Vertical bar on Sonys when viewing 1080i - Page 31 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #901 of 918 Old 06-16-2008, 05:15 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi, new here. I just came across the "bar" recently and have been reading this thread closely. I have a KV-36HS510 and used the HDPT fix and all is well here. Im afraid to use the bulletin tweaks because my model is not listed and a newer revision of the bulletin with my model was released in 05. I believe the one here is the older version. I worry that the values maybe different than those posted here for my TV set. Does anyone have the newest version of E18728143 with the HS510's listed? Many thanks !

From jehill on Agoraquest

This issue was identified by Sony in the following service bulletin last updated on 02/25/2005:

Document Reference/Event ID: E18728143
Models: KV30XBR910, KV32HS500, KV32HS510, KV32HV600, KV34HS510, KV34XBR800, KV34XBR910, KV36HS500, KV36HS510, KV36XBR800, KV40XBR800
Subject: Moving vertical bar while viewing 1080i
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #902 of 918 Old 07-09-2008, 08:00 AM

Most interesting, I have just come across this problem plugging a new PS3 into my 32 inch Sony.

Where can I find the Sony service bulletin referenced
post #903 of 918 Old 07-11-2008, 03:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by redsars88 View Post

Most interesting, I have just come across this problem plugging a new PS3 into my 32 inch Sony.

Where can I find the Sony service bulletin referenced

I think it's earlier in this thread. If you can't find it, send me a private message with your email address and I'll try to dig up my copy.
post #904 of 918 Old 07-11-2008, 05:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawnspic View Post

Hi, new here. I just came across the "bar" recently and have been reading this thread closely. I have a KV-36HS510 and used the HDPT fix and all is well here. Im afraid to use the bulletin tweaks because my model is not listed and a newer revision of the bulletin with my model was released in 05. I believe the one here is the older version. I worry that the values maybe different than those posted here for my TV set. Does anyone have the newest version of E18728143 with the HS510's listed? Many thanks !

From jehill on Agoraquest

This issue was identified by Sony in the following service bulletin last updated on 02/25/2005:

Document Reference/Event ID: E18728143
Models: KV30XBR910, KV32HS500, KV32HS510, KV32HV600, KV34HS510, KV34XBR800, KV34XBR910, KV36HS500, KV36HS510, KV36XBR800, KV40XBR800
Subject: Moving vertical bar while viewing 1080i

I seldom cruise AVS for new topic outside of the few that I am subscribed to, so I just happened accross this question.

If you never received an answer to your question, the Sony ESI site now lists the reference bulletin in the KV36HS510 searches, so yes, the same applies to your set.
post #905 of 918 Old 11-23-2008, 06:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by max99 View Post

I too was afraid I would screw something up - but decided to give it a try and it was easy. Here is what I did: I turned on a 1080i program. Then I turned off the TV and turned it on getting into the service menu (Display - 5 - vol+ - power). I hit 4 until I saw the HDPT in the upper left then changed the 1 to a 0 by either hitting 3 or 6 - I can't remember which but there are only 2 options (1 and 0) so you can't screw it up. I then saved it (mute - enter) and turned off the TV to get out of the service mode. Turned the TV on and it was fixed.

There was a slight change in brightness, but I re-ran AVIA and it looks good.

Does that sound like what everyone else did?

You sir are a scholar and a gentleman.

Here is my story.

I picked up a KV34HS510 off of craigslist because i needed a cheap HDTV for the bedroom and space wasnt an issue. I ended up picking it up for 150 cash in the same city i live in. I got it home and loved the PQ, have a Wii/PS3/360 hooked up to it (wii 480p component/360 1080i component, PS3 is hooked up HDMI->DVI). I did a quick calibration and was very happy with the end results and was thrilled with the set. But then once i started actually playing for long periods of time, i would notice 2 things. One, on the left side of the screen are discoloration in 2 spots, they're very small and only on the very left edge, but say the screen is all red, the spots end up yellow. I can overlook that no problem, since it doesnt happen all the time (and most games these days are just more shades of grey anyway).

The other problem was when things were loading on a black screen, id see this pulsing going from right to left and it shift the colors as it went by. I thought the set was defective but i was still happy with the set, so i didnt bother thinking about a proper fix, and just felt i could live with it, even tho it annoyed the crap out of me. So i was searching avs under my tvs model # when i saw someone mentioning this issue vaguely. Using keywords from that post + more searching, lead me to this thread, and eventually, this post. I want to say that i tried this out today and it worked PERFECTLY. The display is even more sharper then before, the brightness went down but easily fixed, and the KV-34HS510 has NEVER looked better.

I am again super insanely happy with the set and want to thank all involved who helped get it going. Blacks look amazing and HD just looks absolutely stellar. From what ive read, id have to open up my tv to fix the 2 discoloration spots so i will not bother with that. So again, thanks to all for the help.
post #906 of 918 Old 12-02-2008, 07:34 PM

Man, this site is awesome! I had only recently noticed the moving purplish-colored vertical bars going right to left across my screen and thought it was simply my 5 year old TV that was showing its age. I did the service menu trick and that fixed it.

BTW, I just spent a half hour looking at the best LCD and Plasma TVs I could find at the local CC tonight. Bottom line: I was not impressed by anything with motion (like sporting events) on any of the TVs. 120 Hz, de-juddering, blah blah. None of them look very good to my eyes. I returned home and turned on my 34" CRT to watch OTA broadcasts at 1080i and marveled at how much better it looks than any of the new stuff. I'm going to be hunting on craigslist to find another one locally to replace my 15 year old XBR.

'Mo
post #907 of 918 Old 12-16-2008, 08:10 AM

I have recently applied the service bulletin fixes, with mixed success (I can't seem to get good black levels), but I was wondering why the listed fixes don't tweak anything under the 'Pro' setting. Anyone know why this is the case?

Thanks
post #908 of 918 Old 12-31-2008, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy64 View Post

Several folks have noticed a faint vertical bar, maybe 2 inches wide moving across the screen (usually right to left) when viewing 1080i sources. It has been seen using different models of HD OTA or Satellite tuners.

The question is whether or not its common with all the new Sonys, just certain models, or is just a problem with a few individual sets (although I've had two myself).

Once you notice it, its one of those things that can haunt you - so you may not want to check for it if you haven't seen it. If so, don't read any further.

Its been my experience that its most visible during dark scenes - when the credits are rolling after a show for example - and sometimes can be seen in the dark areas of "normal" pictures. As far as I know its only visible when viewing 1080i signals using either the component or DVI inputs.

It can be made more apparent by setting the TV brightness and contrast (picture) controls higher than normal -- although it can also be seen after calibrating the set using the SMPTE color bars' pluge signal -- available from the Video Essentials or AVIA setup disks -- then tuning to a HD channel.

I'd like to know which models have it and with what receiver or other video sources.

It's been in both of my 40XBR800's when driving the component input with a Dish 6000 receiver (both on HD OTA signals and HBO/SHOWTIME HD satellite signals).

Its source is the very slight (1 Hz) frequency difference between the set's horizontal scan rate and the 1080i video's horizontal sync rate.

It happens because it's interlaced. That means pixels are broken down to scale and the processor isn't fast enough to do all that processing.
post #909 of 918 Old 12-31-2008, 05:52 PM

Hi guys, i use to have those vertical lines like those above mentioned, with my Kv36hs500 with my previews HD receivers in the 1080I only with DVi cable not on component video, but since i swapped for the VIP211 from echo star i don't have those frequency lines anymore.
post #910 of 918 Old 12-31-2008, 06:25 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivtec View Post

Hi guys, i use to have those vertical lines like those above mentioned, with my Kv36hs500 with my previews HD receivers in the 1080I only with DVi cable not on component video, but since i swapped for the VIP211 from echo star i don't have those frequency lines anymore.

That's very interesting. Thanks for the report.

One of these days, I'll be hooking up a KV-36XBR800 to a Motorola 6412 DVR and I'll have to see if I get the vertical lines.
post #911 of 918 Old 01-13-2009, 07:18 AM

Just wanted to say thanks to everyone who helped figure this issue out. I know it's really old news for some, but I just encountered the vertical lines for the first time last week. I'd bought a KV36HS500 TV used a couple of years ago, but only now go my first HD source -- a PS3. Hooked it up via HDMI-DVI and sat down to watch my first blu-ray, The Dark Knight. It was so disappointing to have that stupid line running across the screen the whole time.

I used the service menu fix yesterday, and all is well. So thanks!

And Cobo, I totally agree. I bought my Dad a highly rated 40" LCD for his birthday last October, and it has nowhere near the picture quality of my Sony CRT. I've admired some of the top-end plasma screens in-store, but I think more for their size and widescreen aspect ratio than any improvement in picture quality.
post #912 of 918 Old 01-13-2009, 08:47 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwr827 View Post

Just wanted to say thanks to everyone who helped figure this issue out. I know it's really old news for some, but I just encountered the vertical lines for the first time last week. I'd bought a KV36HS500 TV used a couple of years ago, but only now go my first HD source -- a PS3. Hooked it up via HDMI-DVI and sat down to watch my first blu-ray, The Dark Knight. It was so disappointing to have that stupid line running across the screen the whole time.

I used the service menu fix yesterday, and all is well. So thanks!

Thank you very much for the update!

How difficult was the service menu adjustment?

Did the line on your set run right to left or in the other direction?

Could you see it if the room wasn't darkened?
post #913 of 918 Old 01-13-2009, 09:07 AM

Since I had the quick and easy instructions from this thread, the service menu adjustment was, well, quick and easy. I've never before ventured into the service menu, so I was a little nervous about screwing something up. Just to be clear, I only did the change from 1 to 0 for the HDPT value (I think that's what it was called).

The line ran from right to left, about once every second, and it was only barely visible when the room was bright. I always watch movies with the lights down, and then it was very visible, especially in darker scenes. Otherwise the picture looked fantastic, but once you noticed the line it was really hard to ignore.

I did notice a slight shift in brightness when I made the change, but that was easily corrected afterward.
post #914 of 918 Old 01-13-2009, 09:12 AM
Advanced Member

I noticed a shift in brightniess too, not a terrible thing. also, I think the detail the sony processor add might be a bit too much. I noticed even with the settings low on HDPT 1 the detail was a bit overboard to the point of picture brwak up, macroblocking...etc.

when switched to 0 it looks smoother and still great detail, but not on all HD channels. some seem a little too soft while others look perfect now. but I think that has more to do with the feed and if it is 720p or not.

but on some HD channels it def makes it look better.
post #915 of 918 Old 01-13-2009, 09:19 AM

I don't have any HD channels, or any channels at all, so I can't comment. But blu-ray discs look great, so I'm happy.
post #916 of 918 Old 03-09-2009, 07:59 PM

I have a xbr970, and I also see this bar, though very faint (not a deal breaker).

Only, I do not have a HDPT option in the OP menu. Also, switchign MID1 DPSW from 0 to 1 gives a blank screen (even the service menu disapears).

Anyone with a xbr570 knows how to fix this?

Thanx!

Quote:
Originally Posted by montreal View Post

Bryan1701HD

There is a fix for the XBR2 HA3 chassis. It is similar to the fix for the XBR800/HS500 with touch-ups to the brightness and color. Ask for the service bulletin. It requires setting the MID1 DPSW value from 0 to 1 at the same time as the value of OP HDPT is changed from 1 to 0.

Now back to the problem in DA4 chassis for the XBR/HS.

From what I can read, the vertical bar problem stems from the fact that when the video signal enters the DRC/MID circuits on the 'B' board in 1080i, it exits with a horizontal frequency that is generated by the board's internal clock and this internal clock is around 1080i and independent of the same signal's horizontal frequency as it leaves the studio.

Then the slightly un-synced horizontal signal goes on to fire up the high voltage flyback transformer (30 kilovolts) and all this energy gets radiated back into the input circuits. The radiated pulses superimpose themselves adjacent to the original signal's horizontal pulses and you now have a slow moving parade of vertical bars on the screen.

There are two ways to solve this problem.

The first is getting the DRC/MID circuits to abandon using the internal clock and use the horizontal sync pulses of the incoming 1080i signal, whether it enters as components or DVI. For incoming 720P or 480P, the internal clock could still be used because although the bars will still be there, they move too fast to be visible.

The second way is to activate the circuit which allows the video signal to bypass completely the DRC/MID circuits thereby using the original studio generated horizontal sync pulses embedded in the video signal.

I believe Sony has opted for the second solution because they insist that the service menu patch can only work if the 'B' board has the bypass parts present. If the owner wants to activate the twin view feature, then we have no choice but to send the signal into the MID circuit with the risk of using its out of sync internal clock.

Some XBR owners have reported in this thread that their sets already had the necessary parts on the 'B' board and it was only by changing HDPT from 1 to 0 that they got the problem to go away.

Which leaves me with the question: Do our sets leave the factory programmed never to use the bypass circuit for 1080i (nor 720p nor 480p)?

Also, does anyone know what MID1 DPSW is for?

post #917 of 918 Old 10-15-2009, 11:28 AM

My spiffy 34XBR910 has been having this issue for a while and it got to the point where i couldn't enjoy movies on the display anymore due to it. I did the HDCT trick and it worked fine, but the display is now quite a bit darker and not as sharp. Its the price to pay i guess. Has anyone been able to fix it any other way?
post #918 of 918 Old 04-01-2010, 05:10 AM

I have an Aug 2002-manufactured KV36-HS500. I have had a variety of HD sources over the years - MyHD MDP-100 PCI tuner card (component), upscaling Samsung DVD-HD850 (component & HDMI), Samsung DTB-H260F set top box (component & HDMI) - and never noticed the vertical bar.

Bought a used Samsung Blu-Ray player (BD-P2550) and saw problem for the first time. Based on other experience, at first thought the problem was the player, but then came upon this thread.

Followed steps here last night:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showp...&postcount=277

Referred here for entering svc mode, navigating, changing values, and saving:
http://myweb.accessus.net/~090/sonyadj.html#sony

All went well, and the bar is gone. One strange thing - in step 13, my first value (CXA2151 YGN) was 8 instead of 7. I did not change it.

Thanks to all who have contributed here to help me to keep enjoying my set.
Reply Direct View (single tube) CRT Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page