"UltraWide" CRT - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Floydage

post #1 of 16 Old 02-08-2015, 11:34 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 1
"UltraWide" CRT

After some playing around, I managed to get up to 24:9(8:3) on my KD-34XBR960 via the Service Menu.

Anybody else with experience with non-traditional Aspect Ratios on CRTs?

And my failed attempt. somewhere around 48:9 and 64:9 stretched to fill 16:9(what the screen usually tries to display).

And my really bad attempt at a composite image of my stretching it as far as it will go, even more than halfway off screen.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0241c.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	125.4 KB
ID:	533601   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0233.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	212.6 KB
ID:	533609   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0219.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	109.7 KB
ID:	533617  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 02-10-2015, 01:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Liked: 261
Maybe I'm missing the bigger point here. But what would a user possibly achieve by doing that with 34" CRT video content? Why would they do this?
post #3 of 16 Old 02-10-2015, 03:16 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrelbelly View Post
Maybe I'm missing the bigger point here. But what would a user possibly achieve by doing that with 34" CRT video content? Why would they do this?

Typically they would watch it. As one does with visual media.
post #4 of 16 Old 02-10-2015, 03:20 PM - Thread Starter

Someone forgot to put an Edit function or I just can't see it. In any case, the answer to the question you actually asked is "because they can".
post #5 of 16 Old 02-11-2015, 10:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Well where in the real world does anyone want to get so wide? Examples? I can see going theater wide (24:9?) with some unedited movie content, which is why I suspect is part of the reason folks want such huge screens so they don't lose a significant amount of viewing area with the black bars.

Interesting though. Did you experience any distortion at 24:9?
Next up: Wrap around omni CRT...

post #6 of 16 Old 02-11-2015, 08:34 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floydage View Post
Well where in the real world does anyone want to get so wide? Examples? I can see going theater wide (24:9?) with some unedited movie content, which is why I suspect is part of the reason folks want such huge screens so they don't lose a significant amount of viewing area with the black bars.

Interesting though. Did you experience any distortion at 24:9?
Next up: Wrap around omni CRT...
My initial and primary goal was for video games that could advantage from a super wide view, like horizontal shooters ans sidescrollers(they would have to be polygon based, like Gradius V and Megaman X8, though).

Another idea was that for Blu-Ray movies that have black bars at the top and bottom could have thos black bars stretched outside of the usable area of the TV's Geometry and then altar than to be the proper aspect ratio. Allowing more "pixels" to be used for actual video.
post #7 of 16 Old 02-12-2015, 08:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Those are ideas, not real world applications.

Your second pgh - that's zooming. Will cut off the sides. Any alteration beyond that would distort the image.

post #8 of 16 Old 02-12-2015, 08:58 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Those are ideas, not real world applications.

Your second pgh - that's zooming. Will cut off the sides. Any alteration beyond that would distort the image.
Seems pretty real to me. Only problem I saw was some slowdown from the PS2 because of having to load in extra geometry and enemy AI more often and simultaneously.

How would the sides get cut off if you only modify the height?
post #9 of 16 Old 02-12-2015, 09:10 AM
AVS Special Member

OK, I mistook "goal" for an idea. Hopefully you can overcome the slowness problem. For now you might see if it speeds up at a lower resolution.

If you only modify the height than you'll stretch (distort) the image vertically. The only way you can eliminate the bars without distorting the image is to zoom it.

post #10 of 16 Old 02-12-2015, 09:15 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
OK, I mistook "goal" for an idea. Hopefully you can overcome the slowness problem. For now you might see if it speeds up at a lower resolution.

If you only modify the height than you'll stretch (distort) the image vertically. The only way you can eliminate the bars without distorting the image is to zoom it.
If I increase the vertical aspect of the video outside of the projected surface, then decrease the height of the projected surface, then I can remove the black bars from the video and maintain aspect ratio.
post #11 of 16 Old 02-12-2015, 09:33 AM
AVS Special Member

It's pure geometry, you can't get something for nothing. You'll either cut off the ends to maintain aspect/undistorted image or you'll change the aspect/distort the image. Try it with a geometric test pattern...

post #12 of 16 Old 02-12-2015, 11:11 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
It's pure geometry, you can't get something for nothing. You'll either cut off the ends to maintain aspect/undistorted image or you'll change the aspect/distort the image. Try it with a geometric test pattern...
Test Pattern from: spearsandmunsil

First Picture: Normal 16:9(White area indicates 2.39:1
Second Picture: Expand image vertically
Third Picture: Adjust geometry to correct Aspect Ratio.
Fourth Picture: Copy of test image.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0278.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	155.1 KB
ID:	541489   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0285.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	161.1 KB
ID:	541497   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0287.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	160.4 KB
ID:	541505   Click image for larger version

Name:	GEO_TEST.png
Views:	25
Size:	95.3 KB
ID:	541513  
post #13 of 16 Old 02-12-2015, 12:13 PM
AVS Special Member

You didn't accomplish anything other than shifting the image up vertically one white bar with a black bar at the bottom; the usable image still utilizes the same net area but on a different part of the screen. Oddly enough I've observed my Panny do that same vertical shift when I play around with the aspect setting (user/remote control button) on some black-bar content at lower resolutions (it won't let me change aspect ratio on HD content); which is nice sometimes to have it shifted up.

post #14 of 16 Old 02-12-2015, 01:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Here's what ya need, pretty cool:

http://www.prysm.com/olympic-video-walls

Laser Phosphor Display (LPD) technology, note the phosphor like a CRT.

post #15 of 16 Old 02-13-2015, 03:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Liked: 261
Quote:
Here's what ya need, pretty cool:

http://www.prysm.com/olympic-video-walls

Laser Phosphor Display (LPD) technology, note the phosphor like a CRT.
Floydage...If the PRYSM guys ever belly up to the bar. And bring this configurable tile design to HTPC monitors and the design engineering PC/DIY PC sectors...They will dominate IMO. They already have very low weight in their current configuration. But if they can deliver this at the current 20"w by 15"H at a depth of no more than 4"-6"...look out! I have seen these up very close at their Technical lab in Concord MA. And it's potential is unrivaled in so many areas IMO. It truly does produce a CRT image from the standpoint of color depth...sparkling and vivid Image Structure...Contrast ratio...vanishing amount of input lag and pure Blacks. Add on top of that the digital benefits of LCD or OLED like sharpness and high contrast...shadow detail...ruler flat grayscale...and it's a home run IMO. From what I saw in their labs, it is not ready for home theaters and Living room applications yet. because of its tile structure that is visible. Even though I'm not sure how much so in a full blown Gigantic 3D Blu Ray movie setup. But I would buy a 3-6 monitor setup in a heartbeat for my PC to get the immersion I covet in Gaming and design photography computing. I think PRYSM is squandering a big opportunity by not bringing this out in professional consumer applications. It is "New" HD CRT at its finest from what I observed. With possible & inherent Scalable features to the highest resolution out there 720p-1080p-4k-8k-16k and beyond according to their techs. And it has none of the penalties of OLD CRT and reliability/product life decay issues of LCD, OLED or Plasma. I hope PRYSM gets their act together soon and launch a smart move into professional consumer markets.
post #16 of 16 Old 02-14-2015, 10:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Are you stalking me? just kidding.

Oh so they're small tiles, I didn't look at it close enough the first time. Would have to be a huge screen distant viewing position setup (like wealthy folks with a mini-theater) not to notice the grid. Sounds awesome if they can get the tile size much larger.

But for now I'll evaluate it for them if they want to send me some tiles. Or just send me one tile for my kitchen.
barrelbelly likes this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Direct View (single tube) CRT Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page