Sony 34XBR910 Service Menu Adjustments - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Closed Thread

post #1 of 209 Old 08-28-2003, 03:23 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am still breaking in my TV while waiting for the Digital VE calibration disc. I want to start a thread on the 910 calibration so people can get started.

Attached is the baseline of my 910's Service Menu with factory defaults. Note that the default values here apply to 1080i feed, using video 5 component in, 16x9 HD Full display, Standard brightness, Color 35-40%, Color Temp Neutral, ClearEdge VM Off, all other settings untouched. This spreadsheet is based on the XBR800 file posted by ragamuffin here

Items in RED are new for the 910 (compares to the XBR800 menu). Sony has added 11 more dynamic convergence adjustments to a total of 25 parameters. There are 15 new adjustments under the new category called "LANDING". Also, CBOP & CROP (not sure what they are) were added to the 2170P-1 category.

I'll post many before/after pictures and update the file with my adjustment values after I calibrate my TV in the next few weeks. Please contribute with your comments and findings. Thanks.

Edited on 9/22/03: Attached is my calibration procedures and data.

34xbr910 calibration.zip 94.7998046875k . file

34xbr910 calibration.zip 94.7998046875k . file
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 209 Old 08-29-2003, 11:36 AM - Thread Starter

Attached is version 2 of the Service Menu baseline. I added the 480i/video1-in defaults. The default values will be different for 480p, and 480i/component-in. Since I only use this set to view 1080i materials, I am just too lazy to go through other modes at this time.

34xbr910 service menu v2.zip 21.77734375k . file

34xbr910 service menu v2.zip 21.77734375k . file
post #3 of 209 Old 08-29-2003, 11:52 PM

NTN1,

Thanks for publishing your copy of the XBR910 Service Data Lists.

I compared it to the lists for the XBR800.

The following are new items:

2170P-1 CBOP,CROP
D-CONV HVCA,SRSP,SRUM,SRUB,SRLM,SRLB,SLSP,SLUM,SLUB,SLLM,SLLB
LANDING LT,LB,RT,RB,EWSP,ENSW,TESW,DHMT,LDVM,LVSW,LVPH,HSZO,SLNO,MPN O,
PINO

The following was in the 800 but no longer in the 910:
2170D_4 DHMT

Most of the changes seem to relate to the convergence and focusing, not surprising since the biggest change between the XBR800 and the XBR910 is the tighter focus on the electron beams. All the other chips seem to be the same.

Would someone with a new XBR910 be so kind as to publish the chassis name. On the XBR800, the chassis name is DA4 and it is written on the back of the set just to the right of the date of manufacture.

Should any XBR910 experience the infamous scrolling bar and end up getting the same patch as the XBR800 (HDPT), could you ask the technician if the XBR910 has the same 'B' board as the the XBR800, that being the version A-1300-325-A or A-1300-327-A, which is etched onto the board in the lower left hand corner of the component side of the board, or printed on a paper sticker affixed to the board.

Thanks
post #4 of 209 Old 08-30-2003, 07:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Liked: 83
Just a quick general question.

Does getting into the Service Menu, assuming they find out, void the XBR 2-year warranty?

I know people want the best out of their set but the 2-year warranty was one of this product's best assets.
post #5 of 209 Old 08-30-2003, 07:52 AM
Advanced Member

The chassis name is DA-4.

USE THIS INFORMATION AT YOUR OWN RISK.

Service Manual information

The service manual can be ordered from 1-800-488-7669. There is one manual for both the KV-30XRB910 and the KV-34XBR910. The cost is $63 plus shipping and state tax. Most of it is comprised of schematics and a parts list. It is missing a description of the P-1 and P-2 registers. I would think that most buyers would be disappointed.

A couple of items might be added to the spreadsheet.

categorynext=2
categoryprevious=5

This allows you to reach the desired registers more quickly.

The manual does contain several bits of information to help avoiding a disaster.
"Note: Be careful when using the remote! It will clear and re-initalize ALL NV/M data including deflection adjustment data if not reset properly as follows."
Since 7-jump-enter and 7-9-enter reset the NVM data, I would avoid 7.

To check if memory has been written, the manual suggests pulling the plug from the AC outlet and then reentering the service mode to see if the items were adjusted.

When you hit muting the upper right item on the screen will change to a green WRITE. If you hit enter within about two seconds, WRITE will change to red. This rewrites all items, not just the item you are currently adjusting.

If you think you may have changed something inadvertedly, power off. If you see something really strange, I would pull the plug from the AC outlet.
Precautions I took
1. In the above spread sheet I stored my 548 values for input 5 FULL mode. They turned out to be at least 90% the same as column D.
2. I changed the MID1 register 8 by 1. I then powered off and reentered the service menu. I saw that that the original value was intact. This gave me confidence that if I ever thought that I had made a mistake( and this has happened) I could simply power off.
3. If I have looked around a lot before I find what I want to change, I power off and reenter immediately before making the change.
4. The first few times after making a change, I exit and reenter to make sure the change was made.
5. One way I have gotten in trouble is by hitting the 2 or 5 instead of the 1 or 4. Then d not check carefully that I am at the correct register, I end up changing a register somewhere else entirely. On my RCA I once changed a register whose function or value I did not remember. The fact that I had written down all the values saved me.

Correcting Picture tilt
This can be done from the user menu. MENU|Setup| Tilt Correction

To enter service menu
1. Power off
2. Hit in sequence DISPLAY, 5, Volume +, Power. If done correctly 2 or 3 green lines of information will appear at the top of the screen. If not, try hitting the keys either more rapidly or more slowly.

Horizontal and vertical position and size
There are separate settings for Normal and Full.
MID1 8 MDHP horizontal position
MID1 9 MDVP vertical postion
MID1 10 MDHS horizontal size
MID1 11 MDVS vertical size

To set NORMAL I used the fact that the picture should be 22.2 inches wide and used the MID1 settings above. For NORMAL this creates the size and position of the 4:3 window but does not correct overscan within the window. To do this I put the DVE title 12 chapter 17 1.33 overscan pattern up and used the following registers:
MID3 0 VDHP horizontal position
MID3 1 VDHS horizontal size
MID3 3 VDVS vertical size

Reducing extra brightness on first line or two of 2.35 movies
MID5 register 3 is MVLY Changed 0 to a 1.

Adjusting black levels in the SM
As pointed out by NTN1 a global black adjustment can be made with 2170P-1 SRBT. User black adjustment for a specific signal(i.e.1080i) can be made with 2170P-3 UBOF.
I adjusted my DVD player black level in the user menu and did not make a global adjustment. I then increased UBOF from 1 to 6 on a 1080i signal.
This means that I no longer have to adjust brightness every time that I switch signals. So far that has worked for my Samsung T165, JVC 30K, and two Pioneer 5100HD cable modems. It is my guess that an increase of 1 in UBOF is equivalent to an increase of 2 in the user menu.
post #6 of 209 Old 09-10-2003, 02:49 PM - Thread Starter

My Digital VE disc was shipped on Monday, and should arrive any day now. I am getting ready for calibration.

In addition to whatever procedure recommended in the disc, I'll try to implement as much as possible what I learned from the following sources:

How to Calibrate a TV by Anthony Haukap

Sony Grand Wega XBR Tweaks KF-50XBR800/KF-60XBR800 by AVS member umr

The 910 adjustment values will be different, but the above sources will be a great start to understand TV calibration better. Since I don't have a color analyzer, I am going to have to eyeball the color temperature using the methods recommended by Mr. Haukap in Paragraphs 3.6b, 3.6c, 3.6d.

I'll return to this thread in a couple of weeks to post my findings, along with my 910's calibration values.
post #7 of 209 Old 09-10-2003, 08:54 PM

NTN and others:

Would you recommend this newbie to wait for DVE to arrive before adjusting values in the Service Menu? And SHOULD I follow similar configurations on the 910 despite the majority of my viewing being analog? Much appreciation. Thanks.

Kid
post #8 of 209 Old 09-10-2003, 09:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Liked: 83
Is the DVE only useful if you intend to go into the Service Menu?

Or does it help just using the consumer menu adjustments?
post #9 of 209 Old 09-11-2003, 10:03 AM - Thread Starter

KidA,

You and I are all newbies. Just like you, I am here to learn, and share what I know. The calibration disc will give you the necessary test patterns to reveal the shortcoming of your display. My thoughts:

1/ Don't touch the Service Menu unless you know exactly what you are changing. If you have to change it, make minimum effective changes. If you don't see any noticeable improvement, go back the the original value. Of course, before doing anything, establish your own baseline such as the file I posted at the beginning of this thread. It's very important to keep a record of your original factory values.

2/ There is no sense of changing the service menu unless you have the appropriate test patterns to show you what needs to be adjusted. So yes, you should wait for your calibration disc before messing with the service menu.

3/ My tweaks will be for 480p/480i because my DVD player, which will play the Digital VE disc, can only output 480i/480p. Many parameters will be input independent. Other settings can be duplicated across inputs. For those 1080i-specific adjustments, I can still be creative. Occasionally, HDNet broadcasts 1080i video test patterns. I'll just have to wait for those if I have to.

----------------------------------

wco81,

Calibration disc such as VE, Digital VE, AVIA, etc. will help a lot even if you just want to adjust the user menu. Only you can decide what level of calibration you want to do to your TV. Some people will pay for ISF. Others like me will tackle the job themselves. Still, others are just happy with the basic user menu.

As for me, I need the service menu for geometry (including overscan), and color temperature adjustments at the very least. Depending on what the Digital VE test patterns reveal, I may need the service menu to adjust the convergence, and focus as well. If I have red push, then only the service menu will fix it. And so on ...

My 910's picture right now looks perfect to everybody that has seen it. The calibration info that I'll post here will let people know what kind of improvement can be done on the seemingly perfect out-of-the-box picture.

Consider this simple color/tint setup as described in Haukap's Section 3.7 and here , you will need to use the color filters, or manually turning on/off the individual electron guns. Many people will use the color filters (some do it because they don't have a choice). I prefer turning on/off the electron guns because I can do it in the service menu, and it's more accurate.

It's too early to tell what I can/can not achieve. Two more weeks, then you'll know.

Edited to fix http link, and reference to Haukap's calibration instructions
post #10 of 209 Old 09-11-2003, 06:32 PM - Thread Starter

Attached is the ISF data sheet mentioned in the "calibration of my 34xbr910" thread by iSSues.

Before calibration, his TV color temp was running high at around 9K across all IRE levels (BTW, my 910 exhibits the same symptom comparing to the 6.5K output of my computer monitor). Blue tracking accuracy was also off. Thanks iSSues for providing the data.

910 isf data from issues.zip 65.751953125k . file

910 isf data from issues.zip 65.751953125k . file
post #11 of 209 Old 09-12-2003, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by NTN1
I am still breaking in my TV
My 34XBR910 arrives today.

Exactly what is the break in period and how should I break the TV in?
post #12 of 209 Old 09-12-2003, 10:57 AM - Thread Starter

jayfsee007,

The experts recommend at least 100 hours before cabliration. I have been watching TV for at least 5 hours/day for the past 28 days. That should be enough for me.

Before the actual cal, let your TV operates for at least an hour.

When you do any color comparison by eyeballing, don't look at your TV for more than a couple of minutes at a time because your eyes can fool you by adapting to subtle color differences. Ignore this comment if you have an optical color comparator.
post #13 of 209 Old 09-13-2003, 01:57 PM

Thanks for the info NTN1. You seem pretty knowledgeable and I'm wondering if you could give me your opinion on another 34XBR910 issue.

I have my 34XBTR910 hooked up to a Denon DVD-1600 through component progressive scan.

On films with an aspect ratio of 2.35 : 1, the TV will of course display small black letter box bars.
On this TV, the first one or two lines of pixels after the black bars is lighter in color than the rest of the picture.
The effect is is almost as if someone has drawn a light colored line dividing the black bar and the picture.

Here are my questions;

Is this something to do with overscanning or underscanning?
Is it something an ISF Tecnicial could fix in the service menu?

Your opinion would be greatly appreciated.
post #14 of 209 Old 09-14-2003, 08:27 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 106
I just got the 30xbr910 and I wanted fix the horizontal underscan on it. Now my questions is a few posts above me someone said

"When you hit muting the upper right item on the screen will change to a green WRITE. If you hit enter within about two seconds, WRITE will change to red. This rewrites all items, not just the item you are currently adjusting."

Now this cares me! I have done adjustments on other sony tvs but this is new to me, I mean it changes ALL settings. SO how would I save just the adjustments I made to the Horizontal size without hurting other settings? Any help would be great!!! This tv does indeed rock! Thank you!
post #15 of 209 Old 09-14-2003, 08:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Could you turn off your TV and unplug it for a bit, then plug it in, turn it on, make the one change that you want to make, and then WRITE that change. Would this be the best way to absolutely ensure that you don't write an inadvertent setting permanently?

Stuart -- my AV setup
post #16 of 209 Old 09-14-2003, 05:10 PM

I REALLY need to know how to change one setting ( Horizontal size) thats all! I dont want to mess with any thing else, how can I do this with out messing it up? Clicking mute then enter to save it should be ok right? PLease anyone help me figure this out, thank you!
post #17 of 209 Old 09-14-2003, 07:45 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
If i where you guys i would pay someone to do this all for you. My guy fixed everything fro 275.00 but we paid 2500.00 for the TV. So we want a 100 pic out of it. When it's done the black's look so rich and the color is much more life like not all bright which i hate. my over scan if fix,red push gone black and dark colors prefect. Up to you guys but 275.oo is not that much money.
post #18 of 209 Old 09-14-2003, 09:04 PM
ADU
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked: 176
Quote:
I REALLY need to know how to change one setting ( Horizontal size) thats all! I dont want to mess with any thing else, how can I do this with out messing it up? Clicking mute then enter to save it should be ok right? PLease anyone help me figure this out, thank you!
The only way you can change values in the service menu that I'm aware of is by pressing the 3 and 6 buttons on the remote. If you change just 2170D-2/HSIZ with these buttons, and don't mess with any of the other settings, I don't see why there should be a problem

ADU
post #19 of 209 Old 09-14-2003, 09:26 PM

Thank you ADU!!! I did exaclty what I died with my old wega, I changed the h size and pressed mute then enter, and presto no underscan!! Is underscan a common thing? I know overscan is but underscan? Seems kinda weird, and yes it was set on full screen mode so it shouldn't have space on the sides. Anyway I am anxious to change the convergence on this baby, if its similar in style to a pc monitor I can do it no probs, the schemetics for the 910 seem straightforward enough on the convergence. The top of mine is off ( red) and the left ( red ) and the right (blue). The picture needs to have the horizontal convergence brought down. alittle. Do you have any suggestion ADU? It seems the 910 has alot more settings for convergence! Thanks!
post #20 of 209 Old 09-15-2003, 10:44 AM - Thread Starter

I have finished the initial calibration of my 910 for 480i/component-video-5-input using Digital VE. The adjustments cover the geometry (including overscan), brightness/contrast, color decoder (color/tint), color temperature (D65/6500K gray scale, white level), and convergence. I'll try to verify the tweaks with 480p tonight, after MNF, and 1080i HD tomorrow morning, using HDNet HD test patterns. FYI, the broadcast is 7:30-8:00AM EDT on HDNet.

I'll post initial comments later today. Soon, I'll post my calibration data for all 1080i/480p/480i inputs, and procedures.

---------------------
jayfsee007,

I have watched numerous 1080i HD letter-boxed movies from HDNet Movie, HBO HD, and Showtime HD. Most of them didn't have the lighter scan letter-box line(s). Few movies did have them. The light scan lines must have come with the source signal.

Over the weekend, I watched Super Speedway II on three different progressive-scan DVD players on my 910, using component video 5 input. The letter-boxed segment came out nice and clean, with no lighter scan lines at all at the top or bottom of the picture.

I don't think the lighter letter box lines come from the 910, and therefore, not fixable in the service menu. Yours could come from the DVD itself or the DVD player. It has nothing to do with over/under-scanning.

I assumed that you saw this problem on all DVDs that you played on the 910, and that the problem only presented itself on the 910 and not on any other TV. Correct? Check your DVD player's picture quality settings. Maybe there are some enhancement features that are not compatible with the 910. More on this when I write up my calibration report. Sorry I can not help you more.
post #21 of 209 Old 09-16-2003, 10:39 AM - Thread Starter

HDNet 1080i video test patterns ran for 10 minutes this morning. I only had time to check color/tint, and geometry position. I'll check the brightness/contrast, and other parameters in future broadcasts.

The three DVD players that I used to play the Digital VE (DVE) disc for calibration all had slightly different black levels when all enhancements were disabled. It was impossible to tell which one was correct. The DVD players were all progressive scan, and could output blacker-than-black: Sony DVP-S530D, JVC XV-N44, and Panasonic DVD-S31.

When you calibrate your TV using a calibration disc, you actually tune it to your DVD player. It's fine if the only thing you care to watch is DVD. If you watch a lot of broadcast HD programs, either OTA or DirecTV, it's important to verify your tweaks with broadcast test patterns.

I now have all 1080i/480i/480p values. Most of values that I originally adjusted in 480i also affected the 480p and 1080i. Early comments on my 910's out-of-the-box performance in Pro-Warm mode with the DVE test patterns:

Geometry: very good overall. This is the toughest one. I spent over 12 hours tweaking, and it's still not perfect. Some of the grids lines are still not completely straight. Will try again later. The picture was just over 5% overscan, and off center a bit. It's now less than 4% overall, and dead center. Linearity was a little off. It's now near perfect.

Brightness/contrast: In Pro-Warm mode, the picture was slightly dark by calibration standard. Both sub-contrast, and sub-brightness had to be boosted a little bit.

Color/tint: there was red push. The color decoder was precisely corrected by reducing red chroma (increase value) and boosting green chroma (decrease value). Sub-color saturation had to be boosted a bit as well. Sub-hue (tint) was almost perfect, just one tick off (from 30 to 29).

Color temperature: Using 2 computer monitors (Sony and Dell) as references, the 910 out-of-the-box color temp was around 8000K in Pro-Warm mode. I was able to get it to very near 6500K by reducing Blue Amp (BDRV), and Blue Bias (BCUT) quite a lot. Green Amp, and Green Bias were turned down a little bit as well.

Convergence: Using DVE grid test pattern, you can only adjust the red/blue on the left/right sides of a white vertical line. You can not fix the red/blue on top/bottom sides of a white horizontal line. Thank God the 910 was very good with the horizontal-line convergence. My 910 only had the red off by one horizontal scan line in the upper right corner. Convergence were improved a bit through the Service menu. Perfection was impossible, unless I opened up the box, and started messing with the circuitry.

I am documenting the procedures, and data. I'll post both in a few days. Stay tuned.
post #22 of 209 Old 09-16-2003, 07:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 11
NTN,

You can do all this with digital VE? How do you know you are at 6500 without an analyzer?

thx

bob
post #23 of 209 Old 09-17-2003, 08:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Yep, I had the same exact question. I watched most of DVE last night and other than having a b**** of a time navigating it, it didn't really seem to contain much more info than the original version. They still discuss things as if we are using old analog CRT's and just have a brief mention of the new digital sets in the "Troubleshooting" section. I guess it's possible I just fell asleep when they put up some new/better test to set white and black levels with these sets, but I didn't think so. I do LOVE how they did the three color filters mounted in cardboard. Very cool and MUCH easier not to get them all goobered up with hand and finger schmegma. :)

I'll be interested to see how the heck I get to the more advanced test patterns and such. I couldn't seem to get there once I was actually watching the DVD itself. Also, setting gray scale without a color analyzer would be AWESOME... though I have no idea how you would do that and I don't recall them mentioning it... other than perhaps using that handheld filter looking thing and comparing. I can't recall what they called it in the DVD. Anyone?

Later,
Jeff
post #24 of 209 Old 09-17-2003, 09:34 AM - Thread Starter

spongebob,

You can do all of those with any calibration disc: AVIA, VE, or DVE. For the 6500K tweak without a color analyzer, I used 2 computer monitors, a Kodak 18% neutral gray photographic card, and an overcast/cloudy sky.

The 6500K outputs of my computer monitors were somewhat different, although their 9300K were very much similar. I used them mainly to get the overall color temp down close to the estimated 6500K range, then used the gray card under natural overcast light to hone in on the exact setting.

First, I put the DVE-12/14 reversed gray ramps on the 910, and this grayscale chart on the monitors flanking on both sides of the TV.

The chart was enlarged to fill the entire monitor screen. By switching the monitors between 5000K, 6500K, and 9300K, while looking at the 910, I saw how "cool" the out-of-the-box 910 picture was even in Pro-Warm mode. The uncalibrated 910 kind of matched the 8000K of one monitor, which had variable color temp setting.

Next, I adjusted BCUT & GCUT to get the low-IRE bars to come fairly close to those of the monitors. Then I tweaked the BDRV & GDRV to bring the color temp of the high-IRE bars down to the approximate 6500K of the computer monitors. Finally, I used the gray card to hone in on the settings. Most likely, the 18% gray card would match one of the bars in term of brightness. I repeated this process many times to get a color temp match. A wrong match would give a greenish, or reddish/purplish picture. In the end, my 910's grayscale appeared much warmer, and had the neutral gray color of the photographic card. The 100 IRE closely matched the white overcast sky. That was good enough for me.

Already, I could see differences in color and brightness/contrast levels between HD/SD programs through my Hughes E86, and the calibrated DVD programs. The calibrated DVD looked fantastic. The broadcast signals looked darker with higher color saturation. My 910 has only been tuned for my particular DVD player, and not perfectly tuned for broadcast signals through my particular E86 STB yet.

DVE helped getting the calibration very close for broadcast HD. For $275, I could get ISF 1080i calibration with a signal generator, but I would rather wait for more future HDNet broadcasts to get it right.

Edited to correct the DVE pattern #
post #25 of 209 Old 09-17-2003, 12:20 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Iceblade
I'll be interested to see how the heck I get to the more advanced test patterns and such. I couldn't seem to get there once I was actually watching the DVD itself.

If you have a DVD player which allows the title to be numerically entered, then enter the 12-17 number corresponding to the reference card.

On my DVD players in which I have to use the menu command, I almost decided that they are inaccessible when I discovered:

1. If you see Program Menu at the bottom of the screen you are in a sub-menu. Hit Program Menu.
2. The main program menu has Progam Guide as the third item in the left column. Hit it.
3. Now hit the second item in the right column, Reference Materials.
4. This screen shows titles 8-11. Ignore the Return at the bottom of the screen and hit the right arrow beside it.
5. You can now get to titles 12-14. Hit the right arrow if you wish to get to titles 15-17.
6. On the one DVD player I have tested hit play to get to the next chapter. Each chapter is stopped.
post #26 of 209 Old 09-17-2003, 01:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Thanks, Alan. I'll printing this out and taking it home tonight! :)

Regs,
Jeff

Quote:
Originally posted by Alan Sh
If you have a DVD player which allows the title to be numerically entered, then enter the 12-17 number corresponding to the reference card.

On my DVD players in which I have to use the menu command, I almost decided that they are inaccessible when I discovered:

1. If you see Program Menu at the bottom of the screen you are in a sub-menu. Hit Program Menu.
2. The main program menu has Progam Guide as the third item in the left column. Hit it.
3. Now hit the second item in the right column, Reference Materials.
4. This screen shows titles 8-11. Ignore the Return at the bottom of the screen and hit the right arrow beside it.
5. You can now get to titles 12-14. Hit the right arrow if you wish to get to titles 15-17.
6. On the one DVD player I have tested hit play to get to the next chapter. Each chapter is stopped.
post #27 of 209 Old 09-17-2003, 10:23 PM

NTN1. Thanks for your input.

To answer your questions, I am seeing this problem on all 2.35AR DVD's I play. It effects some DVD's more than others.

I've tried Pro mode, with Sharpness at minimum, amd VM off.
I've tried a new DVD Player - the Samsung HD931.

I've run the same DVD at the same time through the 34XBR910 and a Panasonic 27 inch TV. The results were that the lines persisted on the 34XBR910 but were not visible on the Panasonic.

Nothing seems to help.

The TV is adding about two lines of lighter pixels and then what appears to be a thin black thread line (not the guide wires) after the black letterbox bars.

Another forum member who has been very helpful said that this may be a convergence issue. How could I tell if the convergence was off ?

Would it be worth my while to pay an ISF tech to come out to my house and look at the problem?

Any thoughts would be appreciated.
post #28 of 209 Old 09-17-2003, 11:39 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally posted by jayfsee007

The TV is adding about two lines of lighter pixels and then what appears to be a thin black thread line (not the guide wires) after the black letterbox bars.

Are you saying the sequence goes top black bar, 2 light lines, black line, movie?

If you have either Avia or DVE it would be interesting to know what you see in the crosshatch test patterns.

Have you tried turning on the progressive scan button located on the left side of the HD931?

Have you called Sony 1-800-222-7669 and see what they say?

I have the HD931 and am not experiencing the problems you describe.
post #29 of 209 Old 09-20-2003, 01:35 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Alan Sh
Are you saying the sequence goes top black bar, 2 light lines, black line, movie?

If you have either Avia or DVE it would be interesting to know what you see in the crosshatch test patterns.

Have you tried turning on the progressive scan button located on the left side of the HD931?

Have you called Sony 1-800-222-7669 and see what they say?

I have the HD931 and am not experiencing the problems you describe.
I am attaching a screenshot from The Fifth Element that should give you some indication of what the problem looks like.

The sequence does go top black bar, 2 light lines, black line, movie.

I have tried both the DVD-1600 and the HD-931 in all modes and I still seem to be experiencing this problem.

To be honest, if I cannot get this figured out within the next day or so the TV is going back.

It may sound cynical but I have no intention of calling Sony so I can sit on hold for half an hour and then be informed by some 16 year old telephone operator that my DVD player is substandard and the cause of the problem because it is not a Sony Product
LL
LL
post #30 of 209 Old 09-20-2003, 07:47 AM

jayfsee007
Closed Thread Direct View (single tube) CRT Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page