Monivision 32” wide 16:9 CRT $775 Sale ends JULY 27th. - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 05-28-2003, 05:01 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I just got mine in, box was in fine condition. But I have this eerie feelings its deader than a doorknob.

1.) Unpackaged it and set it on my floor
2.) Pulled out the manuals and read through them (yes despite being a male I ACTUALLY did this)
3.) Pulled out my Toshiba DVD player a set of audio cables and a set of component cables. Plugged it all in, fired up the DVD player. Turned on the monitor and.....nothing.

4)I figured I must be drunk, or my cables are bad. Pulled the kids Emerson DVD player outta the cabinet, plugged in the composite cabling this time and.........nothing.

5.) Said, well hell Matt, its a PC monitor, it must need PC input to get it going. Walk over to my Soldam Pandora (Shuttle SV-24), set its resolution to 800 X 600 X 60Hz, plugged it in and........nothing.

Was there some magical trick to this guys? The monitor will not take any input from the remote control (tried 2 sets of batteries just to be sure they were not dead.) I hit the PC/TV/AV button, nothing, power button, nothing.

All I have is a sexy black 32" brick in my living room right now, the green LED comes on indicating power, but I get nothing outside of that. Is it dead for sure? If so I guess I gotta call Monivision and take advantage of that warranty :)

**** UPDATE****

Its alive! This thing sure is picky about its power cord. Changed that out, fired right up. Figured it might be something worth keeping in mind in case you guys have the same issue :)

Now back to the pleasure!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-28-2003, 08:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
I had what one could descibe as a shimmer on the screen tonight. It went away after I messed around with it for a bit but what would cause the shimmer.
Old 05-28-2003, 08:52 PM

Hello M.S.,

I am glad to hear that you had the exact same problem as I do. When I turn it on, the only thing that happens is I can get the power light to go from red to green. That's it. No nothing on the display. The only thing the remote will do is to change the power indicator light from red to green and back again.

So tell me about what kind of power cord you used to fix the problem?

Thank you,
Paul
Old 05-28-2003, 09:23 PM

automagic,

Well, I know this is gonna sound silly, but I stole the power cord off my Shuttle, swapped em around. The Shuttle runs fine (considering its like a 150W PS, the power draw is minimal).

Use a very beefy cord, the one that came with mine for some reason just wasn't up to par.

If that doesn't work automagic, I'd double check my power cable again, since once I did that, it fired right up. Make sure its plugged in properly, when it is, you should hear the speakers pop and come to life, thats how I knew it was in good and tight and everything was hummin by the time I got around to the front of the monitor :)

Now I'm busy re-arranging my stuff. I got a RCA Directv reciever, Pioneer 711 shoved into my Sony stand and I got a cherry wood stand next to it holding my Toshiba DVD player :) The HTPC is going to be a Chili Pro 1/4" mATX case with either a mATX P4 or mATX AMD system. Basically, it works and I'm as happy as I think I've ever been with a A/V purchase. I loved my 40H80, but this thing just fits perfectly in my small basement and it has anything and everything I'll need in terms of inputs, and flexibility.

Thanks again to the wonderful staff @ AVS for the deal, thanks to Jason for hooking me up and keeping me informed about shipment information. If you guys are on the fence about this deal, stop waiting, its a can't pass up offer.
Old 05-28-2003, 10:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Little more of a update on my shimmering problem. It only happens at 720p for some reason. The shimmering will corrupt all the text on my screen too.
Old 05-29-2003, 01:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
stgdz,

Check your contrast/brightness settings for your monitor as well as for your video card. They may have been set too high, thus causing the shimmering effect. If you adjust the settings lower, it should go away.
Old 05-29-2003, 04:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Found a message last night from the trucking company looking to set up delivery. Only placed the order last Monday...great service! :)

Jack Gilvey
SVS Customer Service

Old 05-29-2003, 08:24 AM
AVS Special Member

hmm, I have heard contrast and brightness settings are set to high on TV's from the factory. I am just worried about nuking my TV I guess. I am starting to wonder if it is the graphics card though.

edit-If I drop it to 1024x768 the shimmering goes away.
Old 05-29-2003, 08:43 AM

What type of video card are you using? If you have an ATI Radeon, this thread may be of some help:

http://www.rage3d.com/radeon/reg/index5.shtml

Or you could download Rage3d Tweak to adjust the video. Maybe the card isn't putting out the correct frequency...
Old 05-29-2003, 09:39 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally posted by Jack G
Found a message last night from the trucking company looking to set up delivery. Only placed the order last Monday...great service! :)
Excellent.I ordered mine on the same day so they should be in Michigan shortly.
Old 05-29-2003, 11:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by The Canuck
What type of video card are you using? If you have an ATI Radeon, this thread may be of some help:

http://www.rage3d.com/radeon/reg/index5.shtml

Or you could download Rage3d Tweak to adjust the video. Maybe the card isn't putting out the correct frequency...
I have a GF2 pro rite now but I think I may head to Best Buy tonight and pick up a 9200.
Old 05-29-2003, 05:42 PM

Thanks M.S. in Ohio,

I replaced my power cord with a $2 generic computer power cord and now I have a picture. I have my dish reciever hooked up to it by composite and there is a lot of snow in the picture. I know, composite isn't the best connection, but it looked waaaaay better on the el cheapo tv I had before.
Is anyone getting a decent or maybe even good picture using the composite connection?

Thanks,
Paul
Old 05-29-2003, 10:56 PM
AVS Special Member

The Monivision 30" 16:9 monitor while not without it's flaws is a good value. The quality of the tube is evident while viewing 1280x720p 60hz HD material. The color balance is exceptional. The contrast is good while blacks stay black and whites pop where expected. A little phosphor ghosting is present, but not much more than would be expected for a consumer CRT.

Th two problem area I've identified so far are the out of control black level on composite input and the strange but understandable aspect ratio control mechanism, but the S-Video and Component Video (progressive and interlaced) is behaving as expected with regard to black level and peak white level.

Note: the aspect ratio control is a scan geometry control rather than a digital aspect ratio control that may be found on some other HDTV sets. This is not all that unexpected considering the computer monitor origins of the display. This is a very good thing since the display is not trying to "sugar coat" any bad resolutions or timings... All in all, what you see is what you present. Joe Kane would be less than displeased. :)

Overall, a good set for the money. But, Monivision should think about releasing an HDTV tuner at some point to compliment this great tube.
Old 05-30-2003, 04:37 AM

Could someone enlighten me on the "stretch" modes for this television? Does it have such a thing since it is basically a wide monitor? or do you have to basically fiddle with it to get it set up right?

I am considering this monitor, it sounds really nice, but it has to be simple enough for my girlfriend to use, and she wont be able to go in and adjust things just to watch tv.

Thanks!
Old 05-30-2003, 04:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
strange but understandable aspect ratio control mechanism, but the S-Video and Component Video (progressive and interlaced) is behaving as expected with regard to black level and peak white level.
Thanks for your observations, Joe, can you expound a bit on these points?
I'm getting delivery today, and don't plan on ever using composite input. It'll be Xbox and HDTV via component and PC via VGA. Basically, I don't care about 4:3 behavior, just quality on these inputs.

Jack Gilvey
SVS Customer Service

Old 05-30-2003, 06:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Bill it has a stretch method. We watch all our 4:3 content in 16:9
Old 05-30-2003, 07:02 AM

One more thing to those that have these. Just how flat is the screen. I am looking for something that looks very flat, I can deal with a SLIGHT amount of curvature, but I dont want a round screen. How does this compare to say a samsung 30" in the flatness department? This sounds like a good deal to me, but the g/f wants a flat screen, so i am sure i can slide this by if it is pretty flat.

Of course, I really want to talk her into the 42" rptv, but she does not think any tv should cost over 1000$ (and its only 1300!) ;)
Old 05-30-2003, 04:30 PM

Bill,

It's close to flat. It only has a slight amount of curvature that isn't all that noticable when you are watching a show. I was pleasantly surprised in that regard.

Paul
Old 05-30-2003, 05:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Just horsed mine up the steps into its room. Operating perfectly from the box, no power cord issues whatsoever. Can't really comment on picture quality since I don't have a decent source hooked up yet (no HDTV/PC in here), just wanted to make sure everything works. DVD via composite "video" input is not very good (anyone really expect it to be?), so don't bother if that's what you plan on using. A Dreamcast hooked up via the VGA input (yup!) looks surprizingly nice, though. The tweaking options and ease of adjustment put this set far beyond the consumer sets out there. I honestly wouldn't touch the Samsung with this deal going on.

Jack Gilvey
SVS Customer Service

Old 05-30-2003, 06:53 PM
AVS Club Gold

Now I'm getting anxious.I forgot about my poor old Dreamcast.
Old 05-31-2003, 06:46 AM
AVS Special Member

I think I've got a problem with my Vision Box. It keeps reverting to the VGA input after it's been on a while. The cable or video input just goes blank, won't even show what input is selected. Maybe a line-doubler problem, but I have no progressive signal to feed the component inputs to see if that's it. Hmm...

Jack Gilvey
SVS Customer Service

Old 06-01-2003, 05:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Still going on. Composite or cable feed play ok for a while then the set switches automatically to VGA. At that point it won't switch back. Gonna try tech support tomorrow. Anything else experiencing anything at all like this?

The old PC I hooked up was only able to give me an 800x600 resolution, not a widescreen one, but this is pretty useful for browsing from 6-7 ft. away. Don't know if I'd want much smaller, the text is getting a little fuzzy already.

Anyone try 720p HDTV yet, or 1280x720 res for PC games?

Jack Gilvey
SVS Customer Service

Old 06-01-2003, 04:31 PM

I've got the monitor hooked up to the VGA output of an AIW 7500 with the PC running XP. THe problem I am seeing is that the XP screensaver kicks in and shortly after that the monitor seems to lose sync. I can recover by shaking the mouse and then hitting the TV/PC/AV button.

What is the AUTO function that shows on the OSD? Can this be changed?

Sean
Old 06-01-2003, 06:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Been trying to figure that out myself, it doesn't show up in the manual for either the monitor or the vision box (outside of the context of programming cable channels).

I did pick up a really cheap Toshiba progressive player today (don't intend on keeping it) just to see if it made a difference, but the same thing happens. During the brief periods in which I was able to view the progressive component feed, the picture was amazing (although a bit "washed out" compared to the VGA pic...another vision box issue perhaps), and a huge leap from the composite feed.

Really can't wait to get this baby working full throttle. I actually have Comcast scheduled to install an HDTV STB on Tuesday, but I'll have to cancel if I can't get component to work.

I have played quite a bit of Dreamcast :) , and the color rendition of the set is stunning.

Jack Gilvey
SVS Customer Service

Old 06-03-2003, 11:45 AM
AVS Special Member

(Disclaimer: I'm an idiot.)

As it turns out, I didn't have the component-out switched to progressive (so the improvement I saw was just going from composite to component). Having done that, the picture is even better and, more importantly, is perfectly stable...no switching or going black. So, I've determined that the problem is with the internal line-doubler. Waiting for a call from tech support on that.
Another issue now that I can watch progressive DVD is that I can't get the OSD for hue, horizontal position, etc. to come up with this feed (no response to the remote buttons, like with VGA). I can get the other menu, the one for screen shape, audio options, etc., but not that one.

Jack Gilvey
SVS Customer Service

Old 06-03-2003, 11:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Yeah, the controls for progressive component and HD component are very limited. So limited that I'm having difficulty trying to properly center a progressive image on the screen. After trying different sources on the component input it seem that the black level on this input is set quite a bit too high. I'm pretty sure the service menu would allow some tweaking of the hor/vert size and position, black level, white level, etc. of the progressive component input, but it seems that Monivision doesn't provide this information to the consumer and it's next to impossible to find any service manuals for Monivision products. From my research, even repair shops have a tough time getting manuals from Monivision.

Maybe someone at AVScience can provide some hints as to what is needed to calibrate the component inputs. :confused:

Interlaced component signals do seem to have some user controls, but the internal line doubler should be avoided if possible. This makes the user controls for interlaced component less than useful.
Old 06-03-2003, 12:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
What's the big deal about component inputs? Please understand that the component inputs are part of the Vision Box which is itself an add-on module to the Monivision. Therefore, it is natural that controls for the Vision Box would be limited compared to the VGA inputs which are integral parts of the monitor.

Why watch DVD from a set-top box when you can do it from a HTPC and get far better picture quality? IMHO, that is where the Monivision really shines. With the combination of OSD, video card controls, and overlay controls, you get an infinite number of picture adjustment choices when using a HTPC as your primary entertainment center.

I use my Vision Box (S-video only) for maybe 5% of the time. That is usually when I am recording a TV show on my HTPC and want to watch another TV show on the Vision Box tuner.
Old 06-03-2003, 12:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Yeah, the controls for progressive component and HD component are very limited. So limited that I'm having difficulty trying to properly center a progressive image on the screen.
That's my big problem, the image is shifted way to the left.

Quote:
After trying different sources on the component input it seem that the black level on this input is set quite a bit too high.
Agreed.

Quote:
What's the big deal about component inputs? Please understand that the component inputs are part of the Vision Box which is itself an add-on module to the Monivision. Therefore, it is natural that controls for the Vision Box would be limited compared to the VGA inputs which are integral parts of the monitor.
Actually, I'd be happy to have the same controls for progressive component as there are for composite, cable, and interlaced component, even if those are themselves limited compared to VGA. With a progressive component input, you have access to less than any other input, no position, hue, brightness, etc. This is a big deal if you wish to use such an input (and I do choose to, no HTPC at the moment).
I also want HBO HD, which I don't know how to get without my cable company's STB and its component outputs. Can you get it with a HD card for a PC?

Jack Gilvey
SVS Customer Service

Old 06-03-2003, 03:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Here's how to get access to all the VGA controls for the progressive component input:

-power the set down

-from the controls on the front of the set, hit the "Power" button while holding down the "CH/SEL +" button. With the TV now on, hitting the "Menu" button will bring up the OSD with an extra option for "Picture" under which all the extra adjustments (the ones in the VGA menu) appear.

Apparently any changes will also affect the VGA mode and maybe the others. Should make this set easy to calibrate. On that note, would the "calibrated" values be transferable? If someone did calibrate one, could we all use the values, or is there that much variability among these things?

Seriously cool. :) Now this is a perfect set.

The very helpful tech didn't know why the line-doubler was FUBAR, but advised me to re-install the box. If that didn't do it, I should call for an RMA on the box.

Jack Gilvey
SVS Customer Service

Old 06-03-2003, 04:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
It automatically switches to the nearest active input when a feed is lost and is apparently "on" by default. To turn it off, hold down the "DISP" button on the remote until the "Auto loop" menu comes up. You can then toggle it on and off using the "Jump" button. Hit "DISP" again to get rid of the menu.

Jack Gilvey
SVS Customer Service