US market Loewe crt.....should i get it? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 10-09-2015, 12:41 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Question US market Loewe crt.....should i get it?

Recently i was browsing Craigslist and came across a brand of tv i never realized was sold in the united states. Its a Loewe (no idea how to pronounce it lol) model ARC 332 PB (a2300 chassis) 60Hz Pro-Scan crt set. The seller states its a 1080p (i kinda doubt it) capable set that they paid around 2 grand for when it was new and they want $40 dollars for it and its about a 1.5 hour drive from where i live. Part of me is very interested in it but i am very limited one spare cash and space and would like to be sure that it would suit my needs before taking the plunge. ive been wanting a scart enabled set for playing older consoles in RGB for a while now and there aren't any PVM's or BVM's around my area. i know that most loewe sets have a very good philips branded tube in them and usually have a SCART socket equiped but of course these were all foreign models. I asked the seller for a picture of the rear connections and was surprised to see a VGA port along with one set of component jacks and a bunch of s video and composite jacks but no SCART. I guess what im wondering is:

A. is there a chance that this us model set (it is infact German made)has an unpopulated scart space on the pcb where i could solder one in (im good with a soldering iron )

B. if that dosent work is there a possibility that this set would accept a scart signal through the VGA connector and sync properly at the 15 point whatever KHz rate since its a tv? (i know a lot of computer monitors wont)

C. If im not able to do some clever nerdy hackery and make something work with rgb/scart are these good all around tvs in terms of picture quality ect?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 10-22-2015, 02:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 19
I've always wanted a Loewe TV, even if I am 15 years too late. If you didn't pick it up, do you know if its still available?
post #3 of 3 Old 12-01-2015, 04:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Speaking of Loewe, this ad just popped up in the D/FW area:

http://dallas.craigslist.org/mdf/ele/5338789975.html

Looks in pretty good shape, 32", and claims to be digital. Doesn't appear to be one of the widescreen models though unless the pics are goofy (I've seen pics of 4:3 TVs that make them look like their widescreen so...).

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Direct View (single tube) CRT Displays