Forum Jump: 

post #181 of 918 Old 01-15-2003, 10:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Beckster13,

You guys have really got me looking hard for fuzzy text, HDTV lines, and ANY anomolies or screen abnormalities. My 40XBR is about 3 weeks old and I've yet to find anything weird...just great PQ! Perhaps I should kiss my lucky stars, but this has been the best TV I've ever owned.

The text problem you described might have to do w/some sort of magnetic field interference in the immediate area of the TV...even inside the wall. I'm certainly no expert, but I would be on the phone to CC or Sony in a heartbeat if I were to experience anything similar on my 40XBR. Tell them to fix it or replace it...period.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 918 Old 01-15-2003, 10:51 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
yeah, strangest thing, when i had my 34XBR800 temporarily on the floor, when i pushed it a few inches back half the screen turned yellow. when i pulled it back it disappeared. there was nothing magnetic nearby - just bookshelves, a couple computers, a wood dining table, a sofa... i figured it was a steel beam in the floor of my apartment or something. right now on the tv stand i still have that green discoloration fading in and out occassionaly in the top left corner. i really have no clue....
post #183 of 918 Old 01-16-2003, 06:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by dorkus
yeah, strangest thing, when i had my 34XBR800 temporarily on the floor, when i pushed it a few inches back half the screen turned yellow. when i pulled it back it disappeared. there was nothing magnetic nearby - just bookshelves, a couple computers, a wood dining table, a sofa... i figured it was a steel beam in the floor of my apartment or something. right now on the tv stand i still have that green discoloration fading in and out occassionaly in the top left corner. i really have no clue....

Is it possible that it could be EARTH and it's Magnetic pull

Harley
post #184 of 918 Old 01-16-2003, 06:47 AM

cajieboy-

You're right. For the money I paid, I expect (near) perfection. If I can see something with my own eyes, it should be fixed. First, I'm going to try Avia. If that doesn't fix it, I will call Sony.

Yes, you are very lucky you have no problems, even slight ones, which is what I consider mine to be. Great TV, isn't it?

-Beckster
post #185 of 918 Old 01-16-2003, 06:48 AM
Advanced Member

if you didn't build the home yourself its hard to tell whats in the wall. Ive been around home building and remodeling and i tell you some people do some things that made me scratch my head.
post #186 of 918 Old 01-16-2003, 06:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by HuskerHarley

The service manual actually suggests aligning the picture tube in an East-West orientation while performing service for best results ... man, these big tubes are touchy.
post #187 of 918 Old 01-16-2003, 07:01 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

right now on the tv stand i still have that green discoloration fading in and out occassionaly in the top left corner. i really have no clue....

When you say "fading in and out ocassionally" do you mean you can sit and watch it coming and going?

I have a very mild discoloration on the right side and in the upper left hand corner that is visible only on a pure white screen. It comes and goes in the sense that maybe 80% of the times I turn on it is not there and stays gone while the set is on. Maybe 20% of the times I turn it on, the discoloration is there and stays until I turn it off.

My suspicion is that the degaussing circuitry does not get it quite right every time, and I'm wondering if you are seeing the same. I'd have a service guy out to check the degausser, but Murphy's law is that it would be the the 80% state that day! Besides, the effect at its worst is not noticable on normal color progamming.

BTW -- when you moved it to the floor, how long was it off before you turned it on while on the floor in the "yellow" postition? If less than 10 min, it likely did not degauss for the new magnetic environment.

Phil
post #188 of 918 Old 01-16-2003, 07:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Beckster13,

If I were you, I would not be waiting for the Avia disk to correct this problem. I would call CC or Sony or Both immediately and get those guys to make a service call. Where did you buy your 40XBR?

This problem deserves a Sony Service Tech to check it out and fix the problem. The problem does sound more like a "magnetic" thing, and Phil could be dead on target in regards to the degaussing. Whatever it is, you should have the Sony Tech guy fix it pronto, and this is what warranties are for. While you're at it, have the tech check for the white line thing too.
post #189 of 918 Old 01-16-2003, 07:34 AM

Quote:

hmm, good point... i've never seen this phenomenon before until i moved to my NYC apartment so maybe it's my location. even on my old panasonic 27" though the left side of my screen (much more than w/the 34XBR800) would just randomly turn green or purple in the middle of the movie or video game. it was visible whenever certain colors or pure white was on the screen.

Quote:

The service manual actually suggests aligning the picture tube in an East-West orientation while performing service for best results.

man, you have got to be kidding me... does that mean from left to right is east-west, or back to front? my tube is roughly facing east right now...

Quote:

When you say "fading in and out ocassionally" do you mean you can sit and watch it coming and going?

yes, just before my very eyes. while watching the corner will suddenly turn green, stay that way for maybe a minute or two, then slowly fade back to normal. much less bothersome than on my old set, but it still happens. doesn't seem to be much dependent on when the set was turned on or off.

Quote:

when you moved it to the floor, how long was it off before you turned it on while on the floor in the "yellow" postition?

yes, in fact i was moving the set while it was on, and observed the color change in action. i tried cycling the power a few times but didn't seem to help much. i probably had to leave it there longer, but i was afraid the field might damage the set permanently. i guess it was a floor beam or something, dunno. it really was a matter of just a few inches.
post #190 of 918 Old 01-16-2003, 07:46 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

yes, just before my very eyes. while watching the corner will suddenly turn green, stay that way for maybe a minute or two, then slowly fade back to normal. much less bothersome than on my old set, but it still happens. doesn't seem to be much dependent on when the set was turned on or off.

yes, in fact i was moving the set while it was on, and observed the color change in action. i tried cycling the power a few times but didn't seem to help much. i probably had to leave it there longer, but i was afraid the field might damage the set permanently. i guess it was a floor beam or something, dunno. it really was a matter of just a few inches.

Good question re E-W. My screen is facing South.

Since yours is varying as you watch it, that is not what I am observing. Makes me wonder if there is some moving mass of metal (e.g., elevator) nearby or some magnetic device that is turning on and off (e.g., refrigerator). I have no idea how close something must be to have an effect.

If you move the set without then degaussing, you can expect the purity to be affected. One poster with a 36XBR800 (I think) had it working fine and then installed it into a niche near or above a fireplace and turned it on: Lots of discoloration. But he then left it off for 10 minutes or so and when turned back on the problem was solved. Apparently these sets are very affected by local and the Earth's magnetic fields -- and the ambient earth field is shaped by any nearby ferromagnetic material.

Phil
post #191 of 918 Old 01-16-2003, 07:52 AM
AVS Special Member

We just had a PERFECT LIFTOFF at the Cape!!!! Yippppeeee!
post #192 of 918 Old 01-16-2003, 09:02 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Originally posted by cajieboy
We just had a PERFECT LIFTOFF at the Cape!!!! Yippppeeee!

Good grief! I thought this thread had been wandering off topic (vs. its title) but the last message has been a "liftoff" to new heights of OT

Phil
post #193 of 918 Old 01-16-2003, 10:17 AM

My 34XBR800 has the vertical bar. I emailed this thread to the service tech at Myer-Emco (probably the leading A/V store in DC), who said that Sony is well aware of the problem AND IS REPLACING THE DVI TUNERS (or whatever you call them). He also said that he had done one the fixes on Saturday, but that the replacement part was also defective.

He didn't seem to put much stock in gashog's fix through the service menu. I don't know why.
post #194 of 918 Old 01-16-2003, 11:25 AM

the problem has nothing to do with the DVI port, it happens on component input as well. i'm not sure the guy you talked to is fully aware of what's going on.
post #195 of 918 Old 01-16-2003, 11:35 AM
Advanced Member

i got the fix from someone else in this thread, dont want to take someone credit. well i dont care how much stock he has in it, the fix worked for me. i have learned one thing from dealing with sony and service shops ITS HARD GETTING A STRAIT ANSWER! imoa i think sony tells there service reps and support people to be hush hush about problems they are having. thank god for this forum or i would still be watching that bar go across my screen and i might have thrown something at the tv by now. because theres nothing worse to me than a broken tv that i paid $2300 for!
post #196 of 918 Old 01-16-2003, 11:59 AM

cajieboy-

Again, you are probably right. I will call Sony soon to have someone look at my 40XBR800. As for the cause, I have no idea what is in the walls behind my TV. However, I think it is actually something with the TV though, since the slight blur/discoloration appears quite evenly on the left and right sides of the screen; probably extends about 5-6 inches from the sides.

I bought my TV on-line at www.soundseller.com, so I would guess my only option is to call Sony for a service rep visit.

Here's a silly (newbie?) question about the vertical bars this thread is about. I don't have any HDTV input on my TV yet. If I were to have a service call, could he test to see if my TV has the vertical bar problem since I don't have any HDTV programming yet? Might as well take care of both problems at once.

-Beckster
post #197 of 918 Old 01-17-2003, 10:26 AM

Liked: 11
The fix works great, thank you!

Took me awhile to get around to it, the "problem" I could only see why viewing a dark screen in between channel changes.

Tom
post #198 of 918 Old 01-22-2003, 03:04 PM

check out this thread

Service manual anyone?

IT WASN'T MY FAULT, I SWEAR TO GOD!
post #199 of 918 Old 01-26-2003, 11:10 AM

Liked: 13
My 40XBR800 was manufactured in November.
I have not decided on which STB to purchase yet
however I have a convergence issue( bowing down of the
right horizontal cross hatch line using AVIA, test patterns,
widescreen enhanced.Color is bleeding into the picture
about an inch in on the right,both top and bottom.)
I purchased this set thru Audio King (Ultimate Electronics)
in MLPS.
It seems to make sense to me to perform the "FIX" at that
visit but will they be able to confirm or will I need to wait
until I purchase my STB to observe if I have a problem?
post #200 of 918 Old 01-26-2003, 04:17 PM

Is there a fix for the KV 34XBR2. My set has had this problem since I purchased it in the beginning of 2002.Good guys replaced the Sony HD100 3 times and the TV twice to no avail?
post #201 of 918 Old 01-26-2003, 06:37 PM
AVS Special Member

ghostdog4

You mentioned that your 40XBR was mfg. in November. Who do you know the date? I'd like to find out the mfg. on my Sony. Thanks.
post #202 of 918 Old 01-26-2003, 09:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by cajieboy
You mentioned that your 40XBR was mfg. in November. Who do you know the date? I'd like to find out the mfg. on my Sony. Thanks.

Look on the back of your TV ... all kinds of good info there. Take a look at where your set was manufactured too ...
post #203 of 918 Old 01-27-2003, 12:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Thanks dt_dc, this beast is quite heavy, so I'll have to wait until a strong armed volunteer comes over to give me a hand at pulling the TV out of the corner! So far, no problems w/the 40XBR, just beautiful PQ. Yesterday evening I got a BIG positive reminder of just why I plunked down my bucks on this tube....High Definition Super Bowl!!!!!!!! WOW!!!
post #204 of 918 Old 01-29-2003, 09:54 PM

Hello. I'm grateful for the information on this thread. This problem was driving me crazy. I have a 34XBR800 manufactured in November. I've set my Comcast Motorola 5100 and Zenith HDV420 STB to 720P as a work-around until my set is fixed or replaced.

I got a brief look at the Sony service bulletin. The event ID is E18728143. This may help you when contacting Sony's service department.

The service menu changes did not fix the problem. The tech who came to the house and the Sony tech he spoke to on the telephone did not seem confident that the replacement board would fix the problem. Instead of taking that chance, I'm trying to get a replacement set manufactured in January.
post #205 of 918 Old 01-30-2003, 02:38 PM

>The service menu changes did not fix the problem. The tech who came to the house and the Sony tech he spoke to on the telephone did not seem confident that the replacement board would fix the problem.

I had the same issue - the service menu fix did not help at all. The local repair guy was out last Friday and replaced the board and applied numerous service menu adjustments in addition to the HDPT item. The set is now flawless.
post #206 of 918 Old 02-08-2003, 03:56 PM

I just got a HD receiver this week (Hughes E86) so I just discovered that my 40XBR800 had this problem. Add me to the list of people who were able to simply fix it with the service menu setting. I did also notice the brightness shift. I'll go check it with Avia, but I'm not sure that will help me as this could be something that only affects the brightness when it's in 1080i. Not sure.

Thanks gang!

Chris
post #207 of 918 Old 02-09-2003, 07:18 PM

Well - The Sony guy who took three weeks to show up spent all of 5 minutes looking at my KV-36hs500. I told him I had information from this forum but he wasn't hearing any of it. Instead he said he needed to order a new board and it would take three more weeks to get.
So the positive note is the Sony guy seemed to know what was wrong.
The bad note is the six weeks it will take to (hopefully) fix.
post #208 of 918 Old 02-11-2003, 07:01 AM

Guys I'm at my wits end! I have a Sony 40"XBR800 with the dreaded verticle white bar scrolling from right to left. I have called Sony and they dispatched a tech out four times, which he was unable to fix. He did the software fix and replaced the B board with no success. He has reported back to Sony that the TV is back to factory Specs, NOT!!!! He is the only Sony authorized tech locally to me. Sony will not do anything more because according to the tech it is fix and it is not. I can not send the TV back because the place I purchased the TV has a no return policy. I have been dealing with this issue for four months. I am so upset at this point I do not know what else I can do. I still have the verticel scrolling bar and no where to turn. Does anybody here have a contatct or possibly a tech that they know that has addressed the issue that I could get in contatct with. Any help I would gladly asppreciate. Between the Sony TV and the HD-200 is going to be the death of me!!!

TIA
post #209 of 918 Old 02-11-2003, 08:18 AM

Just curious if the "B" board is the same as the DVI tuner?

TIA
post #210 of 918 Old 02-14-2003, 09:46 PM

Does anybody know the affected serial number range on the 34XBR800? I'm trying to exchange my November 2002 set for a unit with the fix. Supposedly, Sony corrected this problem sometime in December.

I got through to a level 2 support tech at Sony today but he could not tell me when a set was manufactured based on the serial number. Nor could he tell me the serial number range for this bug. Nor could he give me the date when this was fixed in the manufacturing process.
Reply Direct View (single tube) CRT Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page