Sony 34XBR910 Reviews - Page 7 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #181 of 423 Old 08-21-2003, 06:35 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
What store location has the 910, please?

SrgtFury, I think all the Circuit City locations in Southern CA should have them by now. But the one in GLENDALE was the store I saw that had it on display. I don't know whether they have it in stock though.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 423 Old 08-21-2003, 08:30 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
The only store I could find in the OC area that had them was Fullerton and I bought their last one yesterday. They say any store cn have one special ordered in 2 days though.
post #183 of 423 Old 08-22-2003, 01:18 AM

I know that the Glendale CC has 3 910s in stock as of yesterday.
post #184 of 423 Old 08-22-2003, 08:41 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Hi Nexus,

What did they have to have for that piece?

Thank you very much

Fury
post #185 of 423 Old 08-22-2003, 02:41 PM
Advanced Member

I am off to pick up a Bravo D1 to test on my 34XBR910. I will let you all know how it goes!
post #186 of 423 Old 08-22-2003, 05:38 PM

Can one of you lucky 910 owners be kind enough to measure the H,W,D of the set?

CC has the following (assuming their site has the W and H switched):
H: 39.1
H: 25.6
D: 23.9

I'd have to order one, as my local CCs do not have it in stock. I'm not sure I can fit it into the location it would go into. :/
post #187 of 423 Old 08-22-2003, 06:36 PM

According to the manual, the 34xbr910 is:

w: 39 1/8
h: 25 5/8
d: 23 7/8

weight: 199 lbs.
post #188 of 423 Old 08-23-2003, 11:32 AM
ADU
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked: 177
Quote:
Originally posted by nexus99
I am off to pick up a Bravo D1 to test on my 34XBR910. I will let you all know how it goes!
:cool: Cool! 2 Towers is out early in some rental stores, BTW. ;)

ADU
post #189 of 423 Old 08-23-2003, 04:19 PM
Advanced Member

Here is my Bravo D1/Sony KV-34VBR910 Story so far:

Yesterday I called to see if I could will call a new D1 unit. I spoke to Sandy on the phone and she was very happy to place my order and she even offered me the special $179 AVS forum price (which I took advantage of). Typically there is a 24 hour turn around on orders but she took charge and pushed my order through for that same day. Sandy asked me to drop by their office a few hours later to pick up the unit.

A few hours later (around 2 pm) I arrived at the office in Fountain Valley, CA. This is very nice for me because I live about a 5 minute drive from their complex. I entered the building and asked for someone from V. The complex is shaded by 3 companies it seems and the front desk people belong to a different company. (A custom display producer) At about that time the people from V rolled in the front door. I think they were just getting back from lunch. They all seemed to know who I was and that I was there to pick up a D1 and after a couple of trips back and forth they had my D1 ready to go. At this point they asked me if I would like a demo of the unit. I, of course, jumped at the opportunity and soon I was in their demo room with Ken and Laynie. They took about 30 minutes and showed me the various features of the D1 unit. It looked like a knock out on their plasma (the one that V produces and sells themselves) and I was very impressed by the MPEG4 (DIVX) playback as well. They demonstrated the various media abilities of the unit (stills, video file playback, etc) as well as all the options to set up the unit. I was very impressed. It easily trumped any DVD player I had ever seen in the past. (And for $180???) After the demo Ken, Laynie, and I talked a little about their company and the future of the D1 line. Ken has some great plans for future models (which I will line up and purchase... especially if the price point stays so sweet) which will really come in handy once we all start picking up 2 and 3 DVI enabled source devices. Ken wouldn't confirm any solid plans of course but he did dangle a couple of carrots for me. These are all future plans though... today is for the D1.

I took my leave and returned home. I pulled the unit out and connected it to my 34XBR910. I went ahead and connected the RCAs for sound and video as well as the DVI video as well. From the factory the DVI output is not enabled so you have to fall back to the "legacy" connections to set up the unit. First thing I enabled the DVI output and the "legacy" video immediately shut off. When connected but disabled the RCA connection produces a little pattern of white squares on the screen. I flipped up to input 7 (the DVI input) and the DVD menu was waiting for me. I did not have to power cycle the unit. I made all the adjustments for my TV (16:9, 1080i) and I was off to the races. The unit played all of the 25 or so DVDs I tried right off the bat. No failure to load any of them. The picture is stunning on the new XBR. Its better than any other DVD input I have seen. Its pretty simple... if you want the best DVD viewing experience you need DVI in and the Bravo D1 player. The biggest fault I have with the D1 is its really crappy remote. The unit itself looks and feels fine but the remote looks and feels a little cheap. I guess this is where they shave off a few dollars on production. I plan to pick up a nice LCD multiunit remote soon though so it should be a non issue at that point.

I have about 200 DVDs lined up from NetFlix to watch on the new set and player and I am going to play around with converting my DVDs to DIVX and burning them to see how well that feature works for me as well.

If you have a 34XBR910 I don't see how you could possibly go wrong with the D1... its amazing!
post #190 of 423 Old 08-23-2003, 05:15 PM

Hi all i just got my set today and i love it it was worth the wait! Well first of all i got it from circuit city and got a great price those guys are the best. They knocked off more than 5% and free delivery! Well the picture is the best i have seen and i like the black finish. Can other 910 owners tell me what settings are the best to use. Thanks to nexus99 for the review of the bravo dvd player with the 910 i will be getting mine next week. Does anybody have Tivo with there 910? Thanks for all the info about the 910.
post #191 of 423 Old 08-23-2003, 05:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Instead of the Bravo-D1, can't you just use an ATI video card with DVI out on an HTPC using powerstrip to scale to 1080i?

TI Purepath Digital:
Quote:
An audio revolution from the source to the ear...found in $99 DVD receivers to audiophile-grade $10,000 audio systems.
post #192 of 423 Old 08-23-2003, 06:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 189 Post(s)
Liked: 90
Does the DVI really enhance pictures for an analog display like the XBR910?

Or it does a good job but is even better for digital displays like DLP?

I have a 910 and my DVD player is about 4 years old.
post #193 of 423 Old 08-23-2003, 07:21 PM
Advanced Member

Tivo on the 910 - I have a bunch of stuff recorded on a stand alone Tivo at high quality (not best) and its kinda crappy. This is from standard cable (not digital). I tested the 910 with optput from a DTV Tivo and the picture was much better. I will be getting digital cable on Wednesday and I will report back with the changes I see there.

For HDTV all of us TIVO owners are pretty much a$$ out till the HDTV TIVOS come out at the end of this year.

910 with the Bravo vs older DVD players -

I teted with a really old non progressive, a newish progressive, and the Bravo. The picture was much better via the DVI for every DVD I played. The Fellowship of the Ring was amazing via the DVI input. I hear that the quality is even better though for LCDs, Plasmas, and projectors. If you have a DVI input there is no choice but to get a DVD player with DVI out. Its huge.
post #194 of 423 Old 08-24-2003, 01:10 PM

I have a question for lucky owners of the 34XBR910.

How deep is it from the front of the TV to the back "feet" of the TV.

By feet, I mean whatever solid chunk of plastic is on the bottom back of the TV that it rests on. On my old 27" Sony XBR, there are 4 round hard molded plastic feet in the base.

I ask, because I have torn apart, sawed apart, and re-constructed my old oak entertainment center to accomodate this new TV. I checked out the dimentions at Circuit City, so I know the width, heigth, and depth , but I didn't look at the actual base itself.

I need to know if I need to add a support ledge to the back of the entertainment center to accomodate the base of the 34XBR910.

Shawn
post #195 of 423 Old 08-24-2003, 01:39 PM

The XBR910 only has one DVI input. How do you connect a DVI HD box AND a DVI enabled DVD player (Bravo D1)? Sony should have seen this coming and included more inputs.
post #196 of 423 Old 08-24-2003, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by chmilar
It could be that the 510, with its coarser pitch, is able to provide more contrast between adjacent pixels than the 910. Higher local contrast will make the image appear "sharper", even though the amount of detail is actually less.

The smaller pitch of the 910 means that the phosphors are excited for a shorter amount of time, by a smaller electron beam. It is difficult to create the same contrast level in this case.

This would explain why the 910, even though you observed more actual detail in the image, appears less sharp. There is enough contrast to show the detail, but not enough to define the detail strongly.
I agree with that. Same thing happen between old NTSC tv sets and hdtv sets. Some people had to get used to the better picture!

Margaret Von Busenhalter
post #197 of 423 Old 08-24-2003, 02:11 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally posted by sdawson
I have a question for lucky owners of the 34XBR910.

How deep is it from the front of the TV to the back "feet" of the TV.

By feet, I mean whatever solid chunk of plastic is on the bottom back of the TV that it rests on. On my old 27" Sony XBR, there are 4 round hard molded plastic feet in the base.

I ask, because I have torn apart, sawed apart, and re-constructed my old oak entertainment center to accomodate this new TV. I checked out the dimentions at Circuit City, so I know the width, heigth, and depth , but I didn't look at the actual base itself.

I need to know if I need to add a support ledge to the back of the entertainment center to accomodate the base of the 34XBR910.

Shawn
19"
The front sticks out about 3" more from where it rests on the base.
Be aware this thing is way front heavy. When sitting flat, a breeze can blow it forward off of a flat surface. My old 32" Sony stand had a secure strap on the back that clicked into the TV. LUCKILY, this tv also has a recepticle to receive this strap, so my tv is secure on the old stand.
I don't like the new stand, I will be building a center to hold all the boxes required to run this tv (cable box, OTA box, VCR, Dolby stereo set).

I did finally get to use the posted receipt by NTN1 for the price match at CC... had to drive 75 miles to another store, where they had 1 set in stock. 3 local stores, (no stock said no to receipt) They said OK to receipt, so I now have my TV. Awesome picture. Cable box currenly input to S-Video, and OTA box using the DVI input. Cable has no HD (yet, due soon yeah sure) but for now, I'm doing ok. Just need more OTA programming in HD.

I did see a xbr510 next to the 910 at the store, again it's been said many times, the 910 a tad darker than the 510. Asked wife which pic she liked better, she said 510 looked good to her. I could tell the difference in resolution, I knew what to look for. the 910's picture is definetly better.
post #198 of 423 Old 08-24-2003, 02:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
The XBR910 only has one DVI input. How do you connect a DVI HD box AND a DVI enabled DVD player (Bravo D1)? Sony should have seen this coming and included more inputs.
Exactly. What were they thinking? They champion the DVI input format and fail to have more than one?

I wrote to Sony 8 months ago about this issue, and asked to have two DVI inputs on the XBR910. I don't think they listened to me.

If you want two DVI inputs, the new commercial Panasonic Plasma TVs have the option of having two DVI inputs. Check them out in the plasma forum here at AVS. The Panny has dozens of threads because it is popular, high quality, and not too expensive.

Pocatello
post #199 of 423 Old 08-24-2003, 03:21 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Pocatello
Exactly. What were they thinking? They champion the DVI input format and fail to have more than one?

I wrote to Sony 8 months ago about this issue, and asked to have two DVI inputs on the XBR910. I don't think they listened to me.

If you want two DVI inputs, the new commercial Panasonic Plasma TVs have the option of having two DVI inputs. Check them out in the plasma forum here at AVS. The Panny has dozens of threads because it is popular, high quality, and not too expensive.
I've got 1 foot out the door, and gotta get in to work. I know that the Pioneer Eletes also have more than 1 DVI input. To the best of my knowledge (which is limited) THAT'S IT! And it is stupid - especially given the prices of DVI switches - at least today.

Any idea of a low price for a Panny 43" Plasma? If I can get it for under $3k (or thereabouts) I should be able to sell the wife.

THANKS!

David
post #200 of 423 Old 08-24-2003, 03:28 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally posted by pmb1010
19"
Be aware this thing is way front heavy. When sitting flat, a breeze can blow it forward off of a flat surface. My old 32" Sony stand had a secure strap on the back that clicked into the TV. LUCKILY, this tv also has a recepticle to receive this strap, so my tv is secure on the old stand.
I don't like the new stand, I will be building a center to hold all the boxes required to run this tv (cable box, OTA box, VCR, Dolby stereo set).

Can it sit (securely) on a 17" dresser - so that the back is against the wall?

David
post #201 of 423 Old 08-24-2003, 03:30 PM

Thsnks for the quick reply, and for the added info about
the safety strap. We have 3 kids in the house, so I always
bold bookcases and entertainment centers to the wall, but I had not thought about the TV itself. If they have a receptacle for a strap, I'll use it and strap that sucker down.

Looks, like I'll need to add a solid ledge to the oben back of my center. Should be fairly easy to do with a wide piece of oak and 4 solid brackets.

The CC in Salem, Oregon wasn't offering much in the way of deals on Saturday. I took the seats out of the Van and drove 30 miles to Salem to ogle the 910. They had it for $2399 for one day only. BUT, they had none in stock. If they had, I would have given them my money and been happy. They expected one that late that night. However, I couldn't hang around 4 hours (after all I had an entertainment center to tear apart). They also weren't open to delivering it later in the week for free, or for throwing in the DVI cable that costs an outrageous $99.

So I walked out, to better weigh my options (and prepare the new home of the 910). I can't wait much longer, but I can wait a few weeks, and I can get it from Cruthcfield or Sonystyle with free home delivery (and hopefully a less expensive DVI cable) for the same everyday price as CC.

I envy you folks where the CC people are willing to deal.

And they too had the 510 and the 910 on display with HD content (Showtime HD and some 1080i demo loop). The 910 to my eyes was much superior to the 510. Darker, but better. Vivid mode was awful as others have said.

Shawn

[quote]Originally posted by pmb1010
[b]19"
post #202 of 423 Old 08-24-2003, 04:19 PM
AVS Special Member

As this is off topic, I will make this short:

Try one of the forum sponsors for plasmas and other things AV:

Visual Apex

here is the info on the Panasonic TH-42PWD6UY 42" :

42" plasma

It is highly respected by members of the AVS forums. I have debated myself about getting the XBR800 or XBR910, but I am going to get a plasma. I think. At least I am pretty sure.

:D

Pocatello
post #203 of 423 Old 08-24-2003, 04:21 PM
AVS Special Member

I forgot to post a price: it is less than $3k.

And you can get two DVI connectors. The plasma is available now, and the DVI two DVI connectors are supposed to be available in Sept of 2003, IIRC.

Pocatello
post #204 of 423 Old 08-24-2003, 04:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
I think I saw it flashing on one of the ads here $2795 with a Panasonic DVD player. all Panasonic needs to do now is make a really good CRT under 1k and they will have turned the display market upside down!
post #205 of 423 Old 08-24-2003, 06:11 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally posted by faceoff
Can it sit (securely) on a 17" dresser - so that the back is against the wall?

David
The base is 19" front to back where it sits on whatever it sits on.
So that would leave 1" front, 1" back overhang.
The top part of the set bulges out in the back (like where the tube is), so if the dresser was a couple to 3 inches away from the wall, yes.

With this all said, I'd be very nervous doing this. The rig is very front heavy, and not having that front inch on somthing is iffy. If you slide the set back you will have 2" unsupported. It would PROBABLY work. You really need a way to nail the back of the set to whatever it's sitting on. And, your dresser would be 5" away from the wall, look kinda goofy I think.

Guys that are doing custom stands - what's your thinking on securing the back of the set to keep it from tipping forward????
post #206 of 423 Old 08-24-2003, 07:51 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally posted by phiwalker
Companies will come out with boxes with several DVI inputs and 1 DVI output to connect to the TV. The people at V (The Bravo D1 makers) suggested they might have a couple of DVI inputs on their next Bravo model to handle this problem.
post #207 of 423 Old 08-24-2003, 08:48 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

And you can get two DVI connectors. The plasma is available now, and the DVI two DVI connectors are supposed to be available in Sept of 2003, IIRC.
THANKS! The only problem is the same issue that I'm going through with my wife right now - for that price, the Plasma is ED, not HD.

Man, I wish it were easier.

David
post #208 of 423 Old 08-24-2003, 08:49 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally posted by pmb1010
The base is 19" front to back where it sits on whatever it sits on.
So that would leave 1" front, 1" back overhang.
The top part of the set bulges out in the back (like where the tube is), so if the dresser was a couple to 3 inches away from the wall, yes.

With this all said, I'd be very nervous doing this. The rig is very front heavy, and not having that front inch on somthing is iffy. If you slide the set back you will have 2" unsupported. It would PROBABLY work. You really need a way to nail the back of the set to whatever it's sitting on. And, your dresser would be 5" away from the wall, look kinda goofy I think.

Guys that are doing custom stands - what's your thinking on securing the back of the set to keep it from tipping forward????
My thinking is Plan B - or more like Plan C - the Samsung 43" DLP!

THANKS!

David
post #209 of 423 Old 08-24-2003, 08:51 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 26
I got to see this for the first time at CC today. Looked good.

As good as it looked, I'm still dissapointed over no 720p support. Have you guys seen a 720p broadcast displayed natively on a CRT? It would have been so good on this set.

Maybe now that 720p is really catching on, all the big manufacturers will add it.

XBOX Live: Wagmman
PSN: Wagg
BFBC2: Wagman
Steam: Wag

My Second Life character looks and acts exactly like me except he can fly.
post #210 of 423 Old 08-24-2003, 10:16 PM
AVS Special Member

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
<<<THANKS! The only problem is the same issue that I'm going through with my wife right now - for that price, the Plasma is ED, not HD.

Man, I wish it were easier.

David>>>>>

end quotes

David, you owe it to yourself to check out an ED and an HD 42" plasma side by side. Find a nice high end store that sells the Fujitsu line of Plasmas. No matter how close I stood, I could not tell any difference.

There are some great threads in the plasma forum about this exact issue. For me it is not a concern at all.

Pocatello
Closed Thread Direct View (single tube) CRT Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page