I had forgotten how good CRT HDTVs could look. - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By jjennings2510

post #1 of 3 Old 08-11-2017, 08:27 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 35
I had forgotten how good CRT HDTVs could look.

Back in 2008 when I moved out and into my first apartment HD was growing more popular. I used to work at Best Buy so I knew firsthand how much better a HD picture looked compared to SD and the next Gen gaming consoles were out which supported HD as well. I'm not sure why I didn't go to best buy to look at tvs. Instead I went to Kmart. They had a few tube tvs but most were expensive flat panels. Well I came across a stack of Toshiba 30hf66 tvs that were on sale for $399. Far cheaper than any other HDTV. So I did what I normally don't do. Purchased the TV sight unknown and without research. I had to take it out of the box in the parking lot because it wouldn't fit in my car otherwise. I was just starting to get into home theater so I researched how to get the beat pic. I was introduced to calibration disks so ordered Avia on eBay.

After receiving the DVD and lugging that beast into my room I calibrated it, ordered HD from Comcast and was very happy. Later on that year I moved into a house. But I enjoyed a lot of movie watching and ps3 and Xbox 360 play on my TV. Picture was outstanding and everyone that came over always commented on how good it looked. I guess I got lucky as far as having a good tv goes because I noticed on this forum the Toshiba tube HDTVs got a bad rep for quality issues. But my convergence was near perfect. I did have the slight geometry issues on 4:3 content but I rarely watched it so I was OK. And yes the red was a little strong which is a known thing with these tvs but everything still looked good and I didn't have blooming or bleed etc. So in 2010 I got a Samsung LCD for the bedroom so the Toshiba was moved to the mancave. But at 30inches it was too small, especially with my couch being 15 feet away. So the TV Sat practically unused. I ended up getting a projector and screen and Klipsch surround etc and pushed the Toshiba in a corner in the cave. That was in 2011.

Fast forward to today I decided to fire up the old tv and hooked up my 360 which had been sitting unused for awhile (got a ps4 and Xbox one) and was once again impressed by the pic. I hooked up my ps4 as well and used the Spears and Munsil calibrating disc to tweak the settings. Then I did something I had been too scared to do. I dove into the service menu and adjusted the over scan. I wrote down the original values of course. But let me just say that wow this old trusty tv still looks great. Color saturation is great. Black levels are great. It looks really good. I even streamed some netflix on it and was impressed. I has forgotten just how good of a picture a crt HDTV could have. A cheap one at that. One that doesn't have a good rep. But I'm glad I picked it up 9 years ago. Hopefully it will last me many more years. I have delegated it as my gaming tv for my older consoles. I will keep my ps4 and Xbox one on the projector and Samsung in the bedroom but my PS3 and 360 etc will be hooked up to the old Toshiba. When I checked the hours it only had 2600 hours on it so it should last hopefully for 1000s more hours.

I also found a 30" standard JVC crt on Craigslist today for $20. Picking it up Monday. That will also be a retro gaming tv. But for my really old consoles. The Sega Genesis, NES etc since those old games look best on the older 4:3 crt tvs. Not to mention the lightguns actually work on them. I'm a bachelor right now but I'm trying to figure out how I'll be able to explain to my future wife that I need a mancave for my projector and 2 tube tvs lol. Idk maybe I'll be able to throw the tvs in a closet in the mancave and just open the doors when i want to do some retro gaming lol.

Nonetheless I like telling stories so I figured I would come on here lol. But yeah even with all of the great technology of today with the LED LCDs and OLED etc the old trusty CRT HDTV still looks good today! But yes it is a beast with a big back and weight of over 100 pounds. But hopefully it will last for many more years.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Lp85253 likes this.

Mancave System:
Mains: RF-7IIs
Center: RC-62 (need to upgrade)
Surrounds: RF-82s
Display: Optoma 1080p 3d projector with 120" Screen
Misc: PS3, PS4, Xbox 360, Xbox One, Roku 3, Harman receiver, Wii, Blu Ray player
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 08-12-2017, 12:24 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 349 Post(s)
Liked: 666
Thank you for your story!!

YES CRTs are beautiful... The BEST tv to ever come out

Im glad you can enjoy them!!!
post #3 of 3 Old 08-15-2017, 09:32 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Thanks! I lugged the crt I found on Craigslist home yesterday. It's a 32 inch JVC I'Art flat screen TV. Manufactured in 05. Has component inputs but doesn't support progressive scan. I haven't been able to hook anything up to it yet. Well I hooked up my original xbox but it's giving an error message but it looked good. When the seller showed it to me at his home it looked good. Didn't see any convergence issues or focus issues in the corners etc and the TV settings were all still set to default so it hadn't been over driven from having the contrast up too high. Colors looked really good as well. I'd venture to say it's up there with the Sony's as far as picture quality. Unfortunately I threw my stuff in a closet and can't find all my pieces to my retro consoles. I have the systems and games but now I can't find the cables or controllers. So the TV will be unused for a min until I'm able to either find everything or order it on eBay. But for $20 I can't complain at all. I believe it will be a good tv for years to come. Seller even threw in the stand for free. But wow was this thing a beast to move solo, I'm surprised I managed to get it in my home.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Mancave System:
Mains: RF-7IIs
Center: RC-62 (need to upgrade)
Surrounds: RF-82s
Display: Optoma 1080p 3d projector with 120" Screen
Misc: PS3, PS4, Xbox 360, Xbox One, Roku 3, Harman receiver, Wii, Blu Ray player
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Direct View (single tube) CRT Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page