Sony 34XBR910 Service Menu Adjustments - Page 7 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Closed Thread

post #181 of 209 Old 08-31-2004, 04:36 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Which one of these attachments has the proper numbers to properly adjust the 910? Did someone adjust their 910 to near perfection and then post the numbers so everyone else can use them?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 209 Old 08-31-2004, 08:27 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally posted by mr_shinn
Which one of these attachments has the proper numbers to properly adjust the 910? Did someone adjust their 910 to near perfection and then post the numbers so everyone else can use them?
Every TV is different. Tastes are different. After the set is burned-in it's different than fresh out of the box. Thus, I don't think there exists a single set of values that's near perfect for everyone.

--Dale--
post #183 of 209 Old 09-01-2004, 12:59 PM

Ok, i've decided to try calibrating my 910 after getting a quote from a well known calibrator in SF for arond $485..anyway, which items in the service menu are adjusted to fix over scan? Is it HSIZ(H-SIZE) and/or VSIZ(V-SIZE)??
post #184 of 209 Old 09-01-2004, 08:42 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally posted by mr_shinn
Ok, i've decided to try calibrating my 910 after getting a quote from a well known calibrator in SF for arond $485..anyway, which items in the service menu are adjusted to fix over scan? Is it HSIZ(H-SIZE) and/or VSIZ(V-SIZE)??
There are very many settings that control the size geometry because there are many display modes and many inputs. You can't go by the name, really. My philosophy is to send the "right" signal to the TV so that you don't need to monkey with the size in the service menu (resolution within a resolution). The problem with selecting a calibrator is that they may not be familiar with the PC, and if not, that could throw them for a loop. If they are familiar with the PC, then you should get a quote for setting up your computer desktop resolution too!

--Dale--
post #185 of 209 Old 09-03-2004, 12:58 AM

OK, after making some geometry adjustments using DVE and my momitsu 720p dvd player, I was able to reduce overscan to a minimal factor. But overscan is still present on my PC! It seems to have something to do with the resolution. I tried both 720p and 1080i resolutions but nothing seems to get rid of it. It isn't the TV because if I reduce the HPOS or HSIZE anymore, there will be underscan so i've ruled out that possibility. So I guess I need power strip to create myown custom timing. Oh BTW there seems to be a lot of "flickering" when ever I trie to use 1920x1080i. Is there a way to reduce flicker in windows with that resolution? I'm using an ATI radeon X800XT with the latest Catalysts and the new Control Center. TIA
post #186 of 209 Old 09-04-2004, 12:37 AM
ADU
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked: 176
Does 720p flicker? If you're using the ATI HDTV component adapter, isn't there something like a 1000i mode (instead of 1080i) that should eliminate the overscan?

ADU
post #187 of 209 Old 09-09-2004, 08:09 AM
Advanced Member

Does anyone know if the 910 service menu has the following setting:

"Complete V-PIN and V-CEN adjustments first and adjust HPTZ to straighten and parallel top and bottom lines"

?

Basically, is there an HPTZ adjustment on the 910? The line above is from the 960 service manual, and I wanted to know if the 910 had this same option. It seems that this option on the 960 allows you to straighten horizontal (?) lines.
post #188 of 209 Old 09-10-2004, 03:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally posted by tennberg
Basically, is there an HPTZ adjustment on the 910? The line above is from the 960 service manual, and I wanted to know if the 910 had this same option. It seems that this option on the 960 allows you to straighten horizontal (?) lines.
I think you mean HTPZ (Horizontal Trapezoid?) It's in the 2170D-1 menu and is on the XBR910 and HS420/510 series.

Need help with your Motorola DVR? Check the Wikibook: How to use a Motorola DVR
post #189 of 209 Old 09-12-2004, 01:26 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Alan Sh

To set NORMAL I used the fact that the picture should be 22.2 inches wide and used the MID1 settings above. For NORMAL this creates the size and position of the 4:3 window but does not correct overscan within the window. To do this I put the DVE title 12 chapter 17 1.33 overscan pattern up and used the following registers:
MID3 0 VDHP horizontal position
MID3 1 VDHS horizontal size
MID3 3 VDVS vertical size
I tried adjusting these registers on my TV to fix a horizontal stretch on one of my inputs. I only want to adjust the horizontal size and position in my "Normal" 4:3 window for VIDEO 6. However, these settings seem to adjust ALL video inputs.

Does anyone know what registers I could change if I wanted only Video 6 corrected? Thanks!
post #190 of 209 Old 09-12-2004, 08:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by fubarduck
I tried adjusting these registers on my TV to fix a horizontal stretch on one of my inputs. I only want to adjust the horizontal size and position in my "Normal" 4:3 window for VIDEO 6. However, these settings seem to adjust ALL video inputs.

Does anyone know what registers I could change if I wanted only Video 6 corrected? Thanks!
Be aware that Vid5 and 6 share settings, and in many cases, that is also shared with Vid7 (DVI/HDMI).

For the actual 'window' in 4:3 mode, you adjust MID1/MDHP, MDVP, MDHS, MDVS. This adjusts where the actual scanning takes place. Adjust it so that the width is 1.3 times the height. Use a ruler or tape measure and a calculator. Be aware that if you make adjustments in 2170D-1 (vertical) or 2170D-2 (horizontal), you may need to retweak the MID1 settings. You can make it wider than 1.3:1 (4:3), but you will then need to adjust overscan so that there is less horizontal than vertical to keep the aspect ratio even.

For the video seen inside that window, you use MID2 settings for 480i signals. There are settings for RF+V1-V4, and another for Vid 5-7. There are also separate settings for TwinView modes, Zoom modes, freeze frame, index, favorites. If you try to adjust DRHS too small, the picture will lose sync. I try to keep the vertical size at the default 120 for single screen modes, as I think changing that causes the TV to add or delete scan lines, not actually adjust the beam scanning (which is done by VSIZ).

For 480p/720p/1080i, use MID3/VIDHP,VDHS,VDVE,VDVS.

On widescreen CRT models, some of the 2170D-2 settings (HSIZ, SLIN, MPIN, PIN, PINO, UCP, LCP, PPHA) are separate for WideZoom (non-linear stretch) mode.

On my 30XBR910, I've been able to adjust it to 3% overscan. If I try to set HSIZ lower to get it down to 2.5%, I start to get a bit of compression on the very far left, which shows up as a slight increase in brightness at the extreme left edge.

post #191 of 209 Old 09-12-2004, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by andyross63
Be aware that Vid5 and 6 share settings, and in many cases, that is also shared with Vid7 (DVI/HDMI).

For the actual 'window' in 4:3 mode, you adjust MID1/MDHP, MDVP, MDHS, MDVS. This adjusts where the actual scanning takes place. Adjust it so that the width is 1.3 times the height. Use a ruler or tape measure and a calculator. Be aware that if you make adjustments in 2170D-1 (vertical) or 2170D-2 (horizontal), you may need to retweak the MID1 settings. You can make it wider than 1.3:1 (4:3), but you will then need to adjust overscan so that there is less horizontal than vertical to keep the aspect ratio even.

For the video seen inside that window, you use MID2 settings for 480i signals. There are settings for RF+V1-V4, and another for Vid 5-7. There are also separate settings for TwinView modes, Zoom modes, freeze frame, index, favorites. If you try to adjust DRHS too small, the picture will lose sync. I try to keep the vertical size at the default 120 for single screen modes, as I think changing that causes the TV to add or delete scan lines, not actually adjust the beam scanning (which is done by VSIZ).

For 480p/720p/1080i, use MID3/VIDHP,VDHS,VDVE,VDVS.
Sorry, but I'm trying to adjust my VIDEO 6 for a source that is actually sent to my HDTV incorrectly. It is an X-Box game which is impossible to correct from the system itself (it's a glitch). The X-Box sends the signal on this particular game WAYYY overly stretched. Therefore, I wanted to adjust it so that if I plugged my X-Box into VIDEO 6, the stretching would be corrected, but in VIDEO 5, there would be no change. If ALL of the horizontal size and horizontal position settings are universal for VIDEO 5 and VIDEO 6, then there is no way for me to fix this game, because I run a ton of stuff on VIDEO 5 in Progressive Scan, and all of my 480p material on VIDEO 5 will be squished if I make the corrections to VIDEO 6 with the MID3 VDHP and VDHS registers.

Please let me know if it is possible to correct this problem on my 30XBR910.
post #192 of 209 Old 09-13-2004, 03:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Is it stretched horizontally or vertically? Why not just play that one troublesome game using the S-Video or composite inputs on V1-V4? I'd probably complain the game company for not writing the game to properly play in HD. I don't konw much about the X-Box, but is HD and/or widescreen support required of games? Or is it something you need to carefully read the instructions about?

post #193 of 209 Old 09-13-2004, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Is it stretched horizontally or vertically?

Horizontally.
Quote:
Why not just play that one troublesome game using the S-Video or composite inputs on V1-V4?

Because I want to play it in Progressive Scan. I don't want to go through the trouble of unhooking my component cable and hooking an S-Video cable to my X-Box every time I want to play this game, and I also don't want to go through the trouble of going to my X-Box settings and disabling 480p every time, then re-enabling it when I'm done, which is the other option.
Quote:

I'd probably complain the game company for not writing the game to properly play in HD.

Funny you mention that! I DID complain to the game company for having this glitch weeks before its release, but my request was ignored and the game is still shipping with the glitch. See the thread here:
Progressive scan bug fixed in US version?
Quote:

I don't konw much about the X-Box, but is HD and/or widescreen support required of games? Or is it something you need to carefully read the instructions about?
HD and Widescreen support are not required of X-Box games.

The new game for X-Box that has this glitch is called Guilty Gear X2: #Reload. The problem isn't that it doesn't support 480p or any HD modes, the problem is that it DOES support 480p, but its implementation is done incorrectly. If you would like a full description of the glitch, please see the thread I linked to above in which I explain the problem in great detail.

Back to the matter at hand--I wasn't asking for a workaround, I was asking if it was possible to fix the problem with my TV's service menu. That's why I posted here in the first place. All I need to know is if I can use my XBR910's service menu to correct the horizontal stretching on VIDEO 6, still have Progressive Scan, and not affect any material on VIDEO 5. A simple "Yes, it's possible, and these are the registers that can be used to do so", or "No, it's not possible" would be adequate.
post #194 of 209 Old 09-13-2004, 04:45 PM

Adequately replying, no.
post #195 of 209 Old 09-13-2004, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by loadams
Adequately replying, no.
Thanks. I'll trust you're right, as I haven't heard of any registers to fix overscan of an image within the 4x3 window besides MID3 0-3. I'll just have to accept that there is no way to fix this problem on the TV end unless anyone knows some other register that will only affect the overscan settings for 480p in a 4:3 window on VIDEO 6.
post #196 of 209 Old 09-14-2004, 04:11 PM
AVS Special Member

When it stretched, does the TV automatically switch to FULL mode? For 480p, I think you can change the Wide Mode with the remote. Just change it so it's NORMAL. You'll probably have to do that each time you start the game, but hopefully it won't keep switching out while playing.

post #197 of 209 Old 09-14-2004, 07:03 PM

Quote:
When it stretched, does the TV automatically switch to FULL mode? For 480p, I think you can change the Wide Mode with the remote. Just change it so it's NORMAL. You'll probably have to do that each time you start the game, but hopefully it won't keep switching out while playing.
Did you even listen to what I said? Click on the link I already posted two messages ago, in which I explained the problem in specific detail. There are even pictures if you don't get it. I'm not an idiot, why do you think I'd be seeking SERVICE MENU settings if it were something that simple? I know what 4:3 mode and 16:9 mode are, buddy.

The game in question is a 4:3 game. I play it in a 4:3 window, just like I play all 4:3 games. The game stretches itself WITHIN THE 4:3 WINDOW. I swear I'm starting to sound like a ****** for having to repeat myself so much.

I appreciate your help, but I don't appreciate your trying to answer my question without even reading it. Please read my question, and then answer it.

My question, for the umpteenth time, was if it is possible to adjust the horizontal position and horizontal size in VIDEO 6 for 480p and not affect the horizontal position and/or horizontal size in VIDEO 5. Please focus on this paragraph if you would still be willing to reply and be helpful. Sorry, but it's hard not to be a jerk when you've had to type the exact same thing 10+ times and people still don't get it. There are even pictures man! Look at the pictures.
post #198 of 209 Old 09-15-2004, 04:19 AM

Me don't gets it.

*me runs and hide*

Just kidding...

btw, what was the questions about?

two wrongs don't make a right, it makes an even.
post #199 of 209 Old 09-15-2004, 06:47 AM

Ahm lost deep in the heart of Texas! I will however keep on reading these emotion filled posts.
post #200 of 209 Old 11-06-2004, 04:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
At the risk of being laughed off this thread, I had my monitor calibrated professionally ages ago, but at some point I managed to screw up my Picture and Brightness settings from simply pressing Menu/Video. I really don't want to go delving into the service menu myself. Does anyone know what these two levels should be at?

My sincere thanks to everyone who makes AVSforum such an awesome resource.
post #201 of 209 Old 02-17-2005, 08:27 PM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally posted by ADU
The other major difference I noticed on my TV was Color saturation. Color needed to be set about 5 ticks higher for DVI to acheive the same saturation as my component input. If you don't have a way of calibrating the DVI input directly, these tweaks may help. But calibrating for DVI (and component, if you're using both) is probably best.
ADU, NTN1, anyone else still following this thread, My component inputs are calibrated. I recently built an HTPC, which I am connecting through DVI . I have also connected the same over component. I am noticing the DVI is definitely darker, less color saturated and has less contrast. I need to tweak the DVI input for brightness, color saturation and contrast, without touching the other inputs (specially components). So far I have figured out that the way to do so would be
1. 2170P-3 UBOF for Brighytness
2. 2170P-3 UCOF or 2170P-4 SCOL for color saturation (which one?)
3. 2170P-4 SPIC or 2170P-4 UPIC for contrast (which one?)

Is that correct? Or I am missing something?

Also, when I calibrated following the NTN1's post, I had to adjust
2170P-4 RYR
2170P-4 RYB
2170P-4 GYR
2170P-4 GYB
for proper decoder adjustment. Are they input independent? Or do I have to adjust them again for DVI?

Thank You!
post #202 of 209 Old 02-18-2005, 08:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Look under Sony in the Popular Threads ...Umr does is a good place to see step by step of how to change.....The numbers will be different of coarse with different model ....But will help you ...Your on the right track on the settings....then go back & forth to get the balance right for each input....
post #203 of 209 Old 02-18-2005, 08:54 AM
AVS Special Member

P.S. the first of this thread also gives you the info...Page one....G.B.
post #204 of 209 Old 02-18-2005, 09:40 AM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Thank You. I read the entire thread but still have the questions I asked.
Do you have a link to the umr thread?
post #205 of 209 Old 02-18-2005, 10:58 AM
AVS Special Member

OK, Yes, UBOF Brightness,UPOF Picture, UCOF Color, would be where you want to be when you change it for the different inputs...G.B.
post #206 of 209 Old 02-18-2005, 05:33 PM
Advanced Member

I've had this TV for over a year, I guess, and it's always had this problem. It hasn't really bothered me, but now I'm watching more and noticing it more. It's going to be hard to describe, so please have patience.

Watching some TV show (high definition), and during a dark scene, there is a slightly brighter vertical band that passes over the screen from right to left. I suppose it's always happening, but I only notice it when it's a dark scene. You can actually see it better if you focus your eyes in the direction of the screen, but not directly at the screen. It moves from right to left in maybe about 1/2 second. It's not a line, but just an area of slightly more brightness, maybe about an inch or two wide (but it doesn't have 'edges', so width is sort of hard to pinpoint.

This thing happens when I'm watching a component input from a home theater PC that's set to output 1920x1080i (MyHD tuner). From what I understand, the Sony puts everything through its converter, even though it's already 1080i; I thought that maybe that had something to do with it.

Any ideas on what people call this artifact? I figured that if I knew what to call it, I could learn more about it, what causes it, etc.

--Dale--
post #207 of 209 Old 02-19-2005, 10:10 AM
AVS Special Member

I think that is usually associated with either electrical or antenna interference. I used to see something like that if I had my antenna hooked up and the overhead fan was turned on. I would try it without the antenna, and then try turning off various electrical sources and other ideas to see if it's an external source.

My sincere thanks to everyone who makes AVSforum such an awesome resource.
post #208 of 209 Old 02-19-2005, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by sengsational
I've had this TV for over a year, I guess, and it's always had this problem. It hasn't really bothered me, but now I'm watching more and noticing it more. It's going to be hard to describe, so please have patience.

Watching some TV show (high definition), and during a dark scene, there is a slightly brighter vertical band that passes over the screen from right to left. I suppose it's always happening, but I only notice it when it's a dark scene. You can actually see it better if you focus your eyes in the direction of the screen, but not directly at the screen. It moves from right to left in maybe about 1/2 second. It's not a line, but just an area of slightly more brightness, maybe about an inch or two wide (but it doesn't have 'edges', so width is sort of hard to pinpoint.

This thing happens when I'm watching a component input from a home theater PC that's set to output 1920x1080i (MyHD tuner). From what I understand, the Sony puts everything through its converter, even though it's already 1080i; I thought that maybe that had something to do with it.

Any ideas on what people call this artifact? I figured that if I knew what to call it, I could learn more about it, what causes it, etc.

--Dale--
Dale,

The 1080i "Vertical Banding" that you are describing is a known issue with Sony HDTV sets, you should be able to do a search for "Vertical Banding" in this forum and find a step by step solution to your problem. Depending on whether your set has the new "B board" or not you will find that the solution just involves some pretty minor adjustments in the service menu.

Hope this helps, PM me if you can't find the link doing a search.
post #209 of 209 Old 02-22-2005, 05:00 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Halfrican
Dale,

The 1080i "Vertical Banding" that you are describing is a known issue with Sony HDTV sets...
Thank you kind sir, I will go on the 'vertical banding' quest shortly. I'll report back here with results.

--Dale--
Closed Thread Direct View (single tube) CRT Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page