Samsung's new TXN series thoughts? - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 280 Old 05-30-2003, 09:33 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
JakeJ, if or when you try it, I'd like to know whether or how well the 3098 accepts DVI from a PC's DVI-I output such as those on some of the latest ATI Radeon video cards?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 280 Old 05-30-2003, 10:11 AM

Teeh,

I don't have a video card with DVI out or I would give it a try. I have the Zenith SAT520 that has DVI out and was wondering if I would see an improvement over the component output.

Jake
post #93 of 280 Old 05-31-2003, 05:03 PM

I have a DCT5100 for my (Houston) TimeWarner cable and a TXN3071. When I watch, say, ABC in high def, it looks like the picture isn't "fitting" on my TV. The bottom-most and right-most part of the picture are clearly missing. HD is passed to the TV as 1080i. It's not clear to me if this affects all the HD channels or just some of them but I think all the content from HBO and PBS is correct. Do any of you have suggestions about what might be up?
post #94 of 280 Old 05-31-2003, 05:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Just need to make some adjustments to your TV. I've got the TXN2771, so the menus should be the same. Using the remote, tune to your ABC hi-def channel (313), turn off the TV, press MUTE-1-8-2, then power back on. You should see both the ABC signal (in Normal size) and the service menu.

Go to the "1080i Offset" menu, and play with the various Horizontal and Vertical settings. When you get the image positioned where you want it, power off and back on.

You may find that you need to make similar adjustments for your other input sources as well.

Jim
post #95 of 280 Old 05-31-2003, 05:33 PM

Thanks! It's much improved now. I'm surprised it was that out of whack out of the box...
post #96 of 280 Old 06-01-2003, 08:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Glad I could help!

I had to make the same adjustment for 480p (non-HDTV) signals from the DCT5100, and through the "Deflection" menu for DVD signals. I can sort of understand why they have separate menus for separate inputs (though it's annoying to have to cycle the TV on and off repeatedly, since you can't change inputs while the service menu is up), but I don't understand why they named them the way they did (Deflection vs. 480p/1080i).

Anyway, you might want to play around in that service menu (but be careful what you change). I don't know if your TV model has a dual-tuner, but even if it doesn't, you can turn on P-I-P from the service menu, and use the built-in tuner plus a composite input to get your two pictures. I don't think I'll ever really use that feature, but it's fun to know I can play with it.

There are some different sound features you can enable/disable from the menu, too.

There's some video enhancement feature my TV doesn't have, and I tried to turn it on from the menu (forget what it's called...DVEi or something like that maybe), and that was a mistake. The TV wouldn't power up after that--the TV was in an endless cycle where the screen would "blip" and power off, then try to power on again, and repeat. I was able to get back into the service menu (it powered up into that mode just fine) and turn it back off, which fixed the problem, but I was a little worried for a second. Haven't played much with it since then!

Jim
post #97 of 280 Old 06-01-2003, 11:09 AM

Howdy Gang,

I took the leap last week and bought a display and receiver at Sears.

The display is a 16:9 Samsung TXN3071WHF. At a list price of $949, I have been quite pleased with the unit so far, with 2 "nit- pick" exceptions. Neither has been a "deal-breaker" for me:

1) The speakers are in need of a little low end boost even after tweaking the internal EQ. I think I'll eventually add a simple little PC-type subwoofer to enhance the low end.

2) With a 4:3 picture, there is a slight curve in the top right side of the vertical raster edge. In other words, if you thought of the left and right sides of the 4:3 frame as the vertical members of a goal post, the left post would be perfectly straight, but the right post would have a slight curve, to the right, in the top 25% of the post. I haven't putzed around with the brightness and contrast settings too much yet to see if I can effect the amount of the "curve".

My receiver is the Sears Sylvania model SRZ3000. List price is $349 and it has only recently been available from Sears. So far, I've been quite impressed with its auto program abilities and features.

JRS

John R. Schilberg
VP Technology
Griffin Communications
post #98 of 280 Old 06-01-2003, 11:15 AM
AVS Special Member

You, too, might want to try playing with the various settings in the service menu. There are a variety of settings that can affect the display geometry, and you may be able to use them to correct the curvature you see.

Unfortunately, I don't know of a resource that explains exactly what each setting does, so I don't know how to systematically attack a problem like yours. Trial and error is the best I can offer.

Jim
post #99 of 280 Old 06-01-2003, 11:47 AM

jschilberg, please give a complete review of that new Sylvania OTA HD STB if you could. What outputs does it provide and does it have any configurable modes for stretching/zooming of 4:3 programming on HD channels?
post #100 of 280 Old 06-02-2003, 08:45 PM
BK7

alright i think tommrow i may go over to my local tweeters wich the samsung website says should have the txn3098 and take the plunge. ive been shopping for a tv for a smaller bed room in my house for well over a year and a half, this samsung for the prcie and reviews its gotten seems like a great deal. im only planning on having the tv maybe 2 years tops, my surround sound system i will be using with it will be shared by a pc. ill post a review of how the set looks wioth a comupter hooked up to it. ill be using the tv for mostly dvd viewing some gaming and i will be going over to my local time warner cable compnay and picking up my new hdtv digital cable box soon to. ill post reviews of everything if all goes well. what i will need however is a new prgressive scan dvd player. anybody got any suggestions? i dont realy want a bargain player but i dont want to shell out a ton of money. im a little anal about pq just to keep that in mind. thanks guys for helping me make this final descion....
post #101 of 280 Old 06-03-2003, 03:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Maybe I misunderstand, and you're looking for the DVD player for a different room and/or TV, but if you're going to have the PC hooked up to the Samsung, have you considered using the PC as your DVD player?

Might be better to start a new thread for that discussion.

Jim
post #102 of 280 Old 06-05-2003, 04:20 PM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 16
Well
I just ordered the TXN3098.
Sharp looking set. I wont have it for a week so that gives me time to read through this thread to learn of any short comings and fixes from you guys.

Thanks!
post #103 of 280 Old 06-05-2003, 05:01 PM - Thread Starter

hey alan, Once you get it be sure to post what you think about it! I'm really anxious to hear what it's like!
post #104 of 280 Old 06-11-2003, 03:39 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Alan Gouger
Well
I just ordered the TXN3098.
Sharp looking set. I wont have it for a week so that gives me time to read through this thread to learn of any short comings and fixes from you guys.

Thanks!
Hi Alan,

Where did you order it from, and what kind of price did you get? Any chance of a group buy?

THANKS!

David
post #105 of 280 Old 06-11-2003, 03:00 PM

I just bought a 3245, and I've been tweaking the heck out of the geometry, but I have a problem I still can't seem to fix, and I was wondering if anyone might have a suggestion for a cure. The picture sags in the middle near the top of the TV. For example, the DirecTV banner display is lower in the middle than on the sides. The geometry isn't perfect but the problems are virtually unnoticeable with the exception of this. I've changed everything in the deflection menu, but nothing helps. It's as though I need a V Parabola menu option, but there's only an H Parabola menu option.

Thanks in advance for any help/suggestions you can provide.
post #106 of 280 Old 06-11-2003, 04:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Any chance you've got a center channel speaker sitting on top of the TV cabinet that could be causing the distortion?

I haven't noticed a Degauss option in the service menu, but if you can find one, try that. Otherwise, I'm outta ideas.
post #107 of 280 Old 06-11-2003, 05:09 PM

this is the third post i've read about bad geometry on the new samsung TXN line in 2 days. maybe there's a larger problem at work here.

i've been called ugly, fugly, pugly, pug fugly, but never UGLY ugly!
post #108 of 280 Old 06-11-2003, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by jruhnke
Any chance you've got a center channel speaker sitting on top of the TV cabinet that could be causing the distortion?

I haven't noticed a Degauss option in the service menu, but if you can find one, try that. Otherwise, I'm outta ideas.
Thanks for the suggestion. It's not discoloration like I've seen with speaker interference before, and moving the center channel doesn't help. I unplugged the TV for awhile, hoping that it would degauss itself (some other tubes I've owned and seen have the unplug/degauss feature), but again nothing changed.

Guess I may try to swap for another, though I really don't want to go through all the trouble...
post #109 of 280 Old 06-11-2003, 08:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by keith1229
this is the third post i've read about bad geometry on the new samsung TXN line in 2 days. maybe there's a larger problem at work here.
Maybe so, but this is the first one I've heard of that couldn't be solved through the digital equivalent of twisting a couple of knobs.

Maybe you think you shouldn't have to go to the service menu to adjust the geometry out of the box, and maybe you're right. But hey, I bought pretty much *the* cheapest 1080i HDTV I possibly could. If I have to spend 5 minutes of initial setup time fiddling with it to make the picture fit the screen, my opinion is, "Big whoop".

Now if I had seen an uncorrectable geometry problem like goldbean is suffering with, I'd be quite a bit less satisfied.

Jim
post #110 of 280 Old 06-12-2003, 10:45 AM

i have no problem messing with the service menu, as long as it works!!!! i spent 2 hours doing all i could to fix it, but fixing one thing threw something else out of whack, and i was QUITE careful and meticulous to make sure i didn't miss anything. i'd hate to see someone buy a TV that MAYBE is flawed. MAYBE.
i have a service tech coming tomorrow. i will watch what he does and try to relay back here anything i can pick up from him.

post #111 of 280 Old 06-15-2003, 02:01 PM

I have the txn3245 and I have the same problem, sagging in the middle. I have tried everything and nothing works. The geometry on it is terrible. I calibrated it with the avia test pattern and got it to a decent shape but it is not perfect. I also have the overscan bounce problem as well. I had the txn 2745 before this and it didn't seem to have these problems. Let us know what the service tech says. I was looking in vents in the back of the tv and it looks like the power supply is missing about 12 components. They are silkscreened on the board where they should be but not there. It would be interesting to find out if the 3275 has these components that would explain the overscan bounce then.
post #112 of 280 Old 06-15-2003, 03:32 PM

well, the tech came to my house....AND TOOK MY TV FOR SERVICE!!!! I HAVE NO T.V!
no t.v. and no beer make keith ... something,something...
The tech said it could be a # of problems, but because the TV was so new he would have to take it to the shop. since i got this tv direct from samsung, i can't "return" it (unless i ship it back to Korea. a tad pricey i imagine).

when i get it back i'll let y'all know what was wrong with it. maybe it'll help you too.

post #113 of 280 Old 06-16-2003, 10:12 AM

would the 3275 be considered any less of a tv than the 3075? by the numbering scheme it would seem to be the same with a slightly larger screen size.

the cost doesn't seem much more and I am just trying to maximize that screen real estate!

by the way, how tall is the screen on the 3075 (and the 3275 if anyone knows), I would like to be able to hold that size up against my current 32 incher just to get an idea of the size it would present in the living room.
post #114 of 280 Old 06-16-2003, 10:18 AM

Oh jeez, nevermind, I really need to pay more attention. Just realized the difference in the 3275 and 3075.

Anyway, the question still stands, anybody know the screen height of the 3075?
post #115 of 280 Old 06-16-2003, 10:43 AM
AVS Special Member

jspratley since you've had it in your home for a bit I'd like to know whether in spite of the issues you're happy having a 1080 set or if at this point you'd trade it for a non-hidef set w/none of the problems you've had?

I imagine I'm not the only one vicariously following your experience and waiting to decide whether to pick one up or not.

Cheers,

the sticky is about my crappy blues pickin'...
post #116 of 280 Old 06-16-2003, 02:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by rexdart

Anyway, the question still stands, anybody know the screen height of the 3075?
http://www.cavecreations.com/tv2.cgi
post #117 of 280 Old 06-16-2003, 07:03 PM

Thank you Hiker, I appreciate that.
post #118 of 280 Old 06-17-2003, 01:18 PM

I think I have a pretty good view of these sets now that I have had several days to evaluate them and having had the 27" and 32". Heres what I can sum up so far about them:

DVD: No contest here the samsungs are hands down better than my analog tv. I hooked them up side by side and the scan lines were very visible on the analog. The colors were richer and the picture was much sharper on the samsung. For example in gladiator the medals on the uniforms are blurry and you can't really tell what the design is on them with the analog. On the samsung the detail is clear and you can see what the design is. I am using a non-progressive scan dvd player and I could see no interlacing whatsoever so the line doubler seems to do a good job. The vertical compression is also a big factor giving the proper proportions and not losing resolution on the black bars.

Xbox- All the xbox games look better. The picture is smoother, brighter, and sharper. I tried running dragons lair at 1080i and it looks great.

Gamecube- Looks good.

PS2- The ps2 games look much sharper and more detailed as well but I noticed more jaggies than on my analog.

HDTV- 1080i looks amazing very detailed and clear with rich colors. Its hard to watch regular tv after hdtv.

Directv- Looked terrible out of the box. I was really disappointed in this part since I mostly watch directv and just upgraded my ultimate tv to 105 hours. However I got in the service menu and did some tweaking and now it looks pretty good. I turned vm and red push off. I turned something called band pass f and high pas f down to 0 it was set at 4. Not sure what it specifically is but when I turned it down the artifacting went away and the picture cleared up. I also adjusted something else that gave me a richer black but can't remember which one it was now. I also adjusted the contrast and brightness to 60 each. This seems to be the ideal setting for me in a lit room. In complete darkness maybe 50 would be good. I know a lot of people have said to turn the contrast down to 40 due to the overscan bounce issue but I just couldn't watch it at this setting. It was too dark and the whites were grey instead of white. I was also losing details in the shadows.

Geometry- I didn't notice any problems on the 27". On the 32" it is terrible but I believe its defective since one side of the picture is bowed. I adjusted the geometry settings and got it pretty good but its still flawed. The only time I notice it is when I bring up the directv guide or if a ticker tape is going across the bottom of the screen the words warp slightly on the bottom right corner. All of the geometry settings are symetrical. I would need a setting that would unbow just the right side to make it perfect but I believe mine is defective so this may not be an issue with the others.

Overscan bounce- Really didn't notice it on the 27". On the 32" it is more noticeable. I see it when I change the channels because the directv information band at the bottom of the screen will jump. I really don't notice it though when watching tv in the 4:3 mode unless I'm watching a channel that has a ticker tape at the bottom of the screen, the words jump up and down when the brightness changes. On widescreen material it seems fairly stable. It wil move a little but not really noticeable unless your looking for it. It does "jump" though if the screen goes completely black and then comes on white like at the end of a program. Maybe the power supply isn't putting out as much power as the full screen mode? This is with the 60 contrast 60 brightness setting. When I put it on dynamic picture mode the overscan bounce is much more noticeable then.

I would say the 27" is a great buy since I didn't notice any problems on it. For the 32" its harder to say. Assuming mine is defective then that would eliminate the geometry issue just leaving the overscan bounce issue. I'm probably going to have to watch it for another week or two to see how much of an issue it is. I looked through the slots on the back of my tv and on the power supply there are about 12 components that are identified but not there. I checked the 3275 at circuit city and it is missing these components as well so it would seem that the $999 model has the same power supply.
post #119 of 280 Old 06-18-2003, 02:55 PM

I have not posted any additional comments since my first day with the 3098. Reason - the set had a problem holding a picture to the full screen. I don't know the correct term but the entire picture would squeeze to half the screen. It was very erratic and would bounce up and down. At times the picture would be perfect except for the "over-scan bounce" that everyone seems to have with the Samsung's.

Samsung put me in contact with a repair shop and a tech was sent to my house. He concluded that something was "loose" by banging on the set's housing. When he did this the picture would behave as described above. We pulled the set down, he opened it up, and began to solder one of the main circuit boards. Great. To make a long story shorter, he could not "fix" the problem and wanted to take it to his shop. I said hold up while I call the place of purchase (which I should have done from the start.) Anyway, they (a B&M shop) offered to replace the set within two days as opposed to 2 weeks at the repair shop.

So far so good with the second 3098, though geometry is really poor and it has the over-scan bounce problem. Will adjusting the geometry help with the bounce? I just received the AVIA disk from Amazon and will take some time this weekend to try it out. I have one question about the AVIA disk and the 3098. Will making the adjustments with 480p on Component 2 affect the 1080i settings on Component 1? I am using a Zenith Sat520 in 1080i mode.

Thanks.
post #120 of 280 Old 06-18-2003, 03:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by JAKEJ
Will making the adjustments with 480p on Component 2 affect the 1080i settings on Component 1? I am using a Zenith Sat520 in 1080i mode.
Y'know, that's a good point. I think you're only able to make adjustments to the display mode that corresponds to the input signal you're looking at. For instance, I can only change 1080i settings when I'm sending a 1080i signal to the component input, and have that input selected on the TV.

Unless you've got a device between the DVD player and the TV that can upconvert 480p to 1080i, you'll probably not be able to use a DVD to calibrate the TV's 1080i mode. Don't guess I'd really thought about that before.

Jim
Closed Thread Direct View (single tube) CRT Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page