Sony KV 32FS120 Calibration/Service Menu Help - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 4Likes
  • 1 Post By TeePee78
  • 1 Post By TeePee78
  • 1 Post By TeePee78
  • 1 Post By TeePee78
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 Old 10-02-2017, 03:51 PM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
TeePee78's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 12
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Sony KV 32FS120 Calibration/Service Menu Help

I have never messed with Service Menu stuff before..and just had a few questions.

My TV has TOTALLY screwed up Geometry (weird edges, curves, etc) but also I notice that in some sources there is flickering (like on white text, for instance) but maybe it's not the TV.

SNES looks pretty good, PS2 is the big culprit as it often has flickering and odd pulsing in high contrast text...not sure if that is a setting or just something that the PS2 is known for. Some games look fine, others don't - so maybe it is what it is.

I also noticed with PS2 the screen is further right than with SNES..which is odd..that means to fix I have to make the HSIZ very wide so it fills the screen with both consoles..is that normal?

For reference, I am using SCART on SNES with a Component converter, and PS2 is component.

TV looks good but I know it could look so much better..I wish I could find people here near Dallas that still calibrate these properly
JA Fant likes this.
TeePee78 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 10 Old 10-03-2017, 11:47 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
JA Fant's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Prattville AL
Posts: 1,719
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Liked: 562
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeePee78 View Post
I have never messed with Service Menu stuff before..and just had a few questions.

My TV has TOTALLY screwed up Geometry (weird edges, curves, etc) but also I notice that in some sources there is flickering (like on white text, for instance) but maybe it's not the TV.

SNES looks pretty good, PS2 is the big culprit as it often has flickering and odd pulsing in high contrast text...not sure if that is a setting or just something that the PS2 is known for. Some games look fine, others don't - so maybe it is what it is.

I also noticed with PS2 the screen is further right than with SNES..which is odd..that means to fix I have to make the HSIZ very wide so it fills the screen with both consoles..is that normal?

For reference, I am using SCART on SNES with a Component converter, and PS2 is component.

TV looks good but I know it could look so much better..I wish I could find people here near Dallas that still calibrate these properly
TeePee78-

post your query in the Display Calibration category (below this one back on the main menu).
There are ISF guys who still calibrate CRT, especially, Sony and Sony XBR.
Dallas TX is a main hub for travel, I know you can find help.
JA Fant is offline  
post #3 of 10 Old 10-03-2017, 11:54 AM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
TeePee78's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 12
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by JA Fant View Post
TeePee78-

post your query in the Display Calibration category (below this one back on the main menu).
There are ISF guys who still calibrate CRT, especially, Sony and Sony XBR.
Dallas TX is a main hub for travel, I know you can find help.
Oh wow - thanks I hope I can get lucky

Oh - haha I already posted there a few days ago..no response just yet. Will try to just be patient for now.
JA Fant likes this.
TeePee78 is offline  
 
post #4 of 10 Old 10-04-2017, 05:01 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
JA Fant's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Prattville AL
Posts: 1,719
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Liked: 562
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeePee78 View Post
Oh wow - thanks I hope I can get lucky

Oh - haha I already posted there a few days ago..no response just yet. Will try to just be patient for now.
while you are awaiting a reply to your query- start contacting TV repair shops, there are a few in TX.
Look for Sony Authorized service centers.
JA Fant is offline  
post #5 of 10 Old 10-04-2017, 08:32 AM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
TeePee78's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 12
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by JA Fant View Post
while you are awaiting a reply to your query- start contacting TV repair shops, there are a few in TX.
Look for Sony Authorized service centers.
Good call - I did a little googling for that without much luck, but I will dig some more.
JA Fant likes this.
TeePee78 is offline  
post #6 of 10 Old 10-04-2017, 11:21 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
JA Fant's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Prattville AL
Posts: 1,719
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Liked: 562
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeePee78 View Post
Good call - I did a little googling for that without much luck, but I will dig some more.
Contact John Fort Audio there in Dallas TX. He may be able to assist.
JA Fant is offline  
post #7 of 10 Old 10-04-2017, 01:34 PM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
TeePee78's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 12
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by JA Fant View Post
Contact John Fort Audio there in Dallas TX. He may be able to assist.
Thank you I will look him up!

Edit://
He said he had no expertise in CRT..which I find funny because the website says he has been in business since 1984 which is the end of the CRT era but oh well..back to the drawing board!
JA Fant likes this.

Last edited by TeePee78; 10-04-2017 at 02:54 PM.
TeePee78 is offline  
post #8 of 10 Old 10-04-2017, 03:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
JA Fant's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Prattville AL
Posts: 1,719
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Liked: 562
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeePee78 View Post
Thank you I will look him up!

Edit://
He said he had no expertise in CRT..which I find funny because the website says he has been in business since 1984 which is the end of the CRT era but oh well..back to the drawing board!
He has been in Audio/Video since 1984. I figured that he knew of a tv service tech?

He is a cool guy and runs a sweet Audio shop.
JA Fant is offline  
post #9 of 10 Old 10-04-2017, 06:40 PM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
TeePee78's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 12
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by JA Fant View Post
He has been in Audio/Video since 1984. I figured that he knew of a tv service tech?

He is a cool guy and runs a sweet Audio shop.
Too bad..a lot of my settings are whacked out I think the prev owner changed some of them and saved it...I can get it...playable..but mostly the edges not being square is what bothers me..I don't mess with too much else since I don't know much else about all those settings.
TeePee78 is offline  
post #10 of 10 Old 10-08-2017, 08:30 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
JA Fant's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Prattville AL
Posts: 1,719
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Liked: 562
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeePee78 View Post
Too bad..a lot of my settings are whacked out I think the prev owner changed some of them and saved it...I can get it...playable..but mostly the edges not being square is what bothers me..I don't mess with too much else since I don't know much else about all those settings.
Keep me posted on your situation.
JA Fant is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Direct View (single tube) CRT Displays

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off