Sony 34XBR910 Reviews - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 423 Old 08-16-2003, 08:44 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 16
NTN1,

Thanks for posting pics of this set also!

Looks like I'll be able to put a center speaker up there and secure it with a little blu-tac type adhesive...crossing my fingers...

Thanks again. :)

I want Ed on DVD/Blu-ray!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 423 Old 08-16-2003, 09:48 PM
ADU
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 130
Quote:
Originally posted by MONGO1
I need a DVD player with DVI capability, what do you recommend?
FWIW.

ADU
post #93 of 423 Old 08-16-2003, 09:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Quote:
Originally posted by DJ_V
This set does 480p, and 1080i. It will accept a 720p signal, but convert it to 1080i.
Would that include Xbox games in 720p?

How does the upconversion look?

Obviously not as good as if it was pure 720p but still got to be better than 480p, which is the baseline for most Xbox games.
post #94 of 423 Old 08-16-2003, 10:33 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Can 910 owners comment on, and compare to other sets, the NTSC/analog pic quality? This isn't (easily) tested/viewed from within stores.

I'm currently viewing a rather crappy looking cable feed on my RPTV 43" Hitachi 20B.

Thanks guys.
post #95 of 423 Old 08-17-2003, 04:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
NTN1
Glad to hear you got the OTA up sounds like a lot of work. I am wondering how regular NTSC looks on the set does the better pitch mean you see
more imperfections or would you say it is the same as the 800? or
any other HD that you may have seen?
post #96 of 423 Old 08-17-2003, 05:02 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally posted by MONGO1

Oh, I asked him on the initial call if he had the stand too, "yes, we have the matching stand". No, they had the 800 stand. I pressed him to find out about the stand, he said after "investigating" that Sony doesn't even know when the stand will be available, but he quoted me a price of $449.
The $130 Z-line with two Tempered glass shelves looked fine, wife doesn't want silver though, so off to the furniture store for probably a $1500 piece of furniture!

Thanks,
MONGO1
I went with the z-line stand Model number is zln 23541s it is a black stand with silver strips down the side. It is slightly wider than the 910 but the tv looks great on it, Matches very well with 2 very roomy shelfs underneath.
The stand also has black glass so nighttime viewing of the 910 there are no distractions from the screen.

This is an amazing set! Have watched several DVD's, D* hd channels, and OTA hd
all have looked amazing!
As for normal sat, I suggest running a separate S-video line for your standard SD signals and use the DRC to tweak it to what you prefer.
Also I read on other threads a while back after having the 40" to leave the set on all night the first night. I did this and I could be nuts but i swear the picture was sharper on SD the next day!

By the way I will try to post a pic of the 910 on this black Z-line stand, its price in store at CC was 179.00, this is alot better than Sonys stupid stand pricing!
All in all this is a hell of a TV, i recommend anyone who wants one get it, after all you're not saving that much money over an 800.

Take care.

Wake me when HD gets Here!
post #97 of 423 Old 08-17-2003, 06:02 AM

I will try what your saying and run it in standard mode. I find the professional mode way to dark. What s/w do you recommend for adjusting this set. Thanks.
post #98 of 423 Old 08-17-2003, 10:19 AM
ADU
AVS Special Member

After a second look at the 910, it appears to me that the phosphor persistence is roughly the same as the 34XBR800. I'm basing this on the absence of flicker and "live-ness" of the picture rather than phosphor trails, since the ambient light at CC is too bright to see the latter.

Are there tests on either the Video Essentials or AVIA calibration disks (to answer jjakaitis question :) ) which check the phosphor persistence decay/lag/flicker/strobing?

Since Sony seems to be moving towards a more filmic look, I'd be kinda surprised if they went to faster decaying phosphors as this would tend to introduce more flicker. Perhaps there are other features in the new design of the CRT though which would make trails less pronounced at very low ambient light levels.

ADU
post #99 of 423 Old 08-17-2003, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by jjakaitis
I find the professional mode way to dark. What s/w do you recommend for adjusting this set. Thanks.
I used Avia to calibrate my xbr800. One thing I found on all the settings, but especially pro, is that the black levels are far too low. Avia will allow you to see this clearly. I'm not sure why, but from the factory the white level is set higher the the black level. When you calibrate with the Avia disc, you'll find those settings get flipped around.

I know I really liked the pro mode better with DVDs after making these adjustments. What's nice about the pro mode is it has the least amount of picture enhancements from the electronics, so once you've got the settings right, and have dialed out that red push via the service menu, you know when you're watching a movie the color is as close to what the director wanted you to see.
post #100 of 423 Old 08-17-2003, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by ADU
After a second look at the 910, it appears to me that the phosphor persistence is roughly the same as the 34XBR800.
This was one thing I haven't heard about yet from any 910 owners, and was curious as well. I'm sure once folgersinyourcup gets his 910, we'll get the straight scoop on the phosphor trails. I know he was very attuned to this on his 800. He mentioned earlier in this thread that he just got full store credit on his defective 800. Hey folgers, what's the latest?
post #101 of 423 Old 08-17-2003, 02:53 PM

level is set higher the the black level. When you calibrate with the Avia
disc, you'll find those settings get flipped around.
post #102 of 423 Old 08-17-2003, 06:31 PM
AVS Special Member

I finally got a chance to get over to CC, where they had a plaque for the XBR910, but it was on top of the HS510. The salesman assured me that except for the price, they were identical. So based on my trip to CC I can categorically state that the XBR910 is identical in performance to the HS510. Either that or the salesperson was an idiot, take your pick.
post #103 of 423 Old 08-17-2003, 06:55 PM
jcc
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by uzun
I finally got a chance to get over to CC, where they had a plaque for the XBR910, but it was on top of the HS510. The salesman assured me that except for the price, they were identical. So based on my trip to CC I can categorically state that the XBR910 is identical in performance to the HS510. Either that or the salesperson was an idiot, take your pick.
Wow, that saleman really knows what he's talking about! :eek:

I'm an investment manager Jim, Not a doctor!
post #104 of 423 Old 08-17-2003, 07:13 PM

This is for the other fellow washingtonians!!

Well i finally went back to CC today in southcenter!! And spoke with someone and asked what feed they were running to it, and he checked and it was just directtv!! Not even an hd channel, so that's probably the reason the 510 was so comparable to the 910, so analog wise you can say they are comparable, but i bet if we went to a real hd feed that the 910 would blow it away!!
post #105 of 423 Old 08-17-2003, 07:39 PM

I noticed a lot of people posted messages saying they all looked the same in CC. But you are correct, they are connected with crapy signal so of course. Garbage in, garbage out. This TV now at my house, hooked up to HD looks at the quality of a plasma screen Pioneer $9000 or so, that I saw about 6 months ago. You cannot judge side by side with garbage signal. You have to compare the TVs at it's best resolution with best input.
post #106 of 423 Old 08-17-2003, 07:41 PM

My TV from factory looks pretty nice. Is the AVIA disc only to calibrate brightness, hue (tint), color only? Or do I need this Avia disc to setup anything else like DRC?
Thanks,
J
Quote:
Originally posted by jjakaitis
level is set higher the the black level. When you calibrate with the Avia
disc, you'll find those settings get flipped around.
post #107 of 423 Old 08-17-2003, 07:44 PM

Wow, I had that same quote when I went to buy a Toyota. The salesman said that this was built by the same company that builds Lexus and it was by definition and identical car. I wonder why people spend thousands more every year for just manufacturers playing with numbers when they write model numbers LOL
sarcasm rules.

Quote:
Originally posted by jcc
Wow, that saleman really knows what he's talking about! :eek:
post #108 of 423 Old 08-17-2003, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Chhuong
This is for the other fellow washingtonians!!

Well i finally went back to CC today in southcenter!! And spoke with someone and asked what feed they were running to it, and he checked and it was just directtv!!
I was at CC Southcenter today at lunch time and found out the same thing... so I bought the 910 on the spot. :D

Wednesday cannot come soon enough...

All in all, a hundred-percent successful trip.
But sir... we lost Mr. Rimmer.
post #109 of 423 Old 08-17-2003, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by DJ_V
This was one thing I haven't heard about yet from any 910 owners, and was curious as well. I'm sure once folgersinyourcup gets his 910, we'll get the straight scoop on the phosphor trails. I know he was very attuned to this on his 800. He mentioned earlier in this thread that he just got full store credit on his defective 800. Hey folgers, what's the latest?
Hey, the latest is that I've got the store credit and am deciding what to do with it. My Circuit City does not yet have the 910 on display and isn't totally sure what day they are getting the set in yet.... When they do get it in though I will be sure to scrutinize it. On the 800, once I saw them I just could never get over it and it bugged the heck out of me. Since my set was defective in other ways, perhaps it was more severe on mine but I could still make them out prominently in my local CC (though MUCH harder to see though that is most likely due to the very bright lighting around the tv). If I can watch the 910's picture on the same scenes as the XBR800 open box model (last one) that is right next to it and not see the same phosphor trails then I am sold on it. If that's not the case though, I've been heavily considering an RPTV.

Note to 800 and 910 owners though....if you don't see the phosphor trails and are perfectly happy with your picture then please do not look for them any further! I never really noticed them until I saw the thread about them here several months ago and then specifically looked for them for about 30 seconds while watching a movie and my jaw dropped.... I had been seeing this effect for quite some time but assumed it was just part of how the films looked. Upon checking the same scenes out on other televisions though without the strange effect I discovered this was indeed phosphor trailing.

I'm glad to see the positive reviews for the 910 start trickling in though!
post #110 of 423 Old 08-17-2003, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Spyre
My verdict...

Instead of buying it right away as I was planning, I'll be waiting for professional reviews to really get into the nuts and bolts of what makes it better and how a user can achieve this.
Remember the above quote? I'm a lying bastadge...

post #111 of 423 Old 08-17-2003, 08:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Spyre,

What exactly changed your mind enough to pull a quick trigger on the 910? Must've been one hell of a demo!
post #112 of 423 Old 08-17-2003, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by cajieboy
Spyre,

What exactly changed your mind enough to pull a quick trigger on the 910? Must've been one hell of a demo!
Here's the list of mind-changers...

- Getting a much lower price than I was already willing to pay
- CC having one left in stock
- Realizing the very good picture I was seeing was only a DirecTV feed - it can only get better!
- And a blazing dose of gotta-buy-it adrenalin

Could I have possibly made a mistake by jumping the gun so quickly? MAYBE. But I did view the 910 twice and play with it for hours before making my decision - I'm proud of myself for that. No sight-unseen purchase here. It's light years ahead of my five year old 27" Panasonic GAOO... which is really good, BTW.

post #113 of 423 Old 08-17-2003, 11:11 PM
ADU
AVS Special Member

folgers,

If you're looking for something to compare to the 910 in terms of pixel persistence, you might want to look at the Hitachi plasma at CC. If I remember correctly, it had one of the more live pictures of the FPDs at 1080i.

ADU
post #114 of 423 Old 08-18-2003, 05:38 AM
AVS Special Member

My saga in a nutshell. Purchased a 34 XBR 800 in June. Loved the set until i noticed a vertical bar moving right to left in 1080i mode that slightly discolored the picture as it moved across. Problem well discussed in a different thread.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...0&pagenumber=1

After two unsuccessful attempts by Sony to fix it (one in the service menu, the other changing the B and M boards) I called CC who agreed to replace it with a 910 if I paid the price difference. I agreed. I love the new set--although much to my chagrin there is still a vertical bar. The bar is not noticeable in pro or movie modes, and barely, just barely, noticeable in standard. It is clear in vivid, but vivid sucks so who cares. Since I can't see the bar unless i really try to in standard, I am keeping the TV and am not going to worry about it. The PQ is stunning in my opinion. I don't notice a difference in D* SD, but i think that 1080 looks even better than with the 800, which i thought was spectacular. Anyone else seeing the dreaded vertical bar? It is most noticeable in a dark room and dark picture. The best way to look for it is to change the channel from 81 to 85 (the PPV channel) and watch the black screen.

"Some have the speed, and the right combinations, but if you can't take the punches, it don't mean a thing."
post #115 of 423 Old 08-18-2003, 06:05 AM
AVS Special Member

MnGuy
It's good to hear you finally resolved all the problems you have been having
and your satisfied with the 910, hope it doesn't give you any problems
at all. The only thing I would do is let Sony know of the small issue with
the vertical bar so down the road when there is a simple fix it will be on your record. Enjoy
post #116 of 423 Old 08-18-2003, 06:20 AM
AVS Special Member

That is a good idea. Dealing with Sony has been frustrating but CC took care of me and didn't really have to as I was past my 30 days.

"Some have the speed, and the right combinations, but if you can't take the punches, it don't mean a thing."
post #117 of 423 Old 08-18-2003, 06:41 AM
AVS Special Member

My experience has been the opposite but thats MY. When I needed a new
remote for my XBR over a year after I bought it they mailed me out one that by chance wasn't working so they send another all at no charge.
What I find works is if you contact them first with no problems and register
your equipment (over the phone) or just make them aware that your happy, and they document this when a real problem comes up they are more willing to work with you,take names. I know your Fed up with all there
BS so it's not easy to do anymore but in the long run it should be worth it.
post #118 of 423 Old 08-18-2003, 08:16 AM

Still waiting for comments on NTSC pic quality please. If I can be picky, preferably normal, unstretched 4:3 mode. :)

Thanks
post #119 of 423 Old 08-18-2003, 08:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Quote:
Originally posted by z0dd
Still waiting for comments on NTSC pic quality please. If I can be picky, preferably normal, unstretched 4:3 mode. :)

Thanks
It's watchable but jaggy with Direct TV.

I have a 5-year old Panasonic Superflat in the same room.

The Panasonic softens the edges so you don't get the pixelated look. However, it's clear the Sony is showing more detail, even apart from the pixelation. Strands of hair or rain drops on a car come out sharper. I got edge enhancement on High or Medium.

Haven't tried too many tweaks with DRC other than switching modes around.

I can watch this but I am looking at getting a tuner for the football season.

BTW, Full mode is also okay to me. The zoom and widescreen zoom with 4:3 will cut off bottom and top so they're not viable. The 4:3 is okay but seems a bit vertically stretched. But i don't like the bars. One other thing I tried was PIP and make the picture as large as possible. That image looks better to me than the normal 4:3 mode. Overall, Full mode for 4:3 is okay.
post #120 of 423 Old 08-18-2003, 11:19 AM

So essentially for me the decision is between the SONY XBR910 and the SAMSUNG 43in DLP.

I have a viewing distance of 6ft for the tube and it would be 7ft if I were to go DLP.

My only doubt is the quality of the SONY set...

-Will it have the same old geometry/convergence problems always there with SONY CRTs? Will the screen bend after 3 months of use? The main reason I am moving away from CRTs, I am sick of this!

-Is this TV 'MADE IN JAPAN'. Someone please check. If it is, then this TV will last twice as long than if it were 'MADE IN MEXICO.'
Assuming that this is the first batch of a new TV with new consumer technology, then it may be probable that it is 'MADE in JAPAN.' If so, I will run out and buy one ASAP before production switches somewhere else.

Thanks~!
Closed Thread Direct View (single tube) CRT Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page