Computer Input for Sony HDTV CRTs - Page 5 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Closed Thread

post #121 of 149 Old 08-24-2003, 07:42 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Well I put the TV in SM and launched TT and the timings did not change even though the OSD from ffdshow is telling me I'm running TT at 1440x960. I had an idea that the res was not changing when I launched TT. Do I need to increase the res on the desktop before I launch TT and ffdshow and then scale down, for instance increase my desktop res to 1776x1000 and then launch TT and ffdshow and scale down to 1440x960? I thought the whole purpose of ffdshow was to increase the res to your desired output. Also, I read alot about the "Overlay." Can someone please explain what "Overlay" is and actually does?

TIA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #122 of 149 Old 08-24-2003, 10:48 AM - Thread Starter
ADU
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked: 164
If the TV stays at 720p, then your computer probably isn't changing screen modes as you'd like.

I'm pretty sure that there's a way in Powerstrip to assign different screen resolutions/timings to different applications. So if it's set up right, it may automatically switch to the new mode when you launch your DVD player program. I'm not exactly sure how this would work with the ATI dongle though. This is really more Karnis's turf.

I haven't really played around with application-specific Powerstip modes either. I'm still in the "manual switch" phase. :) If noone here can enlighten you further on this, then I'd recommend that you simply post a question to either Karnis' Powerstrip thread or the TheaterTek user forum asking if there are any special tricks involved in getting application-specific mode for TheaterTek working with the ATI dongle. I believe Karnis is the TheaterTek forum mod, and he's very dongle-savvy. So stuff like this should be a walk in the park for him.

ADU
post #123 of 149 Old 08-24-2003, 11:05 AM - Thread Starter
ADU
AVS Special Member

Also, if (for the time being) you just manually swicth to 1776x1000i, then I would think you'd want your DVD application to scale to precisely that resolution. I'm not the expert on this though.

To my simple mind, "overlay" is just a fancy term for the "window of video" when you play AVIs, DVDs, MPEG etc. There's a bit more to it than that though, because video "windows" aren't exactly like the other windows on yur desktop. :) In order to display video at a decent/constant frame rate, the OS and video card have to work together to basically punch a hole in the screen through all the other layers of graphical nonsense going on in the desktop. So the video windows/overlays have somewhat special properties, which need to be looked after. That's why you can get garbled video or crashes, if the video card drivers etc, aren't working correctly with your display. At least I think that's the way it works.

ADU
post #124 of 149 Old 08-24-2003, 11:36 AM

ADU again thanks always a great informational reply! Yea I tried the application profiles via PS and TT. When I launch TT the res would change accordingly but TT would not. I thought this was addressed in the latest patch for TT, but it did not fix the issue. I may try the command line w/ TT and see what type of results I get. I would really like a projector, but going to wait until we build a house, in the mean time will continue to plug along on this Sony XBR 800 :o
post #125 of 149 Old 09-09-2003, 07:49 AM

1152x648 (720p 16x9 No-Overscan)

PowerStrip timing parameters:
1152x648=1152,144,40,312,648,41,5,56,74160,3094

Generic timing details for 1152x648:
HFP=144 HSW=40 HBP=312 kHz=45 VFP=41 VSW=5 VBP=56 Hz=60

Linux modeline parameters:
"1152x648" 74.160 1152 1296 1336 1648 648 689 694 750 -hsync -vsync

Hi Matt,

Just bought a 40"XBR800 4:3 Tube TV it should work essentially the same as your KV32HS510.

Couple of questions please mind my ignorance I have been reading your posts but I know very little about this subject.

#1 What cable did you use to connect your TV a DVD-D link cable single or dual? What make?

#2 When using a 16:9 mode will the TV automatically detect it as a 16:9 source and switch to that mode?

#3 When you say no overscan in 16:9 mode do you mean the image fills the screen? I am looking for a resolution as close to 1024 X 768 as possible with no flicker and no overscan any suggestions?

#4 If you were buying a video card especially to output to a TV for this purpose what would you buy? Your Radeon 7500 is pretty cheap sounds like a good buy, but are there any drawbacks to using your method over the dongle which you need at least an 8500 for?

#5 Did you have to go into the TVs service mode to tweak for no overscan with the above resolution with this method?

Its nice to see someone with a similar TV getting the DVI input to work.
post #126 of 149 Old 09-12-2003, 10:51 AM - Thread Starter
ADU
AVS Special Member

Quote:
#1 What cable did you use to connect your TV a DVD-D link cable single or dual? What make?
A single-link DVI-D seems to work fine for 720p and 1080i modes. I think a dual-link would only be required if you want to do resolutions higher than 1080i, which most current HDTVs wouldn't support. Nevertheless, I will probably end up getting a dual-link anyway, because the price on the 5 meter cables are about the same as the signal-link. And it may be a bit more future-proof (for 1080p TVs, when they're available). Cables with ferrite cores/beads are probably best, but perhaps not necessary for short lengths.

I've never tried them myself, but Pacific Custom Cable seems to be one of the more popular online sources for these, FWIW.
Quote:
#2 When using a 16:9 mode will the TV automatically detect it as a 16:9 source and switch to that mode?
AFAIK, the 4:3 Sonys normally switch into VC1080i (letterboxed HD) whenever they receive a 720p or 1080i signal, regardless of it's resolution. The JUMP option in the service menu should allow you to undo this vertical compression, so you can see the HD modes fullscreen. It'd be nice if the TV was smart enough to swicth from one to the other based on the resolution, but that just isn't the case. You gotta choose which way you want it to display manually. If you want to use the TV with VC1080i on, then 16:9 resolutions like 960x540, 1280x720, or Matt's 1152x648 may work well. If you turn VC1080i off, then 4:3 modes like 960x720 may work well.
Quote:
#3 When you say no overscan in 16:9 mode do you mean the image fills the screen? I am looking for a resolution as close to 1024 X 768 as possible with no flicker and no overscan any suggestions?
What Matt probably meant was that the entire computer image should be visible in this mode: 1152x648 (720p 16x9 No-Overscan). However he may have been using this with VC1080i enabled so that it's 16:9 letterboxed, rather than fullscreen.
Quote:
#4 If you were buying a video card especially to output to a TV for this purpose what would you buy? Your Radeon 7500 is pretty cheap sounds like a good buy, but are there any drawbacks to using your method over the dongle which you need at least an 8500 for?
Whether to go with the dongle or DVI is pretty much a personal call. You just gotta weigh the risks and ease of implementation on both and decide which better suits you. If you want to keep yourself covered for both approaches, then one of the Radeon DVI-I cards which is dongle-compatible might not be a bad idea. With the right drivers, OS, etc. I think you ought to be able to get most of those other recent Radeons to work with the timings people have posted here. If you get a good return policy then you can just test it out, and send it back if it's a no-go.
Quote:
#5 Did you have to go into the TVs service mode to tweak for no overscan with the above resolution with this method?
My impression is that this mode worked pretty well, with little or no tweaking to the video's geometry on the TV, but I'm not really sure about that.

ADU
post #127 of 149 Old 10-19-2003, 03:33 PM - Thread Starter
ADU
AVS Special Member

Dan,

Here are a few examples of the kind of images I use to adjust convergence on my TV via my PC. (Select Image Alone in the AVSF Attachment Viewer to see them a little better.) When I want to do some converging, I just use patterns like these as the backdrop on my desktop, set to Tile like other Windows patterns. Or you could use the Tile feature in Photoshop to create a bitmap that's the size you need.

I try to use a display mode with a fairly square pixel aspect when using the dot patterns, but it probably isn't that critical. The only thing you're really looking for is red or blue fringing, in a horizontal direction from a few feet away from the screen (that's the way I do it anyway). I try to adjust the convergence until the pixels are as compact and sharp as possible, but usually there are compromises involved.

Also, like I was saying in the other thread, sometimes I just use a single white spot or the cursor and move it around the screen looking for fringing, while watching movies or against a black backdrop.

If you want dots or lines that are closer or farther spaced, then you create tiles that are larger or smaller in size. And since these have an RGB value of 255, there may be some risk of burn-in if they're left on screen too long. I use a screen-saver most of the time which is set to come on after a few minutes to protect against this.

Any use of these attachments is entirely at the user's own risk.

ADU
post #128 of 149 Old 10-19-2003, 03:35 PM - Thread Starter
ADU
AVS Special Member

Tile #1

Again, use Image Alone in the Attachment Viewer to better see these.
LL

ADU
post #129 of 149 Old 10-19-2003, 03:36 PM - Thread Starter
ADU
AVS Special Member

Tile #2
LL

ADU
post #130 of 149 Old 10-19-2003, 03:38 PM - Thread Starter
ADU
AVS Special Member

Tile #3
LL

ADU
post #131 of 149 Old 10-19-2003, 03:39 PM - Thread Starter
ADU
AVS Special Member

Tile #4
LL

ADU
post #132 of 149 Old 10-21-2003, 03:02 PM - Thread Starter
ADU
AVS Special Member

post #133 of 149 Old 01-31-2004, 07:03 PM - Thread Starter
ADU
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by sengsational
I'll admit to not reading every post in this thread because most of it was over my head (you guys initially figuring out what I probably want to know!).

My initial setup, that I haven't changed, is the XBR910 with the TV tuner (MyHD) on the component input at 1080i. More challenging is the second connection to the Windows desktop on the DVI, which I have at 1360x720p (Radeon 9000, if that matters). I also use fullscreen Cineplayer on the HTPC 'desktop' to play DVD's too. To see the whole desktop I adjusted tilt, squeezed and shifted through the service menu, but I had to leave a bit of overscan because of 'edge artifacts' on video signals. My 4:3 ended-up off center, and my aspect ratio is off when I play DVDs (using a ruler (!) I find 1.2 instead of 1.33333, for instance). Also, on a maximized window, for instance, you can see a bow along the title bar (not a straight line). Finally, occasionally, depending on the OTA signal and it seems more often if I've got the tv zoomed, I'll see a very faint brightness change that passes from the right to my left. It's like a vertical bar of slightly brighter material is passing-by, about once per second. This is the least of my concerns, because it happens rarely, and you really have to be paying attention to see it.

My specific question is, would you recommend 540p and flipping HDPT for the Windows desktop on the DVI? Or does that only change the component input? Maybe I should flip it anyway so my 1080i doesn't get reconverted? Any general recommendations for an XBR910 as an HTPC monitor? What general recommendations would you have for next steps for me? I thought about buying that DVD to provide inputs to allow TV adjustments, but the one I looked at got trashed by reviewers.
Looking back at this thread, the advice particularly regarding overscan adjustments does seem to be all over the map. My philosophy re how to approach this has changed though. So let me start there.

At some point I went and reset all my geometry settings back to their defaults. Since then, here is the strategy I have used for sizing and positioning. (Much of this will probably be old news to skilled Powerstrip users.)

A) I use only a single input and signal which can dramatically simplify calibration, although this may not be practical for most people.

B) I leave HCNT, HSIZ, VSIZ, VPOS basically at their defaults (or as other more generic geometry calibration tools dictate).

C) Although it's possible to adjust the horizontal size of the raster with the controls in PS, this does not seem to work for horizontal position. So I use HPOS for this. Unfortunately, adjusting this for a computer input can potentially throw off the position of other video inputs. More below.

D) I use the horizontal sizing controls (with Frequencies Locked) in Powerstrip's Advanced Timing Options to scale the raster/porches to fit the screen with the amount of horizontal overscan I desire. With this approach I can use just about any acceptable horizontal resolution I want and get a decent fit, without having to change anything on the TV.

E) I use the vertical positioning control in PS's Advanced Timing Options (with Frequencies Locked) to adjust the vertical porches of the raster for a good position. Another option is to use 2170D_1/SCRL on the TV.

F) One of the simpler ways to adjust the vertical size for no overscan, is to use something like a 480p rez @ 540p timing, or a 640p rez @ 720p (I believe there are HDTV Derived modes something like these included with PS) or a custom resolution could be created at a 540p, 720p, or 1080i timing to achieve a more perfect fit. Another option is to use 2170D_1/ASPT on the TV.

If you need your TV to work well for both an HTPC and other video sources, then the fewer items you tweak on the TV, the simpler it will be. Horizontal positioning is the area where there's the biggest problem with this. Since I'm only using one signal, namely the bypassed 1080i HPOS works fine. However, if you're not in the same boat then another strategy may be needed, perhaps involving the MID controls. Wish I could offer better advice on this.

ADU
post #134 of 149 Old 02-17-2004, 12:05 PM - Thread Starter
ADU
AVS Special Member

Quote:
C) Although it's possible to adjust the horizontal size of the raster with the controls in PS, this does not seem to work for horizontal position. So I use HPOS for this. Unfortunately, adjusting this for a computer input can potentially throw off the position of other video inputs. More below.
FWIW, HPOS may be adjustable for the Full 1080i mode independent of the other signals. This seems to apply to ASPT and SCRL as well.

EDIT: ASPT & SCRL are signal and aspect ratio sensitive. Ie they can be adjusted differently depending on whether you're using 480p or 1080i, Full or Wide Zoom, etc.

ADU
post #135 of 149 Old 02-17-2004, 12:40 PM - Thread Starter
ADU
AVS Special Member

Another trick I use for adjusting convergence is to play a black and white DVD or display a fullscreen B&W image with alot of detail and then look for red or blue fringing, and adjust accordingly. This actually seems to work as well or better for fine-tuning than the dot patterns.

Another thing I've noticed is that the convergence adjustments particularly on the left of side of my screen seem to be sensitive to how high contrast is set. So it may be a good idea to set the contrast where you want it first before making your convergence tweaks. If you're not sure where you'll want it, then erring on the high side seemed to work best on my TV.

ADU
post #136 of 149 Old 02-24-2004, 12:56 PM - Thread Starter
ADU
AVS Special Member

Alot of questions lately re computer input, so I thought I'd give this thread a boost back to page #1.

This thread is not the best primer for Powerstrip newbs, since many of us who put the info together here were also newbs to PS and srevice menu adjustments ourselves at the time this info was compiled. There are a few basic generic guides to PS and creating custom timings in the Post #1 though FWIW. The HDTV Standards and Derived modes in PS are probably the best place to start. If you need a picture with no overscan, something like a 480p rez @ a 540p timing HDTV Derived mode may work ok to get started, without having to adjust the TV's overscan. (You can probably even do 848x480 without Powerstrip, albeit with overscan.)

You may also want to skip the service menu adjustments on the TV for the time being too, since that's another can or worms entirely with it's one wrinkles and pitfalls.

Although I haven't mastered PS by any stretch, my understanding of it is a little better than when this started, so please feel free to ask questions re what you are specifically trying to do, and I'll try to save you some work and steer you in the right direction if I can (and perhaps some other experienced users will lend a hand too. :D ). Reading as much as you can re all this can't hurt though.

ADU
post #137 of 149 Old 11-21-2004, 05:36 PM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Do you guys know if trying different resolutions and timings through Powerstrip could or would damage my 34XBR910? If so, what are the precautions I should take?
post #138 of 149 Old 11-24-2004, 09:09 AM

Bump!
post #139 of 149 Old 11-27-2004, 10:25 AM

Hi Smodak,
Make sure that your vertical frequency is allways 60Hz.
Horizontal if changed out of range will just lose a sync.
Best resolutions for Sony are 720p
artur
post #140 of 149 Old 11-27-2004, 06:09 PM
AVS Special Member

I am a little confused here. Are you guys saying the Sony is actually displaying these rates natively or youre saying these rates work better with the Sony's internal scaler?

ss
post #141 of 149 Old 11-27-2004, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by artur
Hi Smodak,
Make sure that your vertical frequency is allways 60Hz.
Horizontal if changed out of range will just lose a sync.
Best resolutions for Sony are 720p
artur
Thanks,

I am looking to get a video card for my HTPC which I will ultimately connect to my 34XBR910. Which one do you guys recommend - ATI 9800 PRO or NVIDIA GEForce 6600GT?
post #142 of 149 Old 11-28-2004, 07:25 AM

Don't the newest Forceware Nvidia Drivers have an option to output to HDTV so that you don't have to use powerstrip?
post #143 of 149 Old 11-28-2004, 12:35 PM - Thread Starter
ADU
AVS Special Member

I did a little poking around on this and here's what I found so far from an Nvidia press announcement:
Quote:
NVIDIA Forceware v. 67.02 drivers BETA (Windows XP/2k)....

Added support for TV/HDTV setup in the nView Display Setup Wizard...

HDTV Support Enhancements
Release 65 offers improved HDTV over DVI underscan support, exposed through the NVIDIA control panel.
My PDF internet reader isn't working but there might be a little more info here: http://download.nvidia.com/Windows/6...ease_Notes.pdf

Word on the street is that ATI has added some add'l HDTV support for DVI in the latest 4.10 & 4.11 drivers as well.
Quote:
Originally posted by Vern Dias
From the online manual:

720p and 1080i HDTV Mode Support

The CATALYSTâ„¢ Software Suite 4.10 introduces support for both 720p and 1080i HDTV mode for both CRTs and DFPs. A new properties tab labeled Troubleshoot is added to the ATI Classic Control Panel for both the FPD and Monitor properties page. The Troubleshoot tab will allow users to force 720p and 1080i modes.

Obviously, you need to be at 4.10 or above.
Anyone have any experience with these yet?

ADU
post #144 of 149 Old 11-28-2004, 12:49 PM - Thread Starter
ADU
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by subysouth
Are you guys saying the Sony is actually displaying these rates natively or youre saying these rates work better with the Sony's internal scaler?
Internal scaler. AFAIK, the Sonys can't scan at 45khz on-screen, so 720p timings should be up-converted to 1080i by the TV for display. There's a little bit of flicker naturally, but aside from that they do a pretty decent job of 720p up-conversion by most accounts.

4x3 Sony HDTV users can also undo the V-compression on 720p/1080i in the TV's service menu so 4x3 custom Powerstrip timings like 960x720p fill the whole screen. :cool:

ADU
post #145 of 149 Old 11-28-2004, 01:05 PM - Thread Starter
ADU
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by smodak
Thanks,

I am looking to get a video card for my HTPC which I will ultimately connect to my 34XBR910. Which one do you guys recommend - ATI 9800 PRO or NVIDIA GEForce 6600GT?
Haven't really explored the specs on either of these. But you might get a little more feedback on this in the Home Theater Computer forum. Here's one thread I ran across will a little discussion on these:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...hreadid=466260

ADU
post #146 of 149 Old 11-28-2004, 03:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ADU
Internal scaler. AFAIK, the Sonys can't scan at 45khz on-screen, so 720p timings should be up-converted to 1080i by the TV for display. There's a little bit of flicker naturally, but aside from that they do a pretty decent job of 720p up-conversion by most accounts.

4x3 Sony HDTV users can also undo the V-compression on 720p/1080i in the TV's service menu so 4x3 custom Powerstrip timings like 960x720p fill the whole screen. :cool:
Gotcha.

ss
post #147 of 149 Old 12-03-2004, 09:37 AM

I have my Sony KV34HS510 hooked up to a Radeon 9800 using the ATI DVI to component dongle. I can get 1920X1080i to the tv, and it looks great(except for flicker, which is not noticable when watching videos and is really all I use this for) but it has a pretty large amount of overscan. So much that I cant even see the start bar in windows cause it is down off the screen. So is there any way to correct this? I know I can adjust the overscan in the service mode but wont that change effect all my 1080 sources which will make me other HD be off? I tried some custom resolutions using Powerstrip but they all either seem to make no difference at all or not work. Any help would be great.
post #148 of 149 Old 12-03-2004, 10:57 AM - Thread Starter
ADU
AVS Special Member

Hmm... doesn't the ATI dongle include a 1776x1000i mode which is designed to eliminate overscan?

ADU
post #149 of 149 Old 12-04-2004, 04:12 PM

The actual dongle itself has switches for 16:9, 1080i, 720p, 480p, and 480i. All I have turned on is 16:9 and 1080i. Using Powerstrip I tried making resolutions similiar to what you just said, I dropped the lines from 1080 down to 1000 and further but they all seem to look the same on the tv and eventually no picture will display. Is seems like the tv just locks into 1080 regardless how many lines I feed it, if that makes any sense at all.
Closed Thread Direct View (single tube) CRT Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page