How are RCA F38310 owners doing? - Page 25 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #721 of 1202 Old 01-14-2008, 02:37 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm glad I stumbled upon this thread! I bought my RCA F38310 in May 2001 and haven't had any major problems. It's a great set.

The one feature I hadn't used until about six months ago was the built-in DirecTV. I also bought an HR-20 but had the tech run a third line for the RCA. The hard part was getting DirecTV to understand and believe that I had a built-in receiver and not one of theirs. They asked for the serial number, access card number, etc. After sending me a new card (the one that came with the set was NG) and spending more time convincing, they finally were able to get it working. And it works great. I love the banner info/logos (I never got that with cable or OTA). The only problem is that the new HD channels on DirecTV won't come in, even with the in-line converter installed. I may end up canceling the RCA receiver and just using the HR-20.

As I said, I've had no major problems, but a few minor annoyances irk me a little. For example, I've noticed that the picture via the component inputs is a bit overscanned compared with the OTA and built-in DirecTV, resulting in about an inch or so of the picture being cut off all around. It's not drastic, just annoying. Has anyone else noticed this?

Another annoyance was the occasional appearance of diagonal lines whenever I switched antenna inputs from OTA to cable. The lines only appeared on the NTSC picture, not ATSC. I had to switch back and forth until it would be OK. It still happens, but since I dumped cable, I don't switch much anymore, so I'm less annoyed.

I also hooked up external speakers to the taps on the back, since the built-in speakers leave a lot to be desired, especially in the bass range. They (or something) would buzz at certain frequencies and drive me nuts.

All in all, despite these minor annoyances, I'm still loving the ol' RCA F38310 HDTV. May she continue to serve me well into the future.

Glen
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #722 of 1202 Old 01-15-2008, 02:33 PM

I inherited a F38310 from my grandfather a few years ago.. awesome you think... until I found out that he had entered a parental code and I could not watch anything rated over TV-PG. I just used it for a HTPC but now I want to try some OTA HD. I spent hours on the phone with the company, and they could only tell me a way to reset it with the WHO button on the remote, but I do not have the original remote(all the universals I have do not have this WHO button). I tried leaving the set unplugged for a few weeks... no luck there.

Any ideas on how to clear the parental settings or reset the code?
post #723 of 1202 Old 01-16-2008, 08:54 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by dheisel View Post

I inherited a F38310 from my grandfather a few years ago.. awesome you think... until I found out that he had entered a parental code and I could not watch anything rated over TV-PG. I just used it for a HTPC but now I want to try some OTA HD. I spent hours on the phone with the company, and they could only tell me a way to reset it with the WHO button on the remote, but I do not have the original remote(all the universals I have do not have this WHO button). I tried leaving the set unplugged for a few weeks... no luck there.

I'm writing this from work and don't have my RCA reomote in front of me, so this solution is from memory. with your TV set on one of the ota tuners, press the MENU (I think) button. A list of choices should appear: Picture Settings, Display Preferences, Channel Tuning, etc. Go to the "Personal Preferences" and click OK. a list of preference settings will appear. The top one is probably the PG setting culprit. Remove that preference setting and you should be good to go: R-ratings, X-ratings...bring 'em on! Remember: these driections are from memory and the actual nomenclature on the screen might differ.
post #724 of 1202 Old 01-16-2008, 10:34 AM

select:
menu
profiles
TV Setup
select TV Ratings/movie/unrated and set all to "view"
post #725 of 1202 Old 01-16-2008, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Namtar View Post

select:
menu
profiles
TV Setup
select TV Ratings/movie/unrated and set all to "view"

Yep. That's what I meant. I think.
post #726 of 1202 Old 01-16-2008, 11:50 AM

I read what you said,
and knew what you meant.

But the fact is your info's,
... not 100 percent.

(couldn't resist! )
post #727 of 1202 Old 01-16-2008, 11:59 AM

Quote:

I read what you said,
and knew what you meant.

But the fact is your info's,
... not 100 percent.

(couldn't resist! )

That's it. I'm never going to try to help anyone again...until the next time someone posts a question that I have a vague answer to.
post #728 of 1202 Old 01-16-2008, 12:17 PM

I'm trying to adjust the overscan in component video, and I am frustrated. In several posts in this thread, people have said to press Channel Down, then DirecTV and TV on the remote to enter the Service mode. I tried it many ways, but it wouldn't work. Any help?

Glen
post #729 of 1202 Old 01-16-2008, 12:48 PM

On the front panel (FPA) of the F38310 (you can't use the remote), simultaneously/quickly press the "CH-Down and DirecTV” buttons.

Be sure to be on "component video" mode first before making adjustments.
post #730 of 1202 Old 01-16-2008, 04:55 PM

OK, it worked! Thanks. But now what?

The screen says Version number and P:0 V:0

How do I change the horizontal and vertical size?
post #731 of 1202 Old 01-17-2008, 03:58 AM

post #732 of 1202 Old 01-17-2008, 07:18 AM

Quote:

Those RCA Remotes that best buy sells well work with your t.v. A number of years ago I lost my remote. I went to best buy, purchased one for just a few bucks, put it in and it worked.
post #733 of 1202 Old 01-17-2008, 10:03 AM

Quote:

Namtar (and RCA don),

I have that pub, but it doesn't help. Maybe it's too technical or is written for an advanced tech. I need more "Dick and Jane" directions. For example, I saw I can change the V: value with my remote's Volume control, but I couldn't change the P: value. And I don't even know what to change it to!

Can someone simplify it for me, such as:

1. On the remote, press X to change the horizontal width to XX.
2. Press X to change the vertical size to XX
3. Press X to Save changes and Exit.

Thanks.

Glen
post #734 of 1202 Old 01-17-2008, 10:54 AM

I finally got my set hooked up, but a having some issues. I disabled SVM, and checked the caps, they're clean with no bulging. However, I get some horizontal interference in my picture like some weird lines that move up and down a bit near the upper portion of the screen.

Also, at the left hand side of the screen, there's a waviness to the picture in about a 1-2 inch area all the way up the screen.

It's a JX4. Does anyone know what would cause this? Could it be RF interference? I know my room is full of it. I'm feeding it 1080i HD from my cable box and Xbox 360; same problem with both. The DTV tuner in the tv has never been used, according to the previous owner.
post #735 of 1202 Old 01-17-2008, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McGlentosh View Post

Namtar (and RCA don),

I have that pub, but it doesn't help. Maybe it's too technical or is written for an advanced tech. I need more "Dick and Jane" directions. For example, I saw I can change the V: value with my remote's Volume control, but I couldn't change the P: value. And I don't even know what to change it to!

Can someone simplify it for me, such as:

1. On the remote, press X to change the horizontal width to XX.
2. Press X to change the vertical size to XX
3. Press X to Save changes and Exit.

Thanks.

Glen

To read the instructions closely, you will see that you need to enter a 'password'.

Quote:

Instrument Alignment
When the service mode is first turned on use VOL + to
change the parameter number to 76, alignment security
code. Once a security code has been set, pressing CH ∧
will result in the following display:
Version Number: xx.xx P: XX V: XX
Where:
Version Number: xx.xx = Code Version
P: XX = Parameter Number
V: XX = Current Value
The CH ∧ and CH ∨ buttons can be used to change the
parameter number and the VOL + and VOL - buttons can
be used to change the value of the parameter selected.

TO change horizonal/vertical:

P:5
P:11

Be sure to write down values before making any changes.
post #736 of 1202 Old 01-17-2008, 01:12 PM

Doom5,

"weird lines" at the top of the screen could be VBI info due to underscanning. horizonal positioning can resolve.

"waviness" on the sides is an inherent problem with F38310's called "barrel roll". Can't be fixed. This is more prevalent with 480i stretched or 480p widescreen sources. Adjusting to overscan around 5% can help reduce the annoyance on the sides.
post #737 of 1202 Old 01-17-2008, 01:49 PM

Quote:

The one feature I hadn't used until about six months ago was the built-in DirecTV. I also bought an HR-20 but had the tech run a third line for the RCA. The only problem is that the new HD channels on DirecTV won't come in, even with the in-line converter installed.
Glen

That's because the RCA tuner only works for MPEG-2 HD satellite signals which are on channels 70-89. The new HD channels are in MPEG-4, and can only be received by H20/21 or HR20/21 receivers. Since you have an HR20, I assume you are receiving these channels through it. I used the internal DirecTV receiver for years, but once the new satellite was operational, I switched to an HR20 for satellite and OTA, and keep the RCA input set to Component.
post #738 of 1202 Old 01-17-2008, 02:01 PM

Quote:

To read the instructions closely, you will see that you need to enter a 'password'.

TO change horizonal/vertical:

P:5
P:11

Be sure to write down values before making any changes.

For McGlentosh:

Unless you enter 76 in the value for parameter 00, no changes will be effective. In addition to P:05, width adjustment, and P:11, vertical size, you may want/need to adjust:

P:04 Horizontal Position
P:07 Pincushion (parabola)
P:08 Trapezoid
P:09 Top corners (pincushion)
P:10 Vertical position (coarse)
P:13 Vertical position (fine)

As Namtar says, make sure to write down the original settings before making any changes, so you can change things back if the picture looks worse. New values are written as you change them. To exit service mode, press INFO on the remote.
post #739 of 1202 Old 01-17-2008, 02:28 PM

Namtar/jbraden,

Thank you both. I will try this when I get home. I am nervous I will screw something up. I will make sure I write down the values first.

Glen
post #740 of 1202 Old 01-17-2008, 04:55 PM

THANKYOUTHANKYOUTHANKYOU! It worked, and now the logos are not cut off on my HD channels. One thing, though, I may have screwed up. I accidentally adjusted P:06 (Width 9151 Ref) before I realized I wasn't on P:05. I think I got it back by eyeball, but I'd like to know what the original value was. Does anyone know?

Thanks again, guys.

Glen
post #741 of 1202 Old 01-17-2008, 05:30 PM

I posted this a couple weeks ago, but maybe it got missed in my long post, figure it was worth asking again incase anyone can help me.

I can't figure out is how to remove analog stations from the up/down list. For example I get channel 7 analog and 7-1/7-2/7-3 digital, but it doesn't seem there is a way to remove the analog when a HD channel maps to the same place. For example, if I'm watching 5-1 and push up, it goes to 7, I have to push up again to get to 7-1. I just wanna go straight from 5-1 to 7-1 by pushing channel up (there's no channel 6 here).

I'd also like to be able to remove specific subchannels on digital channels and keep others, but it doesn't seem this is possible at all, am I right?
post #742 of 1202 Old 01-17-2008, 07:43 PM

Even more WOW...I just discovered the undocumented off-air guide feature that maps the UHF digital channel to the VHF, e.g., 28-1 jumps to 4-1 (WNBC-DT). Before, 28-1 would not come in.

I've discovered another quirk, however, and this one concerns powering on. Whenever I turn on the TV and DirecTV at the same time, using one button on the DirecTV remote, the F38310 always starts up on an OTA channel, even if I power down in component. I haven't been able to find a setting to change this. Does anyone know?

Glen

P.S. - After seven years, I just discover new tweaks to make my set even better. Amazing. This forum is GREAT!
post #743 of 1202 Old 01-18-2008, 04:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by enigma9o7 View Post

I posted this a couple weeks ago, ....., but it doesn't seem this is possible at all, am I right?

You are right.

The only solution to "skip" unwanted channels is to disable "off-air guides" and delete the undesirable "real" channel numbers. The drawback is that the digital channels will not be re-mapped to the 'virtual' channels (analog counterparts).
post #744 of 1202 Old 01-18-2008, 06:21 AM

Quote:

Whenever I turn on the TV and DirecTV at the same time, using one button on the DirecTV remote, the F38310 always starts up on an OTA channel, even if I power down in component. I haven't been able to find a setting to change this. Does anyone know?

You're probably not using the right TV code in your DirecTV remote for the RCA 38310. I received an RC64R remote with my HR20 receiver and found TV code 11953 works well for that remote.
post #745 of 1202 Old 01-18-2008, 11:47 AM

I guess I wasn't clear in what I was asking. The TV has a code locking me out from being able to change any parental settings or even enter the time/date menu. Its a 4 digit code. I do not know the code and leaving the TV unplugged for a long time does not remove it. Is there a battery inside I can pull or something?
post #746 of 1202 Old 01-18-2008, 01:04 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 246
Have you tried a code that grandpa may have used that "he" wouldn't forget? Year he was born, birthdate, phone number, anniversary..etc?
post #747 of 1202 Old 01-18-2008, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbraden View Post

You're probably not using the right TV code in your DirecTV remote for the RCA 38310. I received an RC64R remote with my HR20 receiver and found TV code 11953 works well for that remote.

I just had DirecTV install an HD DVR and deactivated the internal DTV receiver, and I had the same problem. Code 11953 fixed it ! Thanks.
post #748 of 1202 Old 01-19-2008, 02:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Even more WOW...I just discovered the undocumented off-air guide feature that maps the UHF digital channel to the VHF, e.g., 28-1 jumps to 4-1 (WNBC-DT). Before, 28-1 would not come in.

I've discovered another quirk, however, and this one concerns powering on. Whenever I turn on the TV and DirecTV at the same time, using one button on the DirecTV remote, the F38310 always starts up on an OTA channel, even if I power down in component. I haven't been able to find a setting to change this. Does anyone know?

Glen

P.S. - After seven years, I just discover new tweaks to make my set even better. Amazing. This forum is GREAT!

I know there is a way to do it, I have done it, although I got a new set in November & my 38310 is in the other room unplugged.

If I recall, I used the Info, Menu-OK and right side of volume (plus)

Then in that menu that pops up go to channel hold->press the right arrow so the "tune to" box is highlighted

Press the OK button on the remote until "DIRECTV" is the choice

then go down to the box below & press the OK button on the remote until "after 5 min." is the choice

then scroll down to "Clear" & hit OK on the remote NOT DONE??? don't ask me why

then exit out of the menu, what ever input it was on when you turned off the TV will be what it is on when you turn it back on.

Also make sure the remote is set to TV, hold your hand over the eye & hit TV or you will not be able to move the choices around with the remote.

PS I went in & pluged in the TV because this was very frustrating to me, my sat box was connected to the component inputs & everytime I turned on the TV it was on VID1 input.

If this doesn't work pm me & I will check again on how to do it.

Jordan
post #749 of 1202 Old 01-19-2008, 02:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I guess I wasn't clear in what I was asking. The TV has a code locking me out from being able to change any parental settings or even enter the time/date menu. Its a 4 digit code. I do not know the code and leaving the TV unplugged for a long time does not remove it. Is there a battery inside I can pull or something?

There are plenty of replacement remotes on ebay w/ the who button

Ebay link doesn't work - search for "f38310 remote"

http://www.remotes.com/remotes/servl...12007811582021

This remote was used on many rca & proscan tv's

Also where are you located, if you live in the Seattle area you can borrow my remote, or if you have a learning remote send it my way & I will teach your remote my "who" button, you should really get that fixed as this is a great set
post #750 of 1202 Old 01-25-2008, 06:12 PM

Does this TV have a variable dot pitch? The focus/clarity on the corners isn't nearly as good as the center of the screen. My hitachi 36" HDTV doesn't seem to have this problem.

Is this just a flaw with the tube, or can this be fixed/adjusted in the service menu?
Reply Direct View (single tube) CRT Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page