82? Can you hook it up via composite or S-video and compare?
Old 10-26-2002, 11:21 PM - Thread Starter
lpw

Quote:
Originally posted by funky327
I too am experiencing the exact same thing with my 34HDX82... A faint white vertical "line" down the center of the set about an inch in width. Very noticable on lighter backgrounds only seemingly while viewing cable tv (digital), I don't notice it while viewing through the component input(s) or composite (through av jacks).
Well, I'm going to call the tech people on Monday. I borrowed a friend's degauss coil but it didn't eliminate the line, so it doesn't appear to be my unshielded speakers that are causing this. I've used Video Essentials and put up some of the white/gray color bars and charts and the faint line down the middle and the vertical bands on the left and right sides are clearly visible.

I am seeing these irregularities on cable TV and upon closer inspection, on DVD's as well, and on various inputs such as the component inputs and the antenna inputs. Certain scenes make these irregularities more noticeable than others, although I have to admit that most of the time, they're not noticeable. But with light backgrounds, it's easy to see them.

Sigh...maybe I should've shelled out more $$$ and gotten the Sony 34XBR800 instead :mad:
Old 10-27-2002, 12:48 PM

DonBerg: The digital cable box my cable company provided only has coax outputs. After closer inspection (and about 2 hours later), I'm finding that the vertical line is visible through all inputs that I use (component, coax, and composite). It's more visible during fast motion on a solid color (i.e. when watching a basketball game while panning left and right on the court or an animated movie). I've also tested to see if it was visible throughout all the picture sizes/modes and it appears to be consistent while viewing any size.

lpw: I thought the same thing (that my speakers were causing the problem) but after moving them further away from the set, I'm still getting the same thing. Unfortunately I don't own a video essentials disc to test any further as you have done... :(
Old 10-27-2002, 01:24 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

lpw: I thought the same thing (that my speakers were causing the problem) but after moving them further away from the set, I'm still getting the same thing. Unfortunately I don't own a video essentials disc to test any further as you have done... :(
FYI -- I ran across Video Essentials for rent at my local Blockbuster yesterday.

Phil
Old 10-28-2002, 06:26 AM

Liked: 12
This problem was present on the 34hf81 as stated previously. Had this television and it was originally believed to be a problem with the hyperboard. Replacement of the hyperboard (twice) had no effect on the problem. Saw 6 other 34hf81 with the same problem all in varying degrees. It's not burn it. Toshiba and the tech tried to tell me the line was present during cable, vcr and any other non HD material because it was a HD television and the line would not be there with 480p or 1080i. Well, I went and bought a progressive player and sure enough the line was still present and it was also there during HD hockey (Olympics).

My advice to you folks with the problem is to demand an exchange or refund, because as of 3 and a half months ago there was no fix for the problem. It doesn't sound as though the problem is present in all of Toshiba's 34 widescreen's but if your's has it I would exchange or refund.

Cheers,

Sean
Old 10-28-2002, 07:41 AM
Advanced Member

Obviously people are going to post here when there is a problem, but does anyone have one of these TV's that DOESN'T have this visible line? I think that knowing this can help show if this a problem with all the TV's or just a percentage of them. If they all have this problem and the HF81's did too, my confidence isn't high that Toshiba thinks it's a problem worth fixing...

Tim

Before you criticize someone you should walk a mile in their shoes.
That way, when you criticize them, you are a mile away and you have their shoes!

Setting up Powerstrip with a Sony A10 LCD RPTV
Old 10-28-2002, 08:01 AM - Thread Starter
lpw

Quote:
Originally posted by Mr.Pibb
Obviously people are going to post here when there is a problem, but does anyone have one of these TV's that DOESN'T have this visible line? I think that knowing this can help show if this a problem with all the TV's or just a percentage of them. If they all have this problem and the HF81's did too, my confidence isn't high that Toshiba thinks it's a problem worth fixing...

Tim
Depending on what you're watching, this may not be an issue at all for most owners because it's just not that noticeable. But now that I've seen it and know where to look for it, it's definitely visible on certain scenes.

I was at a Best Buy this weekend and they had the 34HD81 on display with the remote. I pulled up the internal white diagnostic screen - no visible middle line but there was still the faint vertical bands or regions on the left and right side of the TV...seems lighter than what I have on my screen at least.
Old 10-28-2002, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by lpw
I am using Definitive Technology ProCinema 80 main speakers and Monitor 100 center speaker. All speakers are shielded, and the center speaker sits directly atop the TV. I don't have the other problems you are experiencing, just the vertical line down the center.
Old 10-28-2002, 10:27 AM

I just got off the phone with both Toshiba and my local Toshiba service center. Toshiba was not much help at all, they did say that there are no documented problems with the set and they (or I should say the rep I spoke to) didn't have any suggestions except to schedule an appointment with my local service center.

After speaking with a local technician, he said it sounded like electronic interference from halogen lights or some other device. He had seen this sort of problem before and it had been the halogen lights that caused it. Unfortunately he said that simply turning them off will not fix the problem because of the transformer within the fixture... Also, I thought I would note that he did not think it was a defective tube and that problems like this are very hard to figure out.

Anybody else out there have this set and is not experiencing any of the problems discussed in this thread?
Old 10-28-2002, 11:07 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I just got off the phone with both Toshiba and my local Toshiba service center. Toshiba was not much help at all, they did say that there are no documented problems with the set and they (or I should say the rep I spoke to) didn't have any suggestions except to schedule an appointment with my local service center.

After speaking with a local technician, he said it sounded like electronic interference from halogen lights or some other device. He had seen this sort of problem before and it had been the halogen lights that caused it. Unfortunately he said that simply turning them off will not fix the problem because of the transformer within the fixture... Also, I thought I would note that he did not think it was a defective tube and that problems like this are very hard to figure out.

Anybody else out there have this set and is not experiencing any of the problems discussed in this thread?
funky327,

Do you have any halogen lights or fluorescent lights that may have a high voltage transformer in them? If not, that pretty much rules out that excuse.

If so, have you tried completely unplugging them?

Tim

Before you criticize someone you should walk a mile in their shoes.
That way, when you criticize them, you are a mile away and you have their shoes!

Setting up Powerstrip with a Sony A10 LCD RPTV
Old 10-28-2002, 11:21 AM

Tim,

Unfortunately I do have hardwired fluorescent lights in my kitchen and since I live in an apartment I can't really experiment by taking them out. I'm curious if anybody else experiencing these problems have halogen or fluorescent lights too.

Thanks,
Eli
Old 10-28-2002, 11:28 AM
Advanced Member

funky327,

I have the problem and do have fluorescent lights in my kitchen. The TV is about 20 feet from the nearest light though.

Tonight I'll try shifting some stuff around, but since my 30 day return window only has about a week left, I may just return it until this whole thing gets sorted out.

Bryan
Old 10-28-2002, 11:38 AM - Thread Starter
lpw

Bryan,

Well, what do you know...I live in an apartment and have halogen lights in the kitchen/hallway too. My local service rep is coming this Friday so I'll keep everyone updated.

lpw
Old 10-28-2002, 01:32 PM

I have a 10month old 34HF81 and it has no visible line as you describe. The bands on the left and right with the internal service mode white screen appear, but I don't see that at all with a white screen input from an AVIA DVD test pattern - so that isn't a real issue since the screen is perfect with real video sources. Probably the internal white screen test pattern generator has a problem that causes those bands. Use an AVIA or VE DVD gray scale test pattern for a real test screen.
Old 10-28-2002, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by DonBerg
I have a 10month old 34HF81 and it has no visible line as you describe. The bands on the left and right with the internal service mode white screen appear, but I don't see that at all with a white screen input from an AVIA DVD test pattern - so that isn't a real issue since the screen is perfect with real video sources. Probably the internal white screen test pattern generator has a problem that causes those bands. Use an AVIA or VE DVD gray scale test pattern for a real test screen.

When you mean banding, do you mean the same type of effect that looks like a magnetic imperfection I showed pictures of earlier?

My tv tech from the best buy service plan came today. He took a look at it and said this type of thing is real common in CRTs this size, but that many customers don't even notice it. I got him to try the degausser, but it didn't change anything. Since its up against the wall, he thought moving it could possibly help - besides that there's nothing we could do according to him.

I moved it about 8 inches from the wall, and it does seem milder. Possibly the electric wiring in the wall could be doing this a little.

I do have a treadmill in the same room, but it doesn't run that often. IT is always plugged in. Could that motor's transformer's proximity be affecting the set? Its about 7 feet from the TV.

I'm hoping time will take care of this. Who knows....
Old 10-28-2002, 02:58 PM

No, not magnetic color effects. I was referring to the internal service mode all white screen test pattern in the 34HF81 that shows light areas on the left and right sides that might be though to be due to 4:3 burnin. But when I use a 100% white screen test pattern from the AVIA DVD there is no such thing - its a perfect all white screen on the entire 16:9 area, so it can't be the picture tube, it must be the internal test pattern generator that is at fault. That doesn't affect real video sources like DVD or HD thank goodness. Have you tried the AVIA 100% white test pattern on your set? Only go by the results you get from that, not the internal white screen test.
Old 10-28-2002, 04:44 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Don,
Just a quick question with the toshiba 34". Do you just live with the grey side bars or have you found a way to make them black without screwing up your set? Or do you just use the zoom/stretch modes all the time?