SONY XBR 910 On SONYS site now! - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 401 Old 07-09-2003, 03:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 47
If there's a choice w/no price difference, I'd go w/the XBR. It has adjustable DRC, and a 2-year Warranty.

Dnine: We must be watching the same HDTV Channel!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 401 Old 07-09-2003, 08:01 PM
gdg

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanx for the input!
Cheers
post #93 of 401 Old 07-10-2003, 06:28 AM

Just saw the 34XBR910 on Crutchfield's site for pre-order, with estimated arrival of 8/22. They don't have a picture up yet, but by now I think we've all seen what it should look like. Maybe Sonystyle will get it earlier, but I'd imagine that's a pretty good estimate of when other stores will have the set.

jba87
post #94 of 401 Old 07-10-2003, 06:39 AM

post #95 of 401 Old 07-10-2003, 06:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 11
post #96 of 401 Old 07-10-2003, 07:07 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
CRUTCHFIELD was one of the last ones to get the 34510 and 32510
it is kinda weird that there posting now, but at least we have a MSRP $2499
for the "34 they don't list the "30 at all. Maybe some West Coast
dealers will have it much sooner a friend of mine who is supposed to
be in the "know" told me a few weeks ago that this set was sure to be in the states the week after July 4th. so much for what he said she said.
Still no-one has even seen this picture that I know of.
post #97 of 401 Old 07-10-2003, 07:36 AM
AVS Special Member

From Crutchfield:

The 34" KV-34XBR910 combines striking good looks with a major performance breakthrough. We're used to seeing incremental improvements from year to year, but this TV delivers the finest XBR picture quality we've ever seen!

Screen Size 34"
Flat Screen Yes
Aspect Ratio 16:9
Comb Filter Type 10-bit 3D Dig.
Picture in Picture 2 Tuner
Velocity Scanning Modulation ---
Color Temperature Control Yes
1080i Compatible Yes
720p Compatible ---
480p Compatible Yes
Remote Multibrand
Illuminated Remote ---
DBS Control ---
XDS Data Service ---
Channel Labeling Yes
Sleep Timer ---
V-Chip Yes
Audio Output Power 7.5 X 2/15 X 1
Surround Modes SRS TruSurround
Width (inches) 39-1/8
Height (inches) 24-1/2
Depth (inches) 23-1/4
Parts Warranty 2 Years
Labor Warranty 2 Years
Inputs & Outputs
RF Inputs 2
Front Panel Composite In 1
Front Panel S-Video In 1
Rear Composite Video Inputs 3
Rear S-Video Inputs 2
Component Video Inputs 2
Total Video Inputs 7
Total Video Outputs ---
Total Audio Inputs 6
Headphone Jack ---
System Link Control S

Top of Page

How did Sony improve their flagship XBR technology? By developing the highest-resolution Trinitron yet — the revolutionary Super Fine Pitch™ CRT. The defining element of any Trinitron picture tube is the "aperture grill"; a metal mask with hundreds of narrow vertical slits through which beams from the TV's electron gun pass, striking the phosphor dot coating to form the images we see. The Super Fine Pitch CRT has 65% more of these vertical slits for a huge increase in horizontal resolution. For bright, vibrant colors to match the added detail, Sony also increased the output of the electron gun, and used a high-intensity luminescent phosphor coating. Designed specifically for HDTV, the KV-34XBR910's 3-D clarity will astound you (separate HDTV tuner required, please see our tuner selection.)

The KV-34XBR910 offers a total of 7 A/V inputs, including two HD-capable component video inputs. Use one of these inputs to hook up a separate HDTV tuner and experience the exceptional color, detail, and dimensionality of HDTV in your own home. For future-readiness, Sony includes another type of HDTV connection: DVI. The DVI input will provide greater compatibility with upcoming HDTV tuners. Having both types gives you more options when choosing a tuner to receive whichever HDTV signals are available in your area: over-the-air broadcasts, satellite, or cable. The '34XBR910 is compatible with both 1080i and 720p HDTV signals (720p is converted to 1080i — a big advantage, as many TVs must downconvert 720p to 480p). The TV's built-in analog tuner lets you enjoy your regular shows, too (you can choose to display them in a standard 4:3 window with gray bars on the sides, or expand the image to fill the screen).

Each year, Sony's Digital Reality Creationâ„¢ (DRC) digital upconversion circuitry has gotten a little better at enhancing picture quality and reducing the visibility of horizontal scan lines. It's a way to bridge the gap between conventional analog video signals and HDTV. DRC has always done a superb job with DVD. Now their latest version, DRC Multifunction V1, gives you better results than ever with lower-quality signals like cable TV and VHS tapes. You can fine-tune the level of DRC picture enhancement to match your personal preference and the quality of the input source, storing your own custom settings for easy adjustment.

If you own a Sony Memory Stick® digital camera, the KV-34XBR910 is Sony's first TV to provide Enhanced Memory Stick playback — you can view not only JPEG digital photos, but also MPEG movie clips stored on Memory Stick.

Key Features:

Hi-Scan HDTV monitor (compatible with HDTV/SDTV formats — when connected to a separate HDTV tuner — and displays them at 1080i or 480p)
widescreen 16:9 aspect ratio
Super Fine Pitch Aperture Grill
anti-reflective screen coating
adjustable DRC MultiFunction V1 (upconverts NTSC sources to 960i or 480p)
CineMotionâ„¢ 3-2 pulldown processing
10-bit 3D digital comb filter
HD Detailerâ„¢ wideband video amplifier
181-channel NTSC tuner
2-tuner PIP (adjustable split-screen)
Flip/joystick multibrand remote with glow-in-the-dark buttons
video input labeling
7 A/V inputs, including:
4 composite video (3 rear, 1 front)
3 S-video (2 rear, 1 front)
2 rear-panel HD-capable component video
(compatible with 1080i/720p/480p/480i signals)
1 rear-panel DVI HDTV input with HDCP copy protection
2 RF inputs for antenna/cable
Enhanced Memory Stick playback (JPEG, MPEG)
30 watts total (7.5 x 2, plus 15 for subwoofer)
39-1/8"W x 24-1/2"H x 23-1/4"D
warranty: 2 years parts & labor

Pocatello
post #98 of 401 Old 07-10-2003, 07:37 AM
AVS Special Member

The price is nice as well!

Pocatello
post #99 of 401 Old 07-10-2003, 09:04 AM

Well, finally we at least have some sort of general date.

One of the CSR at Sony Style said they would definitely have them for sale before anyone else, so we can take that for what it's worth. I'm not sure how Sony Style operates. Has this be true in past model releases?

Who's gonna be the first person to take the plunge and buy this thing and give us impressions? ;) I'm pretty sure I'm going to get it(unless I see truly horrible reviews pop up), but I don't think I could give very good impressions. I'm currently watching TV on a Sanyo, so anything else will look good regardless. ;)
post #100 of 401 Old 07-10-2003, 09:21 AM

Hurry up!
post #101 of 401 Old 07-10-2003, 09:50 AM

Quote:
you can choose to display them in a standard 4:3 window with gray bars on the sides,
That's interesting. The 34 800 had black bars. With a black bezel black bars would be nice (not taking into account questions about burn-in).
post #102 of 401 Old 07-10-2003, 10:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked: 58
The featureset is nice. I almost bit a couple of times last year with the XBR800. Only thing is no Firewire. Is that completely out now? No prospect of recording devices which will need Firewire?

The other thing to weigh is how fast the LCOS products develop and come down in price and start to proliferate 1080p-capable displays.

Of course, all HDTV sets will start getting built-in tuners, including cable HDTV tuners, over the next couple of years.
post #103 of 401 Old 07-10-2003, 02:49 PM

My local Sony dealer, San Jose Honda, doesn't expect the 910 to arrive until late sept/october.
post #104 of 401 Old 07-10-2003, 03:01 PM

I have been waiting for a LONG time for this TV and my obsession has clearly grown unhealthy at this point. However, my stomach dropped when I saw mention in the Crutchfield description of 4:3 content being shown with Gray Bars!!!

Can anyone add to this (speculation or otherwise)? I was of the impression that 4:3 content would have black bars on the sides not gray. Seems like this could be a deal breaker (potentially) and also doesn't seem to make sense mechanically for the TV itself based on my understanding of how CRTs handle the display of "bars" (i thought they could literally turn off the scanning to those areas and that was the reason burn in was not a problem on them).

Can anyone with an XBR800 share if that one has Gray bars or Black bars?

Thanks,
Ben

Ben Friedman
ben@ben.org
post #105 of 401 Old 07-10-2003, 03:13 PM

Just placed my order with Crutchfiled! I'm excited about getting this and they said I could cancel it if Sony Style got it first.

Dave
post #106 of 401 Old 07-10-2003, 03:38 PM
gdg

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
The problem is not that the grey (or black) bars burn in, but rather that the image area eventually burns in as the phosphors degrade over time. The purpose of the grey bars is to even out that process and if you watch much 3:4 it's actually a plus.
Note that Sony used to have black bars and have clearly revised their thinking.
post #107 of 401 Old 07-10-2003, 03:38 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I don't think all the specs on there site are all correct.

For one the size is wrong. as per SONYS site.

39 1/8" x 25 5/8"x 23 7/8"
post #108 of 401 Old 07-10-2003, 03:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by friedman232
Can anyone with an XBR800 share if that one has Gray bars or Black bars?
The default setting on my 34XBR800 for the bars on the side of 4:3 content (when displayed in 'normal' mode) looks black. They are actually a very very dark gray. There is a service menu setting that allows you to change the bars ... I think there's about 16 settings that range from pure black to pure white. I set it to the lightest gray that still looked black to me (I think it was one click lighter then the default).

I would imagine the XBR910 has the same service menu setting ...

4:3 TVs when in '16:9 squeeze' mode turn off scanning to the area outside the actual image. That's why those bars are always black.

However, all 16:9 TVs (that I am aware of) scan the entire screen for 4:3 content.

Regardless of whether an area is being scanned or not ... burn in is still a 'concern'. Burn in is caused by UNEVEN phosphor wear. If the bars are black (or the area isn't scanned at all) ... the phosphors are wearing slower and over time ... that area may appear brighter. On the other hand, if the bars are pure white ... the phosphors are wearing faster and over time ... that area may appear darker. That's why you see alot of gray bars (especially on touchier RPTVs).

Conjecture: Downside to the Super Fine Pitch CRT is that all things being equal, more slits = reduced brightness. To compensate, the XBR910 may need to be run brighter, increasing burn-in risk. Sony may have changed the default side-bars from dark dark gray to a more even gray to compensate.
post #109 of 401 Old 07-10-2003, 11:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Most everyone I've known that owns a 16:9 Widescreen TV, whether it's CRT or Plasma, will use the TV's stretch or zoom modes when viewing 4:3 material. This will fill the entire screen, doing away w/the bars altogether and increase the viewing screen from approx. 27" to 34".
post #110 of 401 Old 07-11-2003, 06:17 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by cajieboy
Most everyone I've known that owns a 16:9 Widescreen TV, whether it's CRT or Plasma, will use the TV's stretch or zoom modes when viewing 4:3 material. This will fill the entire screen, doing away w/the bars altogether and increase the viewing screen from approx. 27" to 34".
If I'm actively watching a 4:3 program (sometimes I listen to TV while I'm at my computer) I ALWAYS watch it without stretching or zooming. I can't stand the look of those distorted options.

My Hitachi allows you to view the bars in either black or gray. The manual suggests using gray, as it is less prone to burn in. I was used to the gray bars within a couple of weeks.
post #111 of 401 Old 07-11-2003, 11:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 19
I don't think the set will "run brighter," as per Joe Kane, there is an inverse relationship between increasing the horizontal resolution and the brightness of a direct-view set (i.e.- brightness goes down as resolution goes up and vice versa).

unOFFICIAL D-Box FAQ here!
Hail to the King, baby!
post #112 of 401 Old 07-11-2003, 11:22 AM
AVS Special Member

I think you misunderstood dt_dc's point. Because of the inverse relationship between horizontal resolution and brightness, the set will have to have its default brightness levels raised higher to give the same brightness to the user, increasing the risk of burn in on individual pixels.
post #113 of 401 Old 07-11-2003, 11:33 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

dt_dc's Makes sense but SONY'S have always run bright to begin with, so
who knows. I still would like to here from someone who has seen the picture of this 910, has anyone seen this at the CES show?
post #114 of 401 Old 07-11-2003, 12:07 PM
AVS Special Member

It would be extremely difficult to give an accurate PQ assessment of the 910 at the CES show. Due to the restraints of an on-location demo at a Trade Show, they're usually using a DVD signal, which won't tell you much. You'll need to go to a B&M store that's kind enough to let you fiddle w/the settings, etc., and if you're lucky the store will have a hookup for HDTV. Any person w/a HDTV tuner & rabbit ears could bring it along to test, so you can see what the 1080i signal looks like.

I'm looking forward to Mr. McGonk's critique, as I think he'll put this Tube thru a grueling test, and see if this TV lives up to its advertised hype.
post #115 of 401 Old 07-12-2003, 09:25 AM

According to SONY Literature on the 34XBR910, they have increased the output of the electron gun and will be using a High Intensity Luminescent Phosphor Coating. I assume this is to offset the decrease in brightness due to the increased resolution; and the use of the gray bars to address the higher potential for burn in.
post #116 of 401 Old 07-12-2003, 09:37 AM

It MUST be confirmed whether or not this set suffers from the same atrocious phosphor trailing problems the XBR800 suffers from (see separate thread about phosphor trails).
post #117 of 401 Old 07-12-2003, 11:11 AM

Phosphor decay time is an important consideration that contributes to "phosphor trailing". Ideally you want the decay rate to be sufficiently sharp as to minimize phosphor trail while not impacting adversely on perceived brightness. With the new high intensity luminescent phosphor coating a steeper rate can be used. This would minimize the trail and still maintain sufficient brightness. Of course this is all speculation on how well Sony is able to implement its compromise to these effects. We will know soon enough. I hope the result is a satisfying one because I am a buyer if it is.
post #118 of 401 Old 07-12-2003, 05:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally posted by MrGonk

It's not a question of pure resolution in terms of supporting 720p. The signal requires a higher scan rate than does 1080i (which, in terms of the scan, is equivalent to 540p to your TV's electronics). That's why a lot of TVs don't support it. It requires higher-grade internal electronics to produce, and that costs money for a very questionable degree of benefit. The only direct-views I'm aware of that support 720p are the monivision-based monitors, a Sampo 34" from a couple of years ago that wasn't all that great a TV, and many of the digital displays (Plasma will accept it and convert to some variation of 768p, unless it's ED, in which case it becomes 480p, DLP will accept and display it natively, LCD will do what plasma does, and LCoS will accept and upconvert usually to 1080p or 1024p. Almost all CRTs will convert it to 1080i)
Dan
The Monivision 30" widescreen has 720p native support (in addition to 1080i native support) and higher-grade electronics and costs $1000 lower than the Sony 30" widescreen 910 which doesn't even have the Monivision's higher-grade electronics.

Can anyone say BRAND PREMIUM? Why are you guys so enamored of the Sony brand when it is obvious the technology you're getting isn't really the top of the line?

Hey, I have nothing against Sony and like some of the Sony products but why pay more for less when you can get a lot more for less with a non-Sony product?
post #119 of 401 Old 07-12-2003, 05:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I'm going out on a limb here to say that I think everyone will be blown away by this new tube, provided it has a good signal, of course.

bob
post #120 of 401 Old 07-12-2003, 06:02 PM

Uh, Sony is a 34" compared to the puny 30" Monovision. Also Sony can display high quality DVD and HD from component video sources, whereas Monovision is poor quality from component video - its only OK with VGA sources. So unless you are using only a PC for the video source, the Sony HDTVs are better for general use. With built-in tuner too!
Closed Thread Direct View (single tube) CRT Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page